[Speculation] Latest On Dakota Joshua

23 hours ago, DeNiro said:

The Canucks should start looking at those former first rounders in the 24-26 age.  

A guy like Max Jones from Anaheim or Riley Tufte might be good bets in the bottom 6. 

Maybe a guy like Jost could even find a place here.

These are the cheap gambles we should be looking at to rebuild that bottom 6. As long as they’ve got the tools to pk.

Oliver Wahlstrom?

I agree with you, this has worked out well for Florida.

22 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Sillinger would be great but I doubt he’d be available.

Imagine a third line of:

Crouse - Sillinger - Garland

I would pay a lot of draft picks for that!

Crouse - Pettersson -

- Miller - Boeser

- Sillinger - Garland

Giuseppe - Suter - 

I think we need to find someone like Crouse to put on Pettersson’s wing. Someone with potential to outperform their contract. Can Crouse get to 30 goals with Pettersson? He’s not too far off right now.

Edited by J-23

1 hour ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

I'm a big Joshua fan based on the impact he had on the team when he wasn't in the lineup and the strength of his pairing with Garland. He missed 25 games and he still had 32 points and those points were often game changers, when the 1st line wasn't scoring. I think folks are really underestimating the value of a quality line in Joshua, Garland, and ? ( Blueger ). I don't see how Lindholm asking for almost 2x of Joshua. There's no way that makes sense. 

The Canucks lacked solid lines and taking away one of our most exciting and inspiring lines seems like a very bad idea. If anything Joshua is the model of the type of player we need.

Agreed. I would be willing to gamble $4M on DJ if we could afford it. It could be a slight overpay - but not a lot and could even become a value deal with cap going up if he kept consistent for the term. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Joshua was delight to watch this season and clearly played his best hockey. The hits, the effort and the drive are all there. I struggle to truly see him as an effective top 6 regularly. The second line wasn’t producing but they were eating a lot of harder minutes. Garland was the driver on that line and Tochet had to teach how to play the right way. I would love to have him back but not at 4 million. Let someone else give him a glorious Anson Carter deal. I think he could repeat his performance here but likely regresses anywhere else. Wish him well regardless. He was great for us this year

• Cheers 1

Canucks could sign bruising winger Duhaime in free agency: report | Offside (dailyhive.com)

Canucks could sign bruising winger Duhaime in free agency

The Vancouver Canucks are reportedly interested in a bruising pending free agent winger.

If Brandon Duhaime makes it to the open market, expect the Canucks to be interested in acquiring his services.

“The Canucks had big interest in Minnesota Wild forward Brandon Duhaime at the trade deadline and I am told today the interest has not gone away,” said CHEK’s Rick Dhaliwal today on the Donnie & Dhali show.

“Keep an eye on Duhaime and the Canucks if he hits July 1.”

The Canucks missed out on Duhaime at the deadline as he was traded to the Colorado Avalanche instead. He had just one point, a goal, in the team’s 11 postseason games. Now the Canucks might get a second chance at acquiring the forward.

The 27-year-old finished last season with five goals and 13 points in 80 games. His career-high points total is 17 in 80 games, which he achieved during his rookie 2021-22 season.

Duhaime brings a physical presence that every team desires in their bottom six. He’s 200 pounds and was fifth among all forwards with at least five games played in playoff hits-per-game. He also broke the 200-hit mark during the regular season.

The former fourth-round draft pick has not shown much of a scoring touch at any level. The most goals he’s ever scored in a season is 15, including his college and junior hockey career. He’s never scored more than nine goals in a season as a professional.

The Canucks development of rugged forward Dakota Joshua into a scoring middle-six winger gives some hope they may be able to do the same with another player. General manager Patrik Allvin said at his year-end press conference that they want to find the “next Dakota Joshua.” Could Duhaime be the type of player he was talking about?

Edited by Déjà Vu

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

If he’s an upgrade on Lafferty sure why not?

If he’s meant to be an upgrade on Joshua then no thanks.

Should be a 4th liner.  Could come in relatively cheap.  $1.5M?

• Cheers 1

I wonder if the Canucks offer Joshua some term to keep the cap hit down in the 3s. Article from this morning is saying his camp is in the 3 while Canucks wants 2s. This sounds a little more realistic. 4 always sounded high. He's got a very small sample size of being an effective NHL player. 

6x 3.35. long deal he gets just over 20M locked up till 34. Pretty ideal. More than if he goes for a 4x4 or something. Just hope he continues to develop into a 2/3 winger and we laughing. 

18 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

I wonder if the Canucks offer Joshua some term to keep the cap hit down in the 3s. Article from this morning is saying his camp is in the 3 while Canucks wants 2s. This sounds a little more realistic. 4 always sounded high. He's got a very small sample size of being an effective NHL player. 

6x 3.35. long deal he gets just over 20M locked up till 34. Pretty ideal. More than if he goes for a 4x4 or something. Just hope he continues to develop into a 2/3 winger and we laughing. 

If he’s in the 3’s that’s reasonable 

a comparable is Greenway - good size, speed, similar age, numbers not quite as good as Joshua - 3.5x 4 or 5 is very good but 

would you rather Duclair at 4? Foegle at 2.75 or 3?

tbh I like Foegle, Duhaime, Brett Murray and Duclair a lot and have no issue letting Zads and Joshua go if we can bring these guys in for nearly the same cap hit 

Zads 5.25

Joshua 4

Duhaime 1.5x3

Murray .750x 3

Foegle 3

Duclair 4

sign Dillon (I’m almost certain they will)

that will be a tough lineup 

• ThereItIs 1

Really quiet on the Joshua front.  Not hearing anything really from any insider.  Makes me feel like the Canucks are wanting to re-sign him.  Perhaps Mikheyev moved out or bought out = keep Joshua?

Doesn't sound like Lindholm or Zadorov are coming back right now... so certainly the PA/JR have some dollars committed in their minds.

As of right now, I'm predicting:

Hronek returns

Joshua returns

Blueger returns

Lindholm walks

Zadorov walks

Could put a roster like this together if Mik is traded for a bag of pucks...

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Pettersson-Tarasenko

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

PDG-Aman-Podkolzin

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-DeMelo

Forbort-Myers

Juulsen

Edited by HKSR

23 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Really quiet on the Joshua front.  Not hearing anything really from any insider.  Makes me feel like the Canucks are wanting to re-sign him.  Perhaps Mikheyev moved out or bought out = keep Joshua?

Doesn't sound like Lindholm or Zadorov are coming back right now... so certainly the PA/JR have some dollars committed in their minds.

As of right now, I'm predicting:

Hronek returns

Joshua returns

Blueger returns

Lindholm walks

Zadorov walks

Could put a roster like this together if Mik is traded for a bag of pucks...

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Pettersson-Tarasenko

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

PDG-Aman-Podkolzin

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-DeMelo

Forbort-Myers

Juulsen

I thought Tarasenko would be a good target but someone said his preference is to stay in Florida the other day, if he wins a cup I don't see why that wouldn't be true. It's also noteworthy that the Panthers were the only team he was willing to waive for. 

I also question what it'd take to move Mikheyev, do the Canucks retain cap to make it happen to bring down the cost of moving him or do they just eat the cost? Supposedly we were trying to move him at the deadline, our wanting to move on from him ain't a secret around the league. 

I do like the idea of DeMelo on a 2-3 year deal though, Roy or Pesce would be interesting too. And I must say, Forbort as a potential Zadorov replacement is something I haven't thought of, but something I do like. He doesn't fight much but he would bring an element of size to the back end. Between him, Myers, and Soucy our defense would still have a fair bit of size. 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I thought Tarasenko would be a good target but someone said his preference is to stay in Florida the other day, if he wins a cup I don't see why that wouldn't be true. It's also noteworthy that the Panthers were the only team he was willing to waive for. 

I also question what it'd take to move Mikheyev, do the Canucks retain cap to make it happen to bring down the cost of moving him or do they just eat the cost? Supposedly we were trying to move him at the deadline, our wanting to move on from him ain't a secret around the league. 

I do like the idea of DeMelo on a 2-3 year deal though, Roy or Pesce would be interesting too. And I must say, Forbort as a potential Zadorov replacement is something I haven't thought of, but something I do like. He doesn't fight much but he would bring an element of size to the back end. Between him, Myers, and Soucy our defense would still have a fair bit of size. 

That was me who heard that about Tarasenko. Quick update is that despite his preference, FLA may not be willing to extend depending on his ask 

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, RWJC said:

That was me who heard that about Tarasenko. Quick update is that despite his preference, FLA may not be willing to extend depending on his ask 

He'd be a good target if available, Florida has some tough choices to make going forward 

• Cheers 1

On 6/12/2024 at 5:33 PM, J-23 said:

Crouse - Pettersson -

- Miller - Boeser

- Sillinger - Garland

Giuseppe - Suter - 

I think we need to find someone like Crouse to put on Pettersson’s wing. Someone with potential to outperform their contract. Can Crouse get to 30 goals with Pettersson? He’s not too far off right now.

To me Crouse shoou definitely be a target and Utah seems like a good trading partner.

They have zero D signed for next season, a crap ton of cap space, likely a hard time signing players who want to win, and reportedly want a pretty much clean slate to wipe away the Arizona stink.

Hronek and Mikheyev for Crouse plus a sweetener.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Provost said:

To me Crouse shoou definitely be a target and Utah seems like a good trading partner.

They have zero D signed for next season, a crap ton of cap space, likely a hard time signing players who want to win, and reportedly want a pretty much clean slate to wipe away the Arizona stink.

Why would Utah trade a cornerstone player?

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Why would Utah trade a cornerstone player?

He is a 2nd line winger who hasn’t hit 50 points in a season.  He isn’t a franchise cornerstone.  He hasn’t produced nearly at the rate that Garland has and he was a throw in for a deal.

Folks seem to conflate him being attractive to us as somehow being an indispensable piece.  He is attractive to us because of cap, stylistic reasons, and the specific need for a top six winger.

He was also a face of a different franchise that Utah wants. Irving to do with because the brand and culture is poisoned.

Back to the actual post I made… Utah wants to actually win in the short term.  They have ZERO defencemen signed for next season.  A top pairing D would be massively attractive to them, because they just aren’t going to be able to fill out a defence core on the open market.  Bottom feeder teams don’t exactly attract free agents, at least without vastly overpaying.  

Even Mikheyev would be a very attractive piece as a veteran penalty killer they are buying low on because of our cap situation.  Even if he doesn’t bounce back at all he is maybe a million overpaid at most and not on a long term contract.

Edited by Provost

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Provost said:

He is a 2nd line winger who hasn’t hit 50 points in a season.  He isn’t a franchise cornerstone.  He hasn’t produced nearly at the rate that Garland has and he was a throw in for a deal.

Folks seem to conflate him being attractive to us as somehow being an indispensable piece.  He is attractive to us because of cap, stylistic reasons, and the specific need for a top six winger.

He was also a face of a different franchise that Utah wants. Irving to do with because the brand and culture is poisoned.

Back to the actual post I made… Utah wants to actually win in the short term.  They have ZERO defencemen signed for next season.  A top pairing D would be massively attractive to them, because they just aren’t going to be able to fill out a defence core on the open market.  Bottom feeder teams don’t exactly attract free agents, at least without vastly overpaying.  

Even Mikheyev would be a very attractive piece as a veteran penalty killer they are buying low on because of our cap situation.  Even if he doesn’t bounce back at all he is maybe a million overpaid at most and not on a long term contract.

Question is why would Utah strongly consider any trade for D at the moment when as you mention they could just purchase, without cost of assets, any UFA D who is willing to play there for a larger sum than they might receive elsewhere? That’s the route I’d take first and see what they can establish that way and then build on it.

Edited by RWJC

13 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Question is why would Utah strongly consider any trade for D at the moment when as you mention they could just purchase, without cost of assets, any UFA D who is willing to play there for a larger sum than they might receive elsewhere? That’s the route I’d take first and see what they can establish that way and then build on it.

They aren’t going to get and entire D core of all the good UFA D available, that is a ridiculous position to take.  None of them are as good as Hronek, all of them are veterans who also likely want a chance to win, half of whom will re-sign with their current teams as always happens.  Utah can fill the 4-6th bottom pairing D slots just fine, but they can’t find top players under club control.  It is massively easier to fill winger slots than it is a top pairing RD.  

Only a moronic GM would sign 4-6 overpaid UFA 2nd-3rd pairing D who are already in their 30’s like most of the crop of available D are to long term crippling contracts in one offseason to convince them to come to what will likely be a losing team… all just to avoid trading away a 2nd line winger with good character who the organization had nothing to do with picking or has any loyalty to.

46 minutes ago, Provost said:

Disagree, I think he's part of the leadership core, if not the main leader.  Production isn't a measure of I portance if a player to a franchise........ certainly not the only measure 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Bye bye DJ. You are so easily replaced. Any team stupid enough to offer you big money deserves what they get, which will be a puck sucker loser! 
Alf hates these guys who are only out for money. Like Horfat Walket DJ will take big money and be stuck on a loser team. And he will be satisfied. That’s a total loser mentality. Losers will lose. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Provost said:

They aren’t going to get and entire D core of all the good UFA D available, that is a ridiculous position to take.  None of them are as good as Hronek, all of them are veterans who also likely want a chance to win, half of whom will re-sign with their current teams as always happens.  Utah can fill the 4-6th bottom pairing D slots just fine, but they can’t find top players under club control.  It is massively easier to fill winger slots than it is a top pairing RD.  

Only a moronic GM would sign 4-6 overpaid UFA 2nd-3rd pairing D who are already in their 30’s like most of the crop of available D are to long term crippling contracts in one offseason to convince them to come to what will likely be a losing team… all just to avoid trading away a 2nd line winger with good character who the organization had nothing to do with picking or has any loyalty to.

I didn’t say that. I said they might get pieces through UFA which will help assemble their total cast. They have zero D currently signed but their top D talent are all solid and RFA so they aren’t devoid of players like you’re making them out to be.
You’re too eager to make your point…you think it’s ridiculous they might shop for 2-3 Dmen?
you think it’s ridiculous when ppl say TO will be shopping for two Dmen themselves? Or what about us given Cole and Zadorov may be on the outs? 

Have another look at who’s available. It’s a great year to shop and reinforce a D corps if you have the cap space. Utah is looking to take a step this year. That doesn’t mean they immediately require elite top pairing Dmen, especially when they want to give their youth more TOI.  What it does mean though is that their overal talent level will improve in adding some veteran presence to go along with  their young emerging talent like Moser, Durzi and Kesselring. 

does that still sound ridiculous? 

4 hours ago, Provost said:

They’ve got 3 2nds and 3rds this year 

would love to swindle one of their seconds as well 

I’m ok with him leaving or staying 

he was a good fit here and had a career year 

seen it lots of times guys have good chemistry and have success within a  system then take the payday and struggle to ever come close to get that level again. 

Hope it works out for the guy as long as he doesn’t go to Alberta or Toronto then he’s dead to me.