[Discussion]Too much hype around Necas

Posted (edited)

This reminds me of the David Clarkson hype.(I know he was a free agent)

If Necas isn't good enough for Carolina at his price point , then he ain't good enough for the Canucks. Every team seems to be interested in him. Hard pass

Edited by Blue
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 2

• Blue changed the title to [Discussion]Too much hype around Necas

I like him as a partner for Petey because Necas is a shooter. Petey has always been very selective, but has been able to maintain that high shooting percentage. But we've seen with a natural shooter like Kuzy it creates too much for teams to manage. If Necas can bring that along with the defensive responsibility Kuzy couldn't then maybe we've got something. 

If you've watched Necas play, he's a very good player.  The reason Carolina is looking to move him is the same reason why the Canucks would even consider moving Hronek... too much cap, not enough cap space.  To me, it looks like Necas is ready to break out into a PPG+ player.

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

He seems like a good partner to try for Petterson… but I have also seen trade proposals that think he is worth more than Hronek and I think that is a little crazy.

Top pairing RD are probably the most valuable position and hardest to get.  Hronek is that… Necas is probably a 2nd line guy and that just isn’t as valuable.  We would need to be dumping Mikheyev in that deal to even it up.

Trading Hronek for a winger is madness. 

Teams like Chicago and San Jose need NHL players. Mikeyev is not negative value. 

Id rather try a winger in free agency. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

the scenario where it makes sense to me is if Hronek just won't move off 8+ mil and we only have him for one more year. In that instance, if we can move him for a young shooter like Necas with years of control left you do it. 

I agree 💯

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Blue said:

Teams like Chicago and San Jose need NHL players. Mikeyev is not negative value. 

If you can move Mikheyev to one of:

Chicago

Pittsburgh 

San Jose

Chances are you can do so without a negative sweetener.

I would make a push on Daniel Sprong upfront. His game is fit for a top six offensive producing role.

I like Necas a lot. He always stands out to me when I watch Carolina and I'd take him over Guentzel all day. Lots of upside and I think he'd be a great partner for EP. Add a speedy, forecheckng grinder to that line and it could be deadly. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Rekker said:

I like Necas a lot. He always stands out to me when I watch Carolina and I'd take him over Guentzel all day. Lots of upside and I think he'd be a great partner for EP. Add a speedy, forecheckng grinder to that line and it could be deadly. 

Nescas costs us assets. Geuntzel if a UFA. Both will like get similar contracts too. If we do t get Gentzel then move on Nescas? 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Nescas costs us assets. Geuntzel if a UFA. Both will like get similar contracts too. If we do t get Gentzel then move on Nescas? 

This is true. Just would like to see a younger player than Guentzel. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

But what if it's Hronek and Hogs or Pods? Would you do it? 

A team can also make a mistake. Carolina didn’t want to pay Trochek the 5.6 mill on a longterm deal he got and put up 64 and 77 points in back to back years with the Rangers with great FO numbers.

Necas is good and maybe the contract demands are enough for them to bow out of because they’re already paying Svech and hope to re-sign Guentzel. Probably don’t want to have 3 wingers making over 7 mill a year and don’t believe Necas can become a center like he wants to be. 

Just now, flickyoursedin said:

A team can also make a mistake. Carolina didn’t want to pay Trochek the 5.6 mill on a longterm deal he got and put up 64 and 77 points in back to back years with the Rangers with great FO numbers.

Necas is good and maybe the contract demands are enough for them to bow out of because they’re already paying Svech and hope to re-sign Guentzel. Probably don’t want to have 3 wingers making over 7 mill a year and don’t believe Necas can become a center like he wants to be. 

Canes are a low income team. They have a shoestring budget. 

56 minutes ago, Blue said:

Necas is also listed as a right shot centre so there is more value their as well, I watched a lot of Carolina this year for some unexplained reason and necas stood out to me more often than not, especially when his team was trailing I really noticed his game elevate and again in the post season I would argue he was Carolina’s best player for those 11 or 12 games whatever it was 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

Necas is also listed as a right shot centre so there is more value their as well, I watched a lot of Carolina this year for some unexplained reason and necas stood out to me more often than not, especially when his team was trailing I really noticed his game elevate and again in the post season I would argue he was Carolina’s best player for those 11 or 12 games whatever it was 

The funny thing is, it looks like he's used primarily on the wing, but the one year he took 400+ faceoffs, was the one year he broke 70 points. But pretty much every other season he has fewer than 100 faceoffs. Only twice in his career has he had a season with more than 100 faceoffs. Which tells me he plays more wing than center, and is worse at wing than center. So I wonder how good of a fit he'd actually be with Petey. If both players want to be down the middle.

27 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

The funny thing is, it looks like he's used primarily on the wing, but the one year he took 400+ faceoffs, was the one year he broke 70 points. But pretty much every other season he has fewer than 100 faceoffs. Only twice in his career has he had a season with more than 100 faceoffs. Which tells me he plays more wing than center, and is worse at wing than center. So I wonder how good of a fit he'd actually be with Petey. If both players want to be down the middle.

I love having the option of a right and left shot that are both capable of both positions, Petey had mikheyev lafferty and hoglander as his primary wingers all season necas drove Carolina’s 3rd line with kotkaniemi and drury for better part of the season putting up still respectable numbers, I think both players would be happier than hell to be penciled in with each other 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

I love having the option of a right and left shot that are both capable of both positions, Petey had mikheyev lafferty and hoglander as his primary wingers all season necas drove Carolina’s 3rd line with kotkaniemi and drury for better part of the season putting up still respectable numbers, I think both players would be happier than hell to be penciled in with each other 

I get the sentiment. It's why I love Lindholm. But the issue is not every center can play wing. It feels like Necas is one of those players. I am a proponent of adding him myself. Just food for though.

3 hours ago, Blue said:

One year of Hronek and facing an arbitration case with an unknown cap number until later in the summer which would handcuff Allvin from making all his other moves… and risk damaging the prospects for next season.

There are more variables than what position someone plays.

Posted in proposals section but wanted to gather thoughts here in case any regulars dont peruse that area:

Sign and Trade:

Hronek (extended for 8 years)

Lekkerimaki

Mikheyev

for 

Necas  (extended for 8 years) 

Nikishin 

Kotkaniemi

2 hours ago, Captain insano said:

I watched a ton of Carolina games over the last couple years as well. I'm a huge fan of Aho, Svechnikov, Jarvis and Necas and would love to see Necas on Petey's wing. He can absolutely fly and doesn't shy away from contact. He and Petey on one line and JT and Brock on the other in the top 6 would be a huge upgrade. 

If it's a Hronek for Necas deal, and Mik is traded to free up cap space, maybe re-signing Lindholm is even possible.

______-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Petey-Necas

______-Lindholm-Garland

That top 9, to me, has the makings of a legit contender. 

• Cheers 1