[SCF] Florida Panthers (A1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Panthers in 7
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

I still don't feel FLA has put together their "A" game for a full 60 minutes this series.  When it happens, you'll know.  The offence will be obvious, but the defence will show that Bob would have only had to make 2 or 3 high danger saves.  They had 1 or 2 of those games against the Rangers.  Pure dominance.

• Cheers 1

On 6/12/2024 at 8:07 AM, spook007 said:

Win game 3, and the let plugs take turns to pound Drai in game 4...

Win Game 3, build up a big lead in Game 4, and with less than 5 minutes left in the game up by 3 or more goals, goon it up on McDavid and Draisaitl. Let them pay for their price. I hope in their cup clinching game, it was a blow out so they have room for this.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I still don't feel FLA has put together their "A" game for a full 60 minutes this series.  When it happens, you'll know.  The offence will be obvious, but the defence will show that Bob would have only had to make 2 or 3 high danger saves.  They had 1 or 2 of those games against the Rangers.  Pure dominance.

I think we'll see it tonight. Edm will make a huge push in first 10 min, then FLA will just take over. FLA just needs to batten the hatches and Bob needs to make a few big saves....then Edm will coast as usual.

8 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

Win Game 3, build up a big lead in Game 4, and with less than 5 minutes left in the game up by 3 or more goals, goon it up on McDavid and Draisaitl. Let them pay for their price. I hope in their cup clinching game, it was a blow out so they have room for this.

Nah, that's loser play. Just play your game and win. Losing and watching the cup get hoisted are the things that will hurt those two the most. So close....but so far.

• Cheers 1

Tonight will be the toughest game for the Panthers. Oilers first home game of the series, with McDavid and Draisaitl been very quiet through the first 2 games, behind a pumped up Edmonton crowd, I can see the for 10-15 minutes be absolutely dominated by the Oilers in both shots and possession. If the Oilers gets 2 goals in the first 10-15 minutes of the first period, I think they might run away with this one. However, if the Panthers can keep the Oilers at bay and come away with the first period tied, then the Panthers have a real shot of having a stranglehold in this series.

It will also be tough as the Panthers had a tough travel to get to Edmonton, with the time difference and all that, it will be the biggest challenge.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Most inconsistent for 100% sure. I think coaches actually alter their game plans depending who's calling the game.

I’m curious as to what the league has threatened ownership, management, coaches and players with if they publicly express frustration or comment on the clearly bias officiating. It’s got to be more than just the risk of fines. 
It’s oddly quiet regarding some of the most dangerous and underhanded infractions. Even the media avoid the subject at times. 

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

I’m curious as to what the league has threatened ownership, management, coaches and players with if they publicly express frustration or comment on the clearly bias officiating. It’s got to be more than just the risk of fines. 
It’s oddly quiet regarding some of the most dangerous and underhanded infractions. Even the media avoid the subject at times. 

No question. Maybe some players argue in the instant, same with the coach, but they sure back-off in a hurry. Most of the media shut up so they don't

get black balled. We don't hear or see everything. I know referees will sometimes talk to a coach after a game but that's a rarity.

Honesty? I think it's fear of a strike from officials "which has happened before", League is most likely scared.

• Upvote 1

Most of my friends and people I know are shocked that I'm not rooting for the Canadian team. They all naturally assumed I'd be rooting for the Canadian team to bring the cup back to Canada. And it shocks them even more when I say, "No, I don't want Edmonton to win the cup. I want the Canucks to bring the cup back to Canada. Not them. Besides, the Oilers are a dirty team."

And then they tilt their head like a confused dog, half-smiling, not knowing what to say, slinking away, bamboozled and somewhat angry.

Go Panthers!

• Cheers 4

9 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Most of my friends and people I know are shocked that I'm not rooting for the Canadian team. They all naturally assumed I'd be rooting for the Canadian team to bring the cup back to Canada. And it shocks them even more when I say, "No, I don't want Edmonton to win the cup. I want the Canucks to bring the cup back to Canada. Not them. Besides, the Oilers are a dirty team."

And then they tilt their head like a confused dog, half-smiling, not knowing what to say, slinking away, bamboozled and somewhat angry.

Go Panthers!

I personally will never understand rooting for a team in the NHL just because they play in Canada. The NHL is not a national game, thus I don't have any national pride in it.

I hate the Oilers, always have, I can never root for them. There are 3 Canadian teams I would happily cheer for in the playoffs, Vancouver, Winnipeg and Ottawa. Montreal it would depend who they are playing. There are very select teams I would cheer for the Flames over, but the Oilers and Leafs? Give me any American team over those two.

And if the Oilers and Leafs ever played each other in the Cup final? I would try and wipe my memory of that year and pretend it never happened.

• Cheers 2

No question. Maybe some players argue in the instant, same with the coach, but they sure back-off in a hurry. Most of the media shut up so they don't

get black balled. We don't hear or see everything. I know referees will sometimes talk to a coach after a game but that's a rarity.

Honesty? I think it's fear of a strike from officials "which has happened before", League is most likely scared.

Wasn’t that long ago that coach’s would comment post game. Now rarely a word. When there is a comment it usually supports the officials in saying that it’s a “tough job”etc. Tortorella might be an exception. 

Somethings changed to try to draw less scrutiny to officials. 

Exactly. RT is one of the better coaches at understanding this. He never chooses to comment nor make directed comments. A few subtle digs, but nothing that could get him red circled.

I think this spawns from his days as a player; learned to keep your mouth shut OR every marginal call will go against you. With how he played, it was survival to learn this. Having a coach that played at a high level and long career in the NHL is very beneficial. They already have the relationships and understanding of "how it works". Travis Green had that too, he just didn't have the whiskers in a coaching role in the NHL yet. I expect him to do quite well in Ottawa on this go around.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Barnstorm said:

Wasn’t that long ago that coach’s would comment post game. Now rarely a word. When there is a comment it usually supports the officials in saying that it’s a “tough job”etc. Tortorella might be an exception. 

Somethings changed to try to draw less scrutiny to officials. 

Or old Weirdo Woodcrofts post games...."The best player in the world told me he saw it....who do you trust? The best player in the world or an official...I know who I would"🤣

6 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

I personally will never understand rooting for a team in the NHL just because they play in Canada. The NHL is not a national game, thus I don't have any national pride in it.

I hate the Oilers, always have, I can never root for them. There are 3 Canadian teams I would happily cheer for in the playoffs, Vancouver, Winnipeg and Ottawa. Montreal it would depend who they are playing. There are very select teams I would cheer for the Flames over, but the Oilers and Leafs? Give me any American team over those two.

And if the Oilers and Leafs ever played each other in the Cup final? I would try and wipe my memory of that year and pretend it never happened.

Yeah, I'm similar to where you're at with it all. Happy to root for Winnipeg and Ottawa. No bones of contention there at all.

I'm originally from the east coast and after 2011, seeing the disdain people had for the Canucks across the country, I jumped off the Canadian team stance thing. Even if I could bring myself to root for Montreal or Toronto, I'd never let any of my eastern friends know or give them the satisfaction. Especially knowing the "Canadian team" thing wouldn't apply if the Canucks were in the final.

At least the Oilers are getting beat up and in this series.

12 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I dunno, personally I'd love to see McDiver and Crysaitl get what they have coming to them.

Watching Soucy and Zadorov turn McDavid into origami with the double cross-check was one of the greatest hockey moments I can remember. 

• Like 2