[SCF] Florida Panthers (A1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Panthers in 7
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

35 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Dallas has a lot a great players. I think that their lack of size and Otter’s so so play is what let them down. The Stars will only go as far as Otter takes them. He didn’t bring his A game, and that was all she wrote.

They are FLA before the 2022 trade; they need a retool. FLA moved talent for talent, and they have been to the final the last 2 years. It takes a diff type of talent and we have seen that this year with FLA.

• Cheers 1

Watching the Panthers last night. They play fast, gritty, structured and wear their opponents out with their forecheck. The skaters make it easy for their goalie and the goalie makes the saves when needed. This seems to be the type of team that JR and PA are trying to build. I don't know if we're close to that though.

I'm jealous Panthers have Barkov...he's so underrated. Hope he's back next game and kill any hope that Oils might have left. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Wing said:

Watching the Panthers last night. They play fast, gritty, structured and wear their opponents out with their forecheck. The skaters make it easy for their goalie and the goalie makes the saves when needed. This seems to be the type of team that JR and PA are trying to build. I don't know if we're close to that though.

I'm jealous Panthers have Barkov...he's so underrated. Hope he's back next game and kill any hope that Oils might have left. 

it is where Tocc is trying to take us. Question is whether or not PA/JR can continue to bring in the players needed. I think they can but it's not going to be easy or cheap. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

He knows he will very likely get away with it, so why not?

Let Florida take it into their own hands and make sure this worthless piece of shit can never give another cheap shot.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

it is where Tocc is trying to take us. Question is whether or not PA/JR can continue to bring in the players needed. I think they can but it's not going to be easy or cheap. 

Im fine trading almost every draft pick if we bring in the right players that bring value.

Would anyone have a problem with trading two 2nds for Bennett now? 

Acquiring valuable players like that helps you win and their value only increases. They could easily trade him for a 1st and a top prospect now if they really wanted to. These are the types of players we need to trade for. Ones that increase in value after they arrive not decrease. 🤣

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Yes, good goaltending but you don’t need Vezina contenders. Look at the cup winning goalies of the last decade. A lot of just good enough with the Avs, St. Louis, Pittsburgh and Vegas. 
Lightning were the only championship team with true Vezina calibre tending and that was because they used the cap as toilet paper so they could pay that salary. Florida will also go on that list this year. 

Even Florida, before the final Bobrovsky was a pedestrian .905 or so, and still has a ways to go to sniff .920 and over.   You are correct.   Of all the teams to win a cup since the cap started, only Tim Thomas, Quick and Vasilevsky were Vezina winners and calibre goalies.   That's it.   Osgood had a great playoffs their second go at it, Giguere and Cam Ward did well.   Who else really?   Murray?  Binnington?   Crawford and before him what's his name?    

Yes, occasionally (Roy, Thomas), a goalie can win a cup mostly on his own, it happens.   Twice in my lifetime.    Otherwise top 10 goaltending will suffice.    As for Florida, they certainly are paying him to be a star, and he's done it before (winning a series almost  on his own).     As for Roy, 1993.   His COL team was stacked.   Also deserved the Smythe then too (2001).    Haven't seen a goalie like him since. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, IBatch said:

They better suspend him at least a game. 

The suspension is certainly warranted - Soucy got a game and Mc wasnt even inured.  The other thing they have to consider is that a suspension might calm down any retribution attempts.  Florida has a bunch of players that would have no problem targeting an oiler - not just one of their plugs but McD, Bouchard, or Draisaitl.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I would say there is no set formula. Usually the cup winner is the one that does a best job of forcing their system on the other team. 
Not sure where you come to the conclusion that a number one minute munching D is not part of,if not the key part, of the formula that it has been for decades. Pieterangelo for 2 of the most recent, Makar, Hedman, Letang only oitlier was Wash and they had Carlson at his absolute peak that year. 
3 solid scoring lines has definitely become a necessity for playoff success.  The forecheck has always been very important to wear D down. 
Good enough goaltending really, if anything we have seen that this is what a doesn’t necessarily need to be great anymore. Vegas, Avs, Capd and Penguins have all done it with just good tending.  Of recent cup winners, only the Lightning have really had elite goaltending (and Florida this year). 

If we want to just do the basics, it's strength down the middle,  a top to bottom solid D with a true number one defenseman, and a top ten goalie.   As the must haves. 

Agree there is no set formula, this one is as close as it gets.     Cap era, nothing like pre-cap where teams truly could load up.   Won't see a team send 10 guys to an all-star game ever again, and even that was rare (not fan voted either,  and teams didn't have to be represented). 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Darius said:

The suspension is certainly warranted - Soucy got a game and Mc wasnt even inured.  The other thing they have to consider is that a suspension might calm down any retribution attempts.  Florida has a bunch of players that would have no problem targeting an oiler - not just one of their plugs but McD, Bouchard, or Draisaitl.

Yes it for sure will matter.   What's to stop one of Floridas fourth liners from taking a two hander or playing their dirty game?   One blow out in EDM, and wouldn't shock me from seeing some dirty stuff in retribution.   The league has the opportunity to do the right thing.  

• Cheers 3

12 minutes ago, Darius said:

Bouchard was Florida's best player last night, they want him in the lineup.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

Bouchard was Florida's best player last night, they want him in the lineup.

I was perplexed when the sportsnet announcers were calling Nurse's injury a "big blow" to the oilers.  Having the -15 guy off the ice is a detriment to Florida!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Nucker67 said:

Canada's team? I don't think so. Oilers fans are an embarrassment. 

You bet they are psychos and were never Canada's team 

Edited by sbriggs
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Darius said:

This really pisses me off - for the principle here.  Leon is a dirtbag who is known to throw cheapshots when he is frustrated.  He just succeeded in eliminating an elite player who is one of the best shutdown forwards in the game.  This has the potential to affect the outcome of the series.

The league better step up and do the right thing and implement a suspension.  I dont think that will happen - one of the two oiler golden boys is involved and it seems like reputation / point totals weighs heavily in these suspensions.

Thats their gameplan, the only way they have a chance, just like against Vancouver, is if they aren't playing against their best players. If Vancouver had Demko we'd be playing Florida right now

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Darius said:

I was perplexed when the sportsnet announcers were calling Nurse's injury a "big blow" to the oilers.  Having the -15 guy off the ice is a detriment to Florida!

They love Edmonton on sportsnet

• Cheers 2

Gotta assume no hearing for Draisaitl at this point.  Sportsnet is spinning the narrative of "iffy" reffing in last night's game and guess what:  no action on an obvious intent to injure.  It's hard not to see the collusion between the NHL front office and the media in how this corrupt bush league operate.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Cheers 1