[Speculation] Latest On Dakota Joshua

3 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Garland wasn't the reason we lost. Give your head a shake. He's actually the only fwd who scored game 7 and actually showed up. Maybe if Pete hadn't shat the bed or if Mik was actually a 4.7m winger. 

Garland was part of the solution not the problem. 

I never said Garland was the reason we lost or part of the problem. But if our pp scores 2 or 3 more goals in that series we probably advance. Moving on from Garland allows us to make improvements in other areas.

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Who gives a shit who he plays against? You completely miss the point. I realize you have bias and aren’t fond of smaller players, but the game is played as a team and you have to incorporate encompassing statistics as to how they lead to team success. You’re not doing that and appear to be reluctant to do so and it’s too bad you keep spouting off on nonsensical factors that isolate a player in contrast to their overall contribution to the club. Without stats like @Hammertime just provided on Garland, you don’t have as many offensive chances, you have deficiencies in defensive play in any zone and you minimize your control or possession of the play. 

You really should start to ditch the crap semantic arguments and realize where and who value comes from and that for a team to have real success you have to have players that provide great possession numbers, improve their linemates ability to perform and can be counted on routinely for a solid effort.  He gives all of that. He’s been consistently one of the better players all season. “Garland had a good year”.

No, the team had a great year in large part to players like Garland.

wake up. 

Alf likes Garlsnd but he’s not a good fit on a winning club. He’s not a guy who plays well against better players. IMHAO we will trade him to clear all his cap this summer. 
And smaller players are fine providing they can play in the top six. That means fast and skilled and tough. Garland is two of those three. 

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

True, but Boeser did provide value on the pp and Hronek did pk. Garland does neither. If he was making 2.9mil that's a different story but alas he's not. If we're looking at improving our team then Garland's cap allocation is a good place to start imo.

Garland is an excellent 5 on 5 possession player. That’s where he’s utilized most. As per 2/3 of the club, he’s not needed on a PP when you already have possession advantage, and not required on a PK when you’re not trying to possess the puck and instead just looking to dump and get fresh legs. We may have to move him simply because of salary, and that’s fair, but imho it’ll be a loss to the heart and soul of this club and to the detriment of RT who relies on Garland more than what is stated on these forums. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, spook007 said:

Not for Toronto :classic_ninja:...😂

And back to the world of small or plugs on defence again?

Worked for Edmonton. But in all seriousness, bringing back Joshua and adding a top 6 forward shouldn't eat all our cap. I'd hope.

Edited by JeremyCuddles
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Alf likes Garlsnd but he’s not a good fit on a winning club. He’s not a guy who plays well against better players. IMHAO we will trade him to clear all his cap this summer. 
And smaller players are fine providing they can play in the top six. That means fast and skilled and tough. Garland is two of those three. 

Allright, I’ll stop prodding you haha.

just want the guy to receive fair credit because he’s brought a lot to this club. He’s JTM light (obviously less physical too). 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

I'm also of the feeling that if guys are getting "too big" for the team, there's the door. Ego has no place here. Hard working team players only need apply.

Sure, looking after their interests and financial stability is first and foremost. But to what degree? It's also a matter of how you're utilized (look how JT's flourished in the opportunity he's been given here), how you mesh with a team and their system/structure, etc. Overall happiness comes into play. Be careful what you wish for stuff.

A guy may have success in one place and not in another. So if they base their "value" on what they've shown here, with this club, that may not transfer over. Look at the complete body of work to see perhaps some success is attributed to them being here and not only about what they bring. Coaching, chemistry, etc. also factor in.

If ALL they care about is money, fine. But there's more to consider. If the integrity of their play matters to them, they'll do a complete assessment and not just look at how much money they'll earn. 

Guys who are ok with mailing it in (and cashing in) vs guys who really are competitive and want to make a difference.

Plus....if their wives are happy here sometimes that comes into play (thanks Natalie)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Allright, I’ll stop prodding you haha.

just want the guy to receive fair credit because he’s brought a lot to this club. He’s JTM light (obviously less physical too). 

IMHAO Garland’s minutes can be replaced by Hogs. That saves 4 mil on the cap. Then we could allocate that 4 mil to keep DJ and Big Z. I’d rather have those two big boppers over Garland. 
I just don’t see us having another five mil cap hit that we can trade and not take money back. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, stawns said:

That's the solution, imo.  You can reconstruct the third line for the same price youd pay for one first line winger

the stats, limited as they are, do back this up a bit: https://www.naturalstattrick.com/linestats.php?fromseason=20232024&thruseason=20232024&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&rate=n&team=VAN&vteam=ALL&view=wowy&loc=B&gpfilt=none&fd=2023-10-10&td=2024-04-18&tgp=2000&strict=incl&p1=8480012&p2=8478856&p3=0&p4=0&p5=0

I think that line needs a big physical forechecking player on it tho for longer term success. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

IMHAO Garland’s minutes can be replaced by Hogs. That saves 4 mil on the cap. Then we could allocate that 4 mil to keep DJ and Big Z. I’d rather have those two big boppers over Garland. 
I just don’t see us having another five mil cap hit that we can trade and not take money back. 

and the stats back this up too 😁 Petey with either Garland or Hogs performs about the same. Same caveat tho, they need a big bopper partner on that line. 

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/linestats.php?fromseason=20232024&thruseason=20232024&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&rate=n&team=VAN&vteam=ALL&view=wowy&loc=B&gpfilt=none&fd=2023-10-10&td=2024-04-18&tgp=2000&strict=incl&p1=8480012&p2=8478856&p3=8481535&p4=0&p5=0

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Would DJ sign for 2.85 x 3/4? If he did then that leaves 2 (left over from moving all of Garland’s cap) for Z. So he’d come in at 5.75 per. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Garland was our most consistent player all season and playoffs moving him is beyond dumb 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Garland is way too slow to play with Petey. Petey needs a fast winger who can drive D off the blue line on the rush. Garland is getting traded. 

Garland is as fast if not faster than Pettersson no idea where you come up with this Garland is slow narrative. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Would DJ sign for 2.85 x 3/4? If he did then that leaves 2 (left over from moving all of Garland’s cap) for Z. So he’d come in at 5.75 per. 

So a Hogs-Petey-DJ line? and we retain big Z? 

thats worth moving Garly. 

Or... how about we move Garly, buy out Mik, trade Hronek + picks to Ottawa for Brady? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

True, but Boeser did provide value on the pp and Hronek did pk. Garland does neither. If he was making 2.9mil that's a different story but alas he's not. If we're looking at improving our team then Garland's cap allocation is a good place to start imo.

2.9m?

image.png.a226ddb5f8b5fc6ebc50559bc74c7b72.png

He's fully lived up to his contract. 

Do you hate powerplays?

image.png.4d02f0388bdfb2f1f0bb0acffbe0d2b4.png

Garland has always won his ice time and contrary to Alfs statement he does often play a checking role against top players. And drives them nuts.

image.png.c9200fd70c7096ac52bed9c57b44b3bc.png

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Garland is as fast if not faster than Pettersson no idea where you come up with this Garland is slow narrative. 

Sorry fellow Canuck fan but Garland is not fast. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

So a Hogs-Petey-DJ line? and we retain big Z? 

thats worth moving Garly. 

Or... how about we move Garly, buy out Mik, trade Hronek + picks to Ottawa for Brady? 

That would be fantastic! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sorry fellow Canuck fan but Garland is not fast. 

Not super fast but he reads plays fast which often means he’s getting to the puck first. That’s a skill you can’t teach.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Hammertime said:

Neither is Hughes. 

He's mercury below the hashes though. 

Hughes was faster than Makar at the skills competition. 
I like Garland. He’s tough and skilled. I just think he’s not a fit in our top six. Plus, he’s the one forward we could trade and clear all his cap and allocate it to keeping DJ and Big Z. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Not super fast but he reads plays fast which often means he’s getting to the puck first. That’s a skill you can’t teach.

Sure, he’s smart too. But he’s not going to drive D back through the neutral zone. He’s not going to create space for Petey. He’s IMHAO not a fit for us. I believe JR and PA think the same and will move him to clear all his cap. 

• Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think hogz, Garland and Lindholm were the best forecheckers on the team.  I think Petey doesn't really mesh with that type of player........both hogz and garland get in fast on the fire check and retrieve pucks.  I'm not sure there's a need for a big physical guy on every line.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

His north to south might not be fast, but not many players are quicker than Garland and if anyone changes directions faster than Garland, id be surprised

• Cheers 3

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think hogz, Garland and Lindholm were the best forecheckers on the team.  I think Petey doesn't really mesh with that type of player........both hogz and garland get in fast on the fire check and retrieve pucks.  I'm not sure there's a need for a big physical guy on every line.

That can be true, but when talking about a line fronted by Petey, who might as well be Bambi, there is a huge need for a big guy. 
Petey gets pushed around and so does Garland and Hogs.  
A big mean SOB with finishing hands would go great with Hogs and. Pete

Just now, D.B Cooper said:

That can be true, but when talking about a line fronted by Petey, who might as well be Bambi, there is a huge need for a big guy. 
Petey gets pushed around and so does Garland and Hogs.  
A big mean SOB with finishing hands would go great with Hogs and. Pete

They tried DJ with Petey and it didn't work.  Hogz and Garland definitely do not get pushed around 

• Cheers 1