Speeding Ticket

11 minutes ago, Canucks 2003 said:

for those interested, the cop (yellow dot) was on left of the black trunk in the middle, the playground sign 30 is just a bit to the right, I was not in the 30 zone (unless I am wrong)

image.thumb.jpeg.0d8c19a5c4e4146c67fb2ae89266c64f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8735a2eeacceafb180874387f7d6bf39.jpeg

Was the 50 sign clearly visible?

that 30 zone isn't the most obvious, due to tree/branch growth.

I'm presuming the pic shown is the same car the infraction occurred with, or is it a different ride height?

8 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Was the 50 sign clearly visible?

that 30 zone isn't the most obvious, due to tree/branch growth.

I'm presuming the pic shown is the same car the infraction occurred with, or is it a different ride height?

The 50 sign doesn't need to be fully visible. It is ASSUMED that the speed limit is 50, unless it is otherwise posted. Furthermore, this is NOT a highway (i.e. Lougheed Highway with 60 km/h).

From this picture, it's hard to tell where he's at. Maybe in Coquitlam?

Like I said, everyone speeds, but having to make excuses for why we're speeding is BAD. Dispute it if you weren't speeding, but if you sped and you got caught, you can't just make excuses like not seeing the 30 km/h sign lol. If you can't see a sign like THAT, it's time to get glasses or hang up your license.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PureQuickness said:

The 50 sign doesn't need to be fully visible. It is ASSUMED that the speed limit is 50, unless it is otherwise posted. Furthermore, this is NOT a highway (i.e. Lougheed Highway with 60 km/h).

From this picture, it's hard to tell where he's at. Maybe in Coquitlam?

Like I said, everyone speeds, but having to make excuses for why we're speeding is BAD. Dispute it if you weren't speeding, but if you sped and you got caught, you can't just make excuses like not seeing the 30 km/h sign lol. If you can't see a sign like THAT, it's time to get glasses or hang up your license.

Dispute everything you want to dispute- it is up to the Crown to prove you did the infraction, not for us to admit it.

it's in Vancouver, not Coquitlam.

If I was in the 30 zone and you got me in the 30 zone, I'll take it.  If I was in the 50 zone and you got me in the 50 zone, I'll take it as well (although i know cop don't usually pull you over within 10km/h).

If I was in the 50 zone and you accused me for being in the 30, that's dirty and i won't take it.  You cannot accuse me for being in the 30 and now accuse me for something else, in 50, fine, i just don't like the way I am being treated and i'll dispute it and let the judge decide

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Canucks 2003 said:

it's in Vancouver, not Coquitlam.

If I was in the 30 zone and you got me in the 30 zone, I'll take it.  If I was in the 50 zone and you got me in the 50 zone, I'll take it as well (although i know cop don't usually pull you over within 10km/h).

If I was in the 50 zone and you accused me for being in the 30, that's dirty and i won't take it.  You cannot accuse me for being in the 30 and now accuse me for something else, in 50, fine, i just don't like the way I am being treated and i'll dispute it and let the judge decide

I understand your logic. That being said, whether you get your ticket or not, I hope that you slow down from now on. I drive every day on Coast Meridian (Port Coquitlam) and I see people driving way too fast for a posted 50 km/hr zone. Sometimes they're very aggressive and will cut you off just so they can go faster. Don't be these asshats.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

That's fine, but you were still shot 57 km in a 50 zone. Wrong information or not, there's zero reason for you to be at that speed. Also, not getting a ticket in 7 years doesn't mean you haven't been speeding; it's just that you didn't get caught.

I'm not trying to be a dick here. Everyone SPEEDS, but the trick is to limit the amount of times you do it. It's possible. Besides, even in this instance, going 57 to 30 would require you to brake a little bit to get to that point. Would you have done so? You were obviously in a bit of a hurry, considering you were clocked at 57 in a 50 zone. I'm thinking no, you wouldn't have respected the 30 since you didn't respect the 50 zone speed limit lol.

Not sure why you won't own up to responsibility. It's somehow someone else's fault that you were clocked at 57 km/hr?

You  said it yourself every one speeds. Yourself included?. To maintain Exact speed is impossible unless the road is completely level. And I find trying to go slightly less than the posted speed (so to not go over the speed in a downward dip) is dangerous. People will tailgate, or swerve back and forth trying to get around. The cop here seems to try to make the charge here worse than it is by trying to nail this poor guy with going 27 over. And come on 7 over the limit,sounds like this cop is trying to fill a quota.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Joe King said:

You  said it yourself every one speeds. Yourself included?. To maintain Exact speed is impossible unless the road is completely level. And I find trying to go slightly less than the posted speed (so to not go over the speed in a downward dip) is dangerous. People will tailgate, or swerve back and forth trying to get around. The cop here seems to try to make the charge here worse than it is by trying to nail this poor guy with going 27 over. And come on 7 over the limit,sounds like this cop is trying to fill a quota.

7 is well beyond the scope of speeding though. It's not 54. And besides, going from 57 to 30 at that point where the playground sign is kinda unrealistic. I just don't believe it.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

That's fine, but you were still shot 57 km in a 50 zone. Wrong information or not, there's zero reason for you to be at that speed. Also, not getting a ticket in 7 years doesn't mean you haven't been speeding; it's just that you didn't get caught.

I'm not trying to be a dick here. Everyone SPEEDS, but the trick is to limit the amount of times you do it. It's possible. Besides, even in this instance, going 57 to 30 would require you to brake a little bit to get to that point. Would you have done so? You were obviously in a bit of a hurry, considering you were clocked at 57 in a 50 zone. I'm thinking no, you wouldn't have respected the 30 since you didn't respect the 50 zone speed limit lol.

Not sure why you won't own up to responsibility. It's somehow someone else's fault that you were clocked at 57 km/hr?

If you seriously believe that driving 57 kmh in a 50 zone on a wide open clear dry semi-arterial street with excellent visibility is egregious behaviour that deserves to be punished, I can only assume that your driving experience is quite limited.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

If you seriously believe that driving 57 kmh in a 50 zone on a wide open clear dry semi-arterial street with excellent visibility is egregious behaviour that deserves to be punished, I can only assume that your driving experience is quite limited.

Almost 10 years of CLEAN driving, bud. I also volunteered as part of the speed watch. I understand what cops are looking for. That's all I'm saying.

15 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

I can only assume you speed no matter what the speed limit is.

Sincerely a person with 50 years of driving experience and no tickets and no accidents.

On 5/31/2024 at 4:05 PM, Canucks 2003 said:

Not sure if this is the proper place, but would like to get some opinion from Vancouver people

Got pulled over by the cop this morning and she told me that I was driving 57km/h at 30km/h zone right after the 30km/h sign.  I told her that I was outside of the 30 zone when she got me (and when i went back and checked the dashcam, I was clearly at least 5 car spaces clear of the 30km/h sign).  After some back and forth, she issued me a speeding ticket for driving 57 at 50 zone.  So now I am considering whether I should fight for the 7 km/h in court and on what grounds, much appreciated for your comment

To recap: you were speeding, argued about how much you were speeding and got a 'win' and now you are looking to see if you can enhance your win into getting away with it all together? 

The best advice I can give you is SLOW DOWN. But also if you dispute it and the taxpayer funded cop can't attend the hearing, you might win. FWIW though, you just admitted you were speeding and you should pay the fine. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

21 hours ago, Canucks 2003 said:

for those interested, the cop (yellow dot) was on left of the black trunk in the middle, the playground sign 30 is just a bit to the right, I was not in the 30 zone (unless I am wrong)

image.thumb.jpeg.0d8c19a5c4e4146c67fb2ae89266c64f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8735a2eeacceafb180874387f7d6bf39.jpeg

just looking at the whole scene: what part of that road screams "YEAH 60 IS FINE!"?

Some cops are jerks. Law enforcement is made up of human beings, like all professions.

At the end of the day you were speeding. Take it on the chin. Maybe put in a complaint about the officer too. 

Btw: not long ago I did a digital stress test, it's similar to a polygraph. One of the questions to test your lying reactions and get a baseline is they ask you to say 'no' to the question " have you ever diven over the speed limit?" 

They know everyone has at some point. Kinda like jaywalking.

A reduction in vehicle speed from 50 km/hr to 30 km/hr reduces the average probability of a pedestrian fatality from approximately 80 percent to approximately 10 percent.

So if 50 is 80% likely to kill someone you hit by accident, what is 57? We all know it is more than the rate for 50 which is 70% more than the rate for 10%. 

I only just saw this topic five minutes ago but I am starting to think the OP would benefit from a defensive driving course. 

On 6/2/2024 at 3:44 AM, PureQuickness said:

Not to sound like a nasty person, but it seems you have a bad habit of speeding - 

A bad habit of speeding. 2 tickets in 15 to 20 years. Wow Sounds like something a cop would say. Believe me when I tell you cops make mistakes and presumptions. Guilty until you prove yourself innocent. And they all stick together to support their coworkers. If I were Canucks 2003 I would take offence to this statement.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

they ask you to say 'no' to the question " have you ever diven over the speed limit?" 

They know everyone has at some point. Kinda like jaywalking.

Every one except PureQuikness.

1 minute ago, Joe King said:

Every one except PureQuikness.

In 32 years of driving, I have a clean record. I have driven a lot in my life including 6x across Canada. I got pulled over once in Sask but the nice cop let me off with a warning. 

Doesn't mean I haven't sped a bit now and again. If i get caught i will own it. 

However, in general i take my time. I love driving, have some sweet rides too. I even walk slow. I dont know why the world is in such a rush. 

I feel they could up all the speed limits and some people would still want to go faster. Have to draw the line somewhere. 

But again, cause I know first hand, some law enforcement people are jerks...some are awesome . Thats just human beings for ya.

• Cheers 2

19 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

. And besides, going from 57 to 30 at that point where the playground sign is kinda unrealistic. I just don't believe it.

Vehicles have these things called brakes. They not only slow the vehicle quickly they can also stop the motion of the vehicle quickly

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Joe King said:

And they all stick together to support their coworkers.

I just saw this.

You are incorrect. I am aware of a few internal investigations of officers that were brought forward by other officers. Integrity and professionalism is kinda our whole gig. 

Edited by bishopshodan

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

In 32 years of driving, I have a clean record. I have driven a lot in my life including 6x across Canada. I got pulled over once in Sask but the nice cop let me off with a warning. 

Doesn't mean I haven't sped a bit now and again. If i get caught i will own it. 

However, in general i take my time. I love driving, have some sweet rides too. I even walk slow. I dont know why the world is in such a rush. 

I feel they could up all the speed limits and some people would still want to go faster. Have to draw the line somewhere. 

But again, cause I know first hand, some law enforcement people are jerks...some are awesome . Thats just human beings for ya.

I also drive safe and as close to the speed limit as possible. And I also know cops are jerks, believe when I say this that I will always challenge anything to do with cops. they are not all competent.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I just saw this.

You are incorrect. I am aware of a few internal investigations of officers that were brought forward by other officers. Integrity and professionalism is kinda our whole gig. 

I guess I have a strong feeling about this. I have personally had dealings with questionable cops. And I definitely felt all alone.

Wanted to add this feeling will never subside when it comes to my anger about cops.

Edited by Joe King
  • Huggy Bear 1

Just now, Joe King said:

And I also know cops are jerks, believe when I say this that I will always challenge anything to do with cops. they are not all competent.

I have suggested twice now that not all of them are the best. 

But to say cops are jerks is a blanket statement that is simply not true. 

Cops put their life on the line every single shift for the public, for people that they have never met. They serve us.  I dont know what you do for work but I always make sure to kiss my wife 'goodbye' every morning. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Joe King said:

I guess I have a strong feeling about this. I have personally had dealings with questionable cops. And I definitely felt all alone.

Wanted to add this feeling will never subside when it comes to my anger about cops.

I am sorry you have been hurt. I really am.

I hope one day you can accept that it is not all of us over here in law enforcement. 

One day a cop might save someone you love. 

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I am sorry you have been hurt. I really am.

I hope one day you can accept that it is not all of us over here in law enforcement. 

One day a cop might save someone you love. 

I never will. But sounds like you work in law enforcement so I will back off.