[SCF] Florida Panthers (A1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Panthers in 7
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

4 minutes ago, Iron Fist said:

Steve Kozari- Canadian, born in Penticton, But parents could be from Alberta

Dan O'Rourke-Canadian, born in Calgary, but could've been raised a Oilers Fan

Jonny Murray- Canadian, born in Quebec City, Parents could be from Alberta

Matt MacPherson- Canadian, Born in Nove Scotia, Could've grown up an oilers fan

The earth is flat.

5 hours ago, J-23 said:

Off-topic but I have no idea how any other hockey team beats Canada. McDavid, Mackinnon, Crosby, Bedard. Good luck to the other teams.

Yeah? And who's going to play goal? The USA has Demko, Oettinger and Hellebuyck to choose from.

Not saying Team USA is better or worse than Canada, just that they'll be pretty damned good.  The rest of the roster is might include:

Auston Matthews, Toronto Maple Leafs
Jack Hughes, New Jersey Devils
Matthew Tkachuk, Florida Panthers
Brady Tkachuk, Ottawa Senators
Jason Robertson, Dallas Stars
Jack Eichel, Vegas Golden Knights
J.T. Miller, Vancouver Canucks
Kyle Connor, Winnipeg Jets
Clayton Keller, Arizona Coyotes
Dylan Larkin, Detroit Red Wings
Tage Thompson, Buffalo Sabres
Brock Boeser, Vancouver Canucks
Alex DeBrincat, Detroit Red Wings

Quinn Hughes, Vancouver Canucks
Charlie McAvoy, Boston Bruins
Jaccob Slavin, Carolina Hurricanes
Adam Fox, New York Rangers
Zach Werenski, Columbus Blue Jackets
Brock Faber, Minnesota Wild
Jacob Trouba, New York Rangers

Luke Hughes, New Jersey Devils

18 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

The earth is flat.

Being a  fan of a Professional sports team and cheering for a divisional rival day after their season is over is like converting religions for a bag of rice.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Yeah? And who's going to play goal? The USA has Demko, Oettinger and Hellebuyck to choose from.

Not saying Team USA is better or worse than Canada, just that they'll be pretty damned good.  The rest of the roster is might include:

Based on these playoffs, Oettinger and Hellebuyck leave a lot to be desired when it comes to goaltending in high pressure situations. 

I'd also say McDavid has shown he is a single man wrecking crew offensively, even with elite teams trying to shut him down.  Add in a Mackinnon or Crosby or Bedard onto his line and it'll be a nightmare for the opposition. 

7 hours ago, shiznak said:

Even when Edmonton were down 3-0 in the series. I never felt like Florida was the better team. It was just Bobrovsky playing lights out for the Cats and keeping them in the game. It seem like Edmonton has figured him out.

Reality is McDavid is a generational talent in his prime.  That's extremely difficult to contain.  Add in a strong supporting cast of Draisaitl, Hyman, RNH, Bouchard, and Ekholm and you can see why they are in the finals doing the damage they're doing.  Goaltending was their only real question mark, and so when Skinner plays halfway decent, they have a strong chance of winning the game.

• Cheers 1

Let's face it... if the Oilers manage to come back and win this thing after being down 3-0, they deserve the Cup.  It's hard enough to come back from a 3-0 deficit, let alone doing it in the Stanley Cup finals. 

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, J-23 said:

Off-topic but I have no idea how any other hockey team beats Canada. McDavid, Mackinnon, Crosby, Bedard. Good luck to the other teams.

By scoring on their less than stellar goaltenders. Canada is severely lacking on that front. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Outplayed them in the 2nd half, but lost the game in the first half. I really don't want to see the Oilers make history.

It’s our fault, if we didn’t dump and change for the 1st 30 minutes of game 7 against them(while only shooting 2x) we would probably be the ones in the final. 

Oilers will win game 6 I have zero doubt.

The league will make sure they get every advantage. If they’re up they’ll get powerplays if they’re down they’ll get powerplays.

The NHL wants a legacy for McDavid so they can pump up the marketing machine. Maybe they’ll orchestrate a trade to Utah too in order to sell hockey. 🤣

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Hill, Skinner, Binnington, Ingram, Jarry... not a great list but they're all capable starting NHL goalies. Let the offense and defense do the rest. We know Canada has the better top end offense, and Canada's defense might include: Makar, Hamilton, Dunn, Pietrangelo, Theodore, Bouchard, Doughty, Chabot, Toews, Dobson, Morrissey.

Going to be a treat watching Canada vs USA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Let's face it... if the Oilers manage to come back and win this thing after being down 3-0, they deserve the Cup.  It's hard enough to come back from a 3-0 deficit, let alone doing it in the Stanley Cup finals. 

This is how I'm tryongto cope with this. If they can win four straight, gotta give it to them. Asterix though with the reffing and media and schedule behind them. I think the extra day break between games is really helping the Oilers more than Florida imho.

4 minutes ago, Rekker said:

This is how I'm tryongto cope with this. If they can win four straight, gotta give it to them. Asterix though with the reffing and media and schedule behind them. I think the extra day break between games is really helping the Oilers more than Florida imho.

Totally.  McDavid and Draisaitl have been playing a TON of minutes.  The extra day rest in between games is absolutely recharging those 2 guys.  FLA doesn't need to overplay anybody.  So they don't benefit much from the extra rest.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Florida had one job .... One freakin job......

I could have handled an oiler win in a 7 game series that was back and forth ... To be up 3-0 and then potentially give the Oilers the claim of only the second team in NHL history to come back after being down 3-0 and win .... We will never hear the end of it ..... Florida ... Wake the F up please lol

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, HKSR said:

Not too long ago, several people on here were touting how the USA were so much stronger and deeper than Canada, but I really don't know how a team can stop Mackinnon, McDavid, Crosby, and Bedard where at least one of them is on the ice for an entire game.  

And then what about a PP of:

Mcdavid Mackinnon Crosby Bedard Makar

I will say Canada is deeper or at the very least match with USA in every position except the goalies.

USA: Hellebuyck, Demko, Oettinger, Swayman are all better goalies than any Canadian goalies we have at this time.

Canada: Binnington? Hill? Thompson? Brossoit? Skinner? Ingram? No one gives me the same level of confidence of any of the USA goalies. In fact, you can argue that the 4th best USA goalie is better than Canada's No.1.

In a one game elimination, a hot goalie can absolutely steal the game. Yes, I know, Canada is a stacked team, and an average goalie is can probably win you a game. If you are up against a similarly/equally stacked team in Team USA, then goaltender will have an impact.

For example, 2014 Sochi Olympics, head to head, it was a 1-0 Canada win over USA in the Semi-Finals. Goalies in net were Carey Price vs. Jonathan Quick (both in their prime). I am not sure if you put a goalie of a different calibre in net we would still have won that game. And 10 years ago, Canada still had a better team overall and better depth wise. This time around, the gap is much closer.

Canada can still win, but it won't be easy.

Florida was just coasting along up until the mid 2nd-3rd they started to finally wake the fuck up..I bet it's over on Fri. Last finals sits in their brain, Don't need that repeat...

“There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.”

30 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

I will say Canada is deeper or at the very least match with USA in every position except the goalies.

USA: Hellebuyck, Demko, Oettinger, Swayman are all better goalies than any Canadian goalies we have at this time.

Canada: Binnington? Hill? Thompson? Brossoit? Skinner? Ingram? No one gives me the same level of confidence of any of the USA goalies. In fact, you can argue that the 4th best USA goalie is better than Canada's No.1.

In a one game elimination, a hot goalie can absolutely steal the game. Yes, I know, Canada is a stacked team, and an average goalie is can probably win you a game. If you are up against a similarly/equally stacked team in Team USA, then goaltender will have an impact.

For example, 2014 Sochi Olympics, head to head, it was a 1-0 Canada win over USA in the Semi-Finals. Goalies in net were Carey Price vs. Jonathan Quick (both in their prime). I am not sure if you put a goalie of a different calibre in net we would still have won that game. And 10 years ago, Canada still had a better team overall and better depth wise. This time around, the gap is much closer.

Sportsnet650 did an segment with Kevin Woodley, the goalie guy; and he asked for an hour to talk about the Canadian goalie issue.

sounds like the training/practice and development need fixing-too much to discuss in 15 minutes.

hopefully, sometime this summer, he will get that opportunity.

Edited by Gurn

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

Reality is McDavid is a generational talent in his prime.  That's extremely difficult to contain.  Add in a strong supporting cast of Draisaitl, Hyman, RNH, Bouchard, and Ekholm and you can see why they are in the finals doing the damage they're doing.  Goaltending was their only real question mark, and so when Skinner plays halfway decent, they have a strong chance of winning the game.

You pretty much nailed it. 

McDavid is just so hard to contain. When he gets the support he needs from the entire team it really makes them hard to beat. He literally pulls everyone beyond the ceiling of their talent and potential. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Yep. Agree. Will have to eat crow and begrudgingly give them their due if that happens. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Canuck You said:

5 hrs later...Panther interview on Sportsnet!

They want the Coilers to be CANADA's team SO badly it's pathetic. I honestly wish they'd just cover the series instead of trying to cram this Coilers bullshit down our throats. No one outside of Deadmonton gives a rats ass about McMuffins daily bowel movements. The media in Canada are an absolute joke. 

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

Their blueline is still absolute trash with only Ekholm belonging in the NHL.

52 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

When you think of it though, in a high-pressured situation, none of those USA goalies (sorry Demko) have won a cup. At least Hill and Binnington have done that.
Yes, I know Price doesn't have a cup either but he was regarded undoubtedly as the best in the world at the time. 

1 hour ago, Sapper said:

Florida had one job .... One freakin job......

I could have handled an oiler win in a 7 game series that was back and forth ... To be up 3-0 and then potentially give the Oilers the claim of only the second team in NHL history to come back after being down 3-0 and win .... We will never hear the end of it ..... Florida ... Wake the F up please lol

This is the nightmare scenario of all nightmare scenarios and any self respecting Canucks fan should absolutely despise just the thought of that.