[SCF] Florida Panthers (A1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Panthers in 7
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

8 hours ago, RJCF96 said:

Very fair assessment.

I agree that Kopitar playing in the Kings system the majority of his career hurts his offensive points total. He did have a career high of 92 points one season.

Bergeron just wins the Selke on a regular basis that they really should just rename it to the Bergeron trophy one day.

There is one guy I didn’t include in my initial post (because he hadn’t played in the NHL for a while and I almost forgot about him), and that’s Pavel Datsyuk.

Prime Datsyuk to me is probably the best of them all.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did rename it to the Bergeron at some point tbh. 

I'm a big Kopitar fan, dude has been a bit of a unicorn throughout his career, funnily enough the closest thing to him right now probably is Barkov. Even at 36 he was still doing his thing this season and hit 70 points in 81 games. Wish he'd had the career he's had for the Kings for us. 

Bergeron was something special. 

Datsyuk too, he may very well have been the best of the bunch, likely had the most amount of natural, offensive skill. The only knock on Datsyuk was probably health, but that was moreso in the latter half of his career. 

10 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Safe to say I think Corey Perry is playing his final game with a contender... I think some bottom feeder might still bring him in as an experienced vet, but Corey Perry is basically the human version of the Conference trophies now.  Nobody is gonna get near him anymore.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they did rename it to the Bergeron at some point tbh. 

I'm a big Kopitar fan, dude has been a bit of a unicorn throughout his career, funnily enough the closest thing to him right now probably is Barkov. Even at 36 he was still doing his thing this season and hit 70 points in 81 games. Wish he'd had the career he's had for the Kings for us. 

Bergeron was something special. 

Datsyuk too, he may very well have been the best of the bunch, likely had the most amount of natural, offensive skill. The only knock on Datsyuk was probably health, but that was moreso in the latter half of his career. 

Two other incredible defensive forwards with serious offensive pedigree were also Detroit greats:  Fedorov and Yzerman.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, LunarPoetry said:

Hrudey - "Edmonton still has a big Hope" WTF is going on here??? Even Bieka said similar. Does Edmonton own Sportsnet?

Didn't Edmonton sign an 11 year extension to broadcast regional games for Edmonton?

https://edmonton.citynews.ca/2024/06/07/sportsnet-oilers-announce-11-year-partnership-extension/

So basically yes.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

11 hours ago, CanuckDownUnder said:

Would his name go on the cup if they win? Hope so.

9 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Do Special Advisors get their name on the cup?

Cup Ring is probably yes. Not so sure they name everyone in Hockey Ops. Hoist it, hope so.

https://www.nhl.com/panthers/team/hockeyops

I know teams can petition to get player names on the cup, don't see why that wouldn't extend to staff, considering what Luongo has done throughout his career as a Panther it'd be more surprising if his name didn't end up on the cup imo 

I don't think anyone would argue with it if the Panthers requested it 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Two other incredible defensive forwards with serious offensive pedigree were also Detroit greats:  Fedorov and Yzerman.

True enough

1 hour ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Well, even though he was born and raised in Finland, but his parents are russian, and knowing those families, I'm pretty sure his "native language" is still russian 🙂 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I was slammed on Youtube saying both the Leafs and Oilers are not built right. That they need a solid foundation of defence and goaltending.

And building from the forwards back is an odd strategy.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I was slammed on Youtube saying both the Leafs and Oilers are not built right. That they need a solid foundation of defence and goaltending.

They're gonna have to do something

At this rate they're going to be the first Canadian team to be swept in the final since they were swept in the 1983 final 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

The team with no excuses, desperately looking for excuses. 

I want this done on Saturday so we can get going making our team better. 

Make no mistake about it, Allvin is gonna have alot of pressure building on the success they had this year. We can't take step back. There's a good chance all of our UFAs walk away come July 1. 

1st priority finding that top player to play with Petey

2nd priority solidify our 4th line

1 minute ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Make no mistake about it, Allvin is gonna have alot of pressure building on the success they had this year. We can't take step back. There's a good chance all of our UFAs walk away come July 1. 

1st priority finding that top player to play with Petey

2nd priority solidify our 4th line

I think the defence is just as important if we are potentially losing Hronek and Zadorov..  I really wonder if we are able to scoop up Tanev on a decent deal.. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

The only way it could be more incestuous is if McDivey married into the Rogers family.

And then someone pulls a Roose Bolton and says : The Rogers send their regards " 

• ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

They're gonna have to do something

At this rate they're going to be the first Canadian team to be swept in the final since they were swept in the 1983 final 

And they will spin it as history repeating and multiple cups await. 

• Haha 1

The only two Edmonton players I have sympathy for is RNH, and Ekholm. Both are in their 30's and both probably know this is their best chance at a title.

The fact the RNH had to put up with years of mismanagement of the Oilers and he's still loyal to them. Yikes.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

I think the defence is just as important if we are potentially losing Hronek and Zadorov..  I really wonder if we are able to scoop up Tanev on a decent deal.. 

Absolutely I agree, question is where do you start. Do you want to score more goals or try to defend a 1 goal lead. I also thought I heard RT wants to play different style next season 

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

And they will spin it as history repeating and multiple cups await. 

Probably, but they'll still have been swept on home ice in the final 

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Honestly, deep down I think most of us realize it, but if the Oilers and/or Leafs get their act together and build up a solid goaltending/defence core while sacrificing a bit on the top end of forwards, they could both be serious, serious Cup contenders.  The Oilers in particular are probably 1 elite goalie and 1 more true top 4 defenceman from winning a Cup given they have guys that are on really good value deals:  RNH and Hyman.

Not really fond of figuring things out for EDM, but what I'd do:

- Buyout Jack Campbell cuz nobody is taking on that contract for that kinda goaltending (savings of $3.9M, $2.7M, and $2.4M for the next 3 years).

- Trade Evander Kane (savings of $5.125M)

- Trade Ceci for a bag of pucks (savings of $3.25M)

- Bring back Desharnais for the bottom pair

That's $12.275M right there.  Go out and grab one of the top RHD UFA defencemen in this year's market (Matt Roy? Pesce? DeMelo?)  Then trade for a legitimate top goaltender... lots on the market this offseason (Gibson? Ullmark?).

Their group looks like this then:

Ekholm-Bouchard

Nurse-Pesce (Pesce or Roy or Demelo would probably cover for Nurse's screwups... Tanev is another guy that could fit the bill here.  They need to babysit Nurse)

Kulak-Desharnais

Gibson

Skinner

That group above will probably carry them to another deep run if not a Cup, as long as they don't overplay McWhiney and Crysaitl again.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2