[Discussion]Too much hype around Necas

the reason carolina wants to move necas is they have 2 RW ahead of him.. they have Svechnikov and Jarvis.. are you going to play necas ahead of any of the other 2?? and if he's looking for 7-8mil.. can you afford to pay the guy that amount on your 3rd line? if they are investing 7-8mil.. they are better off getting a guy that actually fits in their top 6

I for one am interested in how Necas might do alongside an elite Center like Pettersson, in a puck possession style (as opposed to Carolina’s shoot-from-anywhere pinball style). I think he has the skills take it to another level.

And the Canucks need more speed and size (especially if they dump Mikheyev). Necas is one of the fastest players in the league, and he’s 6’2”. Forechecks like crazy, and elevates his game in the playoffs. And he almost never takes a penalty in the playoffs. Has played 59 postseason games, with just one minor penalty. Draws a lot of penalties though.

7 hours ago, Rekker said:

This is true. Just would like to see a younger player than Guentzel. 

Invest less dollars into a forward like Daniel Sprong.

He has size, speed, elite skill and the last two seasons has started to put his game together. He would come in cheaper than the Necas, Guentzel hyped names and could be a nice fit in Vancouver. He's 27 years old as well I believe.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Invest less dollars into a forward like Daniel Sprong.

He has size, speed, elite skill and the last two seasons has started to put his game together. He would come in cheaper than the Necas, Guentzel hyped names and could be a nice fit in Vancouver. He's 27 years old as well I believe.

pass.. enough of these players that doesn't have a consistent resume and hope they'll become a top 6.. we already have one call mikheyev.. one of the worse signings on the canucks.. with OEL Myers and Loui.. at least they had the careers to justify their signing.. i dunno how a player with 32 points career high manage to finess JR/PA into giving him 4 years at 4.75mil.. Joshua prolly looking at mikheyev's contract and like.. i do everything mikheyev does.. and literally had the same season he had before he managed to get a 4 year 4.75mil.. you want me to take less than 3mil? 

Edited by wai_lai416

You have to put things into context. Carolina is moving Necas because 1) They think Jarvis has surpassed him in the depth charts meaning the important minutes are given to Jarvis, like PP1. 2) They will resign Guentzel, who looks like a legit 40 goal scorer, not a product of Crosby. 3) They want to upgrade on goaltending, the reason why they think they lost, and find someone to take Andersen's contract and Necas is their best trading chip to do this. 

Necas is probably very much worth the hype. Hes just not going to land in Vancouver unless we part with Demko. 

3 hours ago, Drakrami said:

You have to put things into context. Carolina is moving Necas because 1) They think Jarvis has surpassed him in the depth charts meaning the important minutes are given to Jarvis, like PP1. 2) They will resign Guentzel, who looks like a legit 40 goal scorer, not a product of Crosby. 3) They want to upgrade on goaltending, the reason why they think they lost, and find someone to take Andersen's contract and Necas is their best trading chip to do this. 

Necas is probably very much worth the hype. Hes just not going to land in Vancouver unless we part with Demko. 

They also need rhd. No chance anyone trades them a Demko level goalie. Maybe ana finally moves Gibson, but they don't really need Necas.

Can anyone make sense of the Clarkson comparison? For the life of me I can't seem to understand how these two players have been compared...

Furthermore, Carolina is notorious cheap and unwilling to pay long term contracts unless absolutely needed. He hasn't been a great fit overall there though still has been very good. And if every team seems to be interested him wouldn't that be a hint that other people also seem to think he's good.

I'd be curious to why op doesn't think Necas is good and where the hell that left field comparison came from.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

am i missing something here? people now don't want necas? 

One person doesn't not make a people. The majority would be stoked if our management could pick up high end talent to play with Petey.

13 hours ago, Provost said:

One year of Hronek and facing an arbitration case with an unknown cap number until later in the summer which would handcuff Allvin from making all his other moves… and risk damaging the prospects for next season.

There are more variables than what position someone plays.

Hronek logs the 2nd most ice time on the team. No moves are more important than the top 2 dmen.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Devron said:

F Necas

Honestly it’s just the flavour of the month. Would be an interesting add but I’m sure it’s not happening. Theirs 31 other teams out there 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Devron said:

Honestly it’s just the flavour of the month. Would be an interesting add but I’m sure it’s not happening. Theirs 31 other teams out there 

Might not be Necas but I really believe for this team to take the next step they’re gonna need another elite winger to play with Petey. 

Thinking about guys like Hossa and Datsyuk playing together and how nasty they were, that’s the level we need to try and get to. If we keep plugging in guys like Hoglander and Mikheyev with Petey we’ll never untap his full potential.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Might not be Necas but I really believe for this team to take the next step they’re gonna need another elite winger to play with Petey. 

Thinking about guys like Hossa and Datsyuk playing together and how nasty they were, that’s the level we need to try and get to. If we keep plugging in guys like Hoglander and Mikheyev with Petey we’ll never untap his full potential.

Agreed but they have to figure it out without removing a top 2-3 defensemen. Allvin has work to do 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Hogs can play Garland’s minutes. So we can move off of all Garland’s cap via trade. Buy out Mik. There’s 7.5 mil for a winger to play with Petey. If we trade Hronek for Necas + Morrow we get the Wingsr but then need a top four right shot D. Maybe we get lucky and Guentzel wants to come here? 

15 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

the reason carolina wants to move necas is they have 2 RW ahead of him.. they have Svechnikov and Jarvis.. are you going to play necas ahead of any of the other 2?? and if he's looking for 7-8mil.. can you afford to pay the guy that amount on your 3rd line? if they are investing 7-8mil.. they are better off getting a guy that actually fits in their top 6

It's the same situation as Lindholm IMO...you got Miller and Petey ahead of him, you can't really pay Lindholm (who's a very good player) 8 million a season to play 3rd line center.    

21 hours ago, Blue said:

Trading Hronek for a winger is madness. 

Teams like Chicago and San Jose need NHL players. Mikeyev is not negative value. 

Id rather try a winger in free agency. 

Not necessarily when said winger is a year removed from a 70+ point season as a center with elite potential. It makes sense if you can move Hronek for that then replace him with a Matt Roy/Brandon Montour type. 

28 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

It's the same situation as Lindholm IMO...you got Miller and Petey ahead of him, you can't really pay Lindholm (who's a very good player) 8 million a season to play 3rd line center.    

Its not like there is some rule that says you can't have three good lines with three good centers that share minutes. There also isn't a rule that says petey can't be the 'elite' winger and lindholm his center. 

There is also no rule that we all have to pretend that Necas is some elite top 6 forward when his numbers going back 5 seasons don't show that AT ALL. In the last 5 years the guy has had one good season.. not great or super star season.. but good. And it wasn't even this year.. it was last year so he has regressed. And people are talking about him being the 'elite winger' answer? Talking about locking him up to a contract similar to lindholm or guentzel? Its crazy. 

11 minutes ago, Pears said:

Not necessarily when said winger is a year removed from a 70+ point season as a center with elite potential. It makes sense if you can move Hronek for that then replace him with a Matt Roy/Brandon Montour type. 

'year removed' .. 'potential'

In other words.. he's had one good season out of 5 and it wasn't this year. Nothing about Necas' numbers scream elite even with the one good season. 

21 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

If you can move Mikheyev to one of:

Chicago

Pittsburgh 

San Jose

Chances are you can do so without a negative sweetener.

I would make a push on Daniel Sprong upfront. His game is fit for a top six offensive producing role.

Daniel Sprong wasn't very well liked in Pitts. 

Per The Athletic: His teammates weren’t particularly enamored with his personality after Sprong was drafted in the second round in 2015. In fact, he was forced to take an Uber from his Pittsburgh hotel to training camp in Cranberry Township on a daily basis in 2015 because some of his veteran teammates didn’t take kindly to him.

Posted (edited)

I have a feeling the Canucks won't be able to afford Hronek, Lindholm or Zadorov, unfortunately. 

Hronek for Necas

Sign UFA Pesce

Re-Sign Myers and Joshua

Hoglander - Miller - Boeser

? - Pettersson - Necas

Joshua - ? - Garland

Podkolzin

Hughes - Pesce

Soucy - Myers

?

Team could look very different next season.

Edited by Nucker67

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, rmok said:

'year removed' .. 'potential'

In other words.. he's had one good season out of 5 and it wasn't this year. Nothing about Necas' numbers scream elite even with the one good season. 

Necas is absolutely a legit top 6 winger that unfortunately got stuck behind Svechnikov and Jarvis on Carolina’s depth chart. He's likely looking at 7-7.5m which is right in line for a very good top 6 winger like he is. Noone is saying he's an elite player yet but he does have the potential. If he was already, he'd be looking for 10m+ per year.

He'd be a massive upgrade on guys like Suter, Hoglander and Mikheyev. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, trading Hronek for Necas and somehow trading Mikheyev to free up the cap space could possibly be enough to sign Lindholm as well......

______-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Petey-Necas

______-Lindholm-Garland

Edited by zduck14

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, zduck14 said:

Necas is absolutely a legit top 6 winger that unfortunately got stuck behind Svechnikov and Jarvis on Carolina’s depth chart. He's likely looking at 7-7.5m which is right in line for a very good top 6 winger like he is. Noone is saying he's an elite player yet but he does have the potential. If he was already, he'd be looking for 10m+ per year.

H

Based on what. Not 5 years of his play. 

So we are trading a known #2 defenseman RD  that might want 7.5-8 per ... for a second line winger that has never ever actually played like a 2nd line winger and will want the same money? 

That makes NO sense. Even if Necas was worth that (and he isn't)  top pairing RD are way more valuable and way harder to find. Much better off just paying Hronek and finding another winger. 

Edited by rmok