[Speculation] Latest On Dakota Joshua

4 minutes ago, RWJC said:

You’re absolutely right, it doesnt make sense. Let’s wait and see thought.
My money is on them figuring something out. Stamkos is in the same vein as Crosby…going nowhere.

Someone there is LTIR bound between Sergachev and McDonough, or possibly both. 

Sergachev on LTIR is a possibility.  That was a nasty injury...

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

So Alf logic is we should trade Garland because he is small and doesn’t PK and we shouldn’t pay Joshua who gives us size and is one of our best PKers and matchup forwards. 

You gotta remember Alf isn't very smart...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dizzle said:

3.25 is generous. No way he should be getting 4 mil. 

This exactly. And if someone is willing to give him 4x4 good for him… wish him the best. 

same management gave mikheyev 4.75x4 for literally the same production on his contract year.. 

4 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

So Alf logic is we should trade Garland because he is small and doesn’t PK and we shouldn’t pay Joshua who gives us size and is one of our best PKers and matchup forwards. 

I actually think he's saying Joshua is valuable but we shouldn't overpay for him and we shouldn't overpay for what Garland brings either

19 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

I actually think he's saying Joshua is valuable but we shouldn't overpay for him and we shouldn't overpay for what Garland brings either

Fair enough. But who do we replace them with? Who’s out there for better production and reliability at a lower price point? Not easy to determine that. Bit of a crapshoot actually

8 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Brady Tkachuk - not available 

Lawson Crouse - probably not available,  and will be super expensive to acquire 

Josh Anderson -coming off a 20 point season at 5.5 million

Blake Wheeler - too old and ineffective 

Alex Tuch - not available 

Finding this player type is a lot more difficult than you're making out.

45 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

same management gave mikheyev 4.75x4 for literally the same production on his contract year.. 

Mik had a more productive NHL history.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Fair enough. But who do we replace them with? Who’s out there for better production and reliability at a lower price point? Not easy to determine that. Bit of a crapshoot actually

True, it will be a challenge.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

They found Joshua, I trust they could find another, cheaper version and develop him the way they did DJ

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, stawns said:

They found Joshua, I trust they could find another, cheaper version and develop him the way they did DJ

Joshua might just be a product of the culmination of a coach going to bat for him and the player being played out of necessity whereby he was a benefactor of circumstantial chemistry though. He did eventually bring his A game this season, but prior to he was a guy who made the roster because we had no one else to fit that bill.

other teams have that player currently on their rosters and some also bring a little more to their game. I like him a lot, but I hold reservation that his success as a player is because of how RT chose to deploy him. If he chooses UFA then he’s going to have to live up to a rep now and i highly doubt it’ll be with a player as complimentary to him as Garland has been, let alone a coach as motivating/mentoring to him as RT has proven to be. I just hope he stays and commits to this team at a reasonable deal because we need him.

i agree with you that mgmt has a great sense about what value they can derive form a player, but it’s not a given. Lafferty looked awesome and then fell off. Mik contract is an anchor now (but could be a result of injury). It’s just not a guarantee. All I know is we need more physical F’s and we don’t have that currently in the pipeline at a level where they can be expected to remain at the NHL level and thrive. 

what do you think?

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dizzle said:

Mik had a more productive NHL history.  

what history? 23 17 32 points? that's 4.75mil? joshua have 23 and 32 point..and then 1 and 8 in 2 partial season.. so he literally have 8 less points than mikheyev.. dunno how that equals more productive.. he has a slightly higher ppg i give you that.. but this is one of the worse signing because there's nothing you can say to justify giving a guy a 4 year contract at 4.75mil based on a 32 point season on top of being injury prone.

9 hours ago, RWJC said:

And leaves us looking for 3 PFs not 2. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, stawns said:

Even if the new guy isn't as productive but close. All teams including us need to stop over paying for one or two good years of production. They pay and then find out it's to much money then have to struggle to get rid of the over paid player. Like Mik,like OEL. It's getting way out of any kind of control.

Who knows the replacement player may have even better results on a play per dollar basis.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

what history? 23 17 32 points? that's 4.75mil? joshua have 23 and 32 point..and then 1 and 8 in 2 partial season.. so he literally have 8 less points than mikheyev.. dunno how that equals more productive.. he has a slightly higher ppg i give you that.. but this is one of the worse signing because there's nothing you can say to justify giving a guy a 4 year contract at 4.75mil based on a 32 point season on top of being injury prone.

I don’t disagree that it wasn’t a phenomenal signing. But he was still a more established NHL player, and was younger when he signed. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

I don’t disagree that it wasn’t a phenomenal signing. But he was still a more established NHL player, and was younger when he signed. 

And we desperately needed to add speed.

My concern is we've maybe seen peak Joshua and at something like 4 mil it won't be worth it.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Tuch is definitely not available, Tkachuk and Crouse will be expensive to add Anderson is mediocre at best at that cap hit Wheeler I wouldn’t touch with term. 

Eric Robinson could be a player of value if we are looking to re create Joshua at league minimum again, I see upside in his game if he has the right coach 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

And we desperately needed to add speed.

My concern is we've maybe seen peak Joshua and at something like 4 mil it won't be worth it.

I think that's a very real concern and what if they split him and Garland?  Is he still going to perform at that level?

16 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

Eric Robinson could be a player of value if we are looking to re create Joshua at league minimum again, I see upside in his game if he has the right coach 

Seems a good target. Played on a horrible Buffalo team that has no leadership in the core. DJ played for under a million. I wonder what Robinson would come in at? 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think that's a very real concern and what if they split him and Garland?  Is he still going to perform at that level?

If we can move out all Garland’s cap then that money can be used to keep both DJ and Big Z. DJ can play PK and top six minutes. Two things Garland can’t do on a good club. 

22 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

I don't think they have to get someone for league minimum, just not much over a million or so 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

If we can move out all Garland’s cap then that money can be used to keep both DJ and Big Z. DJ can play PK and top six minutes. Two things Garland can’t do on a good club. 

So you want to pay Joshua too much money by trading the guy he has the most chemistry with???

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

So you want to pay Joshua too much money by trading the guy he has the most chemistry with???

Nothing he says, especially about Garland, is to be taken seriously.

Garland is one of the straws that stirs the drink on that team, moving him would be ridiculous, imo

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Garlsnd makes five on the cap. Hogs can play his minutes. Neither is a PK or PP guy. Garland is a good player and has positive value. So we should be able to move off all his cap. Then there’s four mil to bump up both DJ and Big Z by two per. IMHAO I’d rather our club has DJ and Big Z over Garland. We have a replacement for Garland in Hogs. Who replaces DJ and Big Z and what they provide? 

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Garlsnd makes five on the cap. Hogs can play his minutes. Neither is a PK or PP guy. Garland is a good player and has positive value. So we should be able to move off all his cap. Then there’s your mil to bump both DJ and Big Z. IMHAO I’d rather our club has DJ and Big Z over Garland. We have a replacement for Garland in Hogs. Who replaces DJ and Big Z and what they provide? 

When the chips were down in game 7, and we needed a spark, the only guy who took his game to a new level was Garland. He’s the type of guy you build around, not trade to keep the big guy who he propped up.

I’m also wary of signing UFAs who take their game to a new level in their contract year. Joshua was a guy who was singled out in camp for not putting in the work in the offseason. Once he has a fat multi-year contract in his pocket, will motivation be a problem for him? I think it will. 

• Vintage 2

26 minutes ago, stawns said:

According to natural stat trick, Garland does about the same without Joshua, but Joshua without Garly not so great. Stinks with Petey in fact: https://naturalstattrick.com/linestats.php?fromseason=20232024&thruseason=20232024&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&rate=n&team=VAN&vteam=ALL&view=wowy&loc=B&gpfilt=none&fd=2023-10-10&td=2024-04-18&tgp=2000&strict=incl&p1=8478856&p2=8478057&p3=8480012&p4=0&p5=0

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1