[Speculation] Latest On Dakota Joshua

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

And, imo, it's time to move Garland into the top 6.  That makes life a lot easier for PA

Agreed. put him with EP, and go look for a scoring winger with size to fill out the line.

• Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I would make a case that Joshua should move into the top 6 as well if he’s gonna be making 3 mil. He has the skill to play that role.

I would prefer that over overpaying someone like Zucker or Duclair. And like you said it makes PAs life easier. He can replace those bottom 6 players with cheaper short term contracts like he did last season.

Put that money into a legit winger for Petey.

Garland Miller Boeser

Joshua Pettersson Lindholm/Guentzel

I really like this idea. Joshua will be a cheap 2nd liner and not an overpriced 3rd.

This way, we keep our defense intact.

Suter can center the third line

Edited by Kevlar
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Let’s not discount Garlands role in his break out season though. Everyone who played with Garland improved.

Would he have the same success elsewhere? That’s what he has to ask himself.

Garland made him. Joshua will be crap without Garland.

Garland makes everyone around him better. I like Joshua but the team can find another cheaper player to play with Garland and it will be fine.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Let’s not discount Garlands role in his break out season though. Everyone who played with Garland improved.

Would he have the same success elsewhere? That’s what he has to ask himself.

i can’t help but agree that Garland was the key factor in DJ breakout

• Upvote 1

Find a way to get Reid Schaefer out of Nashville and sign him to an immediate long term contract with low dollar value.

There's our Joshua replacement. $3 million + per year and over term is way to much.  Yes he may break out more and he may even have a 50 point season which may not be unreasonable but we know who he is and we see guys like him cash in all the time and two years later are in every please take my player proposal.

$2.75 or less or bye bye

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kevlar said:

I really like this idea. Joshua will be a cheap 2nd liner and not an overpriced 3rd.

This way, we keep our defense intact.

Suter can center the third line

A mix of Suter, Blueger, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Aman, and Raty can fill out the bottom 6. Add another savvy bottom 6 signing.

Let’s not forget that we had Mikheyev on the 2nd line most the season. I’m confident that Joshua can match or surpass the impact he made. Add a legit top 6 player to that line and I don’t think Joshua would be out of place.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If we are set on getting a true top 6 winger for Petey then every penny counts.  I think it's more important to improve our top 6 than to keep our 3rd liners...

Teravainen should be an option.

Daniel Sprong would be an under the radar add. He plays a fast, offensive game who doesn't back down physically either.

• Cheers 2

55 minutes ago, stawns said:

And, imo, it's time to move Garland into the top 6.  That makes life a lot easier for PA

He looked great with Pettersson for the small amount of time he and Elias were paired together. Give them a larger, more aggressive player and watch that line produce. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He looked great with Pettersson for the small amount of time he and Elias were paired together. Give them a larger, more aggressive player and watch that line produce. 

Could just keep Garland and Joshua together with Petey too. We know those two work with different centers.

Would allow money to maybe even re-sign Lindholm.

Suter Miller Boeser

Joshua Pettersson Garland

Hoglander Lindholm UFA

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

I’m curious how Toronto has the funds to pay him and we don’t? Kids solid but he ain’t worth an arm and a leg 

Bertuzzi and domi coming off the books

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Joshua was looking to get scratched from the lineup in the preseason.  Tocchet saved his career.  If he leaves he might end up like Anson Carter...

Yup. DJ is a guy Allvin will understand this could happen to. DJ will try for the biggest contract possible. I’m thinking that’s not with us. 

• Cheers 2

I would love to have Joshua back but, there's decisions to be made around putting up a team capable of winning the cup. Too much on middle 6 guys and you don't have the room to build a balanced lineup.

Podkolzin is ready for the NHL and could take his place. I trust this management team to figure it out, they have proven pretty shrewd when it comes to negotiating and finding deals around the league.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Pay Joshua his 3M. Put him on the top line with Miller and Boeser. There, you just justified his raise.

Joshua Miller Boeser

Hoglander Petey Necas

Bains Suter Garland 

Mikheyev Aman Karlsson

PDG

Hughes Tanev

Zadorov Montour

Soucy Myers

Juulsen

Demko

Silovs

47 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Teravainen should be an option.

Daniel Sprong would be an under the radar add. He plays a fast, offensive game who doesn't back down physically either.

Okay, I think Sprong would be a terrific add. He can ABSOLUTELY rip the puck.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Joshua was a good player and a nice success story. But can he repeat or improve? Or will he turn into a Justin Bailey or Zack MacEwan? I'm not sure he's worth more than 2 mil a season 

1 hour ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Our 3rd line was better than our 2nd line. 3mil for Joshua isn't even that bad. Given other 3rd liners are making more. I'd rather let Myers and Zads walk and target a top 6 winger with their cap.

Straight back to the days of Hutton, Del Zotto and Stetcher.   Can we please avoid destroying a blueline we just finally pieced together please.    As for Joshua 3.25 x 3 is just fine. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Straight back to the days of Hutton, Del Zotto and Stetcher.   Can we please avoid destroying a blueline we just finally pieced together please.    As for Joshua 3.25 x 3 is just fine. 

We wouldn't have to if we didn't give contracts to guys like Mikheyev and not to hate on a good player. But Garland should be a 3.5mil player tops. Losing Myers is addition by subtraction as far as I am concerned. Dude looked fine for the playoffs but throughout the regular season dude is a constant headache. Zads wants 6mil, too much. I'd take him back at around 5mil though. Destroying to blueline sounds dramatic, when losing these guys is saving us cap to keep other areas intact or to even improve. Instead of giving Myers 3mil lets find an actual top 4 blueliner for a bit more.

25 minutes ago, CR7 said:

Pay Joshua his 3M. Put him on the top line with Miller and Boeser. There, you just justified his raise.

Joshua Miller Boeser

Hoglander Petey Necas

Bains Suter Garland 

Mikheyev Aman Karlsson

PDG

Hughes Tanev

Zadorov Montour

Soucy Myers

Juulsen

Demko

Silovs

Outside of Garland we aren't going anywhere with that bottom six. 

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Those guys weren't anything special in terms of hockey ability but they do have one important "asset" to our clubs current situation.  Cheap cap hits.  Having a couple of these "replacement level" players means you can re-sign guys like the big Z.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Pears said:

Outside of Garland we aren't going anywhere with that bottom six. 

Can have a bunch of 'pencil neck geeks' (to quote Bobby Heenan 🤣) in the bottom six if Petey can return to the 100+ point forward he was in the post-season.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Those guys weren't anything special in terms of hockey ability but they do have one important "asset" to our clubs current situation.  Cheap cap hits.  Having a couple of these "replacement level" players means you can re-sign guys like the big Z.

We do have Wolanin, McWard, Woo, Brisbois, D-Petey in Abbotsford as depth.

• Cheers 1