[Discussion]Too much hype around Necas

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Well in the end everybody is there for a tryout... 

He's proved beyond doubt that he was good in his 3rd line position with Joshua and Bluger (later Lindholm), but lets not forget that a year ago, folks were speaking about sweeteners to get rid of him... 

I don't dislike or disrespect him, but I want to build on the good thing happening just now, not just move sidewards or backwards....

On a side note, don't know that much about Morrow, but sounds interesting... Would he be ok to step straight into the line up as a top 4, or would we still need another player for Hughes?

Only a few folks who play a bit more than they're interested in having actual discussions.  

Morrow is an excellent prospect who would be great starting in a platoon role on Rd with Juulsen.  Decent size and a good two way, skilled player and coming off a good NCAA career.  They'd have some cap flexibility to get a rhd to play with Hughes either through UFA or a trade

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, stawns said:

Well, that's assuming they're letting Lindy leave and JK fills that 3C role pretty well.  23, +50% f/o, good at both ends, had 43 points two seasons ago and if they can get him back to that, that's a now and future move.  He's cost controlled long term and provides a good succession plan as Miller declines.  He seems like an RT kind of guy to me.

Morrow is pretty ready to step into the NHL and will provide good d depth now and will be a future top 4 with Willander for years to come.  He's more future, but does provide some now depth.

With the pick they can use it to help them in the now, either as a good piece to get someone directly or as a sweetener to move IM..........in that case they get cap relief to go after UFA.

To me, it just adds cap and roster flexibility to get who they want, not who they can get or afford.

yeah that could work as well depending on how high the pick is and what we can flip it for. 

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

They've got a highly skilled rw on the third line making $5m who was one of their best players all season

Yes and that’s 1 out of 2 spots that needs to accompany EP. There needs to be a higher skilled finisher 3rd brought in for  that line 

25 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Folks need to face that EP needs and deserves SKILL to accompany him. It’s time to bite the bullet and obtain that for him.

Unless it’s an unmitigated disaster trying to navigate the market and there isn’t much left for us to choose from, plugging the Duclairs and players of that ilk are not a longterm solution. EP is going to lead the F charge for the coming years and now is the time to find his running mate. We can fill the 3rd linemate from within, but we do not have the resources internally right now to do so and to expect certain players to benefit him the way he plays is basically handicapping his talent.

I really like Garly, and love him on the 3rd line. I don't think he's a feared shooting threat. Is he good, yes he certainly can be, so maybe as a fallback we have the Garly-Petey option, but I'd like to aim higher to begin with. 

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Only a few folks who play a bit more than they're interested in having actual discussions.  

Morrow is an excellent prospect who would be great starting in a platoon role on Rd with Juulsen.  Decent size and a good two way, skilled player and coming off a good NCAA career.  They'd have some cap flexibility to get a rhd to play with Hughes either through UFA or a trade

Cost controlled as well. I know we're not necessarily interested in "futures," but young, talented cost controlled players that will improve with experience every day are exactly what we need to keep managing the cap and better our chances at retaining the Zadorovs, Linholms, and Hroneks. Players are going to need raises every year, it's better to have a strategy to keep rolling until you're forced to sell high. That said, we do have Willander and D-Petey in the pipe, so there really needs to be a 3-4 year lookahead plan constantly in evaluation.

Same deal as Lekk: Hoglander is going to want a raise after next season. If Lekk can step in and work his way into the top six over then next two seasons, you can sell Hog for more manageable assets if he keeps improving to the point where he wants 5-6m a year too.

Just now, Ralph. said:

Cost controlled as well. I know we're not necessarily interested in "futures," but young, talented cost controlled players that will improve with experience every day are exactly what we need to keep managing the cap and better our chances at retaining the Zadorovs, Linholms, and Hroneks. Players are going to need raises every year, it's better to have a strategy to keep rolling until you're forced to sell high. That said, we do have Willander and D-Petey in the pipe, so there really needs to be a 3-4 year lookahead plan constantly in evaluation.

Same deal as Lekk: Hoglander is going to want a raise after next season. If Lekk can step in and work his way into the top six over then next two seasons, you can sell Hog for more manageable assets if he keeps improving to the point where he wants 5-6m a year too.

I think they have to have their eye on future as much of the now.  I'm hoping they're trying to build a perennial playoff team, not just a shot with this core 

• Cheers 3

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, rmok said:

No he hasn't. And you guys continuing to repeat it doesn't change anything. 

Wrong. Look across the league at what constitutes top 6 on each team and he’s firmly within the conversation. 12 teams wouldnt be interested in the player at potentially 7 mill per if he wasn’t. Unfortunately your opinion is negated by GM interest against potential cap allocation, alone. 

Edited by RWJC

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I think they have to have their eye on future as much of the now.  I'm hoping they're trying to build a perennial playoff team, not just a shot with this core 

Precisely. There's always a balance. The Red Wings juggled for 20+ years doing this, it can be done. Cup windows don't always have to be 3-5 years.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Yes and that’s 1 out of 2 spots that needs to accompany EP. There needs to be a higher skilled finisher 3rd brought in for  that line 

I don't think so.......focus on the getting dcorp reinforced, let Hogz, Petey and Garland have a year together and see how it goes.  If it doesn't work, exchange Garland and Boeser or make a mid year hockey trade and sort out the top 6 next season

They simply don't have the cap to solve their top 6 problem externally and keep the dcorp somewhat intact.  

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Best way to do hat though is get them recurringly into the  playoffs.

Imho, EDM just salvaged the potential to extend Draisaitl simply by having such playoff success and making it into the finals. Had they not, it might have been a difficult proposition. 

Just now, stawns said:

I don't think so.......focus on the getting dcorp reinforced, let Hogz, Petey and Garland have a year together and see how it goes.  If it doesn't work, exchange Garland and Boeser or make a mid year hockey trade and sort out the top 6 next season

They simply don't have the cap to solve their top 6 problem externally and keep the dcorp somewhat intact.  

Yes they do. They are going to lose Lindholm and that money wi go to a Necas or Guentzel. Hronek will extend. Blueger or Suter will be counted on to play 3rd line C. I bet this is how it unfolds.

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Yes they do. They are going to lose Lindholm and that money wi go to a Necas or Guentzel. Hronek will extend. Blueger or Suter will be counted on to play 3rd line C. I bet this is how it unfolds.

They can't afford Guentzel and it sounds like he doesn't want to play in Canada anyway. 

And with necas, it'd only be in a trade for hronek which might get them Necas and maybe one other piece and then you're going to have to give nevas a similar deal they would have to give Hronek anyway, so you're not getting any cap flexibility and you're on the hook for another long, high aav deal.

They need cap and roster flexibility

Just now, RWJC said:

This is why i'd like to see Garland with Miller and Boeser.  Then get Petey one of those bonafide wingers plus Joshua (or cheaper UFA) and let them earn their $$ up front.

The key is moving Mikheyev to have the cap room.

I think we have a great young (and cheap) 3rd line in the making with Hoglander - Raty - Podkolzin.

Then PA can build a big, fast, cheap on the 4th line with Suter.

Garland - Miller - Boeser          ($20M)

Guentzel - Petey - Joshua       ($23M)

Hoglander - Raty - Podkolzin  ($3.5M)

Bains - Suter - Karlsson           ($3M) 

Hughes - Hronek                       ($15M)

Zadorov - Myers                        ($8M)

Soucy - Juulsen                         ($4M)

Demko - Silovs                           ($7M)

----

$83.5M

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, stawns said:

They can't afford Guentzel and it sounds like he doesn't want to play in Canada anyway. 

just curious where you heard this?

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

And with necas, it'd only be in a trade for hronek which might get them Necas and maybe one other piece and then you're going to have to give nevas a similar deal they would have to give Hronek anyway, so you're not getting any cap flexibility and you're on the hook for another long, high aav deal.

we actually have quite a bit - 23+ mil right now, 26 with LTIR, with the potential for 3.6 more if they want to buy out Mik. 

I do think Podz makes the lineup, Hogs, Aman, PDG, Silov all cheapie deals. Bluegar likely comes back on something decent. 

So they should be able to have room for maintaining the d quality (not necessarily all the same players) and add quality to the top 6. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

we actually have quite a bit - 23+ mil right now, 26 with LTIR, with the potential for 3.6 more if they want to buy out Mik. 

I do think Podz makes the lineup, Hogs, Aman, PDG, Silov all cheapie deals. Bluegar likely comes back on something decent. 

So they should be able to have room for maintaining the d quality (not necessarily all the same players) and add quality to the top 6. 

Agreed. Podz will get every chance to make the roster next season from camp. They’ll need his low cap hit 

30 minutes ago, stawns said:

We shall see. When mgmt blatantly expressed the need to find the proper W/C for EP I don’t think they were insinuating it could be from within 

4 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Agreed. Podz will get every chance to make the roster next season from camp. They’ll need his low cap hit 

yea just doing a quick napkin sketch - Teddy 2.5, Necas 8, Tanev 4, Z 5, UFA depth F 1 mil - thats 23.5. So something like this should be possible.

32 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Probably nowhere because it was widely reported we were at the top of Guentzel's list of teams he'd be ok to be traded to. 

• ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

yea just doing a quick napkin sketch - Teddy 2.5, Necas 8, Tanev 4, Z 5, UFA depth F 1 mil - thats 23.5. So something like this should be possible.

Myers?

Cole?

And if they could get Zad for 5, it'd likely be done done by now.

Am injury plagued, 34 year old dman who just looked awful against a team the Canucks have to get through for $4m?  Let's hope not

The guentzal thing, I can't remember where I read it

Edited by stawns

2 hours ago, RWJC said:

We shall see. When mgmt blatantly expressed the need to find the proper W/C for EP I don’t think they were insinuating it could be from within 

Well, they don't have much room to maneuver.  They're going to have to make significant compromises in multiple spots

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, stawns said:

Myers?

Cole?

And if they could get Zad for 5, it'd likely be done done by now.

Am injury plagued, 34 year old dman who just looked awful against a team the Canucks have to get through for $4m?  Let's hope not

The guentzal thing, I can't remember where I read it

Myers you have ltir to cover. Cole you let go 

On 6/1/2024 at 6:27 PM, IBatch said:

They want to take a run at Geuntzal.   So they need to find cap.    Necas has value.   

Is Guentzel going to make it to free agency? 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Is Guentzel going to make it to free agency? 

Rumour is yes. He wants to suss out the highest possible contract offer he receives prior to making any decision as to where he ends up. Good negotiaton tactic for wherever he currently sees as options. 

Edited by RWJC

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, stawns said:

Well, they don't have much room to maneuver.  They're going to have to make significant compromises in multiple spots

just a refresher:

last year Allvin had just $11 million to work with and came out of free agency with Suter, Blueger, Soucy, and Cole. He also traded away over $12 million in contracts to Pearson, Beauvillier, and Kuzmenko while bringing in DeSmith, Zadorov, and Lindholm.

it is entirely possible.

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

just a refresher:

last year Allvin had just $11 million to work with and came out of free agency with Suter, Blueger, Soucy, and Cole. He also traded away over $12 million in contracts to Pearson, Beauvillier, and Kuzmenko while bringing in DeSmith, Zadorov, and Lindholm.

it is entirely possible.

He traded away Kuz and AB during the season, which is what I said was a legit path this upcoming season 

I'm sorry, but touting those players as comparable to what has to be done in the next few weeks isnt really the same thing.  However, it does show that spreading ttye $ around as efficiently as possible is a good move, not giving it to a couple of players.

Unless you've got a McD or Drai type, depth wins Cups.