[Speculation] Rangers may be considering Trouba buyout

He ain’t coming back to Canada. his wife is a New York doctor or something 

Yeah he’s menace on the ice for good and bad reasons but anyone who says they wouldn’t take him on their team is a liar liar pants on fire 

I mean if they’re going to buy him out maybe just get them to trade him to us with retention. They retain 3.5 mill and we’d have him at 4.5 mill a year for 2 more seasons. That would save them 5 mill over the buyout route! They’d pay 3.5 per year instead of the 4 mill and they wouldn’t have that 2 mill hit in the 27 and 28 seasons.

If he's moved he'll probably end up out East, he moved to support his wife's career if I remember correctly. Seems unlikely he comes out west, let alone northwest again. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is weird that people don’t want this player.  If the Rangers plan a buyout or retention, he is an excellent pick up.

Allvin and JR like big mobile defencemen and we all loved the physicality that Zadorov brought.  Trouba is several notches up on the meanness scale and is just better overall.

I don’t know if there is a better D coaching staff to get the most out of Trouba.

Imagine a defence that included:

Hughes-Trouba (50% retained)

Zadorov-Tanev/Hakanpaa

Soucy-Myers/Hakanpaa

Juulsen

That would be a core that wears any team down over a seven game series.

Then you have Hronek as trade bait for a top six forward.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Provost said:

I think it is weird that people don’t want this player.  If the Rangers plan a buyout or retention, he is an excellent pick up.

Allvin and JR like big mobile defencemen and we all loved the physicality that Zadorov brought.  Trouba is several notches up on the meanness scale and is just better overall.

I don’t know if there is a better D coaching staff to get the most out of Trouba.

Zadorov-Tanev/Hakanpaa

Soucy-Myers/Hakanpaa

Juulsen

That would be sweet. However, I seriously doubt the Rangers would move on from their captain

Edited by fuzzy

12 minutes ago, Provost said:

Zadorov-Tanev/Hakanpaa

Soucy-Myers/Hakanpaa

Juulsen

I think some people soured on him due to his performance in the playoffs. Finding out he skated the whole post-season on a broken ankle definitely warrants consideration on that front. His numbers have stayed consistent and he is without a doubt one of the most punishing hitters in the league. If our D coaches could fix his bad pinches like they did with Myers and we could have him at 50% retained ($4M)… I’d definitely be interested. I thought he was older than he is as well.

Edited by GrammaInTheTub
Forgot to mention broken ankle

2 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

That would be sweet. However, I seriously doubt the Rangers would move on from their captain

There are a bunch of reports that they are even considering a buyout.  They have him slotted into their 3rd pairing and need the cap space.  A trade with cap retained is better than a buyout.

Even with $3 million retained he becomes a cheap top four D.  The Rangers need cap space and are looking for a top six RW so I bet Hoglander would be a very attractive piece for them.

If you can trade Hronek and Mikhehev together you can get a good return that would be useful for us.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Provost said:

There are a bunch of reports that they are even considering a buyout.  They have him slotted into their 3rd pairing and need the cap space.  A trade with cap retained is better than a buyout.

Worth a shot

37 minutes ago, Provost said:

They also probably just want a culture change.

If you want a new captain sometimes it’s easier to trade your old one rather than strip them of the C.

Trocheck would be a good choice to take over.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

If you want a new captain sometimes it’s easier to trade your old one rather than strip them of the C.

We made that move…. 😄

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Zadorov-Tanev/Hakanpaa

Soucy-Myers/Hakanpaa

Juulsen

You think for a moment a guy with his history of stuff like this would be given the same pass if he was in Vancouver?

I can't see it

trouba.jpg

18 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Or Krieder. 

I mentioned this in another thread.  How about taking distressed assets off their hands and getting some prospects and picks and getting rid of mikhaev's contract at the same time

Trouba, kakko, othmann/sykora (or both) and their first this year

For

Hronek Mikhaev

The good thing about having had success, some cap space to work with, and a coaching staff with a lot of respect around the league… is that we have a decent chance of signing some of these guys.

They get a chance to win plus a good chance of rehabbing their value.  Not many teams have the combination of money, chance to win, AND holes in the top of the lineup they could slot into.

Trouba knowing there is a hole beside the Norris calibre Hughes available makes it especially attractive.

Heck even LA is apparently considering buying out Dubois and he could be available on a bargain basement price on a short term deal.  A space on Petey’s wing would look appealing.