Speeding Ticket

Not sure if this is the proper place, but would like to get some opinion from Vancouver people

Got pulled over by the cop this morning and she told me that I was driving 57km/h at 30km/h zone right after the 30km/h sign.  I told her that I was outside of the 30 zone when she got me (and when i went back and checked the dashcam, I was clearly at least 5 car spaces clear of the 30km/h sign).  After some back and forth, she issued me a speeding ticket for driving 57 at 50 zone.  So now I am considering whether I should fight for the 7 km/h in court and on what grounds, much appreciated for your comment

Not sure you're going to get much traction from a judge on this.  The "50" isn't a suggestion.  It's the official speed limit.  

The only possible challenge you might have is if you can demonstrate that you were travelling below the speed limit the whole time and thus it's an instrument calibration issue on their speed detector.  7 km/hr is a high variance though.  And it sounds like your dashcam also recorded your speed infraction.  So that's probably out the window too.

Sorry that I'm not the conveyor of news that you wanted to hear, but thems the breaks.  (pardon the pun)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Canucks 2003 said:

Not sure if this is the proper place, but would like to get some opinion from Vancouver people

Got pulled over by the cop this morning and she told me that I was driving 57km/h at 30km/h zone right after the 30km/h sign.  I told her that I was outside of the 30 zone when she got me (and when i went back and checked the dashcam, I was clearly at least 5 car spaces clear of the 30km/h sign).  After some back and forth, she issued me a speeding ticket for driving 57 at 50 zone.  So now I am considering whether I should fight for the 7 km/h in court and on what grounds, much appreciated for your comment

I would if you have the time.   Years ago I went to the court house to pay a similar fine.   A girl at the counter advised me to see the judge.   I told her I was guilty and just wanted to pay.  She politely but firmly told me that she thought it was in my best interest to see the judge.  I did.  I can't remember the original fine or what I ended up actually paying but it was a significant decrease.

1 hour ago, Canucks 2003 said:

If you can produce evidence, and are sure, then produce it and fight it. 

It’s going to cost you some time but be vindicated if you’re innocent. 

You can always ask for a hardship deferral, when in court, if it’s going to affect you detrimentally financially. 

Be kind and respectful in court. 

I fought every ticket I ever got back in the day, cops never even showed up to court and they were tossed...

Maybe different now, but I would thinks cops are busier than ever and the courthouse for traffic detail would likely be low priority?

And for only 7 km, I would definitely show up to fight that one...

For only 7km over the limit? Really? In a construction, school, or park zone I get it, but come on. My stepdad has been pulled over for going 15-20km over and gotten a ticket, and the cop told him: "if you're doing 10 over, we won't pull you over, but more than that we will". 

9 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

I fought every ticket I ever got back in the day, cops never even showed up to court and they were tossed...

Maybe different now, but I would thinks cops are busier than ever and the courthouse for traffic detail would likely be low priority?

It is true that sometimes the Police don't show up.  In Vancouver, they usually do.  When you're dealing with RCMP, there's a chance that they are transferred out of province and you never hear about your challenge again.  

I've challenged about 6 tickets, and the Police showed up every time except once when I was never notified of a court date and that was RCMP.  Vancouver Police showed up every time (4) and they know their stuff.  RCMP are less professional in general but I wouldn't rely on that happening.  Often, they will try to cut a deal with you in the lobby (once I was charged for speeding and no seatbelt and they said they would waive the seatbelt charge if I pled guilty to speeding).  You could also plead guilty but ask for a reduction of the fine (and give plausible reasons) which the Judge will usually allow.  Although the points might be your bigger concern because if you have more than 4, you'll get what I call the "Happy Birthday" fine from ICBC which is a second fine that they issue on your birthday because you have more than one violation in a year.  What bastards they are.

In your case, I agree with 6of1 above.  While you would never get pulled over for driving 57 in a 50 zone, it's still over the limit and you don't have a leg to stand on.  The Police give evidence first and Vancouver Police will cover everything including the last time the radar gun was calibrated and what the accuracy of the particular device is.  

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Back in the day, we got to pick our court date when we disputed the ticket. Often the cops would not take time to hang around the court for one traffic ticket, so they were no-shows. But for years now they choose the court times for the police convenience, arranging it so the cop has a dozen or so tickets at the same court time, so they almost always show up now. 

I always dispute tickets too, but when the cops have shown up to testify, I have only beaten them once. That one was most gratifying.

2 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Admit nothing 

challenge everything. 
Fuck the rcmp and their revenue collection bs.  

Not admitting when one is wrong only gets one into deeper trouble and fines. 

Challenge yes. Accepting personal responsibility, yes.  

The RCMP, again are worth the respect they’re denied by folks that think ‘they’re all the same and all out to get you’. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

There maybe rules that say the cop can't 'extend the stop'- in that she stopped you for speeding in a 30k zone, but after finding out she was wrong , nailed you for the other thing? 

The fact that she did this, could lead the judge to lean your way-after all she admitted to one mistake, so why isn't she wrong on the other charge?

Reasonable doubt is all you supposedly need.

23 minutes ago, Gurn said:

There maybe rules that say the cop can't 'extend the stop'- in that she stopped you for speeding in a 30k zone, but after finding out she was wrong , nailed you for the other thing? 

The fact that she did this, could lead the judge to lean your way-after all she admitted to one mistake, so why isn't she wrong on the other charge?

Reasonable doubt is all you supposedly need.

As long as the speed was ‘clocked’ above 30Kmh, at any point within that speed range, it’s a ticket. 

Doesn’t matter if one is slowing down or speeding up. 

I was trying to hold my tongue. 

It doesn’t matter. If the ‘gun’ gets you in the ‘zone’ the only defence is to argue against the ‘gun’ itself. 

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

I agree with D.B. Cooper. Fight it. Bog down the court system. Not all people in law enforcement are fair or competent. Some have a chip on their shoulder  I have seen them speed. I have seen them park in a no  stopping zone to grab a coffee. Do as I say not as I do.

Also the cop tried to nail you for going 27 over the limit. That was just wrong.

I'm glad you spoke out about that. And mention that in court.

Edited by Joe King
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

As long as the speed was ‘clocked’ above 30Kmh, at any point within that speed range, it’s a ticket. 

In this case-the ticket isn't  for going too fast in a 30 zone; but too fast in a 50.

after mistakenly trying to ticket for the first allegation, which the officer admitted at roadside, was a wrong thing to do.

16 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Not sure you're going to get much traction from a judge on this.  The "50" isn't a suggestion.  It's the official speed limit.  

Which is hilarious to me because when an admitted speeder ran a red light and t-boned my Dad ICBC declared that the speed limit was just that...suggested!! I said it says maximum...."do you know what that word means?". They didn't care. 

When I got my speeding ticket the cop was super cocky until he realized it was my first ticket and he softened. Said he had to write me the ticket but "you should fight it". I said no, I think I'll pay it (so you don't get a day to go to court).

Often the cops don't show so you might want to try.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Which is hilarious to me because when an admitted speeder ran a red light and t-boned my Dad ICBC declared that the speed limit was just that...suggested!! I said it says maximum...."do you know what that word means?". They didn't care. 

Good thing ICBC isn't a court of law, and had your dad's case made it to court, ICBC would likely have had to pay through the nose (assuming this was before the no-fault era).

4 hours ago, -dlc- said:

When I got my speeding ticket the cop was super cocky until he realized it was my first ticket and he softened. Said he had to write me the ticket but "you should fight it". I said no, I think I'll pay it (so you don't get a day to go to court).

Often the cops don't show so you might want to try.

I find that any time I have had any dealings with law enforcement I am left wanting some sort of justice. The out comes have left me feeling let down or betrayed and angry. It's worse than nhl officiating.

On 5/31/2024 at 4:05 PM, Canucks 2003 said:

Not to sound like a nasty person, but it seems you have a bad habit of speeding - allegedly speeding 57 km/h in a 30 zone - and allegedly speeding 57 km in a 50 zone. Either way, just take the ticket and don't speed.

• Cheers 1

On 6/2/2024 at 12:44 AM, PureQuickness said:

Not to sound like a nasty person, but it seems you have a bad habit of speeding - allegedly speeding 57 km/h in a 30 zone - and allegedly speeding 57 km in a 50 zone. Either way, just take the ticket and don't speed.

No, this is my first ticket in 7 years, or second ticket in the last 15 or 20 years.  I was driving 50-ish at 50 zone (not 30 zone), i can barely see anyone driving below 50 at 50 zone nowaday anyway.  Seriously, i never expected a cop to be hiding in the 30 zone but shooting at the 50 zone...

• Sad 1

Thanks all for your valuable input.  I will definitely dispute the ticket.  I guess my only ground is that the police officer was accusing me on the wrong offence at the first place  and fed me wrong information that I was at the 30 zone but actually I was at the 50 zone with dashcam evidence.  See what the judge will say and go from there.  If I need to pay the ticket, then I'll pay the ticket... no loss there, maybe the judge will give me another 6 months to pay.... cheers and thanks all

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Canucks 2003 said:

for those interested, the cop (yellow dot) was on left of the black trunk in the middle, the playground sign 30 is just a bit to the right, I was not in the 30 zone (unless I am wrong)

image.thumb.jpeg.0d8c19a5c4e4146c67fb2ae89266c64f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8735a2eeacceafb180874387f7d6bf39.jpeg

That's fine, but you were still shot 57 km in a 50 zone. Wrong information or not, there's zero reason for you to be at that speed. Also, not getting a ticket in 7 years doesn't mean you haven't been speeding; it's just that you didn't get caught.

I'm not trying to be a dick here. Everyone SPEEDS, but the trick is to limit the amount of times you do it. It's possible. Besides, even in this instance, going 57 to 30 would require you to brake a little bit to get to that point. Would you have done so? You were obviously in a bit of a hurry, considering you were clocked at 57 in a 50 zone. I'm thinking no, you wouldn't have respected the 30 since you didn't respect the 50 zone speed limit lol.

Not sure why you won't own up to responsibility. It's somehow someone else's fault that you were clocked at 57 km/hr?

Edited by PureQuickness

On 5/31/2024 at 4:05 PM, Canucks 2003 said:

Dispute it. More often than not, the issuer of the ticket can't make it to the dispute hearing, and, in that instance, the ticket is dismissed.