[SCF] Florida Panthers (A1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Panthers in 7
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

6 minutes ago, Darius said:

Funny seeing so many oiler fans blaming Skinner on Twitter and on HFBoards when the problem is right there.  

Florida has done a masterful job at shutting them all down.  Bob is also on a historic run.

Agree on both of those points but Skinner has been awful in this series.

Does Edmonton run this team back next year? I think not but they have only $10M in cap space with 14 players signed. Jack "Albatross" Campbell's cap hit will kill them. Mik will be a lot easier to move than JC. Dry-my-Bitchpad most likely won't sign an extension at least not until he sees "improvement" around him. Will be an interesting summer for the Coilers for sure.

I present to you the Starting Goalies for the 2024 - 2025 Edmonton Coilers

image.thumb.png.12dc1788fd4817f22e74e7cccb890f90.png

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Does Edmonton run this team back next year? I think not but they have only $10M in cap space with 14 players signed. Jack "Albatross" Campbell's cap hit will kill them. Mik will be a lot easier to move than JC. Dry-my-Bitchpad most likely won't sign an extension at least not until he sees "improvement" around him. Will be an interesting summer for the Coilers for sure.

Campbell was a fatal mistake that I don’t think they’ll recover from.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

That Campbell and Nurse contract is killing them..Skinner is a back up, They will need a much better goalie if they are serious about a cup.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Watch them spend $8 million on Markstrom.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Watch them spend $8 million on Markstrom.

Markstrom did pop into my head with Soup Cans going back the other way with a hell of a sweetener attached. Would have to convince Marky to waive his NMC to move to the thriving metropolis of Edmonton

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

They have $3.55 million in carry over bonues on the books for next season because of Connor Brown, and Brown is not even going to be on the team next season.  Talk about brutal cap mismanagement.  There is no possible way they can sign 9 more guys with only $10 million in cap space unless they sign 9 players to minimum contracts, which is not going to improve their team.

Remember when McDavid and Draisaitl said cup or bust last year?  It was because they knew this year was their final shot together.  Most likely they will trade Draisaitl in the summer so they don't lose him for nothing.  They will then have to retool under McDavid and wait for some bad contracts to come off the books before they can acquire any more top talent.  I would say they will be retooling for 2-3 years before they can be cup challengers again.  And that is if McDavid can sustain his level of play without Draisaitl. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They have $3.55 million in carry over bonues on the books for next season because of Connor Brown, and Brown is not even going to be on the team next season.  Talk about brutal cap mismanagement.  There is no possible way they can sign 9 more guys with only $10 million in cap space unless they sign 9 players to minimum contracts, which is not going to improve their team.

Remember when McDavid and Draisaitl said cup or bust last year?  It was because they knew this year was their final shot together.  Most likely they will trade Draisaitl in the summer so they don't lose him for nothing.  They will then have to retool under McDavid and wait for some bad contracts to come off the books before they can acquire any more top talent.  I would say they will be retooling for 2-3 years before they can be cup challengers again.  And that is if McDavid can sustain his level of play without Draisaitl. 

WOW, I didn't realize it was that bad for the Coilers. Connor Brown has Performance Bonuses of $3,225,000 according to Cap Friendly. With 71GP 4 8 for 12 points, what were the Performance Bonuses he hit.

Ya, no way they can improve the team without mortgaging the future to offload some bad contracts (Nurse maybe, JC for sure). Even then they run the risk of Dry-my-Saddle refusing to sign an extension and just playing out his contract before walking out the door. Moving Soup Cans will really only gain them about 1,500,000 in Cap Space giving $11.5M to sign 9 players and 1 good goalie. Even if Marky agreed to waive his NMC to move to Edmonton, that is $6M right there unless Calgary retained.

No wonder Holland has his bags packed and car idling in the parking lot already.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I didn't see the 4 the goal tonight, but the first 3 weren't on Skinner. Great plays by Florida combined with defensive brain-farts.

Skinner has actually been decent this series. It's just a complete no-show by Edmonton's top guys. Crazy if that ends up their undoing.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

To Calgary:

Dylan Holloway

2025 1st round pick

Jack Campbell

To Edmonton:

Jacob Markstrom

Unless they're in a position to compete for the cup next season I'd take a pass on Marky and keep the 1st..He's going to be 35 in Jan. Unless they can pull a rabbit out of a hat I don't see how this team improves with 10 mill to spend..and sure you get rid of Drai maybe even to free up money but that's a lot of pts to re-place. That bottom 6 and D need major upgrades. 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

That's a tough one, I think Bergeron and Kopitar are probably better offensively than their numbers have indicated over the years

Kopitar in particular, offense hasn't usually been the King's bread and butter and he's still led them in points most seasons 

Barkov's put up better offensive numbers but I dunno, prime Kopitar was a two-way monster, Bergeron's arguably the best two-way guy ever

Kopitar's also the only guy with more than one cup, and if not for Bergeron he'd probably have more than two Selke's, he should have also been a Conn Smythe winner

As of right now I'd take either prime Bergeron or Kopitar over Barkov though

Very fair assessment.

I agree that Kopitar playing in the Kings system the majority of his career hurts his offensive points total. He did have a career high of 92 points one season.

Bergeron just wins the Selke on a regular basis that they really should just rename it to the Bergeron trophy one day.

There is one guy I didn’t include in my initial post (because he hadn’t played in the NHL for a while and I almost forgot about him), and that’s Pavel Datsyuk.

Prime Datsyuk to me is probably the best of them all.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1