[SCF] Florida Panthers (A1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Panthers in 7
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

8 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

I don't understand why players would lift the cup and if their name won't go on it.

Players won't touch the cup until they have won it. It is superstition. If your name isn't on it because you aren't eligible, you shouldn't touch it. I am always puzzled why Black Aces come out and skate with the cup as well. I guess it is potentially a once in a life time opportunity, but if I am in their place, I would refuse to do it.

Well they all feel like they’re part of a team whether they played or not. Whether they were just a voice in the room or helped keep things light I’m sure the team feels they played a role no matter how small.

Im sure every business exec and hockey ops staff will lift it despite not getting their name on it.

Edited by DeNiro
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

If you were in their place how would you actually know?   Kind of said it already.   Ive been around long enough to know guys that win it right away don't ever again.   Maybe like Perry tonight (Eric Staal, Cam Ward a bit before him).    Theo Fleury.   Doug Gilmour.   That's wasn't unusual even back in a 21 team league.   So.   Does Ben Hutton count?   

Ben Hutton got his name on the cup. Although he wasn't eligible by the rule, but they had enough space so they got his name on the Cup. Hutton was their 7th defenseman all season and was in the room with the team all year.

Hypothetically, if we won this year, I think a player like Mark Friedman should get to celebrate by lifting the cup and get his name on the cup if there is space. He was with the team pretty much all year, and regularly practices with the team.

1 minute ago, Rip The Mesh said:

They're showing a game from the old days between Boston  and Edmonton. Gretsky and Orr; others form the past. 

Wonder what they would have showed if Boeser had not been hurt and Vancouver went on to play Dallas then Florida? 

Not just Boeser. We were missing our Vezina level goalie who had previously proven to be phenomenal in playoff hockey. It’s clear we dispatch the Coilers in five with Demko. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

Ben Hutton got his name on the cup. Although he wasn't eligible by the rule, but they had enough space so they got his name on the Cup. Hutton was their 7th defenseman all season and was in the room with the team all year.

Hypothetically, if we won this year, I think a player like Mark Friedman should get to celebrate by lifting the cup and get his name on the cup if there is space. He was with the team pretty much all year, and regularly practices with the team.

I know.  That's exactly the point.   It was in the Ottawa Sun.   That Ben Hutton was bringing the cup to Brockville.   For his day with the cup.   Kind of the point.   Should he be denied?   Both his name on the cup (played enough games) or that he was a depth guy? 

32 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

Vegas put 27 players on it I think.  Second most all time. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Not eating there ever again if they pull this crap. 

16 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

Way to drive an already shitty business in to the ground.

That dumb dragon started in Edmonton, with buying one of the first small franchises while still on the RCMP in '64.

But his first real full restaurant was the Boston Pizza in Penticton in '68.  My home town where I was born.  I knew that place well.  The only Italian food restaurant. Where you could get pizza and lasagna.  A lot of weekend nights I helped profit that place with my friends.  He then opened more franchises across BC, finally buying out the original owner of BP.  So he owes his fortune to BC opening its door to him.   And as soon as his Alberta home town band of diving scrubs does anything in the playoffs he expects us to jump on the Edmonton band wagon with him?  F off Jim.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, kilgore said:

That dumb dragon started in Edmonton, with buying one of the first small franchises while still on the RCMP in '64.

But his first real full restaurant was the Boston Pizza in Penticton in '68.  My home town where I was born.  I knew that place well.  The only Italian food restaurant. Where you could get pizza and lasagna.  A lot of weekend nights I helped profit that place with my friends.  He then opened more franchises across BC, finally buying out the original owner of BP.  So he owes his fortune to BC opening its door to him.   And as soon as his Alberta home town band of diving scrubs does anything in the playoffs he expects us to jump on the Edmonton band wagon with him?  F off Jim.

I always thought it was a dumb name, no one goes to Boston for the pizza. Boston Chowdah, maybe. 

• ThereItIs 1

44 minutes ago, Guntrix said:

Oilers winning would be a loss for hockey and the sport overall.

I can’t think of a more anti-hockey strategy than tanking your way to all those 1st overalls, having half of them bust, and tanking some more. Zero spirit to compete.

If there’s ever a hockey God, now would be the time to show up.

Spot on... nuff said.

11 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Yepp, Get money and forget what and who made you....Mom and Pop shop pizza any day!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darius said:

If this was Winnipeg, Ottawa or Montreal in the finals Id be cheering for them.

Cant cheer for:

Calgary - we have a long rivalry.  89, 94, 04, 15 ...  I still kinda respect them though. The highest they have picked in the draft was 4th.  They have had many things go wrong for them over the years.

Toronto - enough said.  National broadcasters are toronto centric - I get it ..they are the largest market.  What irks me is as the second largest english speaking market Vancouver gets nowhere near the proportional slant that Toronto does. Hell, Vancouver plays Edmonton on a Saturday night we get the gift of Singh and Debrusk, followed by rotten Ron during the intermissions.  

Edmonton - id rather switch sports than cheer for them. Bowling, Badminton, or Ass slapping would be better.  Wrangled Gretzky via some personal contract shenanigans in the WHA days that somehow stuck when Edmonton got an NHL team - he should have been put in the 79 draft but wasnt.  Backed their way into generational all time superstar #2 after drafting 1,1,1,3 - they had no business being there in 2015 but they were only because of ineptness, incompetence, and making a mockery of the lotto.  And here we are a decade later with everyone fawning over them as if the power of the shamrock stuck up their arse had nothing to do with it.   Hard to watch this while you cheer for a team that has basically lost every lotto/ spin of the wheel since day one 1970.  

I suppose letting out my feelings is helping me cope with what we might see in about 9 hours 🙂

Great Job Reaction GIF

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I've got a sinking feeling the Oil are gonna pull it off, I really hope I'm wrong though, we'd never hear the end of it. 

Oh it's almost guaranteed the Oilers are gonna win tonight.  I'll be absolutely shocked if Florida comes alive after letting in 18 goals in the last 3 games.  If FLA scores first, they have some hope.  If Oilers score first, it's all over for the Panthers. 

• Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I've got a sinking feeling the Oil are gonna pull it off, I really hope I'm wrong though, we'd never hear the end of it. 

Yeah, Edmonton arrogance is something else. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Not eating there ever again if they pull this crap. 

Wouldn't eat there voluntarily before due to their food being absolute garbage, but I'm never giving them a penny for any reason after the way they disgraced the country with their ads these playoffs.  I don't want to contribute towards preventing these pieces of shit from starving to death.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rip The Mesh said:

They're showing a game from the old days between Boston  and Edmonton. Gretsky and Orr; others form the past. 

Wonder what they would have showed if Boeser had not been hurt and Vancouver went on to play Dallas then Florida? 

Chicago vs Boston finals?  Just because?

3 minutes ago, tas said:

all I know is that if the oilers pull it off, I never want to hear another moronic "gary bettman won't let canada win" conspiracy theory ever again.

Gary Bettman will only allow Canada to win once every 30 years... 🙃

6 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Could be, but I'm thinking different;

8uvx10.jpg

Here's hoping

6 minutes ago, tas said:

all I know is that if the oilers pull it off, I never want to hear another moronic "gary bettman won't let canada win" conspiracy theory ever again.

It's just going to morph into more Bettman has a McDavid agenda stuff