[SCF] Florida Panthers (A1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Panthers in 7
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'd be embarrassed if Miller did that.

And I'm sure there would be a lot of fans reacting the same way.  I think there would be a greater

number defending JT.  People around here have an extraordinary hatred for McD.  It would be

a completely different conversation around here if it had been the Canucks and JT.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Tochett would have made sure our player went and took some photos.  

Edit:  It's not a huge deal, McDavid should have done the honourable thing.   He didn't.   He's human.   Made a mistake.   

I guarantee you he would not force his player out of the room to do that. guarantee. 

56 minutes ago, tas said:

nobody cares about the individual consolation prize when they just failed to achieve their entire life's goal 2 minutes prior. with the benefit of some time to decompress he will appreciate the meaning of the Conn Smythe win, but expecting him to do so in the heat and misery of the moment is totally unreasonable. 

I gaurantee Smyl, Linden, Henrik would of gone out to accept it. Book it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

And I'm sure there would be a lot of fans reacting the same way.  I think there would be a greater

number defending JT.  People around here have an extraordinary hatred for McD.  It would be

a completely different conversation around here if it had been the Canucks and JT.

It's not hatred it's his lack of leadership.   Anyone who's watched the game for decades, has perspective.     And has a hard time wrapping their head around a star that behaves like he does.   Sakic, Yzerman, so many other great centers, Crosby, weren't divers.    He can't help his media stuff get that, but his constant sideways glances at the refs.   Did QHs do that?   Was he "coached" not too?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rekker said:

I guarantee the opposite. we've reached an impasse. 

Yes he would have.   They were a few minutes away from been up 2-0.   And that says a lot because it was by far the best of all 3 of Roy's much deserved Conn Smythe.   10 OT wins.   That's never going to happen again.   Watched every single game in 92-93.   Canucks gave LA a run for their money too.   TO was arguably a better team.   Gretzky got them to the final.    McDavid isn't close to as good as Gretzky and Mario.   Sakic, i know who'd Id prefer on my team. 

Yeah the current media love affair with McDavid is quite nauseating to be honest. Lumping him in with Gretzky and Lemieux is pretty disrespectful to those guys. Gretzky won 4 cups by age 27. Broke every scoring record.  8 Hart trophies in a row. Almost 1700 points. And he didn’t need the power play to pad his stats either. When healthy, Lemieux was almost as dominating. There was a short period where he was superior to Gretzky. 

McDavid is a great player no doubt. But he couldn’t lead his team to a cup. Quite frankly this series should have been over in 5 games. Florida choked for 3 games. And the Canucks would have beaten Edmonton with Demko and Boeser in game 7. 

I’ve never seen a team rely on the power play to score moreso than this Edmonton team. 5v5 they are not hard to beat. Game 7 proved that. No power play goals means they can only score one goal. So McDavid isn’t really McJesus after all. And quite frankly McDavid is mostly a perimeter player. I didn’t see him getting down and dirty at all in this series. And he’s 200 pounds. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

It's not hatred it's his lack of leadership.   Anyone who's watched the game for decades, has perspective.     And has a hard time wrapping their head around a star that behaves like he does.   Sakic, Yzerman, so many other great centers, Crosby, weren't divers.    He can't help his media stuff get that, but his constant sideways glances at the refs.   Did QHs do that?   Was he "coached" not too?  

crosby spent the first half of his career receiving all of the exact same whiner/diver accusations that mcdavid gets. yzerman was known as a failure until he changed his game. growing up, gretzky was synonymous with whining. 

Edited by tas
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Tochett would have made sure our player went and took some photos.  

Edit:  It's not a huge deal, McDavid should have done the honourable thing.   He didn't.   He's human.   Made a mistake.   

I'm kind of over it. McD made his choice and nobody was in that room. I wonder if Drais got up and said "go accept the trophy, we want you to". That would of been nice, but doubt it happened. We'll never know really. It's tough to really fully judge this unless your in that situation. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

And that wasn't just any simple award.  It was the Conn Smythe which has its own lore in hockey history.  The trophy has the names of legends on it -- Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux, Beliveau, Lafleur, and the list goes on.

To snub that award is to snub those that came before him that worked THEIR asses off as well to earn their honour on that trophy.

Don't give me this shit about how he put the team first by not coming out.  Part of being a leader and a professional is exemplifying WHAT TO DO in those difficult moments.  For the fans, for the league, for the game.  You get your ass back out there and show your teammates that are following your lead what SHOULD be done. 

McDavid has some maturing to do.  If and when he does, he will gain the respect of the entire hockey world, not just for his talent, but also as a person and a leader.

This, enough excuses for McWhiner 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tas said:

crosby spent the first half of his career receiving all of the exact same whiner/diver accusations that mcdavid gets. yzerman was known as a failure until he changed his game. 

Crosby whined but didn't dive anywhere near the level of McFloppy 

The NHL shouldn't have given out the trophy like that and created that situation. Wasn't smart or forward thinking. A bush league bad look.

Give it out afterward. Avoid creating such an awkward situation altogether. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

And that wasn't just any simple award.  It was the Conn Smythe which has its own lore in hockey history.  The trophy has the names of legends on it -- Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux, Beliveau, Lafleur, and the list goes on.

To snub that award is to snub those that came before him that worked THEIR asses off as well to earn their honour on that trophy.

Don't give me this shit about how he put the team first by not coming out.  Part of being a leader and a professional is exemplifying WHAT TO DO in those difficult moments.  For the fans, for the league, for the game.  You get your ass back out there and show your teammates that are following your lead what SHOULD be done. 

McDavid has some maturing to do.  If and when he does, he will gain the respect of the entire hockey world, not just for his talent, but also as a person and a leader.

there's never been a player in the history of the league who worked his ass off for the conn smythe. they've won the conn smythe as a side effect of working their asses off to win the cup. 

11 hours ago, The Duke said:

The OEL buyout was a unique opportunity for us last summer, but I think most people knew he’d bounce back this season after a proper offseason of training.  It was an amazing  turnabout season for us - but most of the pieces we brought in with the cap we carved out are set to leave in UFA. Hopefully we can keep the momentum.

OTOH Drance just posted Florida outscored Edmonton 6-1 with OEL on the ice and outshot opponents by 44 over the playoffs. He only had 6 points in 22 games but in a support role (and obviously much less salary) he tilted the ice.  Early in the year, with Ekblad and Montour out, played top pairing minutes and kept Florida in the playoff hunt.  

Good for him!  But for us? Maybe it’s a reminder not to go overboard trying to get rid of Mikheyev - unless a can’t miss opportunity necessitates clearing the cap of course.

I dunno about most, I'm too lazy to go digging for it but I know there were a few folks who took their lumps for immediately saying he'd probably go on to play well somewhere else. Was a lot of dumping on him after the buyout, and even throughout the season when he'd be brought up as someone who was doing well in Florida. 

It's one of those scenarios that seems to have worked out for both sides though, which is nice because that's not always how it goes.

11 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Would the Jets be the only Canadian team that all of Canada could truly rally behind?

Ottawa would probably be the second choice, Leafs fans are gonna Leafs fan but I think a lot of Habs fans would get on board with Ottawa

3 hours ago, -dlc- said:

• Cheers 1

I’m Glad  he never came out , now every year when this is awarded we can be reminded of the only player in history to not physically accept it. Because he was consoling ? I think more like being consoled. Since when did hockey players have to be consoled ? :picard: His fee fees were hurt :classic_laugh:

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, tas said:

I guarantee you he would not force his player out of the room to do that. guarantee. 

He would have said go take some photos before he went into the room.   Probably would have prepped him before too.   McDavid Tas, isn't as good as the media is making him out to be.   Don't buy into it. 

5 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Oh ZERO doubts there.  100% class from those guys no matter how difficult the moment is.  There are just guys that command that respect because of who they are ... has nothing to do with what jersey they wear either.  Recent notables from Canadian franchises:  Jarome Iginla.  Ryan Smyth.  Daniel Alfredsson.  etc. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, tas said:

there's never been a player in the history of the league who worked his ass off for the conn smythe. they've won the conn smythe as a side effect of working their asses off to win the cup. 

Now you're just playing semantics.  Nobody plays for any of the individual trophies in the NHL.  It is a by-product of playing their asses off to help their team win.  But you are absolutely missing the point completely because of your "stawns-like" mentality of winning this argument. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

He would have said go take some photos before he went into the room.   Probably would have prepped him before too.   McDavid Tas, isn't as good as the media is making him out to be.   Don't buy into it. 

I don't buy what you're selling I'm afraid. 

Funny  Jim Matheson, oilers homer, has no Panthers in his Conn Smythe voting....Puts Hyman in there.    Might as well let the fans vote if this guy gets to vote

• chaos 1