[SCF] Florida Panthers (A1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Panthers in 7
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

2 hours ago, tas said:

there's no world where anybody comes back out from the dressing room after losing game 7 of the stanley cup final on the road to accept an award they do not give a shit about in that moment in front of fans that are booing them. 

It was a tough way for the Oilers to bow out of 2024. The Panthers reasserted their game and although the stats looked fairly even the Oilers weren't in it. Some impressive ozone TOI but not much net front. Canucks can take up the torch next year and go to the finals.

Glad for Maurice, a quality guy. Also happy for Sam Reinhart who captained the Kootenay Ice years ago.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Glad to see Edmonton lose obviously and this game sums it up - top players get shut-down later in the rounds, depth players and goalies/defence end up winning. Credit to Edmonton for providing some speed and scoring but at the end of the day depth and defence finally prevailed, but only just.

We should take note and build our team accordingly - we need speed, depth up front, good defensive forwards and maintain a good defence. There's maybe an argument to move away from big hulking defencemen and towards more mobile guys after watching these playoffs. In the past one or two puck movers with 4-5 physical shutdown guys worked well but watching Florida's quick defencemen evade the Edmonton pressure was impressive to watch. Regardless of their size, they just have to be able to act quickly. Our defencemen couldn't.

Hard to imagine where Edmonton go from here. They have to essentially sign an entire bottom-9 forward group. Their D is set. Next year, Draisaitl and Bouchard will command massive raises and may go elsewhere. You've got to think it's cup or bust next year.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Glad to see Edmonton lose obviously and this game sums it up - top players get shut-down later in the rounds, depth players and goalies/defence end up winning. Credit to Edmonton for providing some speed and scoring but at the end of the day depth and defence finally prevailed, but only just.

We should take note and build our team accordingly - we need speed, depth up front, good defensive forwards and maintain a good defence. There's maybe an argument to move away from big hulking defencemen and towards more mobile guys after watching these playoffs. In the past one or two puck movers with 4-5 physical shutdown guys worked well but watching Florida's quick defencemen evade the Edmonton pressure was impressive to watch. Regardless of their size, they just have to be able to act quickly. Our defencemen couldn't.

Hard to imagine where Edmonton go from here. They have to essentially sign an entire bottom-9 forward group. Their D is set. Next year, Draisaitl and Bouchard will command massive raises and may go elsewhere. You've got to think it's cup or bust next year.

This is weird because the hallmark of our defence early in the year was how quick they moved the puck. Other than Q most of the D rarely held the puck at all. 
I think once Q’s ribs were injured the entire D got a bit tentative with the puck. 

• Like 1

So now we have a good example of how to shut down McDick and Drai. There should be no way the Oil walk over any team going forward. As we play them at least 4 times next year we should be well prepared to compete (like this past season). 

McDavid dragged his team thru the playoffs , dragged the panthers back to Edmonton for game 6. But yet he couldn’t drag his sorry ass onto the ice to accept the conn Smyth trophy. He’s a disgrace. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Chon derry said:

McDavid dragged his team thru the playoffs , dragged the panthers back to Edmonton for game 6. But yet he couldn’t drag his sorry ass onto the ice to accept the conn Smyth trophy. He’s a disgrace. 

To be fair, he was in Florida. The fans were booing. He lost, I’m good with that. I don’t think him not accepting the is really that big a deal

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Chon derry said:

I agree. If you can be a man, give even half hearted handshakes to the other team at the end of the game. You can accept an award for player of playoffs.

The only thing worse when that junior player threw his silver medal into the crowd because he was upset at losing.

Life throws you curveballs. All McDiver showed is he truly is a whiner, and poor sport despite his level of skill.

Maybe he will grow up, and learn how to play defence too.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

I honestly wouldn't give a crap who cheers for us as long as we win that Cup.

I prefer that the rest of the country hate us. Because I dislike their teams as much or more. Fuck em all. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

To be fair, he was in Florida. The fans were booing. He lost, I’m good with that. I don’t think him not accepting the is really that big a deal

I disagree, He is their Captain, a leader, a professional athlete and kids look up to him and he shows everyone how to be a sore loser instead of showing grace? 

What would you think of a top Olympic athlete that has won gold medals and in one event gets a silver but doesn't show up at the podium to receive it cause they are pouting in the dressing room?

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, tas said:

there's no world where anybody comes back out from the dressing room after losing game 7 of the stanley cup final on the road to accept an award they do not give a shit about in that moment in front of fans that are booing them. 

except 2003?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, Heretic said:

I disagree, He is their Captain, a leader, a professional athlete and kids look up to him and he shows everyone how to be a sore loser instead of showing grace? 

What would you think of a top Olympic athlete that has won gold medals and in one event gets a silver but doesn't show up at the podium to receive it cause they are pouting in the dressing room?

Or the amount of money riding on that moment.

8 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

except 2003?

and giguere looked just thrilled to be out there hey?

expecting the captain of his team to put his gear back on and abandon his teammates in the most crushing moment of their lives to go out and accept an individual award he doesn't care about is absurd. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Bob should have won it. If not him then Barkov.

Why give it to the guy who was a no show in the last two games. His buddy Divesital went dark for the last eight games. 

I thought that Janmark and Conner Brown made a bigger impact in their limited ice time.

If I was cheering for the Oil, I would have been pissed off that McD, Drai, Hyman, Ekholm and Bouchard played the almost the entire last ten minutes.

Those guys were so gassed that they practically stood around while the clock drained away.

Where the fuck was Janmark, RNH, McCleod and Brown? Dopey jugears had them stapled to the bench. One of those guys had thee jump to get the game tied up, but nope, leave my guys on. Connor’s orders.

Didn’t want the Coilerz to win, so not my problem. 

This is the problem with Oilers coach all the time when trying to tie the game. I don’t recall seeing McDavid off the ice last period. You’ve got to play all four lines maybe shorten to three especially when the last three games the bottom six players got things done! They looked like the team from the beginning of the year in the last two minutes of the game because they didn’t have anything left.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Heretic said:

being their captain is the biggest reason (of several) NOT to go accept an individual award while your teammates are all crying inconsolably.  

it's about the team, not the individual. 

• Haha 1
  • Wiener 1

30 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

Apparently he didn’t think it was that big a deal either. Any other current player or every other winner of the trophy would and has been honoured to be chosen.  But I guess he’s above that. And for those reasons he was a poor chose. 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1