[Discussion]Too much hype around Necas

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Depends on the cost to acquire and what Nescas expects in his next contract. His speed through the neutral zone would certainly open up more room for Petey. Maybe the Canes like Garland? 
Garland + Hronek for Nescas + + + 

How about Hronek and Garland for Necas, Scott Morrow (big young RHD) and a 2nd? I see the value as Hronek for Necas and Morrow and then Garland for a 2nd. I'd hate to see Garly go but his play this year has at least given him positive trade value. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

ding ding ding

yes, thats a great comparison (to the situation, obviously the player is very different)

Miller (at the time) was stuck behind some star players and getting 3rd line minutes while never putting up more than 55 points a season.

All he needed was an opportunity, top 6 minutes and better playing partners.    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Necas has absolutely proven that he is a top 6 winger.

No he hasn't. And you guys continuing to repeat it doesn't change anything. 

3 hours ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Miller (at the time) was stuck behind some star players and getting 3rd line minutes while never putting up more than 55 points a season.

He was also under contract for multiple years at 5 million. Is Necas going to sign for 4 years at 5-6 million and be the team leading scorer during that period? 

6 hours ago, rmok said:

He was also under contract for multiple years at 5 million. Is Necas going to sign for 4 years at 5-6 million and be the team leading scorer during that period? 

So I'm fairly convinced you haven't watched any Carolina games and are basing your opinion of Necas on stats alone....

At 7-7.5M, he's not being asked to be the leading scorer. That's simply the price for a very good top 6 winger in the NHL which, yes, he has proven he can be. When given the opportunity to play with guys like Aho, he put up 71 points.... Unfortunately for him, Carolina also has 2 young studs named Jarvis and Svechnikov that he got stuck behind on the depth chart this year.

In Vancouver? He'd be a massive upgrade over Mikheyev, Hoglander, Suter, PDG, and whoever else we tried to pass off as top 6 players. 

• ThereItIs 1

Doesn’t necas have 2 years rfa left before he’s eligible for ufa? He only have 5 years in the nhl needs 7years? If we make a move for necas we can either do a 1 year and see how he fits before signing him to the big contract.. although it comes with a massive risk that he breaks out with say ep and all of a sudden be worth more than he would be right now. But on the other hand if he isn’t what we think he is we won’t be stuck with a long term big contract

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, rmok said:

Clearly you don't like Necas...which is fine.

If it was 2018, like when Miller signed his contract,  I believe he could. (Given the same opportunity) 

However, seeing as how contracts (and everything else) has risen in the last 6 years we'd probably have to pay him more.  

I think a bridge deal for Necas would be more in the Brock Boeser range in todays value. Just my opinion however.  

Edited by Blitz-Pix

13 hours ago, Blitz-Pix said:

agreed

necas skill is undeniable, as is his speed and forecheck

Insider Says Martin Necas Trade Could Be Completed This Week

Dave Litman Monday, June 03, 2024

There's been plenty of heat around the Martin Necas trade rumors in recent weeks, and if you subscribe to that old axiom, where there's smoke, there's fire, a Necas deal may not be far off. In fact, insider Frank Seravalli of Daily Faceoff said today that a trade could be completed by... this Saturday? 

“I wouldn't be shocked to see Marty Necas dealt before Game 1 of the Cup Final on Saturday. They have a new GM, and they are also arriving at this inflection point with their roster. “

The Hurricanes certainly have a lot of mouths to feed this offseason, with a slew of key UFAs and RFAs to deal with. And Necas, who's made it clear that he would like to find a new situation, is one RFA that the Canes will absolve themselves of, and they'll have no problem doing it.

"There have been so many teams that are excited to get Necas, I don’t envision a path for him to come back to Carolina. I think Vancouver, Calgary, Columbus are at least three of the teams I am paying attention to when it comes to the Necas-front, he has been a very, very hot commodity."

Necas registered 24 goals and 29 assists for 53 points this season in 77 games, while adding another nine points in 11 playoff games. Those regular season numbers were down a bit from last year, and his time on ice dipped by a full minute this season as well. The 25-year-old is ready to move on and get a fresh start.

Sounds like that could happen sooner rather than later. 

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/06/insider-says-martin-necas-trade-could.html

I think deal could be made around a Hronek - Necas trade.

CAR Brent Burns is almost 40 and will be in the last year of his contract.  They could really use Hronek.

Hronek + Mik

for

Necas + prospect RHD Marrow + 2nd.

Sign Necas to a bridge deal $5M x 3yrs or gamble with a long term deal like $6-7M x 8yrs and hopes he breaks out.

Lol.  Yeah I’m trying to dump Mik in the deal.

• Like 2

So if they're looking for a top 3-4 damn gor Necas, what would they ask for JK?  Could you get JK, Morrow and their first or second for Hronek?

You'd be getting a young 3rd line C with tons of room to grow, a solid rhd prospect ready to play in the NHL and a pick that they don't currently have.

They could be happy with JK and Morrow then use the pick to flip for another dman or top 9 fwd

1 hour ago, stawns said:

So if they're looking for a top 3-4 damn gor Necas, what would they ask for JK?  Could you get JK, Morrow and their first or second for Hronek?

You'd be getting a young 3rd line C with tons of room to grow, a solid rhd prospect ready to play in the NHL and a pick that they don't currently have.

They could be happy with JK and Morrow then use the pick to flip for another dman or top 9 fwd

If we could flip Hronek for Necas and JK we do it tomorrow. No need to overpay for Guentzel, and we can still likely maintain a solid d group.

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

If we could flip Hronek for Necas and JK we do it tomorrow. No need to overpay for Guentzel, and we can still likely maintain a solid d group.

But I'm saying how about leaving Necas out and go for JK, morrow and a pick?

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, rmok said:

No he hasn't. And you guys continuing to repeat it doesn't change anything. 

His production has been that of a top six forward for two years in a row.  It’s a petty easy fact to check.  What exactly would you like to see? Lol

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

But I'm saying how about leaving Necas out and go for JK, morrow and a pick?

that feels like more of a rebuilding move to me, with Necas we might get really good shooter back with Petey. 

• Cheers 2

Latest On Martin Necas’ Trade Market

June 3rd, 2024 at 2:22pm CST • By Josh Erickson

Martin Nečas‘ availability in a potential trade has been one of the dominant early storylines of the 2024 offseason. The Hurricanes have been considering moving his signing rights as contract negotiations with the pending restricted free agent remain in a stalemate, and while there was a sense they may make one last pass at re-signing him with interim GM Eric Tulsky now at the helm temporarily, that seems unlikelier with each passing day.

To that end, Daily Faceoff’s Frank Seravalli said on the site’s podcast today that a Nečas trade may come over the wire as soon as this week. Previously, we’ve covered reports that the Canucks, Flames and Canadiens have displayed some level of interest in his services. Recently, David Pagnotta of The Fourth Period confirmed that at least 12 teams have Nečas “on their radar” and added the Flyers, Kraken and Predators to the existing list of teams that have dictated their interest to Carolina.

Notably, no single team has been named a frontrunner throughout the reporting process over the last few weeks. It’s also been quiet about what the Hurricanes might be able to get in return for their 2017 12th-overall pick, who has 52 goals and 124 points in 159 games since the 2022-23 season.

Nečas, 25, still has another offseason of RFA status ahead of him, but it’s clear he wants to ink a long-term deal this summer. Contract projection models indicate his value is likely in the $7.5MM area on a max-term deal, a figure the Hurricanes don’t seem willing to oblige with the younger Seth Jarvis surpassing him on the depth chart and also needing a new deal this summer. They have a multitude of UFAs to try to retain this summer as well, including one of the best forwards available in Jake Guentzel, who Pagnotta also reported Monday will likely test the market next month before deciding whether to return to Carolina.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/latest-on-martin-necas-trade-market.html#ref=home

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

that feels like more of a rebuilding move to me, with Necas we might get really good shooter back with Petey. 

Well, that's assuming they're letting Lindy leave and JK fills that 3C role pretty well.  23, +50% f/o, good at both ends, had 43 points two seasons ago and if they can get him back to that, that's a now and future move.  He's cost controlled long term and provides a good succession plan as Miller declines.  He seems like an RT kind of guy to me.

Morrow is pretty ready to step into the NHL and will provide good d depth now and will be a future top 4 with Willander for years to come.  He's more future, but does provide some now depth.

With the pick they can use it to help them in the now, either as a good piece to get someone directly or as a sweetener to move IM..........in that case they get cap relief to go after UFA.

To me, it just adds cap and roster flexibility to get who they want, not who they can get or afford.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, spook007 said:

does that not still leave us without a winger for Petey?

I don't get why people just gloss over Garland, I think he's an excellent linemate for Petey and Hogz.

Ultimately you're not going to solve all your problems in one off season, it's a year by year build to the top.  This move gives them some cap and roster flexibility and allows them to bring back Zad and have $ and assets to play with.

Whether Carolina goes for that package, I'm not sure

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Folks need to face that EP needs and deserves SKILL to accompany him. It’s time to bite the bullet and obtain that for him.

Unless it’s an unmitigated disaster trying to navigate the market and there isn’t much left for us to choose from, plugging the Duclairs and players of that ilk are not a longterm solution. EP is going to lead the F charge for the coming years and now is the time to find his running mate. We can fill the 3rd linemate from within, but we do not have the resources internally right now to do so and to expect certain players to benefit him the way he plays is basically handicapping his talent.

Edited by RWJC
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't get why people just gloss over Garland, I think he's an excellent linemate for Petey and Hogz.

Ultimately you're not going to solve all your problems in one off season, it's a year by year build to the top.  This move gives them some cap and roster flexibility and allows them to bring back Zad and have $ and assets to play with.

Whether Carolina goes for that package, I'm not sure

I'm not sold on Garland as a top line player... he was tried before in the top 6, and it didn't work, all be it some time ago...

He may end up being tried as a top line player by default, but I'm not sold on it....

Just now, spook007 said:

I'm not sold on Garland as a top line player... he was tried before in the top 6, and it didn't work, all be it some time ago...

He may end up being tried as a top line player by default, but I'm not sold on it....

If anyone has earned it, it's Garland.  I really dont get the disrespect.........he's literally made every player he's played with better.

You give him a top role, you don't plug him in there for a tryout or plug him in when needed

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Folks need to face that EP needs and deserves SKILL to accompany him. It’s time to bite the bullet and obtain that for him.

They've got a highly skilled rw on the third line making $5m who was one of their best players all season

Just now, stawns said:

If anyone has earned it, it's Garland.  I really dont get the disrespect.........he's literally made every player he's played with better.

You give him a top role, you don't plug him in there for a tryout or plug him in when needed

Well in the end everybody is there for a tryout... 

He's proved beyond doubt that he was good in his 3rd line position with Joshua and Bluger (later Lindholm), but lets not forget that a year ago, folks were speaking about sweeteners to get rid of him... 

I don't dislike or disrespect him, but I want to build on the good thing happening just now, not just move sidewards or backwards....

On a side note, don't know that much about Morrow, but sounds interesting... Would he be ok to step straight into the line up as a top 4, or would we still need another player for Hughes?

I think Blue has a valid point about the Necas hype. I am hoping Allvin and the Canucks scouts go off the board to find some relatively unheard of player who can be developed into a positive asset to the team.