[SCF] Florida Panthers (A1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Panthers in 7
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

Damn we really should have beaten this team, I think credit to Barkov but really this is top tier 5 man unit coaching so I hope Tocchet is taking notes because we do play quite similarly to Florida. One big thing I've noticed is that their defence aren't as big as one would expect but they all skate well and move the puck so quickly up ice and evade the pressure so well. Maybe we'll turn to this sort of D next year?

The other possibility is that the Edmonton stars are just worn out, they've been ridden hard.

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

I didn't see the 4 the goal tonight, but the first 3 weren't on Skinner. Great plays by Florida combined with defensive brain-farts.

Skinner has actually been decent this series. It's just a complete no-show by Edmonton's top guys. Crazy if that ends up their undoing.

the one where Skinner fumbled it behind his net wasn’t his fault?

3 hours ago, D-Money said:

I didn't see the 4 the goal tonight, but the first 3 weren't on Skinner. Great plays by Florida combined with defensive brain-farts.

Skinner has actually been decent this series. It's just a complete no-show by Edmonton's top guys. Crazy if that ends up their undoing.

if that last minute rebound kick save bobrovsky made had gone in, it wouldn't have been his fault. but it didn't. he made the save. 

in the playoffs, you need your goalie to make some saves he's not supposed to. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Damn we really should have beaten this team, I think credit to Barkov but really this is top tier 5 man unit coaching so I hope Tocchet is taking notes because we do play quite similarly to Florida. One big thing I've noticed is that their defence aren't as big as one would expect but they all skate well and move the puck so quickly up ice and evade the pressure so well. Maybe we'll turn to this sort of D next year?

The other possibility is that the Edmonton stars are just worn out, they've been ridden hard.

yes, I maintain still the canucks were best team in the west. wish they could have dug just a bit deeper. 

the oilers are I think the worst team I've seen make the finals in a long time. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

McDavid is this era’s Dionne. Puts up grotesque amounts of points and fun as hell attacking with puck on stick. But is never going to be a Cup winner. 

Dionne was a better player, actually attacked the middle of the ice,  went to the net, and scored a pile of goals on bad to mediocre teams.   Circumstance's kept a cup away.    If he played on MTL (drafted instead)  "I would have scored 1000 goals on that team", don't doubt it for a second either.     He could still play if he wanted to but retired.   It's too bad he didn't stick around for Gretzky,  it's not like the NYR were a powerhouse (final contract).    I'm certain he could of played a couple more seasons if he wanted to, old timer's game with very good players who just retired, and Lafluer, he was dusting them 8-2 a period, against guys 10 years younger (35-38) ... Lafluer was supposed to be the main draw,   The Beaver was so much better.   Just like the 70's, Lafluer won all the hardware,  Dionne had a better game, was a right shot center but was the bridesmaid.   Actually it dishoner's Dionne to compare him to McDavid.   Maybe Hawerchuk instead. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, CanuckDownUnder said:

Matthews is arguably one of the most talented goal scorers in a very long time. McD is fast and skilled but not the same level in terms of scoring imo.

My point was not about that. My point was that Mathews plays for the regular season and disappears in the playoffs. He has no heart to win the Stanley Cup. He wants a long career. 

• ThereItIs 1

15 minutes ago, Fan Abroad said:

My point was not about that. My point was that Mathews plays for the regular season and disappears in the playoffs. He has no heart to win the Stanley Cup. He wants a long career. 

Until these guys are willing to do whatever it takes, and go to the tougher areas often, they won't win a cup.    Linden.  Gelinas.   Bure.   Courtnall, Adams ... they all went to the net into the middle of the ice, even Ronning.     Sure play the regular season the way you need to, to keep the body ready.    Mathews has the size so that's a little shameful, and to be fair, he's figured this out but now his team has lost their cap ability to provide proper support.    McDavid is smart like Gretzky and Bobby Clark, he's aware that his body likely will face serious abuse if he plays like Linden and Gelinas, willing to crash the net.   Both Gretzky and Clark learned what was needed to push through, maybe McDavid will too.  

Gretzky learned a valuable lesson after their brooming.    He's a stand up character guy overly modest.   "When we walked by their room, they were quietly celebrating, so gassed they left nothing in the tank" (NYI).   The following season that changed.  

Current Oilers aren't perfect.   Goaltending is a problem.   So is their superstars behaviour (trying to draw penalties is fine, not the way they go about it though),  and Florida is exposing that.    

Barkov, he's the backbone of that team, and is shutting them down, and he's also winning Florida games on the scoreboard at the same time.   The Conn Smythe 100% is his to lose.    About as a perfect a hockey player as you could ask for.   Reminds me of John Tonelli, minus the sandpaper.   Just a superb two-way force.   

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Until these guys are willing to do whatever it takes, and go to the tougher areas often, they won't win a cup.    Linden.  Gelinas.   Bure.   Courtnall, Adams ... they all went to the net into the middle of the ice, even Ronning.     Sure play the regular season the way you need to, to keep the body ready.    Mathews has the size so that's a little shameful, and to be fair, he's figured this out but now his team has lost their cap ability to provide proper support.    McDavid is smart like Gretzky and Bobby Clark, he's aware that his body likely will face serious abuse if he plays like Linden and Gelinas, willing to crash the net.   Both Gretzky and Clark learned what was needed to push through, maybe McDavid will too.  

Gretzky learned a valuable lesson after their brooming.    He's a stand up character guy overly modest.   "When we walked by their room, they were quietly celebrating, so gassed they left nothing in the tank" (NYI).   The following season that changed.  

Current Oilers aren't perfect.   Goaltending is a problem.   So is their superstars behaviour (trying to draw penalties is fine, not the way they go about it though),  and Florida is exposing that.    

Barkov, he's the backbone of that team, and is shutting them down, and he's also winning Florida games on the scoreboard at the same time.   The Conn Smythe 100% is his to lose.    About as a perfect a hockey player as you could ask for.   Reminds me of John Tonelli, minus the sandpaper.   Just a superb two-way force.   

Barkov reminds me of prime Messier.  Gretzky said he was like Trottier, which is true.  But Messier was an even bigger force than Trottier to be honest.  People in Vancouver hate him for what he did here, but he was one of my favourite players when he played for Edmonton.  I mean imagine having Gretzky added to this Florida team?  That's how the Oilers were in the 1980's.  That's why they won 4 cups and could have won 8 or 9 if they had stuck together...

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Snoop Hogg said:

I hate them so much I’d root for them to lose to the Leafs, Habs and Flames. 

Was thinking the other day that I despise the Leafs and Flames. So gotta say I'm right there with you. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Rekker said:

Was thinking the other day that I despise the Leafs and Flames. So gotta say I'm right there with you. 

Yup. Hate ‘em all, especially the other Canadian clubs. 

• Cheers 2

36 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Barkov reminds me of prime Messier.  Gretzky said he was like Trottier, which is true.  But Messier was an even bigger force than Trottier to be honest.  People in Vancouver hate him for what he did here, but he was one of my favourite players when he played for Edmonton.  I mean imagine having Gretzky added to this Florida team?  That's how the Oilers were in the 1980's.  That's why they won 4 cups and could have won 8 or 9 if they had stuck together...

Messier was a level up from Barkov.   Barkov does have his strength, doesn't have the same wheels (Messier was faster) or the same cross-check your teeth out meanness to his game.    I also loved Messier in EDM, watched every single game of the 1989-1990 final cup.   They didn't have close to the same wealth of players,  they did have experience and enough left, and Ranford played out of his mind (much deserving Conn Smythe).    Also didn't mind Messier at all on  the NYR's when he was gathering hardware outside of Gretzky's shadow.    He was an absolute beast for them.   Until we played them and was it 9?  Can't remember, ex-Oilers well past their primes but still doing their thing.    Cut pretty deep losing to them.   Lowe,  Anderson .. was kind of ridiculous really, how many trades they made that year, despite being first in both special teams and first in the league.   They traded some very good players, to go for guys who's won and knew what it took. 

Messier isn't a bad comp for today minus the pugilence and nasty.   Both guys were/are bulls.     Don't see the same speed from Barkov though, or that shot,  Messier's one legged kick-off like he was starting a harley, top corner ... ok well we did see that last  night so good call.    Moose was Howe re-incarnated playing the center spot.    On the wing instead,  believe he'd of scored even more goals. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Panthers almost lost this game.

Was tense for a bit. Those couple quick goal, somewhat fortunate for the Oilers, would of rattled many a team. To me, Florida just showed how resilient they are to keep it 4 - 3 and not panic. I think that bit of adversity is going to make the Panthers even stronger.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Gretzky is probably right in using Trottier as a comp.    

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

I admire the Panther d-side game. Their puck support is spot on almost all the time. Very little gambling positionally versus the Oilers who do. The puck fluttered on Nurse in the 2nd and Florida converted. Game over. 

Paul Maurice should be getting lots of kudos. He packed it in with the Jets which was a serious condemnation of the roster there. He knew what he wanted in personnel and decided the Panthers had it. Conversely look at the Oilers. I simply cannot see Holland being back. The CAP will force serious player movement, possible Draisaital. What Oiler coach will have the support to reign in the forward group there who are structured for regular season play and not CUP play. I expect big changes in Oiler country.  

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Don't despise the Flames.   Respect their 89 team and a grateful for that rivalry.    They had to still do the Battle of Alberta for a bit, yet had plenty left in the tank for us to take over that spot for EDM.   89-95 or so was something.    Best rivalry i've seen the Canucks have and it's not really even close.      Then we had another mini one in the 2000's with Iginla and Kipper.    And one with CHI not much later.    Can respect the players on those teams after all these years, although I hated it when Sandman had Linden turtled and he was taking free shots at his kidneys.    CHI rivalry was kid stuff in comparison, to the hate and battle level of the sport back then (Theo Fluery is right, it was "all out war" the way the games used to be played).   Same thing Coffey says about it too.   Games tame nowadays, players say hi during the warmups all the time. 

WNP versus Canucks in the 90's was also a major level up.    It takes some playoff reps, really though, how many fights did we see against CHI?   Some cheep shots for sure (Keith), it was tamer though.   We didn't have half the team in the box icing their knuckles, which seemed like a regular occurrence verus CAL, and WNP.    EDM was done.    We stepped in and up to keep things going.  Not a big fan of CHI, not because of the rivalry, that was great, because of them not doing the right thing.    Cup at  "all costs".    The things they put that Beech  through were pretty disgusting (players teasing him was part of that).  

Edited by IBatch

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Don't despise the Flames.   Respect their 89 team and a grateful for that rivalry.    They had to still do the Battle of Alberta for a bit, yet had plenty left in the tank for us to take over that spot for EDM.   89-95 or so was something.    Best rivalry i've seen the Canucks have and it's not really even close.      Then we had another mini one in the 2000's with Iginla and Kipper.    And one with CHI not much later.    Can respect the players on those teams after all these years, although I hated it when Sandman had Linden turtled and he was taking free shots at his kidneys.    CHI rivalry was kid stuff in comparison, to hate and battle level of the sport back then.   WNP versus Canucks in the 90's was also a major level up.    It takes some playoff reps, really though, how many fights did we see against CHI?   Some cheep shots for sure (Keith), it was tamer though.   We didn't have half the team in the box icing their knuckles. 

Flames have grown on me, always seem to play an honest style. Jets and Sens, even Habs I can cheer. Can't do Oilers or Leafs. Just can't, not even a little bit. Lol. 

• Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Panthers almost lost this game.

is there an Almost Losses stat category now?

they also never trailed and led for the vast majority. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Flames have grown on me, always seem to play an honest style. Jets and Sens, even Habs I can cheer. Can't do Oilers or Leafs. Just can't, not even a little bit. Lol. 

I get it.  I've changed my mind about the Oilers.   Tried to stick to my guns, and hope that the cup comes back to Canada, my issue is with their stars and how they play the game, given that the media is making it so much about them, and don't see them playing an honourable game.   They want a PP so badly (sure the cup too), that diving and lunging elbows... well karma is a bitch.   Hope they win a game, then lose in Florida.    Just so they get a little bit of hope, and especially for the fans in Florida.   A brooming would be fine too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tas said:

is there an Almost Losses stat category now?

they also never trailed and led for the vast majority. 

Panthers almost didn't win category? 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I get it.  I've changed my mind about the Oilers.   Tried to stick to my guns, and hope that the cup comes back to Canada, my issue is with their stars and how they play the game, given that the media is making it so much about them, and don't see them playing an honourable game.   They want a PP so badly (sure the cup too), that diving and lunging elbows... well karma is a bitch.   Hope they win a game, then lose in Florida.    Just so they get a little bit of hope, and especially for the fans in Florida.   A brooming would be fine too. 

Love to see the Coiler fans watch the Panthers celebrate on Saturday. Their tears will bring Alf joy. 

• Like 2

which will be sweeter to watch on Saturday night?

-Tkachuk hoisting the cup IN Edmonton?

-Luongo hoisting the cup?

-McDavid crying in his beard?

-all of the above

Edited by grumpyone
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, IBatch said:

my issue is with their stars and how they play the game, given that the media is making it so much about them, and don't see them playing an honourable game.   They want a PP so badly (sure the cup too), that diving and lunging elbows... well karma is a bitch

This in a nutshell. Even when I cheered against the Leafs I could be less vitriol. What you mentioned and how they barely got by us but have been portrayed as basically steamrolling us is unbearable. Four straight would be just beautiful, epic, perfect.