[SCF] Florida Panthers (A1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Panthers in 7
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

While it's fun to dunk on the OIlers, it really isn't just a McDavid and Draisaitl thing. The Panthers have been smothering high end offensive players all playoffs long.

PvWvV99.png

Well, in that case, to be fair ...

It's also fun to dunk on the Rangers, Bruins, Lightning! 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

The problem is cap, and we need to look at realistic #s (unlike the Edm fans):

- Draisatl is going to want 14m+ LT on his next contract...and someone will give him that

- McD will be 16-17m LT

- Bouchard: Either do a 2/3 yr bridge at 8/9m OR want 10m+ LT

So, in just a couple years, the oilers will be paying ~49m for the above 3 plus Nurse LT. You can't maintain the same team they have nor make improvements with those #s.

In sports, you need to manage your assets; both talent and value. Trading Draisatl removes some talent, but offers the best value overall to improve the team (strive to play like FLA or LVGKs) and set them up for success LT. 

I don't disagree with your assessment of probable numbers.

We're seeing right now, the problem with eating up too much cap space on 2 or 3 guys. It leaves you without room to build around them.

This is likely the biggest reason why Toronto hasn't made it to the final in the last few years, they are top heavy as well. Look at the depth Florida has right now, they are scoring across their lineup.

Players need to make decisions on what's most important to them. Do they want the maximum dollars they can get on their contract or do they want a chance to compete for the Cup?

49 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I don't disagree with your assessment of probable numbers.

We're seeing right now, the problem with eating up too much cap space on 2 or 3 guys. It leaves you without room to build around them.

This is likely the biggest reason why Toronto hasn't made it to the final in the last few years, they are top heavy as well. Look at the depth Florida has right now, they are scoring across their lineup.

Players need to make decisions on what's most important to them. Do they want the maximum dollars they can get on their contract or do they want a chance to compete for the Cup?

I think the $$ is the most important to all players, as their careers are only so long. No one takes a hometown discount... they just sign for longer so may give that impression. The key is having the a top shelf organization and structure where you can attract the blue collar guys (mid 6) when they have a lot of option OR the deciding factor when going all in on a stud FA. A guy that comes to mind is Rodriguez on FLA.

With that in mind, its constructing a team of guys that will give it their all to get the cup. You can't have any passengers, no even for a game, if you want to win. Edm has passengers...we had passengers....Dallas had passengers; FLA has NONE!

• Cheers 2

48 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

They were dead before the ship even sank.

Watching and listening to Skinner post game it’s like he knew long ago they had no business getting where they did. They were on a joy ride and he knew the car would crap out eventually. Not much heat on him either as no one expected to score is getting it done.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, BC_Hawk said:

I think the $$ is the most important to all players, as their careers are only so long. No one takes a hometown discount... they just sign for longer so may give that impression. The key is having the a top shelf organization and structure where you can attract the blue collar guys (mid 6) when they have a lot of option OR the deciding factor when going all in on a stud FA. A guy that comes to mind is Rodriguez on FLA.

With that in mind, its constructing a team of guys that will give it their all to get the cup. You can't have any passengers, no even for a game, if you want to win. Edm has passengers...we had passengers....Dallas had passengers; FLA has NONE!

Need useless Mikheyev off the team!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

We had a good series with them.   Things that rivalries start from, as long as we can keep going at it together (have to be a good team to go there).   Don't remember a superstar as unlikeable as McDavid.    Draisatl isn't so great either.    Funny how we all hate Messier, don't remember him being so classless though.    What he said after they won against us was a huge compliment.    Maybe the media wasn't close to as an industry back then or worse memories would be had.     This current EDM team is tough to take seriously.   Like  Vegans who fart 7 times more then normal people. 

take 5 minutes and search youtube for Messier cheapshots.

I vividly remember him throwing a on purpose elbow right to Linden's head after the whistle, no where near the puck. That was part of Jim Robson's famous line " He'll play, you know he'll play " 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bob Long said:

watching the oilers and shill Rogers media meltdown is pretty funny, but I suppose when the major sponsor's name is on the building, owns the broadcast rights, and pays McDiver millions endorsements, this complete flub has to be confusing. 

Has anyone checked in on Luke?

He doing ok?

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He has less of a chance to win a cup in Toronto.  I mean if he goes there then Matthews is probably gone.

To make this a reality there's no question Matthews will need to go. Thinking McDick believes he can make the Leafs a winner 60 years after their last cup.  

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Fan Abroad said:

My point was not about that. My point was that Mathews plays for the regular season and disappears in the playoffs. He has no heart to win the Stanley Cup. He wants a long career. 

It is hard to know what is in a players mind. It may be that he knows that no matter how hard he plays, the team he is on isn't going to win. That makes it tough to be motivated. I wonder if he was on a contender, if he'd play differently.

53 minutes ago, Reg said:

To make this a reality there's no question Matthews will need to go. Thinking McDick believes he can make the Leafs a winner 60 years after their last cup.  

Matthews is a better complete player than McWiner Baby. 

• ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Matthews is a better complete player than McWiner Baby. 

I hear you Alf. My thinking is Matthews as an American player will want to go state-side, and McDick will want to go home to TO.

• ThereItIs 1