[SCF] Florida Panthers (A1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Panthers in 7
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

"Gustav Forsling goes from being drafted twice and placed on waivers once to winning the Stanley Cup and being voted the playoffs' third most important player. Not many have made that journey."

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Now you're just playing semantics.  Nobody plays for any of the individual trophies in the NHL.  It is a by-product of playing their asses off to help their team win.  But you are absolutely missing the point completely because of your "stawns-like" mentality of winning this argument. 

no, it's about empathizing and understanding. if I was mcdavid, I sure as hell wouldn't have gone out either, because I would have been in that room suffering with my teammates. 

59 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The problem I have with the Oilers and more notably the media coverage of them is that they put McDavid above the team and the game. Like it’s not the Oilers, it’s McDavid and the Oilers.

No player is bigger than the sport. And they’re trying so desperately to make him a Tom Brady or Lebron James. That’s not what hockey is about. You wanna cheer for individuals go watch tennis or golf.

And stop trying to write his legacy before it’s made. Constantly asking will he go down as the greatest player ever? Not if he doesn’t win a cup. He can win as many individual accolades as he wants, he won’t be the best if he can’t lead his team all the way. Stop trying to force a narrative that hasn’t been written.

I just can’t take sports fans seriously that cheer for individual star players. Isn’t that something you grow out of as a kid?

It's not the first time this has happened.   Gretzky going to LA did this.   He was bigger than the team, but also in an entirely different realm.   EDM lost to LA (Gretzky) the following year.   Then Messer (Messiah) won (without Coffey too) and that's the only other time, I re-call, players were briefly held in the same esteem.    Mario didn't do it by himself either.    Those teams were loaded.   And it's not like EDM didn't have some very special things going for them.   Paul Coffey for one.    Well, look what happened to their PK and their PP.  

McDavid doesn't come close to passing the eye test.   That's my issue with McDavid.   More than anything.   The only other time i've seen this was with Lidstrom.   Things got so much easier for him in the 2000's. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, tas said:

no, it's about empathizing and understanding. if I was mcdavid, I sure as hell wouldn't have gone out either, because I would have been in that room suffering with my teammates. 

Sometimes being a leader means having to do the thing that's difficult.  In the room, he could have stood up and said to the boys, "I gotta go do this.  It's for us."  Imagine what tone that sets for his teammates.  That's what strong leadership looks like.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

The problem with not accepting the Conn Smythe trophy is that it devalues it's purpose..Like 'fuck it' I'm too good for it..And that's how stupid trends start..

That's what I mentioned in my post.  It's snubbing the legends of the past. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah the current media love affair with McDavid is quite nauseating to be honest. Lumping him in with Gretzky and Lemieux is pretty disrespectful to those guys. Gretzky won 4 cups by age 27. Broke every scoring record.  8 Hart trophies in a row. Almost 1700 points. And he didn’t need the power play to pad his stats either. When healthy, Lemieux was almost as dominating. There was a short period where he was superior to Gretzky. 

McDavid is a great player no doubt. But he couldn’t lead his team to a cup. Quite frankly this series should have been over in 5 games. Florida choked for 3 games. And the Canucks would have beaten Edmonton with Demko and Boeser in game 7. 

I’ve never seen a team rely on the power play to score moreso than this Edmonton team. 5v5 they are not hard to beat. Game 7 proved that. No power play goals means they can only score one goal. So McDavid isn’t really McJesus after all. And quite frankly McDavid is mostly a perimeter player. I didn’t see him getting down and dirty at all in this series. And he’s 200 pounds. 

McDiver had the opportunity to be that superhero in game 7.   Even media was predicting he'd raise his game to even greater heights than the throne they had previously set him on.  I was even expecting more. Yet he had zero points in such an important moment in his career.  I was thinking I might be hate-watching him tear through defenses on his own and pot 2 or 3 by himself.  But we found out the emperor has no clothes. At the very least he doesn't wear a cape.

• Cheers 1

Just now, HKSR said:

Sometimes being a leader means having to do the thing that's difficult.  In the room, he could have stood up and said to the boys, "I gotta go do this.  It's for us."  Imagine what tone that sets for his teammates.  That's what strong leadership looks like.

that's not a case that requires it. nobody in that room was thinking about the conn smythe or it's inherent meaning. he'll be gracious about it going forward, I guarantee it, but at that point in time, literally the worst moment of all these guys' lives, you have to be understanding that he's entitle to his private moment to mourn what could have been with his brothers. 

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

"Gustav Forsling goes from being drafted twice and placed on waivers once to winning the Stanley Cup and being voted the playoffs' third most important player. Not many have made that journey."

image.jpeg

2 minutes ago, tas said:

that's not a case that requires it. nobody in that room was thinking about the conn smythe or it's inherent meaning. he'll be gracious about it going forward, I guarantee it, but at that point in time, literally the worst moment of all these guys' lives, you have to be understanding that he's entitle to his private moment to mourn what could have been with his brothers. 

Ok now I know you have McDavid pj's.

• Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, tas said:

That's completely your opinion.  Not fact.  Fact is that trophy was being presented, and as a leader of a franchise, an ambassador to the sport, and a role model for children of the game, there was only one right thing to do.  The fact he didn't do it was a selfish act.  Let's be real, he wasn't thinking about his teammates in that moment.  He didn't go out there because he was upset.  PERSONALLY upset.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 3

8 minutes ago, Darius said:

Funny  Jim Matheson, oilers homer, has no Panthers in his Conn Smythe voting....Puts Hyman in there.    Might as well let the fans vote if this guy gets to vote

Why is Skinner getting votes?   It was pretty clear it was McDavid Barkov Bobrovsky.   Can intertwine the latter two.   Maybe they should allow four votes instead.   

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, tas said:

Or he could be a real leader like Iginla & get his team to come out to give a proper sendoff for a rival (Linden).  McWhiner can have the individual trophies but he'll always be a loser.  In my opinion

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, tas said:

Mourn ? now your taking a comedic approach to your argument. That’s  hilarious. Even funnier than the console bit. 

Edited by Chon derry
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Ok now I know you have McDavid pj's.

search the forum for instances of me referring to mcdavid and you'll discover quite the opposite. I've stated repeatedly that I think he's a disgraceful face of the league. 

this is separate from that though. 

21 minutes ago, tas said:

crosby spent the first half of his career receiving all of the exact same whiner/diver accusations that mcdavid gets. yzerman was known as a failure until he changed his game. growing up, gretzky was synonymous with whining. 

Crosby was known as a whiner until he was about 22/23 years old, then he matured and became a well respected player. He was never known as a diver.

McDavid is 27, and is a known diver and whines at every opportunity he can. He hasn't matured in the same regard Crosby did, and those other guys did. He's still got a massive chip on his shoulder and cones across like he feels as if he is owed something.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Why is Skinner getting votes?   It was pretty clear it was McDavid Barkov Bobrovsky.   Can intertwine the latter two.   Maybe they should allow four votes instead.   

Heh, Mark Spector was one of the two idiots.

• ThereItIs 2

6 minutes ago, tas said:

So, would you want your son behaving that way?  

"Dad, I didn't win but they said I was great so I told the teachers and everyone else to f-off and ran home"

They have a whole summer to "suffer" - sorry, McBaby does NOT get a pass.  It was 5 minutes of his time - he didn't need to be in the dressing room at that moment. 
He's nothing but a sore loser - I'm surprised he even lined up the shake hands.

Best player of the playoffs?  How many bad games in the entire playoffs did Bobrovsky have?  3?  How many games did McDavid have ZERO points? 5? 6? 

When the cup was on the line - who was better?  

I say Bobrovsky.  

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That's completely your opinion.  Not fact.  Fact is that trophy was being presented, and as a leader of a franchise, an ambassador to the sport, and a role model for children of the game, there was only one right thing to do.  The fact he didn't do it was a selfish act.  Let's be real, he wasn't thinking about his teammates in that moment.  He didn't go out there because he was upset.  PERSONALLY upset.

I love that my opinion is only an opinion but your opinion is "the only right thing".

blow harder.