[Speculation] Maple Leafs Open Contract Talks With Tyler Bertuzzi

Maple Leafs Open Contract Talks With Tyler Bertuzzi

June 1st, 2024 at 6:00pm CST • By Brian La Rose

Winger Tyler Bertuzzi is one of many pending unrestricted free agents for the Maple Leafs and is also one of their more prominent ones.  It had been suggested previously that there was mutual interest in a contract extension and it appears those talks are now underway, according to David Pagnotta of The Fourth Period (Twitter link).  He added that it’s way too early in the process to determine if the two sides might be able to work out a new deal.

Last summer was an interesting one for the 29-year-old.  Even though he was coming off a down year, Bertuzzi was one of the better unrestricted free agents in last year’s class, landing in the top ten in our annual rankings.  That appeared to have him set to receive a multi-year agreement (if not a long-term one) and a raise on the $4.75MM AAV he had been playing on.

However, the market he was hoping for never materialized.  Rather than accept a multi-year deal at a lower rate, he instead pivoted on the second day of free agency, inking a one-year, $5.5MM pact with Toronto.  It looked like his hope was that a key role on a Maple Leafs team that had a strong offensive core could help better position himself to land a long-term agreement on the open market this time around.

Things didn’t go quite as planned, however.  Bertuzzi got off to a slow start, notching just nine points in his first 27 games despite holding down a spot in the top six for most of that time.  He was able to rebound in the second half, however, finishing up with 21 goals and 20 assists in 80 games before tying for the team lead in playoff points with four.

Bertuzzi is only two years removed from a 30-goal season when he had 30 tallies and 32 assists in 68 games during the 2021-22 season.  He also has two other 21-goal campaigns under his belt so there is a reasonable track record of offensive success.

Having said that, the fact he wasn’t able to get back to that 30-goal mark (instead staying closer to his career averages) won’t help his chances of landing a raise and a long-term pact.  If Bertuzzi wants some job security in the form of a multi-year agreement, he’s likely going to have to take at least a small discount on the salary side.

Toronto has a little more than $18MM in cap room this summer, per CapFriendly.  However, they have to sign a few forwards, several defensemen, and a goalie with that money so while there is some flexibility to make a big signing if they want, they also need to spread that money around.  They have next month to figure out if a new deal for Bertuzzi fits in with how they want to allocate their remaining cap room.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/maple-leafs-open-contract-talks-with-tyler-bertuzzi.html#ref=home

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

How's it going? Haven't seen you post for a while.

@Coconuts
yeah, get your ass back in gear, lol.

I’m having to do my best Vintage impersonation and I suck at it!

Edited by RWJC
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

How's it going? Haven't seen you post for a while.

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

@Coconuts
yeah, get your ass back in gear, lol.

I’m having to do my best Vintage impersonation and I suck at it!

I've been down on vacation on the island the past couple weeks, we're in Merritt right now so we're on our way back up

You'll see more of me soon :classic_ninja:

• Cheers 2