[SCF] Florida Panthers (A1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Panthers in 7
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

1 minute ago, Chickenspear said:

Does Grub Hub overcharge for delivery, and your food arrives cold? If so, then yes.

We get free grubhub membership with Amazon Prime in the US.  It's variable across the US, but in NYC it's pretty good. All those immigrants provide excellent service.  I'm usually generous with the tips. 

• Cheers 1

Thing about the Oilers is there's a lot working against them getting back to the final sooner than later.

Not only would McDavid probably need to replicate his ridiculous numbers, but the Oil would need to replicate their special teams as well.

Their PK in particular was nuts, Statmuse has their PK at 94.3 percent throughout the playoffs, a significant jump from their regular season total of 79.5 percent. Factor in the fact they scored 3 shorthanded goals and that suddenly looks even better. That's incredibly tough to replicate. 

Their PK was actually the best ever, for a cup finalist, if I'm not mistaken. 

https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/ask/highest-penalty-kill-percentage-in-season-in-history-of-nhl-playoffs

https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/ask/highest-nhl-penalty-kill-percentage-playoffs-this-year

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Thing about the Oilers is there's a lot working against them getting back to the final sooner than later.

Not only would McDavid probably need to replicate his ridiculous numbers, but the Oil would need to replicate their special teams as well.

Their PK in particular was nuts, Statmuse has their PK at 94.3 percent throughout the playoffs, a significant jump from their regular season total of 79.5 percent. Factor in the fact they scored 3 shorthanded goals and that suddenly looks even better. That's incredibly tough to replicate. 

Their PK was actually the best ever, for a cup finalist, if I'm not mistaken. 

https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/ask/highest-penalty-kill-percentage-in-season-in-history-of-nhl-playoffs

https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/ask/highest-nhl-penalty-kill-percentage-playoffs-this-year

of all the things I think the oilers can probably bank on its mcdavid and the powerplay. 

I think they will, however, lose important pieces and see regression from the bottom half of the roster and goaltending. they'll also lose the magical feeling they caught in a bottle this year and have to manufacture some other talisman to build around. knoblauch will also be exposed. 

they're (almost) one and done I think. 

5 minutes ago, tas said:

casual misogyny still gets laughs hey?

noun
  1. dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against women:
    "she felt she was struggling against thinly disguised misogyny"

3 minutes ago, Gurn said:
noun
  1. dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against women:
    "she felt she was struggling against thinly disguised misogyny"

whose benefit was this for?

5 minutes ago, tas said:

of all the things I think the oilers can probably bank on its mcdavid and the powerplay. 

I think they will, however, lose important pieces and see regression from the bottom half of the roster and goaltending. they'll also lose the magical feeling they caught in a bottle this year and have to manufacture some other talisman to build around. knoblauch will also be exposed. 

they're (almost) one and done I think. 

The old adage is that defense wins championships, the PK is a large piece of any team's defense. Yeah, the Oil may have a powerplay that's on the higher end for as long as McDavid's around, but teams typically don't go deep without a good penalty kill. 

Draisaitl and McDavid's next deals are looming in the not too distant future too, will the Oil be able to piece together a group that can put on this kind of defensive clinic again? 

Goaltending is voodoo too, will Skinner be able to maintain a high level of play long enough to reach another final? Lot of things have to go right, the Oil were almost there and they had a lot go right, but they couldn't get it done. This was without a doubt their best chance to get a cup and they came up just short. 

I expect they'll be in the playoffs next season, and a playoff regular going forward as they have been, but I'd be surprised if they made the final again sooner than later. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

While I'm glad that the Coil lost, I still am ambivalent about the cup being won in the state of Florida 3 times in the last 5 years, while entering our 55th and we have none...and I might be the only one who doesn't care or give a shit about 2011 tent folding, or 2007  "Potty Break" Luuuuuu

Edited by Sophomore Jinx
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I'd be embarrassed if Miller did that.

On the other hand JT might accept the Smythe trophy, thank his teammates for going to war with him and say that this is a team award, and then vow to win Lord Stanley’s Cup next year.

• ThereItIs 1

32 minutes ago, tas said:

well, for one, I live in alberta, and two, i read media from outside the vancouver market. 

Yeah, I lived there too, 6 years as a kid, and much later, 13 years as an adult (which was 12 years too long).

4 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Yeah, I lived there too, 6 years as a kid, and much later, 13 years as an adult (which was 12 years too long).

yeah it's certainly less than ideal.