[Speculation] Latest On Dakota Joshua

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

What if we just give Joshua term.  He's the type of player that could still be an effective bottom 6 player even if his offence begins to dry up.  Lock him in for 7 years knowing that his production will drop by the end (35yo).

Year 1 - $4M

Year 2 - $4M

Year 3 - $4M

Year 4 - $4M

Year 5 - $3M

Year 6 - $2.75M

Year 7 - $2.75M

Average Cap Hit = $3.5M AAV

In 7 years, a $3.5M cap hit would be equivalent to around a $2.75M cap hit today.

For me, $3.5M is the top I might be willing to go on a three year deal. I would be a little worried given the shape he was in at camp to start the year. Would want a significantly lower cap with any more term...like bury him in the minors low haha

11 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Come on, you (Petey) of all people should know that points is only 1 metric. The eye test said that Joshua's play as a power forward in the playoffs was lacking.

Don't even get me started on your play!

Joshua was inconsistent. But there were games where he was dominant as well. It’s not easy to find a true power forward who can play hard every game. 

If you take Joshua out of the lineup it’s hard to replace him. At $4 million I wouldn’t re-sign him. But at $3.2 million I would. 

As for Petey, he’s gonna come back better than ever. Promise!!   😊

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, BPA said:

My comfort zone with DJ is at $2.5-3M.  Hopefully he follows Blueger and Hronek lead and take a slight hometown discount.

I don't think DJ is gonna give much of a discount if at all.  He's only had $1.5M in career NHL earnings compared to Blueger's $6.8M.  That's a big difference.  Hronek obviously much higher than that.  This is DJ's big pay day.  He's gonna want to get as much as possible here.  Can't blame him for that.

• Cheers 3

One thing I'll point out about Joshua is that through his career, he seems to elevate his game in the playoffs.

With Sioux Falls, he had 44 points in 52 games in the regular season.  He followed that up with 13 points in 11 games in the playoffs.

With Springfield, he had 20 points in 35 games in the regular season.  He followed that up with 15 points in 18 games in the playoffs.

With the Canucks, he had 32 points in 63 games in the regular season.  He followed that up with 8 points in 13 games in the playoffs.

On 6/18/2024 at 12:37 AM, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

My question is he seemed to disappear in the playoffs - what happened to him?

Now that we’re on the topic - so did Hogs…

* poof *

After the conclusion of the playoffs DJ retained his 3rd place finish in hits, despite playing half as many games. That paired with 8 points in 13 games, I'm not exactly sure what you were expecting from him, but doesn't seem like he disappeared to me.

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I don't think DJ is gonna give much of a discount if at all.  He's only had $1.5M in career NHL earnings compared to Blueger's $6.8M.  That's a big difference.  Hronek obviously much higher than that.  This is DJ's big pay day.  He's gonna want to get as much as possible here.  Can't blame him for that.

I don't blame him at all. No way would I offer close to 4 mil on term though. Had a great season, but one good season isn't enough for me. 2 years 2.5 mil is all I would offer, or a one year 3 mil deal before I offer term and numbers. 

2 minutes ago, Rekker said:

I don't blame him at all. No way would I offer close to 4 mil on term though. Had a great season, but one good season isn't enough for me. 2 years 2.5 mil is all I would offer, or a one year 3 mil deal before I offer term and numbers. 

the conversations around DJ remind me of the justification for overpaying Pearson, "Bo needs a friend" kind of reasoning. 

Yes he does some things well sometimes. But I think given the same opportunity and attention, Podz can make us forget DJ pretty fast. 

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

the conversations around DJ remind me of the justification for overpaying Pearson, "Bo needs a friend" kind of reasoning. 

Yes he does some things well sometimes. But I think given the same opportunity and attention, Podz can make us forget DJ pretty fast. 

Exactly. Garland deserves the most credit for driving that line. Joshau is a good player but has yet to prove worthy of a big, long contract yet imho. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

13 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Speaking of friends.
Now that we have your Russian and I am thinking Lafferty is going to re sign for around 2.5 per year.

Perfect place for DJ to reunite with former buddies.

On 6/18/2024 at 4:49 AM, Boudrias said:

It is getting late Alf. Time to put the bottle down. Joshua played some nice hockey for the Canucks last year. My curiosity with him is whether he could play some top 6 TOI if the Canucks resigned him. His willingness to engage physically was a real, much needed, asset for last year's team. He might have priced himself out of Vancouver and if that is the case I wish him well. Replacing him will not be easy. What dissapointed me more this last season was Lafferty's lack of physical play. IMHO if DJ is gone then the Canucks have to replace him and Laff with 2 consistent physical players. 

To your theme on 'Bye bye DJ'. On another page I skewered Elliot Friedman who I have little use for. So I will join your club of calling guys out. On that page I stated my dream of a HNIC panel where KB3 and Don Cherry simply sat and talked hockey. Just the 2 of them. Wouldn't that be an experience. 

Be even better if we never had to listen to that twit Ron Maclean, Cassie Campbell or Kelly Hrudey. Replace them with Biz Nasty.👍

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Speaking of friends.
Now that we have your Russian and I am thinking Lafferty is going to re sign for around 2.5 per year.

That would be great, chi might pick out of the top 10! 

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Joshua was inconsistent. But there were games where he was dominant as well. It’s not easy to find a true power forward who can play hard every game. 

If you take Joshua out of the lineup it’s hard to replace him. At $4 million I wouldn’t re-sign him. But at $3.2 million I would. 

As for Petey, he’s gonna come back better than ever. Promise!!   😊

I could handle $3.2m, but not a penny more. Would prefer to be just under $3m The guy is only making $850k right now, so at $3 thats already a 3x raise. It's not like he's producing 3 times more all of a sudden.

We need guys on the 3rd line who play above their contracts. Signing him in the $3m-$4m range is gambling on him and I personally dont think its worth the gamble. If someone else pays him that then so be it.

25 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Speaking of friends.

Isn’t Lafferty going to Chi as part of the Mik deal?

2 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I could handle $3.2m, but not a penny more. Would prefer to be just under $3m The guy is only making $850k right now, so at $3 thats already a 3x raise. It's not like he's producing 3 times more all of a sudden.

We need guys on the 3rd line who play above their contracts. Signing him in the $3m-$4m range is gambling on him and I personally dont think its worth the gamble. If someone else pays him that then so be it.

Well can you handle 50k more? 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

How about an extra $50k?   😉

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

How about an extra $50k?   😉

Nope! that $50k is too much. Tips the scales.

I hate Joshua now, damn this organization for gambling away our future and overpaying! (srcsm)

• Haha 2

• Jess locked this topic