[SCF] Florida Panthers (A1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Panthers in 7
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

1 hour ago, Canuck You said:

I missed the game because of my nephews bday , Read some of the comments here and got excited because most of you acted like it was complete Florida domination, Just watched the highlights and this was a much closer game then it's made out to be..Dedmonton had a ton of great grade A chances but looks like Bob stole this one for the team. GM2 will paint a clearer pic me thinks.

The goalie is part of the team and that's his job.This series will be won or loss by goaltending ...Florida has the better tender 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, viking mama said:

…& late but also very key injury to Boeser, the team’s leading goal scorer, & hot producer in the play-offs until

that very untimely freak blood-clot problem that would have kept him out for the rest of the play-offs & did for game 7 of series 2 vs EDM, also.

The hard luck has got to flip their way eventually. 

The Sutherland/O’Rourke factors in VAN losing 2 very pivotal games to EDM in series, cannot be under-stated or criticized, enough! These guys are plants to do the league’s bidding.

No director of officials, in the IIHF anyway, would even consider awarding games to these 2 head referees, when each has had such a lengthy & controversially gaff-marred history, officiating games involving one of these teams (VAN).

Sutherland’s involvement in particular,  indicated a strong level of bias that should have been automatically disqualifying. 

Regardless of what team you cheer for, everyone should be in agreement that any ref who makes his disdain/hatred for a certain team public, should not be allowed the privilege of working in the NHL.  

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

Goalie Bob has set up Camp in the Oiler's heads.

Yes, the Oiler scorers did miss some chances... but a lot of the reason why is they know how good Bob is and are trying to compensate too much.

Still the Oilers did carry a lot of the play and the score should have been closer...

So for the Oilers, there are bad signs... Bobrovsky establishing mental dominance... and good signs... they are getting chances.

Bad news for Oiler fans,  Bobrovsky's save percentage might not be as sparkling as a lot of cup champs,  thing is, he's got the ability to win series on his own.   Did this to CLB against one of the best regular seasons teams all-time in TB, and also did it against a team that outplayed them by a good margin quickly last year in CAR.     Then add the fact he's got the best save percentage against higher danger shots this year in the playoffs ... well the Oilers PP, which has got them where they are now,  won't be enough.    Won't be the first or the last time a goalie is the biggest difference maker in a series or a final.     Bobrovsky will need to keep it up for Florida to win for sure.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, IBatch said:

Barkov is so good, that he makes you want to cheer for his team.    He's about as perfect a forward as you can get.    Not many guys make me personally, want to cheer for another team,  Barkov and Crosby are pretty much the only ones since the cap came in.     Pronger in EDM too.     Didn't mind ANA winning either, after we were out.     That's all I can remember.    McKinnon didn't do it, McDavid didn't do it.   Kucherov didn't do it.    Just Pronger,  Crosby and Barkov.   I'd trade EP straight across in a heartbeat (never going to happen) with retention to even it up. 

The fact he does what he does without taking many minors is nuts.   He's fun to watch and when he does his highlight stuff it's as good as anything anyone else can.   

With Bergeron retired (last Selke was a gimmie  IMO, it happens occasionally though based on rep and retirement looming, Lidstrom's final Norris for example) , it's Barkov's turn and he doesn't really have much competition.    Imagine having one guy who can form his line with spare parts, and shut down the best of the best most of the time, and get his points.   Kesler was like that too.    Then add some decent wingers...you get what Florida has.    Stone and Barkov, they are the best in the business, at a different level at least for now.    Stone maybe his injuries will keep him out of it, those two guys make great Captains though. 

They do it differently,  Stone the best at takeaways, and picking pucks out of now where with his stick...Barkov has some Jagr in him,  good luck taking the puck away once he's got it and wants to move with it, and might just smash you to get the puck, or skate right through you once he's got it.    All with a Lady Byng like game, and the hands (passing,stickhandling and  shooting) to go with it. 

Seriously believe with Demko and Brock we'd of beat EDM.   For sure would be great to see us play a team like Florida for the cup.   

Couldn’t agree more. If Florida wins the Cup it will be in large part because of the job Barkov does on McDavid, while having a sneaky good offensive game.

A lot of people are singing Bob’s praises and touting him as the MVP for the playoffs. Barkov is the engine that drives the Panthers, and he would be  as deserving of the award as Bob. 

Edited by PistolPete13
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, IBatch said:

Bad news for Oiler fans,  Bobrovsky's save percentage might not be as sparkling as a lot of cup champs,  thing is, he's got the ability to win series on his own.   Did this to CLB against one of the best regular seasons teams all-time in TB, and also did it against a team that outplayed them by a good margin quickly last year in CAR.     Then add the fact he's got the best save percentage against higher danger shots this year in the playoffs ... well the Oilers PP, which has got them where they are now,  won't be enough.    Won't be the first or the last time a goalie is the biggest difference maker in a series or a final.     Bobrovsky will need to keep it up for Florida to win for sure.  

They showed a graph of where goals have gone in on Bob during the playoffs. If I recall correctly it was 16 goals high glove side, 15 goals high blocker. 1 on the stick side, two on the ice under his glove and Zero through the five hole.

Bob is freaking amazing on low shots. If the Oilers can’t elevate the puck, they are done like dinner. 

Edited by PistolPete13
  • Cheers 2

Oilers lost on almost every stat line. The one that stood out was hits. Every Panther was hitting except Vergy and he scored a goal. Talk about team commitment. The same can't be said about the Oilers and that suggests to me that they were leaning back on their skates and afraid of Panthers busting past them. Oilers had chances but did not crash the net enough. Hyman played his game in front. 

I am not super negative on the Oilers but could not help noticing after many whistles Oiler players were chirping the refs. Were the Canucks that bad in '11? I don't think so. 

The other problem is the Nurse/Ceci pairing. Nurse had been playing better with less TOI but looked loss at times, especially the 2nd goal. Oilers were desperate for positive news when they signed Nurse to his contract. Weak management? Nurse is a 5D who can play 4D if needed during regular season. In playoffs better teams are exposing his weaknesses. (-15) I suspect Oilers would move on other than the retention they would have to give to move him.  

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Nurse is a dash 15 in the playoffs. At evens the Coilers are an average club. 

I looked up the top pp's in playoff history and the top 5-10 didn't win a cup.  In the end 5 on 5 play matters and the Oilers will need to do more at 5 on 5 to win the series.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, flat land fish said:

I looked up the top pp's in playoff history and the top 5-10 didn't win a cup.  In the end 5 on 5 play matters and the Oilers will need to do more at 5 on 5 to win the series.

Oilies are very beatable 5 on 5. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Bob looks incredibly fast East to West and well positioned. Skinner is was slower misses his spots and leaves holes. It is unlikely Edm will win this series with this kind of goal tending  

• ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

The other problem is the Nurse/Ceci pairing. Nurse had been playing better with less TOI but looked loss at times, especially the 2nd goal. 

Nurse/Ceci were the 1st defensive pairing out after the Oilers had PP pushes. 

Everyone knows a well-rested “push-back shift” from the Panthers’ top-line is coming….& this was the “Knob’s” response, each time. Why??

I couldn’t believe it. 

Edited by viking mama

2 hours ago, flat land fish said:

I admire Nurse's consistency 

"Here, bounce it in off my butt" - Darnell Nurse

Gotta love how the Oilers defend here.

448152977_10160962888685549_656409937792

13 hours ago, PeteyBoeser said:

Panthers are dominated by Oilers and lucky they’re up by one… shots are lopsided. I just can’t see Oilers lose anymore 

Don’t you ever get tired of talking to yourself ?

• Haha 3