[SCF] Florida Panthers (A1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Panthers in 7
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Such a simple playoff recipe to beat any team and we nearly had it too;

1 - top defensive center

2 - 3 or 4 scoring lines

3 - great forecheck and evade their forecheck pressure

4 - great goalie

No need for a top elite forward or Norris calibre defenceman anymore when you play like this. I though Dallas would but for some reason they came out flat and lacked number 1.

We were close - Miller was great defensively but nothing like Barkov so far. Silovs was good but not Bob/Demko level. Our forecheck had been great during the season but dropped off when the pressure rose which is the deciding factor in the playoffs. 

I'd say we're pretty close. This Florida team would probably wipe us but I think we could have beaten Dallas and NYR so we're probably a top 4 or so team.

I would say there is no set formula. Usually the cup winner is the one that does a best job of forcing their system on the other team. 
Not sure where you come to the conclusion that a number one minute munching D is not part of,if not the key part, of the formula that it has been for decades. Pieterangelo for 2 of the most recent, Makar, Hedman, Letang only oitlier was Wash and they had Carlson at his absolute peak that year. 
3 solid scoring lines has definitely become a necessity for playoff success.  The forecheck has always been very important to wear D down. 
Good enough goaltending really, if anything we have seen that this is what a doesn’t necessarily need to be great anymore. Vegas, Avs, Capd and Penguins have all done it with just good tending.  Of recent cup winners, only the Lightning have really had elite goaltending (and Florida this year). 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 2

9 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I would say there is no set formula. Usually the cup winner is the one that does a best job of forcing their system on the other team. 
Not sure where you come to the conclusion that a number one minute munching D is not part of,if not the key part, of the formula that it has been for decades. Pieterangelo for 2 of the most recent, Makar, Hedman, Letang only oitlier was Wash and they had Carlson at his absolute peak that year. 
3 solid scoring lines has definitely become a necessity for playoff success.  The forecheck has always been very important to wear D down. 
Good enough goaltending really, if anything we have seen that this is what a doesn’t necessarily need to be great anymore. Vegas, Avs, Capd and Penguins have all done it with just good tending.  Of recent cup winners, only the Lightning have really had elite goaltending (and Florida this year). 

Actually Cup winners have goalies stopping pucks at really good rates. .920 and up. Right where Demko is.

Silovs was under .900

With Demko we are in the Cup Final. 

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Actually Cup winners have goalies stopping pucks at really good rates. .920 and up. Right where Demko is.

Silovs was under .900

With Demko we are in the Cup Final. 

Yes, good goaltending but you don’t need Vezina contenders. Look at the cup winning goalies of the last decade. A lot of just good enough with the Avs, St. Louis, Pittsburgh and Vegas. 
Lightning were the only championship team with true Vezina calibre tending and that was because they used the cap as toilet paper so they could pay that salary. Florida will also go on that list this year. 

• ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Yes, good goaltending but you don’t need Vezina contenders. Look at the cup winning goalies of the last decade. A lot of just good enough with the Avs, St. Louis, Pittsburgh and Vegas. 
Lightning were the only championship team with true Vezina calibre tending and that was because they used the cap as toilet paper so they could pay that salary. Florida will also go on that list this year. 

Winning teams need a goalie who is playing like a Vezina contender. We have Demko and the whole Coilers trip ends in five against us. Our most important player is Demko. 

49 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

All depends on how the team is built. When you have a Vezina calibre goaltender tying up cap, you need them to perform, no diff than your top fwds and D. FLA needs Bob to play well, and he should, as he is one of their best players. LVGKs, no Vezina calibre goalie(s), but their D is top shelf. Its all how your built.

The canucks are like FLA; they need Demko to play well to win, as he is one of their best players. He got injuried this year, and Silovs played well...just not Vezina level. My guess is that RT learned this year that Demko needs a 1B to stay fresh..expect that next year.

3 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

We see if Edmonton can do anything when in their barn.  Either the series gets closer or gets out of reach pretty quick now.  

With teams up 2-0 winning 91% historically, I’d say it’s closer to out of sight than out of reach for

Edmonton at this point. 

I look forward to hearing from our Edmonton posters how Edmonton would have won if only they had a team to support McDavid.

McDavid is great, but hockey isn’t basketball and while one guy can win a game - I don’t think he can win a series. 

Add in the Draisaitl raise coming and $14M+ tied down in Nurse and Campbell for term and they hurt not help the team. 

Best thing for Edmonton would be to get over the hill Holland out from behind the desk and a new GM who can embrace the pain for a retool quick (because they’ll be trending towards a full rebuild quickly if they don’t)

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

I'd add in good luck on injuries, and reffing that isn't so biased as to tilt more than one game. 

9 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

With teams up 2-0 winning 91% historically, I’d say it’s closer to out of sight than out of reach for

Edmonton at this point. 

I look forward to hearing from our Edmonton posters how Edmonton would have won if only they had a team to support McDavid.

McDavid is great, but hockey isn’t basketball and while one guy can win a game - I don’t think he can win a series. 

Add in the Draisaitl raise coming and $14M+ tied down in Nurse and Campbell for term and they hurt not help the team. 

Best thing for Edmonton would be to get over the hill Holland out from behind the desk and a new GM who can embrace the pain for a retool quick (because they’ll be trending towards a full rebuild quickly if they don’t)

If they want to keep winning, they deal Draisatl  this summer for a haul...and retool team around McD. They could be deadly under this model IF done right.

Example:

Drai + Campbell ---> Ullmark + Carlo + 1st/2nd rounder

Then, resign Bouchard and sign a scoring winger to play with McDavid. Use the extra $$ to rebuild bottom 6.

Their D would be quite good at that point and you'd have a 1A & 1B goal tender.

Bouch-Ekholm

Nurse-Carlo

Kulak-Broberg

????

17 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Edmonton at this point. 

I think it depends on whether Barkov is coming back or not.  That's a huge blow to FLA.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Ok.   Maybe.   Didn't beat EDM so who knows.    Had Dallas beating CAR/FLD in the final so what do I know.    Do know we lost.     Dallas is loaded with good young players and a good mix of vets with game still.    Felt we could beat them too.   Not without Brock and Demko though. 

Dallas has a lot a great players. I think that their lack of size and Otter’s so so play is what let them down. The Stars will only go as far as Otter takes them. He didn’t bring his A game, and that was all she wrote.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

Oilers getting dusted. Fitting.

And dirty Leon should be gone for this. If it's Myers??? Multiple games.

448267480_10160966904345549_500015715362

Agree completely. If the league player safety department wants to have any credibility whatsoever, that's at least 2 games.

If Aaron Rome's hit on Horton is worth 4 games, that's at least 2 or 3.

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Well consider this -- teams that take a 2-0 lead in the best-of-7 Stanley Cup Final have gone on to win the Cup 91 percent of the time (49-5).

When you realized we are on the wrong side of this stat....

• Sad 2
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, coho8888 said:

Arrogance extends to the Coach.  Your supposedly high end offense gets held to only one goal in 2 games and all you can say is that things would be different if they didn't hit 3 posts?  What about the chances that Florida missed on?  Wouldn't even give any credit to Florida who is clearly stifling their offense 5 on 5 and on the PP.  Is it any wonder why we hate them and their homer media?  IMHO they have nothing to be proud about.  Its taken them this long to reach the finals despite being given arguably the most talented forward in this era and 4 Number one overall picks since 2010.  Cheering for the panthers to sweep.

everyone knows Cockblock is just there to coach the way McBaby wants. 

• Cheers 3