[SCF] Florida Panthers (A1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Panthers in 7
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

If we want to just do the basics, it's strength down the middle,  a top to bottom solid D with a true number one defenseman, and a top ten goalie.   As the must haves. 

Agree there is no set formula, this one is as close as it gets.     Cap era, nothing like pre-cap where teams truly could load up.   Won't see a team send 10 guys to an all-star game ever again, and even that was rare (not fan voted either,  and teams didn't have to be represented). 

This is what we have now.  We just didn't have them all available in the playoffs.  We just need some better wingers, a top 6 guy for Petey, and we are pretty much done.  Problem is we don't have the cap to bring everyone back, so more holes will need to be filled from the guys we lose in free agency.  

7 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Four games in the SCF for Rome. To make sure the Canucks couldn't get him back if it went to seven. When we were crippled on our back end already.

The longest suspension in NHL SFC history was one game before Rome's.  Which was the result of a hit.....totally legal at the time....but his great sin was it was a half second late.  Four games

Today, different from 2011, there is theoretically another level of penalty for head shots. Draisaitl definitely hit the head. It had to be intentional to get his arm up like that. 

If life was fair, Draisaitl would be out for the rest of the playoffs

But nothing? Not even a fine?

This and other examples through the years in the SCF just rubs it in how we were shafted.  I still want some kind of public apology from the NHL to Canucks fans.  But we'll never get one.

The Campbell connection truly showed just how corrupt and contrived the league is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The NHL truly is the most pathetic league of the big ones. No standard or consistency when it comes to suspension or discipline. I've said it before, but eventually a move like the feckless turd Draisaitl made on Barkov will end up ending someone's career or worse, their life, and then what? 

Draisaitl is a marked man now. 

Won't be surprised if he get out of this series seriously injured. 

NHL is now just begging for a repeated of the Steve Moore incident. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, 24K said:

if FLA does that they'll lose a player for the rest of the series. It's just what will happen, it won't be fair. 

Just broom those pretenders and fly back to FLA with the cup. 

• Cheers 4

3 minutes ago, 24K said:

All they have to do is simply apply some consistency and punish abhorrent behavior. Pretty easy. Stop treating higher profile players with a different application of the rules. 

• Like 2

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

All they have to do is simply apply some consistency and punish abhorrent behavior. Pretty easy. Stop treating higher profile players with a different application of the rules. 

unfortunately thats where the NHL seems to want to go. People like Jen on the panel talk all the time about "the stars". It makes me gag, hockey is a team sport. Dunno, I can see a point in the not too distant future where the NHL becomes unwatchable for me if it turns into soccer or basketball. 

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It was, but the league doesn't want a sweep. Draiheave knows this and likely never had a concern about a suspension. 

So I'm guessing Sutherland is going to be reffing game 3 now?

Fortunately, the league already provided the list of refs for the finals and Sutherland wasn't on it.  Airlifting him in now would likely result in the league getting sued.

• Like 1

CAAAAAALLLLLMMMMMM DOOOOWWWWWN EVERYONE, m'kay .... I have full confidence in the Coilers shitting the bed even if they fielded an entire line made up of Connor MacWhiners with a second line centered by Dry-My-Bitchpad. They have Skinner and Nurse in net and playing bumper for the Panthers respectively.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Better to target Ekholm.  If he goes down, it matters little how good the two crybabies up front do.

Why not send all of Ekholm, McDiver, and Crysaitl off the ice on stretchers?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Bryan Trottier held Gretzky to zero goals in 1979-80 to lead the NY Islanders to their 4th cup in a row over the Oilers.  Gretzky says that Barkov is the new Trottier.  Florida got this one...

You wouldn’t hear anything that intelligent coming out of Gazdicks mouth.

Gretz is the bomb

Edited by PistolPete13
  • Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

unfortunately thats where the NHL seems to want to go. People like Jen on the panel talk all the time about "the stars". It makes me gag, hockey is a team sport. Dunno, I can see a point in the not too distant future where the NHL becomes unwatchable for me if it turns into soccer or basketball. 

Same. I get the idea of promoting the business side of the sport, which seems to be the overarching focus of professional sports these days. That being said, one of the great things about athletic competition is seeing the truly talented rise to the occasion.

When said sport is managed by officials and league personnel, the true essence of sport is lost, and fans begin to wonder how much of the outcome is contrived and premeditated. Once that becomes paramount, the real essence of competition is lost, and all that's left is empty spectacle. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Why not send all of Ekholm, McDiver, and Crysaitl off the ice on stretchers?

5 minute major for bringing the Zamboni on the ice

4 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

You wouldn’t hear anything that intelligent coming out of Gazdicks mouth.

Greta is the bomb

It's impressive Gazdic can talk at all while he's got his mouth full trying to do the jobs of all the Oilers wives and girlfriends.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Haha 4

27 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It was, but the league doesn't want a sweep. Draiheave knows this and likely never had a concern about a suspension. 

So I'm guessing Sutherland is going to be reffing game 3 now?

The longer the series goes, the more money and exposure the league gets. It's about more than just Draisaitl being a superstar, the league has a track record of ignoring cases where there should be discipline for the sake of profit, scoring, and what have you. It's part of why there's a double standard for higher end players, those are the players people largely go to see and they're the players who drive merchandise sales and so on. 

It's an ugly bit of the business, but it's not a particularly surprising one. The league has demonstrated time and time again that they're willing to gloss over the feedback and reactions of their consumer base. 

Edited by Coconuts

23 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is what we have now.  We just didn't have them all available in the playoffs.  We just need some better wingers, a top 6 guy for Petey, and we are pretty much done.  Problem is we don't have the cap to bring everyone back, so more holes will need to be filled from the guys we lose in free agency.  

Probably gonna have to do some of that internally going forward, which means management is going to have to keep finding ways to make savvy NHL level acquisitions and young talent, whether that be via drafting high, trades, or college/European signings. 

It's one thing to just try and acquire high end youth when you're bad, but it gets harder to do while trying to build a competitive NHL level team. Balancing trading picks vs using them to build the pipeline is a tough tightrope to walk. 

20 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

if FLA does that they'll lose a player for the rest of the series. It's just what will happen, it won't be fair. 

Just broom those pretenders and fly back to FLA with the cup. 

Yup, like I said, best revenge is winning the cup. If the Panthers run around trying to get revenge it's more likely to hurt them than help them. 

They're better served taking numbers and punishing players in a clean manner when they can. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Better to target Ekholm.  If he goes down, it matters little how good the two crybabies up front do.

Yep, Ekholm is holding the Oilers defense together. He's the best trade they've made in the past decade.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

What a corrupt fucking league.  Sports entertainment at its worst.  But if Barkov can make it back Florida still wins. 

I don’t like Edmonton and I think it was funny that the script for game 2 was clearly that Florida was to win. Every time Edmonton got some momentum the refs would call a penalty or so something to slow them down. 
 But I can’t help but think how much crying we’d be doing if it was us in the oilers shoes. 

I do think that the NHL will manipulate it to game 6 or game 7 though, afterall it is a business and every game is making 10-30,000,000. 
 I can’t cheer for Edmonton and won’t cheer for any team that doesn’t have a cup as I don’t want to be the only team left that’s cupless in 15 years. So I’m pretty checked out of this series at all, especially with last night’s game resembling the WWF. 

19 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

I don’t like Edmonton and I think it was funny that the script for game 2 was clearly that Florida was to win. Every time Edmonton got some momentum the refs would call a penalty or so something to slow them down. 
 But I can’t help but think how much crying we’d be doing if it was us in the oilers shoes. 

I do think that the NHL will manipulate it to game 6 or game 7 though, afterall it is a business and every game is making 10-30,000,000. 
 I can’t cheer for Edmonton and won’t cheer for any team that doesn’t have a cup as I don’t want to be the only team left that’s cupless in 15 years. So I’m pretty checked out of this series at all, especially with last night’s game resembling the WWF. 

Back in the 70's and 80's things happened with non calls,missed big hits and stick  infractions at least 5 times a game.The game was better hitting and more fights but they evened out threw the series.

With the instigator rule it changed.

The game is better for speed and plays but lacks the bigger hits and fights.

Only reason we see so much now is social media which is ruining the game as much as the instigator helped fix it

I don't know the answer but maybe get rid of the instigator rule and things might again work themselves out.