[Report] New professional hockey team coming to British Columbia, new details emerge

After rumours earlier this month about a new professional hockey league which will feature a team in British Columbia, we finally have more details about this venture.

Major League Hockey is what it'll be called and they plan to get underway this fall with 16 teams across North America. In Canada, they will have teams in British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Ontario and Quebec. Meanwhile in the United States, teams will be placed in Arizona, New York, California, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New England, Oklahoma, Texas and Florida.

The league's format will be 3-on-3, to show the fast pace and intensity that the NHL uses in overtime, although for MLH, it'll be for a full game. Each team will play two 24-minute games each night with those being played on Friday and Saturday's.

As for the rosters for Major League Hockey, they will be filled with NCAA and U Sports players, as well as those who play in junior leagues in Canada, the United States and Europe. Major League Hockey also added that each team is allow three "World Class" players. A "World Class" player is defined by someone who is a free agent either in North America, Europe or Russia and have major professional experience. The league also mentioned that female players will be considered to play.

Each team will have 14 players on their roster (12 skaters, two goaltenders) and a 2024 Player Draft has already been completed by Major League Hockey's scouting staff. Rosters and draft results are expected to be announced in the coming weeks.

"MLH teams can sign three WORLD CLASS players. These can be free-agents in North America, Europe or Russia with major professional-level experience. Teams will then fill out their roster with talented players from the NCAA or Canadian U Sports, plus major junior players in Canada, the United States and Europe. We're proud to announce that qualified female players will be considered equally."

Now, as for financial backing of this new league, it's unclear where the money is coming from, but each of the 16 franchises will have a salary cap of $30 million, with teams earning an additional $100K for a victory.

More details regarding Major League Hockey will be announced over the coming weeks and in the summer. The schedule, cities that teams will be playing in, logos/branding, arenas and ticketing are all questions that need to be answered before puck drops later this year.

https://www.canucksdaily.com/nhl/news/new-professional-hockey-team-coming-to-british-columbia-new-details-emerge

Can't please all the folks, all the time, but it seems this is what they're aiming to do. Besta'luck..but wouldn't give this silly scheme a millisecond of time.

Guess with the NHL being so rigged & shabbily run, other options will try to emerge. If it's too similar, evil lil'Bettman will go frothing-mad, rabid-lawsuit mode.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

Yeah, kinda caught me off guard too.

Is June 1st a thing, like in April but I didn't get the memo?

It definitely has shades of XFL.

Didn't really know what to make of it. 3 on 3, eh? So every game is gonna be a fuckin all star game? Hey, look, the guy who is the top goalie has a .600 save percentage and a 9.75 goals against average. The novelty of that will wear off really quick.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

Didn't really know what to make of it. 3 on 3, eh? So every game is gonna be a fuckin all star game? Hey, look, the guy who is the top goalie has a .600 save percentage and a 9.75 goals against average. The novelty of that will wear off really quick.

Yeah, and also shorter games (24 minutes I think), and two per night on Fridays and Saturdays. They will just be a constant blitz from one side or the other.

I am starting to feel like this is an attempted segway into a more skill focused and less violent version of the NHL.

Edited by Drive-By Body Pierce
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

Yeah, and also shorter games (24 minutes I think), and two per night on Fridays and Saturdays. They will just be a constant blitz from one side or the other.

I am starting to feel like this is an attempted segway into a more skill focused and less violent version of the NHL.

Worse.

Hockey for people with no attention span.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

This league won’t even play one game. 

You're probably right. But if they do, it won't last. Nobody wants to watch an all star game every game.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, gwarrior said:

You're probably right. But if they do, it won't last. Nobody wants to watch an all star game every game.

Yup. These gimmick leagues won’t work in hockey areas. Maybe down south where they don’t know much about the game they might get some fans following? But not up here. 

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. These gimmick leagues won’t work in hockey areas. Maybe down south where they don’t know much about the game they might get some fans following? But not up here. 

That's why I compared it to the arena football league. But that lasted for a while. But who knows, strange things happen. I just don't see it flying, no hits, no defence. No thanks.

• Vintage 1

16 hours ago, gwarrior said:

It'll be like 7 a side rugby.  Completely different game, completely different strategy.  Maybe they'll have a tournament atmosphere and people will dress up for the games.

The thing about 15 a side rugby union is that for people who have never played, there's a lot to learn about what is going on and a lot of it, you have no clue unless you've played because you can't see clearly what is going on.  Rugby league is more transparent.  But with hockey, this is not the issue.

8 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

It'll be like 7 a side rugby.  Completely different game, completely different strategy.  Maybe they'll have a tournament atmosphere and people will dress up for the games.

The thing about 15 a side rugby union is that for people who have never played, there's a lot to learn about what is going on and a lot of it, you have no clue unless you've played because you can't see clearly what is going on.  Rugby league is more transparent.  But with hockey, this is not the issue.

Fair enough. I don't know much about rugby, so you've got me there. Who knows, maybe this new league will work, but I don't think it will here. In other markets it might.

2 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

Fair enough. I don't know much about rugby, so you've got me there. Who knows, maybe this new league will work, but I don't think it will here. In other markets it might.

7 a side also has 15 minute games and is an all out sprint.  I never thought it would take and I hated playing it but it stuck

• Like 1