[SCF] Florida Panthers (A1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Panthers in 7
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

22 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

I just learned something. #97 doesn’t care about winning the Smythe trophy. It wasn’t reported anywhere. He might have had his reasons for not coming out to accept the trophy, but it seems unlikely that he doesn’t give a shit about it.

I’m sure that the many Oiler fans in the building, and maybe even some of the locals would have applauded Connor for his performance in the playoffs.  

NHL.com got it right ....

Conn Smythe Trophy Winners

😉

Just now, DeNiro said:

The problem I have with the Oilers and more notably the media coverage of them is that they put McDavid above the team and the game. Like it’s not the Oilers, it’s McDavid and the Oilers.

No player is bigger than the sport. And they’re trying so desperately to make him a Tom Brady or Lebron James. That’s not what hockey is about. You wanna cheer for individuals go watch tennis or golf.

And stop trying to write his legacy before it’s made. Constantly asking will he go down as the greatest player ever? Not if he doesn’t win a cup. He can win as many individual accolades as he wants, he won’t be the best if he can’t lead his team all the way. Stop trying to force a narrative that hasn’t been written.

I just can’t take sports fans seriously that cheer for individual star players. Isn’t that something you grow out of as a kid?

absolutely agree, and I actually feel bad for the guy because he seems to try his best to knock down that narrative but the hockey public won't let him. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

but it does make sense, to them, as much as your stand does to you. I think he showed a lack of leadership and professionalism as many other do, you don't. Continuing to debate it isn't going to change anyones mind. 

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952bda0d6a772xl7wonfv2

:hurhur:

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, tas said:

absolutely agree, and I actually feel bad for the guy because he seems to try his best to knock down that narrative but the hockey public won't let him. 

Maybe if he fixed the character issues and started acting like a real man, the hockey public would be more forgiving.  

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Damn, this really mattered to you. 

Let's look at it this way, say it was Kesler in 2011  instead of Mcbaby. You think anyone would give him a pass? 

Let's bring it to the present time.  If it was JT, he would be praised by the fans for showing that the

team loss was more important than an individual award.  As a matter of fact, I can see JT reacting

the same way as McD.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The problem I have with the Oilers and more notably the media coverage of them is that they put McDavid above the team and the game. Like it’s not the Oilers, it’s McDavid and the Oilers.

No player is bigger than the sport. And they’re trying so desperately to make him a Tom Brady or Lebron James. That’s not what hockey is about. You wanna cheer for individuals go watch tennis or golf.

And stop trying to write his legacy before it’s made. Constantly asking will he go down as the greatest player ever? Not if he doesn’t win a cup. He can win as many individual accolades as he wants, he won’t be the best if he can’t lead his team all the way. Stop trying to force a narrative that hasn’t been written.

I just can’t take sports fans seriously that cheer for individual star players. Isn’t that something you grow out of as a kid?

Thats true

Its so over the top.  In fact, its kind of amusing to hear them push the narrative of a one person team, THE BEST PLAYER, AND A CANADIAN, ON THE PLANET!.... and then have to fit that pesky Draisaitl in there.  A player who'd be a the star forward on any other team.  Its amusing because its like having to perform an annoying chore to add his name in there too.  You can see it in their faces and in their tone when they add the quiet ...."and Draisaitl" part.  He muddies up the 'one man team' narrative they have created to describe the team

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Just curious, did you watch Giguere accept the trophy?    Remember that well, had no desire to pick it up and give it to a trainer on the bench but did it anyways.   Sportsmanship.   It wasn't a shower of boo's.  It was a few here and there.    Actually this is the first time I haven't seen Bettman get any (after decades of vigoursly booing), never stopped him from doing his job.   100 Oil fans approx chartered a plane to go watch (plus others i'm sure); what about those fans?   McDavid remains a polarizing superstar.   Perimeter one.  Press made a big deal of his points per playoff game and "same territory as Gretzky and Mario", but not really.   25 games played not 18.   And broke the "-assists" record again in 7 more games.  

Get that maybe he thinks he did the right thing,  he certainly did not.   All he had to do, was go get a few photos and skate away.   Wouldn't give his  fans that.   Gretzky's 92-93 performance was better.   So was Sakics in 95-96.   

I think he definitely did the right thing. 

• Wiener 2

11 hours ago, Trebreh said:

that dude is an AI robot. 

To be fair, Knoby did a tremendous job bringing the Oilers from a bottom feeding team to game 7

of the SC final.  Not bad for his first time as an NHL coach.  Credit is due.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yesterday evening was the most fun I've had watching hockey in a while, I got to be an absolute hater the entire time and got exactly the result I wanted on hockey's biggest stage

Was an absolute joy to watch that final game 

100% That was awesome!

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Let's bring it to the present time.  If it was JT, he would be praised by the fans for showing that the

team loss was more important than an individual award.  As a matter of fact, I can see JT reacting

the same way as McD.

I'd be embarrassed if Miller did that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Just curious, did you watch Giguere accept the trophy?    Remember that well, had no desire to pick it up and give it to a trainer on the bench but did it anyways.   Sportsmanship.   It wasn't a shower of boo's.  It was a few here and there.    Actually this is the first time I haven't seen Bettman get any (after decades of vigoursly booing), never stopped him from doing his job.   100 Oil fans approx chartered a plane to go watch (plus others i'm sure); what about those fans?   McDavid remains a polarizing superstar.   Perimeter one.  Press made a big deal of his points per playoff game and "same territory as Gretzky and Mario", but not really.   25 games played not 18.   And broke the "-assists" record again in 7 more games.  

Get that maybe he thinks he did the right thing,  he certainly did not.   All he had to do, was go get a few photos and skate away.   Wouldn't give his  fans that.   Gretzky's 92-93 performance was better.   So was Sakics in 95-96.    So was Gretzky's losing 82-83.   The media really pumped this one up.    Plus 12 whoopie.    Didn't see anything amazing other than special teams. 

Gretzky would have  won the Conn Smythe in 1993 had LA not choked out. He had 40 points as a 32 year old. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Heretic said:

He's not in elementary school - give yourself a shake, or better yet a slap in the face with a wet fish.

I would think less of any canuck that went out there under the same circumstances. 

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Gretzky would have  won the Conn Smythe in 1993 had LA not choked out. He had 40 points as a 32 year old. 

Yes he would have.   They were a few minutes away from been up 2-0.   And they were all over Roy in that series, the better team.   And that says a lot because it was by far the best of all 3 of Roy's much deserved Conn Smythe.   10 OT wins.   That's never going to happen again.   Watched every single game in 92-93.   Canucks gave LA a run for their money too.   TO was arguably a better team.   Gretzky got them to the final.    McDavid isn't close to as good as Gretzky and Mario.   Sakic, i know who'd Id prefer on my team.   

So McDavid and his 8 goals and perimeter play can go suck some eggs.   He'd be absolutely murdered in the 80-90's. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, tas said:

I would think less of any canuck that went out there under the same circumstances. 

Tocchet would.  It's called respect and sportsmanship. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, tas said:

I think he definitely did the right thing. 

I don't know if it was the "right" thing to do. 

But it was an understandable thing.  From a human point of view.  I get the hundred other reasons to despise him and his team.

And that from a professional NHL hockey player point of view he should have sucked it up and gone out there.

But there is definitely an argument to be made, especially taking in to consideration DeNiro's point about McD already being promoted as being above his team, and the game itself, by media, he didn't want to leave the room to go out and once again be singled out and praised as an individual, just as the whole team was experiencing shock and pain like that.  Folks here get that don't they?

I can see both points of view.

In the end  who cares?  The main thing is they LOST!  hahahahahahahaha!  Its a good day!

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Tocchet would.  It's called respect and sportsmanship. 

I thought the conn smythe was awarded to players?

3 minutes ago, tas said:

I thought the conn smythe was awarded to players?

Tochett would have made sure our player went and took some photos.  

Edit:  It's not a huge deal, McDavid should have done the honourable thing.   He didn't.   He's human.   Made a mistake.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1