[SCF] Florida Panthers (A1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Panthers in 7
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The only two Edmonton players I have sympathy for is RNH, and Ekholm. Both are in their 30's and both probably know this is their best chance at a title.

The fact the RNH had to put up with years of mismanagement of the Oilers and he's still loyal to them. Yikes.

RNH had a chance to go to an NHL team as a UFA and took a discount to stay in that shithole of a city.  He brought this on himself.

• Upvote 1

Gotta say, I don't mind watching the highlights today.  McDavid, Hyman and Draisaitl - 0 goals in the Final. They should be embarrassed claiming to be Canada's team. Not bloody likely! Bunch of dirty choke artists.

This Coiler team in no way shape or form is a legit Stanley cup contending team and it shows playing against one. They are a 2 man team that heavily relied on their PP for almost every goal..

They need a Defence overhaul , A major retool to their bottom 6 and a legit goaltender...Realistically they will most likely have 1 piece to build around next season (McBaby) as I can see them with only 10 mill cap space for next season being forced to move DryCycle to free up money to fill up other glaring gaps.

They had a fairly easy path to the finals. Cruising through the Kings who are a shell of their former self and have had their number, Barely beat us with a 3rd stinger and the Nucks top scorer being out for game 7, Beat Dallas who was running on fumes and gassed after getting through Vegas and Av's and now are being exposed for the frauds that they are by Florida... No way they'd be in the finals if they had to go through Vegas or Colorado.

This might have been there best chance at a cup for a very long time. Might be having to start a rebuild all together if I'm honest.

If I was a betting man, I'd bet that it would be the Canucks who'd be the next men up to bring Canada back to the promised land. Key player's in all positions to build around, With a few tweaks and we are there. Move over Deadmonton, There's a new sheriff in town.

2 minutes ago, Viking said:

this series is a dusting...

You know if he just apologized and just said he's an Oilers fan, through and through. And he let his emotions get the better of him.

It would probably be eventually brushed off. But honestly I think he's seriously destroying any chance of getting a permanent gig at the national level.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's kept on but only for regional games.

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Honestly, deep down I think most of us realize it, but if the Oilers and/or Leafs get their act together and build up a solid goaltending/defence core while sacrificing a bit on the top end of forwards, they could both be serious, serious Cup contenders.  The Oilers in particular are probably 1 elite goalie and 1 more true top 4 defenceman from winning a Cup given they have guys that are on really good value deals:  RNH and Hyman.

Not really fond of figuring things out for EDM, but what I'd do:

- Buyout Jack Campbell cuz nobody is taking on that contract for that kinda goaltending (savings of $3.9M, $2.7M, and $2.4M for the next 3 years).

- Trade Evander Kane (savings of $5.125M)

- Trade Ceci for a bag of pucks (savings of $3.25M)

- Bring back Desharnais for the bottom pair

That's $12.275M right there.  Go out and grab one of the top RHD UFA defencemen in this year's market (Matt Roy? Pesce? DeMelo?)  Then trade for a legitimate top goaltender... lots on the market this offseason (Gibson? Ullmark?).

Their group looks like this then:

Ekholm-Bouchard

Nurse-Pesce (Pesce or Roy or Demelo would probably cover for Nurse's screwups... Tanev is another guy that could fit the bill here.  They need to babysit Nurse)

Kulak-Desharnais

Gibson

Skinner

That group above will probably carry them to another deep run if not a Cup, as long as they don't overplay McWhiney and Crysaitl again.

Maybe you should apply as an Assistant GM? Sounds like you'd make better choices.

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe you should apply as an Assistant GM? Sounds like you'd make better choices.

Are you telling me I'd have to live in Edmonton???  🤮

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Make no mistake about it, Allvin is gonna have alot of pressure building on the success they had this year. We can't take step back. There's a good chance all of our UFAs walk away come July 1. 

1st priority finding that top player to play with Petey

2nd priority solidify our 4th line

As this series has shown, you build championship teams from the backend out. It is imperative that we resign and solidify our D; that's our first priority. Though FLA is a great Team, the vezina caliber goalie is making the saves to secure games. We have such goalie and what looks to be a good 1B to allow him to split games next year.

The one take away I have gained in the last week watching FLA play is we NEED a Bennet type player; a super skilled dude that plays with some edge. Also, watching LVGKs last year, Tanner Stephenson should be a target. The guy plays the right way, and never takes a shift off. He is a 200' Garland in effort.

My priorities:

1) Hronek: Go through the dance and get him locked up longterm. Though 1st priority, I think this will be a QO, then an extension in August. Having said that, it is the # 1 thing.

2) Zadarov: He is the Bennett example on D; he a good player that fits the system AND plays with Snarl. PA needs to get him locked up by July 1st.

3A) Lindholm: I'd make the push for Lindholm on a contract <7.5m. If that's unattainable by start of FA or shortly there after, I divert to option 3B. 

3B)Tanner Stephson OR a Sam Bennett type player: Center depth, and a HARD worker. They are guys that will win you a cup; enough said.

4) Top 6 Fwd on a budget: Get another scorer to play with Petterson. I use the term budget bc I would HOPE he is only a place holder for Lekkermaki. To compete cap wise, we NEED guys like Lekkermaki to perform. A Toffoli type player comes to mind here.

5) 2nd pair RHD Dman: A Meyers type guy on a 2-3 yr <3m contract. There are options here, but Meyers would be perfect on the right contract. This is a place holder signing too; one would hope that E. Petterson or Willander will displace him or Juulsen in the next couple years.

6) Find a Dakota type project: It seems we have a great scouting staff now. Go out anbd find the next guy to groom into that role. Podz and him and grind it out for the stop.

7) Fill the Bottom 6 with Targeted vets: Sign guys to <2m contracts to fill the void. Blueger would be a target here...or Lafferty types.

8 ) Dman depth: sign a vet 7/8th guy. Cole would be great in this role, but a <1.2m. This depth could also split time with Juulsen in 6th role.

9) Silovs: Sign him to a two year contract with assertion he will get ~30 games next year IF he continues to play and work hard.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You know if he just apologized and just said he's an Oilers fan, through and through. And he let his emotions get the better of him.

It would probably be eventually brushed off. But honestly I think he's seriously destroying any chance of getting a permanent gig at the national level.

All he had to do was say:  "It's just my opinion that I happen to dislike the Vancouver Canucks team and/or personal...where I crossed the line was trashing its fans & I'm sorry for that".  Then if he continued to get trolling comments, he could easily have the 'high moral ground' imho.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Why do you think that? Edmonton is Rogers team, they don't care at all if Vancouver is pissed off, in fact they probably bank on it for attention.

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Honestly, deep down I think most of us realize it, but if the Oilers and/or Leafs get their act together and build up a solid goaltending/defence core while sacrificing a bit on the top end of forwards, they could both be serious, serious Cup contenders.  The Oilers in particular are probably 1 elite goalie and 1 more true top 4 defenceman from winning a Cup given they have guys that are on really good value deals:  RNH and Hyman.

Not really fond of figuring things out for EDM, but what I'd do:

- Buyout Jack Campbell cuz nobody is taking on that contract for that kinda goaltending (savings of $3.9M, $2.7M, and $2.4M for the next 3 years).

- Trade Evander Kane (savings of $5.125M)

- Trade Ceci for a bag of pucks (savings of $3.25M)

- Bring back Desharnais for the bottom pair

That's $12.275M right there.  Go out and grab one of the top RHD UFA defencemen in this year's market (Matt Roy? Pesce? DeMelo?)  Then trade for a legitimate top goaltender... lots on the market this offseason (Gibson? Ullmark?).

Their group looks like this then:

Ekholm-Bouchard

Nurse-Pesce (Pesce or Roy or Demelo would probably cover for Nurse's screwups... Tanev is another guy that could fit the bill here.  They need to babysit Nurse)

Kulak-Desharnais

Gibson

Skinner

That group above will probably carry them to another deep run if not a Cup, as long as they don't overplay McWhiney and Crysaitl again.

100%, though you weaponize Draisatl to get there; you can kill 3 birds with one stone in my opinion

Draisatl + Campbell ---> Carlo + Ullmark + draft pick (?)

The move:

- solidifies goaltending (good 1A & 1B with Skinner)

- soldifies top 4 D (Bouch-Ekholm Nurse-Carlo Broberg-Kulak/Ceci/??)

- Frees up Cap to: 1) Find FA scoring winger for McD 2) Fill out Bottom 6 with guys > vet min

Final Roster:

FA-McD-Hyman

Kane-RNH-Holloway

FA-Mcloed-FA

Ryan-FA-FA

Ekholm-Bouch

Nurse-Carlo

Broberg-Kulak

Ceci

Ullmark

Skinner

This team would actually scare me with the right coaching

Edited by BC_Hawk

6 hours ago, tas said:

yes, I maintain still the canucks were best team in the west. wish they could have dug just a bit deeper. 

the oilers are I think the worst team I've seen make the finals in a long time. 

Agreed 

I'm so happy that they aren't winning the cup. 

It would have stung watching an inferior team win a cup

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Maurice has them wired :

That is basically what RT has brought to this team; a true leader and driver of men. No weirdo Woodcrofts nor soft browed Knoblauchs.....True leaders.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1