[SCF] Florida Panthers (A1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Panthers in 7
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

5 hours ago, tas said:

is there an Almost Losses stat category now?

they also never trailed and led for the vast majority. 

Well they lost momentum for one. Edmonton was sure coming on strong but a little late and a dollar short.

7 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Well they lost momentum for one. Edmonton was sure coming on strong but a little late and a dollar short.

and edmonton is down 3-0 and the series is basically over. 

win by 1 or win by 8, it's all the same. 

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

hey when you're over in those many other forums, can you call McDavid McBaby or McWhiner for me? 

And when you pretend to suck hole to them cause you want them to like you, report back.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

I was never a coiler hater and never particular disliked them. 

Always hurt when you get eliminated and for a short time it stings. 

But the diving of this Oiler team, with all the skills and ability on it, really turned my stomach. 

in particular, when we had to endure the blindness of the commentry, and the blatant favouritism of a Canadian broadcaster towards one of the two teams. 

Its been quite a long time, since I enjoyed a teams misery as much as I've been enjoying the downfall of this lame arsed Oilers team, and all their pundit cheer leader... 

Enjoy the pain you lousy bunch of whiners...

It's too bad.   Didn't have any problem cheering on Pronger, Ryan Smith and that ragtag bunch with Rolloson.    Also cheered for CAL,   At the time didn't cheer much for OTT, enough good old boys on ANA, and well really pick your poison to 90's expansion team's, one of them was going to win.    At least we had Burke and May, plus a bunch of other guys (Scott Thornton lol well whoops!).    Since then .. just us.   Since the late 2000's, that's a freaking shame.   WNP had some good teams they couldn't make it work or it would be really easy.   Pretty sure all of Canada was happy to see ATL lose their franchise and have a team there again.   I'm still waiting for the Nordiques too.    

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

While it's fun to dunk on the OIlers, it really isn't just a McDavid and Draisaitl thing. The Panthers have been smothering high end offensive players all playoffs long.

PvWvV99.png

And that's why Barkov is finally going to get his freaking due.   When some people on this site were thinking EP was a two-way beast and deserving of Selke nods,  I kept saying watch Barkov.      A totally different level, it was there last year, it was there five years ago too.    Maybe if he added 20lbs of muscle.    And then still probably not going to be at that level.    Even with the MT love last year, it was still Barkov stirring the drink.    Someone mentioned a bigger Miller - yep.   He's a freaking beast! 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

It's too bad.   Didn't have any problem cheering on Pronger, Ryan Smith and that ragtag bunch with Rolloson.    Also cheered for CAL,   At the time didn't cheer much for OTT, enough good old boys on ANA, and well really pick your poison to 90's expansion team's, one of them was going to win.    At least we had Burke and May, plus a bunch of other guys (Scott Thornton lol well whoops!).    Since then .. just us.   Since the late 2000's, that's a freaking shame.   WNP had some good teams they couldn't make it work or it would be really easy.   Pretty sure all of Canada was happy to see ATL lose their franchise and have a team there again.   I'm still waiting for the Nordiques too.    

I feel the same... 

Its exactly the same reason, why the rest of the country hates Toronto... the blind favouritism towards a single team, while calling it 'Canadas team'... BS...

Most of the fans in Canada, can accept losing and don't mind supporting the other Canadian teams, but when the the press sides with one of the two and that team is a bunch of whiners and divers... it sticks in folks throat... don't think its only Canucks fans, who can see it.

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

I feel the same... 

Its exactly the same reason, why the rest of the country hates Toronto... the blind favouritism towards a single team, while calling it 'Canadas team'... BS...

Most of the fans in Canada, can accept losing and don't mind supporting the other Canadian teams, but when the the press sides with one of the two and that team is a bunch of whiners and divers... it sticks in folks throat... don't think its only Canucks fans, who can see it.

We had a good series with them.   Things that rivalries start from, as long as we can keep going at it together (have to be a good team to go there).   Don't remember a superstar as unlikeable as McDavid.    Draisatl isn't so great either.    Funny how we all hate Messier, don't remember him being so classless though.    What he said after they won against us was a huge compliment.    Maybe the media wasn't close to as an industry back then or worse memories would be had.     This current EDM team is tough to take seriously.   Like  Vegans who fart 7 times more then normal people. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Why do I get this horrible feeling that Drai is going to end up being a Boston Bruin?

His dive in the 3rd period was SO LAME! lmao this guy

Those embellishments should be reviewed. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

And that's why Barkov is finally going to get his freaking due.   When some people on this site were thinking EP was a two-way beast and deserving of Selke nods,  I kept saying watch Barkov.      A totally different level, it was there last year, it was there five years ago too.    Maybe if he added 20lbs of muscle.    And then still probably not going to be at that level.    Even with the MT love last year, it was still Barkov stirring the drink.    Someone mentioned a bigger Miller - yep.   He's a freaking beast! 

I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see Barkov go on a Bergergon-like Selke run. If Kopitar were younger I'd say he'd probably be in the mix too, it's impressive enough that he managed to win two of them while Bergeron was around. 

There's a few players out there who could snag a Selke with Bergeron having retired, but Barkov will probably be the favourite most years. 

I wouldn't compare him to Miller though, I'd actually compare him to Kopitar. @HKSR and I had a back and forth about Kopitar a few months back, he's a bit of a unicorn when it comes to his being a big, two-way center with high end talent, we both concluded that Barkov is probably the closest thing to a Kopitar comparable there is. Kopitar is basically a better Getzlaf, it's rare for any center, let alone a first line center to have the toolbox Kopitar's got. 

Miller hasn't always been a solid defensive player, whereas that's been a hallmark of both Barkov and Kopitar's game for years. 

I think EP would need to remain a center, get back to the level he was at last season, and be a better faceoff guy to have a chance at a Selke. 

Edited by Coconuts

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

We had a good series with them.   Things that rivalries start from, as long as we can keep going at it together (have to be a good team to go there).   Don't remember a superstar as unlikeable as McDavid.    Draisatl isn't so great either.    Funny how we all hate Messier, don't remember him being so classless though.    What he said after they won against us was a huge compliment.    Maybe the media wasn't close to as an industry back then or worse memories would be had.     This current EDM team is tough to take seriously.   Like  Vegans who fart 7 times more then normal people. 

You kind of nailed it there... unlikeable... Shown zero respect towards their opponents... especially Draisaitl... His ' post are not saves' were a piss poor remark.

But it kind of follow the team... the comments from ex players have been just about as childish as the comments by Draisaitl...

Don't expect support, when you spit at your opponent... 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

17 minutes ago, IBatch said:

If EP can eventually develop a 2-way into somewhat of what we see in Barkov today, this would be absolutely huge for the Canucks.

23 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Don't remember a superstar as unlikeable as McDavid.  

I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for the NHL to have by far their most marketable star be such a terrible spokesperson, nearly unusable as the face of the game. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

I don't think moving Draisaitl is a smart move.  McDavid and Draisaitl can carry and drive their own lines.  If you move Drai, now you're relying on RNH to carry his line with a sputtering Kane and an inexperienced albeit talented Holloway.  Their PP would also take a major hit without Draisaitl.  What makes EDM offence so potent is that other teams have to try and matchup against arguably 2 of the best offensive players on the planet right now.  That's their strength.  They need to build around it.

Imagine if Crosby didn't have Malkin.  You need that top end talent to win.  Especially as the drivers of offence on lines 1 and 2.

The problem is cap, and we need to look at realistic #s (unlike the Edm fans):

- Draisatl is going to want 14m+ LT on his next contract...and someone will give him that

- McD will be 16-17m LT

- Bouchard: Either do a 2/3 yr bridge at 8/9m OR want 10m+ LT

So, in just a couple years, the oilers will be paying ~49m for the above 3 plus Nurse LT. You can't maintain the same team they have nor make improvements with those #s.

In sports, you need to manage your assets; both talent and value. Trading Draisatl removes some talent, but offers the best value overall to improve the team (strive to play like FLA or LVGKs) and set them up for success LT. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, tas said:

I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for the NHL to have by far their most marketable star be such a terrible spokesperson, nearly unusable as the face of the game. 

Unlikable bc he gives off an entitled vibe. I never got that from Sidney nor some of the other greats.

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Following Edm in 2017 was fun though; they were the up and comers & played high octane. At that point, their egos hadn't take over the vibe yet. Since they went the CF a couple years back..insufferable.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Following Edm in 2017 was fun though; they were the up and comers & played high octane. At that point, their egos hadn't take over the vibe yet. Since they went the CF a couple years back..insufferable.

they've been buying into their own press.

blame the media for pumping their tires as cup favourites when it's been crystal clear all along that they are a horribly flawed team. 

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, tas said:

they've been buying into their own press.

blame the media for pumping their tires as cup favourites when it's been crystal clear all along that they are a horribly flawed team. 

Yep agree. One can only hear "best two players in the world" so many times before you think you are. On the flipside, Barkov gets little press, yet the whole SCF audience is now seeing how dominant he is

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1