[SCF] Florida Panthers (A1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Panthers in 7
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

I know this won't be a popular opinion, but I DGAF if McDavid went out to accept the Conn Smythe or not.

I've seen articles stating that the way to "fix" this problem is to only give the award to members of the winning team, but IMHO, the simple solution is to give it out at the end of the year, just like all the other awards.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I know this won't be a popular opinion, but I DGAF if McDavid went out to accept the Conn Smythe or not.

I've seen articles stating that the way to "fix" this problem is to only give the award to members of the winning team, but IMHO, the simple solution is to give it out at the end of the year, just like all the other awards.

Nah then you’re just robbing a moment from guys who win the cup and the Conn Smythe. That’s 99% of the people that win it.

Shouldn’t take away their moment cause one guy wouldn’t come out and accept it.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

x0f0x7kdr15b1.jpg

(the year his team lost in the Finals)

Its tough to take anything, when you've lost... but its the name of the game...

It separates the men from the wimps... integrity and guts... 

It takes guts to face the music, when you're down, and you lost, what you wanted the most...

It's easy to hide.... 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

It does solve the issue....

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Nah then you’re just robbing a moment from guys who win the cup and the Conn Smythe. That’s 99% of the people that win it.

Shouldn’t take away their moment cause one guy wouldn’t come out and accept it.

I don't see why you couldn't do both....:classic_unsure:

Anyway, I don't want to take away from people having fun with the McDavid bashing....

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I'm never that invested in the subjective awards, but for me, the idea of a most valuable player in a playoffs is one that gets you to victory and not just the best player. As such, I don't think a player from the losing side can be that player. But, traditionally it has always been mostly around the best player with goalies winning disproportionally more than any other position.

If they are open to it being someone on the losing side doing it as a presentation later makes some sense. In the moment, the cup is really what people focus on anyway.

As it stands though, I thought it was a bit disrespectful of McD not to accept it. Is it going to change my thinking of him? Nope, it seems very much in character.

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

the simple solution is for pissy pants crybabies not to stamp their feet because a guy didn't come out to accept a trophy just to appease their sensibilities. 

edit: (i really shouldn't have got back involved, promise this is my last post on the subject)

Edited by tas

2 minutes ago, tas said:

the simple solution is for pissy pants crybabies not to stamp their feet because a guy didn't come out to accept a trophy just to appease their sensibilities. 

I wouldn't say it quite that harshly, but I also believe that if it had been Bouchard or Hyman, there wouldn't be anywhere near this level of "outrage"....

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I wouldn't say it quite that harshly, but I also believe that if it had been Bouchard or Hyman, there wouldn't be anywhere near this level of "outrage"....

True - I think it is, in part, just a final straw to watching how he conducts himself. I wonder if over this off season he does some self-reflection and comes back as the leader he could actually be.

Just now, CanuckDownUnder said:

True - I think it is, in part, just a final straw to watching how he conducts himself. I wonder if over this off season he does some self-reflection and comes back as the leader he could actually be.

Anything is possible, but I wouldn't expect much change.

History will remember him in a better light, IMO. Everything that is being said about him right now was also said about Crosby and Gretzky back in the day....

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Anything is possible, but I wouldn't expect much change.

History will remember him in a better light, IMO. Everything that is being said about him right now was also said about Crosby and Gretzky back in the day....

I remember all of us yelling at the TV whenever a young Gretzky complained to the officials after what seemed like every whistle. He grew out of it and yes, not really part of his legacy now.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, DSVII said:

Underrated moment of the finals celebration, the guys from the 'spittin chickletts' podcast who were cheering the entire way like they were a part of the Oilers organization wearing their jerseys etc...getting told to F off when they tried to go on the ice to shake the panthers' hands.

FAFO Coiler fanboy.

Go shake hands with Connor  and his weepy teammates. 

Edited by PistolPete13
  • Haha 1

McDavid is being marketed and portrayed as the best this league has to offer. Rightfully so.  With that comes responsibility. 

As the NHL’s poster boy he should carry himself to a higher standard than would be expected of Hyman or Bouchard.

Phil Esposito faced far worse adversity in 1972 Vancouver after the Canadian team had been repeatedly trounced by the Soviets. Tens of thousands of people booed him off the ice and he returned to address them and accept his lumps. That was  true leadership and look what it brought about , Canada went on to victory and everlasting glory. 

McDavid couldn’t even accept an otherwise coveted award and the recognition it brings let alone his lumps.  

He is about to be eclipsed by Connar Bedard and this recent display of petulance will stain his career. 

• Vintage 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, CanuckDownUnder said:

Everyone around him and his fans were okay with no show McD. Only other hockey fans were upset by it .

To me it's a simple fix.

Give McDavid the biggest fine you can.Plus a three game suspension starting next year game one to three.

It robbed fans around the world and he is supposed to be the best player in the world and does such a selfish act.Plus the camera man for merch and cards got robbed.

Think about it ,it hurt more for the league then his feelings at the time.

Nonexcuses he should have been there to accept it.

• ThereItIs 2

54 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

To me it's a simple fix.

Give McDavid the biggest fine you can.Plus a three game suspension starting next year game one to three.

It robbed fans around the world and he is supposed to be the best player in the world and does such a selfish act.Plus the camera man for merch and cards got robbed.

Think about it ,it hurt more for the league then his feelings at the time.

Nonexcuses he should have been there to accept it.

thankfully the league isn't allowed to retroactively, arbitrarily, and unilaterally invent rules and punishments for violating them. 

Edited by tas