[Speculation] Latest On Dakota Joshua

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

Bye bye DJ. You are so easily replaced. Any team stupid enough to offer you big money deserves what they get, which will be a puck sucker loser! 
Alf hates these guys who are only out for money. Like Horfat Walket DJ will take big money and be stuck on a loser team. And he will be satisfied. That’s a total loser mentality. Losers will lose. 

It is getting late Alf. Time to put the bottle down. Joshua played some nice hockey for the Canucks last year. My curiosity with him is whether he could play some top 6 TOI if the Canucks resigned him. His willingness to engage physically was a real, much needed, asset for last year's team. He might have priced himself out of Vancouver and if that is the case I wish him well. Replacing him will not be easy. What dissapointed me more this last season was Lafferty's lack of physical play. IMHO if DJ is gone then the Canucks have to replace him and Laff with 2 consistent physical players. 

To your theme on 'Bye bye DJ'. On another page I skewered Elliot Friedman who I have little use for. So I will join your club of calling guys out. On that page I stated my dream of a HNIC panel where KB3 and Don Cherry simply sat and talked hockey. Just the 2 of them. Wouldn't that be an experience. 

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be honest, not disappointed to hear this, but definitely a little surprised. PA clearly wants to stabilize forward group. Wonder if it also means he would want Toch to elevate certain forwards?

DJ Miller Garland

JG EP Boeser

Hogs Blueger xx

xx Suter Podz

• Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

I'll be honest, not disappointed to hear this, but definitely a little surprised. PA clearly wants to stabilize forward group. Wonder if it also means he would want Toch to elevate certain forwards?

DJ Miller Garland

JG EP Boeser

Hogs Blueger xx

xx Suter Podz

I'm really torn on this one. Yes DJ had a great season. But he still left a lot to be desired. His physicality was still lacking IMHO, and his goal scoring came in short bursts.

He was also quite disappointing in the playoffs. 

As much as I want a big, physical winger who can score 20 goals, I'm really not sure Joshua is the guy.

1 hour ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

DJ Miller Garland

JG EP Boeser

Hogs Blueger xx

xx Suter Podz

Hogs - Petey - Reinhart 

Suter - Miller - Boeser

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

4th line?

Hughes - Marino

Zadorov - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

Demko

Silovs

Would be happy to resign Dak - but if the number is too high, its just gonna be replacing a bad contract with a bad contract at the cost of a 2nd I think 😕 

1 hour ago, JayDangles said:

I'm really torn on this one. Yes DJ had a great season. But he still left a lot to be desired. His physicality was still lacking IMHO, and his goal scoring came in short bursts.

As much as I want a big, physical winger who can score 20 goals, I'm really not sure Joshua is the guy.

This.

I don't expect him back, he showed a lot but disappeared in Playoffs far too often.

• Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Hogs - Petey - Reinhart 

Suter - Miller - Boeser

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

4th line?

Hughes - Marino

Zadorov - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

Demko

Silovs

That could work - does that work under the salary cap?

15 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

Joshua makes this team tough to play against and I like being tough to play against so get it done. 

If he could get $4m per there is no chane he comes back. Even $3m per is steep. He is a third liner. That spot is ripe for the picking for a 1m contract named Vasili Podkolzin.

I expect a bigger body is brought in for the 4th line. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

If he could get $4m per there is no chane he comes back. Even $3m per is steep. He is a third liner. That spot is ripe for the picking for a 1m contract named Vasili Podkolzin.

I expect a bigger body is brought in for the 4th line. 

Ya only path forward is if they are 99% certain he can elevate to the top six. And stay there all year plus playoffs...big risk

Edited by NoCupSyndrome

1 hour ago, JayDangles said:

8 points in 13 games for a 3rd line player is disappointing?  He was one of our best forwards in several games. 

• Like 1

I think we got the best of Joshua last season, the expectations would be that his level of play last season would be the norm (or higher depending on what he gets) going forward and I'm not convinced he's capable of that. 

34 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

8 points in 13 games for a 3rd line player is disappointing?  He was one of our best forwards in several games. 

Come on, you (Petey) of all people should know that points is only 1 metric. The eye test said that Joshua's play as a power forward in the playoffs was lacking.

Don't even get me started on your play!

34 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think we got the best of Joshua last season, the expectations would be that his level of play last season would be the norm (or higher depending on what he gets) going forward and I'm not convinced he's capable of that. 

Honestly I would expect him to regress next season. IF he had shown a higher level of scoring when he had brief opportunities with Petey and Miller and on the PP then that would lean towards an uptick in offence if given even more opportunity, but he didn't.

I think we've seen the best of him and I hope they don't pay him long term expecting him to grow.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

DJ Miller Garland

JG EP Boeser

Hogs Blueger xx

xx Suter Podz

I think it's just a matter of if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it.  DJ/Blue/Garly were incredible.  They basically produced at almost a 2nd line level.  That's a huge competitive advantage. 

If we manage to keep that line together and add another top 6 winger to Petey's line, we should be incredibly set for our forward depth.

Our defence is a bigger question mark.  I still feel Zadorov isn't the way to go if guys like Roy and Pesce are available for around the same cap hit.  Zadorov only makes sense if his asking price drops below $5M.

2 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Honestly I would expect him to regress next season. IF he had shown a higher level of scoring when he had brief opportunities with Petey and Miller and on the PP then that would lean towards an uptick in offence if given even more opportunity, but he didn't.

I think we've seen the best of him and I hope they don't pay him long term expecting him to grow.

Garland was the guy stirring the drink on that line imo, I'm sure someone else would work just fine with him and Blueger 

I think we've seen the best of him too, and I'd rather allocate his cap elsewhere, be that a true top six player or another top 4RD

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I think it's just a matter of if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it.  DJ/Blue/Garly were incredible.  They basically produced at almost a 2nd line level.  That's a huge competitive advantage. 

If we manage to keep that line together and add another top 6 winger to Petey's line, we should be incredibly set for our forward depth.

Our defence is a bigger question mark.  I still feel Zadorov isn't the way to go if guys like Roy and Pesce are available for around the same cap hit.  Zadorov only makes sense if his asking price drops below $5M.

I don't disagree on the 3rd line and Big Z (stabilizing the D is crucial) but paying for DJ to keep the third line together doesn't move the needle IMHO. If the team are extremely confident DJ can elevate and play with Miller (or EP), then I am more interested:

DJ Miller Boeser

xx EP xx (big UFA plus a buyout candidate who wants to be on a contender)

xx Blueger Garland

Hogs Suter Podz

PDG

Lots of guys that can move up the lineup in case of injury, etc.

What if we just give Joshua term.  He's the type of player that could still be an effective bottom 6 player even if his offence begins to dry up.  Lock him in for 7 years knowing that his production will drop by the end (35yo).

Year 1 - $4M

Year 2 - $4M

Year 3 - $4M

Year 4 - $4M

Year 5 - $3M

Year 6 - $2.75M

Year 7 - $2.75M

Average Cap Hit = $3.5M AAV

In 7 years, a $3.5M cap hit would be equivalent to around a $2.75M cap hit today.