[SCF] Florida Panthers (A1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Panthers in 7
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Bob isn't just a hot goalie.  He's a front runner for the Conn Smythe and a former two time Vezina trophy winner who also took his team to the finals last year as well.  He's been playing lights out for most of the playoffs.  Has given up more than 2 goals in only 4 of the 19 games Florida has played this playoffs.

Edmonton is pretty much screwed unless they can get the refs to give them unlimited power play opportunities for the rest of the series.  Edmonton has ZERO shot if the game is 5v5...

Bob can be a vezina calibre goalie and then he can be an absolute sieve......... he's a well known headcase.  My guess is the Oilers aren't planning to change a thing, why would they and what would they change?  They did everything right but beat the goalie.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Bob can be a vezina calibre goalie and then he can be an absolute sieve......... he's a well known headcase.  My guess is the Oilers aren't planning to change a thing, why would they and what would they change?  They did everything right but beat the goalie.

They can't change a thing because whatever they do won't work.  They can't beat Bob.  It's that simple.  Unless they are given unlimited PP opportunities.  Edmonton barely beat Vancouver with our 3rd string goalie, how exactly do they expect to beat Florida with the Conn Smythe trophy front runner in the nets?

Also, Bob has been spectacular all season, he's a Vezina finalist.  So it's not like he just got hot a week ago, he's been lights out all year long...

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They can't change a thing because whatever they do won't work.  They can't beat Bob.  It's that simple.  Unless they are given unlimited PP opportunities.  Edmonton barely beat Vancouver with our 3rd string goalie, how exactly do they expect to beat Florida with the Conn Smythe trophy front runner in the nets?

Also, Bob has been spectacular all season, he's a Vezina finalist.  So it's not like he just got hot a week ago, he's been lights out all year long...

He has, but he is also a head case and you never know when that's going to crack.   Will he?  I don't think so, but I'd say Edmonton felt pretty good about their game last night........ they'll just keep doing what they were doing, eventually goals are going to go in

Edited by stawns

5 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

t's almost like the Oilers actually believe they are super heros or something LOL...

To me it looks a lot like Ekholm is losing weight.

36 minutes ago, Johnny said:

Ive really wanted to use that comparison but I dont think McDavid has it in him

his whining all the time for penalties tells me he wont put his head down and the work in

i know crosby used to whine but he stopped around 23 and focused on the game

Mcdavid is set in his ways

Really needs an absolute hardass as a coach.  Someone like Torts who will tell him that he needs to stop disgracing the sport if he doesn't want to sit in the press box, and is prepared to follow through.  As bad as his character issues are, I think the right coach might be able to make it clear that his refusal to play like a man is not acceptable.  This is what happens when you give the C to a locker room cancer.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Soilers better change things up if that's the best they got and couldn't score a single goal? , I'd take Maurice's coaching over Knobcocks any day..You don't thing the Cats didn't watch tape and make adjustments, They can only play better from here TBH.

3 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

Soilers better change things up if that's the best they got and couldn't score a single goal? , I'd take Maurice's coaching over Knobcocks any day..You don't thing the Cats didn't watch tape and make adjustments, They can only play better from here TBH.

The oilers outplayed Florida by a wide margin........they had a boatload of grade A chances and just couldnt beat Bob.  Sometimes that just happens.  About all they can do is just play that same game

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, stawns said:

Ownership didn't force MG to hand out no trades clauses like candy 

They weren't / aren't really worth the paper they are written on...

Most players, drop their NTC once they know they are unwanted, but it does give them some protection as to where they end up...

Don't give them NTCs or NMCs and they won't sign for the $ offered... It's hard enough to stay competitive with the tax issues, so they kind of try to draw an advantage.... 

Both Hansen and Burrows would likely have waived earlier, and maybe even the Sedins would...Kesler was ready to go and a few others like Bieksa would likely also have left in order to help the club... 

They all understood it was for the benefit of the club and nothing untoward them personally... 

It would likely have made us competitive a lot faster than the more than a decade of crap... add to that the amount of meaningless wins they accumulated each year under Benning, for no reason what so ever... I used to applaud them and believed it would be good for morale and belief... rubbish... It would have been far better to sink to the bottom at that stage and pick a Mathews or Drai or McD or MacKinnon etc... 

There is zero doubt of the benefit of drafting top 2-3 multiple years from the go... especially if you have a few 1st round picks... Imagine we in 2014 had picked Nylander or Ehlers together with Pastrnak... or even better one of Ekblad/Reinhart/Draisaitl together with Pastrnak... there's your rebuild half way done.

and the following year could have had one of McD/Eichel/Marner/Hanifin together with a Barzel/Boeser/ Crouse... 

There is your future core in 2 drafts...  Oilers did this, while fucking up the system with being so useless....

Oh well one can only imagine...

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, spook007 said:

They weren't / aren't really worth the paper they are written on...

Most players, drop their NTC once they know they are unwanted, but it does give them some protection as to where they end up...

Don't give them NTCs or NMCs and they won't sign for the $ offered... It's hard enough to stay competitive with the tax issues, so they kind of try to draw an advantage.... 

Both Hansen and Burrows would likely have waived earlier, and maybe even the Sedins would...Kesler was ready to go and a few others like Bieksa would likely also have left in order to help the club... 

They all understood it was for the benefit of the club and nothing untoward them personally... 

It would likely have made us competitive a lot faster than the more than a decade of crap... add to that the amount of meaningless wins they accumulated each year under Benning, for no reason what so ever... I used to applaud them and believed it would be good for morale and belief... rubbish... It would have been far better to sink to the bottom at that stage and pick a Mathews or Drai or McD or MacKinnon etc... 

There is zero doubt of the benefit of drafting top 2-3 multiple years from the go... especially if you have a few 1st round picks... Imagine we in 2014 had picked Nylander or Ehlers together with Pastrnak... or even better one of Ekblad/Reinhart/Draisaitl together with Pastrnak... there's your rebuild half way done.

and the following year could have had one of McD/Eichel/Marner/Hanifin together with a Barzel/Boeser/ Crouse... 

There is your future core in 2 drafts...  Oilers did this, while fucking up the system with being so useless....

Oh well one can only imagine...

Those ntc's definitely affected the future of the franchise.  I don't know anyone could argue otherwise

• Cheers 1

For those who said Demko would not have made a difference in this series, I hope they watched Game 1. Bobrovsky absolutely stone walled and stole this game for the Panthers.

With Demko in net, I can see us winning atleast 1 of Game 2 or 4 and the series we had against the Oilers could've been over in 5. This doesn't even factor in how much more confidence the team plays with Demko in net. It sucks that Demko injured himself in the first game of the playoffs and took away any opportunity for this team to go on an extended run.

31 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

For those who said Demko would not have made a difference in this series, I hope they watched Game 1. Bobrovsky absolutely stone walled and stole this game for the Panthers.

With Demko in net, I can see us winning atleast 1 of Game 2 or 4 and the series we had against the Oilers could've been over in 5. This doesn't even factor in how much more confidence the team plays with Demko in net. It sucks that Demko injured himself in the first game of the playoffs and took away any opportunity for this team to go on an extended run.

It's not like Arty didn't steal at least two games in that series

57 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Who said that?

The ones who said we can trade Demko and go with Silovs as starter next season.

Fans who only watch the highlight reel saves Silovs made on replays plus all those casual fans who only tune into to watch the playoffs but not the entire season kept telling me that Silovs is not the reason you lost the series. I agree, Silovs isn't the reason we lost, but Demko could be the reason we won.

21 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Unfortunately, a time machine wouldn't have made a difference. You can travel back in time all you want, but Benning's skull is too thick and no one (not even the Canucks scouting staff at the time) were able to convince him to not draft Juolevi at 5.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

That was a great game. Looking forward to game 2.

Yup, should be a good one ... looking forward to the Coilers trotting out their strategy of "trying to cry their way to a Cup and hiding behind their PP" ... good luck with that.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Rocket-68 said:

Yup, should be a good one ... looking forward to the Coilers trotting out their strategy of "trying to cry their way to a Cup and hiding behind their PP" ... good luck with that.

So much chatter about Nurse,  but imo Ekblad has been stellar this post season.  

• Cheers 2

44 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's not like Arty didn't steal at least two games in that series

Silovs is good, and not the reason we lost, but Demko could be the reason we won. Silovs still had a weakness in puck tracking and he struggles with shots from long range. Just look at how may goals were scored on him by Ekholm and Bouchard this series. Point shot from long range was his biggest weakness.

Game 1, he wasn't really good, but fortunately, Skinner wasn't as well and our offense pulled through. Let in 2 goals from point shots. Goals be Ceci and Ekholm/

Game 2, he was good, but didn't end up stealing it for us. I would say the loss is more on the team than on him, as I the Canucks stopped doing what made them a good team in the third period. However, with Demko in net, I can see the Canucks stealing this game. Most particularly, I don't think Demko would've let in that Ekholm goal early in the second (which is seconds after Boeser scored to put us up 2-1). The Canucks could've in theory enter the third period with a 2 goal lead instead of 1 and it could make a major difference in winning/losing this game as this game ended in OT. He let in 2 goals from point shot, 1 from Ekholm and 1 from Bouchard in OT (though this was more on Ian Cole than him).

Game 3, you can argue he stole this one for us. We were heavily outshot, but expected goals and deserved to win analytics showed that both teams are evenly played. Edmonton didn't dominate the Canucks as much as the shot clock shown. He let in 2 goals from the point, Ekholm and Bouchard (the Bouchard goal went off Ian Cole again).

Game 4, I would argue this is his best game of the series despite the loss. He kept the Canucks in the game for as long as he can. Running out to poke the puck away from Evander Kane late in the third to prevent him a potential breakaway. This allow the Canucks to tie the game late in the third. However, he did let in that last goal with about 30 seconds left, and it wasn't a great goal to give up. That last goal, was also a point shot from the blueline by Bouchard.

Game 5, is the Canucks best game as a team. Outside of the first period, the Canucks absolutely dominated the Oilers in the second and third period. He gave up only 2 goals, but none are from the point. He didn't need to steal this game, the Canucks were the better team and won it 3-2.

Game 6, this was just an all around bad game and I blacked out most of it due to how bad the game was. Silovs wasn't good in this one, but so is the rest of the team. He gave up 5 goals, and 1 of those goals are point shot from the point by... you guessed it.. Bouchard. This one doesn't worth much analysis, as the team just wasn't in sync and it was just not good.

Game 7, he was the reason why the game is scoreless in the first and he kept the Canucks in this one for as long as he can. It ended up as a nail biting 3-2 game. He gave up 1 goal from a point shot by Ceci. The second goal was a tip-in goal by Hyman from a Bouchard point shot (this one is very difficult to stop, as most elite goalies would have trouble with those).

The common theme is, he struggles with point shot from long range. A simple breakdown shows he let in a lot more goals from the point, and this series heavily boosted the numbers of Ekholm and Bouchard. His struggle from long range shot goes back to the regular season games too. The games against Arizona and Vegas at home in particular, He gave up a couple more soft goals from point shots. Fortunately, this is something he can work on and an area he could improve with practice/experience. I have faith he will be a really good goalie in the NHL one day. In this series, if we had Demko in net, he would've made a bigger impact/difference.

• Vintage 1