[SCF] Florida Panthers (A1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Panthers in 7
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

6 minutes ago, Olli Juolevi said:

Sure, there's no history because he's never got any actual supplemental discipline. He's easily one of the dirtiest players in the league though.

Torres was an awful head hunter, the league let him do it for years.   Eventually he was sprinting across the rink and jumping into guys with their backs turned.   If it wasn't encouraged (at least 8 more times he should have been suspended), things wouldn't have escalated the way they did.   Cooke was just as bad.    A lot worse than this.   Funny how it's "character" in some cases and how the eye of the beholder blurs it.      Messier, Steven's, dozens of other guys over the years.   Howe's elbows.    If this is the worst he's ever done, it's not going to be enough for the league to do diddly squat.   Torres "montage" would go on for 20 minutes easily, same with Cooke's. 

Edited by IBatch

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Torres was an awful head hunter, the league let him do it for years.   Eventually he was sprinting across the rink and jumping into guys with their backs turned.   If it wasn't encouraged (at least 8 more times he should have been suspended), things wouldn't have escalated the way they did.   Cooke was just as bad.    A lot worse than this.   Funny how it's "character" in some cases and how the eye of the beholder blurs it.      Messier, Steven's, dozens of other guys over the years.   Howe's elbows.    If this is the worst he's ever done, it's not going to be enough for the league to do diddly squat.   Torres "montage" would go on for 20 minutes easily, same with Cooke's. 

It's not his only one.

Something has to actually be done in order for a precedent to be set though. He'll just keep getting the "player has no history" treatment despite having a history.

15 minutes ago, Olli Juolevi said:

Sure, there's no history because he's never got any actual supplemental discipline. He's easily one of the dirtiest players in the league though.

I guess when you’re that bad of a skater that’s the only way you can catch your opponents. 🙄

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Im fine trading almost every draft pick if we bring in the right players that bring value.

Would anyone have a problem with trading two 2nds for Bennett now? 

Acquiring valuable players like that helps you win and their value only increases. They could easily trade him for a 1st and a top prospect now if they really wanted to. These are the types of players we need to trade for. Ones that increase in value after they arrive not decrease. 🤣

Like JT. That was a good first rounder to give up for. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I guess when you’re that bad of a skater that’s the only way you can catch your opponents. 🙄

To be fair to Drai, he's got heavy feet when they're winning too. He just waits until they're losing before he starts acting like a massive pissbaby.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Like JT. That was a good first rounder to give up for. 

Exactly.

We should be looking for undervalued players like that. Preferably ones who signed deals when the cap was lower.

I have no problem giving up another first for another Miller like player with term.

Building in free agency is where teams really get themselves into trouble.

Edited by DeNiro

31 minutes ago, Olli Juolevi said:

Yeah, it's no secret that he's a dirty player despite his talent, he's just always gotten the superstar pass

Helluva player, world class talent, but he's easily frustrated and crosses the line when he is

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, it's no secret that he's a dirty player despite his talent, he's just always gotten the superstar pass

Helluva player, world class talent, but he's easily frustrated and crosses the line when he is

I won't be the least bit surprised if we see some retribution on Thursday, and considering the way Drai's managed to skirt all discipline for his dirty streak, I won't feel bad.

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

IMHAO a superstar talent that has a meanness to his game is even better. 

2 hours ago, coho8888 said:

Arrogance extends to the Coach.  Your supposedly high end offense gets held to only one goal in 2 games and all you can say is that things would be different if they didn't hit 3 posts?  What about the chances that Florida missed on?  Wouldn't even give any credit to Florida who is clearly stifling their offense 5 on 5 and on the PP.  Is it any wonder why we hate them and their homer media?  IMHO they have nothing to be proud about.  Its taken them this long to reach the finals despite being given arguably the most talented forward in this era and 4 Number one overall picks since 2010.  Cheering for the panthers to sweep.

They have the luckiest fluke route to the cup.

Round 1: They were suppose to play Vegas, but then the unlikelyhood of Vegas losing to Anaheim combined with the Kings comeback win against the Blackhawks swap their positions in the standings and they end up playing against a team that they match up very well historically and stylistically in the Kings. I didn't expect the Kings to beat them, but I am just disappointed that the Kings didn't show more push back and do more punishing damages to the Oilers top players like the Predators did to Hughes. If the Oilers had to play Vegas, they likely would've either lost in first round or atleast won't make it out of it without their key players more banged up.

Round 2: They got to play a Canucks team with injuries to several key players. Pettersson on one knee; No Demko the entire series. Hughes banged up from those Nashville hits. By Game 7, we lost our best goal scorer to blood clot in Boeser. And yet, we still came within a goal from tying the game and potentially winning the series. And their arrogant fanbase gloat about all of it. A healthy Canucks team would've shoved them aside in 5.

Round 3: Dallas arguably is the better team and should've won the series. What I believe didn't benefit Dallas was their route to get to the Conference Final. They had to take on Vegas, which took 7 games. They then have to play a high flying Avalanche team. Dallas had a tougher route and I think they ran out of late in the series. If the Oilers were to play Dallas a round or two earlier, they wouldn't have won.

I hope they are the first team to get swept in the Stanley Cup Final since the 1998 Washington Capitals.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

You have to use a big thrust to make a hit like this / Is it intent to injure? Most likely not. I'd call this a double minor, but give Draisatl a warning.

My opinion... Drais had enough time to adjust his arm to not hit Barkovs head.  So to me there was intent and he left his skates.  Suspendible for sure and should be at least 2 games. 

Edited by Hogs and Podz
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

I think it depends on whether Barkov is coming back or not.  That's a huge blow to FLA.

My prediction is Dry-My-Saddle will get 3 games but fortunately for him, he will only have to miss two ....

image.gif.42f762ba077df232f9e0e938e39144ae.gif

1 hour ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Gotta assume no hearing for Draisaitl at this point.  Sportsnet is spinning the narrative of "iffy" reffing in last night's game and guess what:  no action on an obvious intent to injure.  It's hard not to see the collusion between the NHL front office and the media in how this corrupt bush league operate.

The NHL needs Edm to win so Mcdick wont leave the team because they will never be able to be a successful market without him

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

There's meanness and then there's being a gutless piece of shit.  Crysaitl is the latter.

30 minutes ago, Olli Juolevi said:

I won't be the least bit surprised if we see some retribution on Thursday, and considering the way Drai's managed to skirt all discipline for his dirty streak, I won't feel bad.

I would, their focus has to be on winning games, not revenge. I think that'll come down from the coaching too.

The best revenge would be winning the cup.

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I actually really like Draisaitl as a player, dirty bits aside. He's very, very hard to stop when he's on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darius said:

The suspension is certainly warranted - Soucy got a game and Mc wasnt even inured.  The other thing they have to consider is that a suspension might calm down any retribution attempts.  Florida has a bunch of players that would have no problem targeting an oiler - not just one of their plugs but McD, Bouchard, or Draisaitl.

Wouldn't mind see McD getting smacked around a bit... 

I never realised how much he likes to use the wood, either towards smaller players, or once the refs are in between him and the opponent during scrums...

About time somebody laid him out with a 'Torres" hit... 

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I would, their focus has to be on winning games, not revenge. I think that'll come down from the coaching too.

The best revenge would be winning the cup.

I actually really like Draisaitl as a player, dirty bits aside. He's very, very hard to stop when he's on.

If Barkov's out of the lineup for game 3 and maybe 4, and we see the Panthers losing late in a game? I think Sam Bennett's elbow will just happen to find Draisaitl.

Edited by Olli Juolevi
  • Like 1