[SCF] Florida Panthers (A1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Panthers in 7
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

11 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Have been doing that this year.  Funny enough I got cable back for the playoffs and found the Roger's ignite to be less stable and less reliable than most of the streaming sites.  Goodbye cable.

when you get a chance, can you pm me the ones you like to use?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Reg said:

Bang on Robert. You've got to punish McDick and Drai each and every time they touch the puck. They need to be made to feel uncomfortable on a shift to shift basis. And if you are going to take a minor penalty on them make it worth while, just don't draw blood.

Personally I think Vancouver's biggest mistake was not targeting Leon in game 1 when he was clearly in distress. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

image.png.eb28b1f0e009d299d6d3b22797630c53.png

2014 draft finally played out 10 years later.

Nice one.... Maybe remind those, who complains when the picks aren't the best after 5-6 years... 

Its been mentioned lots of times, the peak for most aren't until 28-32years of age.

27 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Nice one.... Maybe remind those, who complains when the picks aren't the best after 5-6 years... 

Its been mentioned lots of times, the peak for most aren't until 28-32years of age.

I think people mistake point totals as necessarily 'prime' years.  To me, the player's prime years is when they are their most complete player.  Physically strongest, mentally strongest, defensively responsible, experienced in the game, etc.  When you look at a lot of the greatest players, their best offensive years are probably in their mid 20s, but the years when they generally are most competitive and complete as hockey players is in their late 20s to early 30s.  Sometimes it all lines up and their production also peaks then too (ie. JT Miller).

On 6/3/2024 at 8:14 AM, iinatcc said:

It's only hockey ... chill. People are allowed to have fun 

Not when Canadian media shows its true xenophobic and racist colours time and time again. F—- them and their hypocrisy. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I'd rather not think about it. There are 100% alts on this forum, but it's no skin off my ass. I think it's weird, but I don't judge people for how they get there freak on if it's not hurting anyone.

I only have one account but I could see using two, one for sober posting, one for drunk posting.

7 hours ago, Reg said:

Bang on Robert. You've got to punish McDick and Drai each and every time they touch the puck. They need to be made to feel uncomfortable on a shift to shift basis. And if you are going to take a minor penalty on them make it worth while, just don't draw blood.

Problem with that strategy is it's easier said than done.

Posted (edited)

Decided that my daughter and I are going to Edmonton Friday to attend the game 1 and 2 viewing parties then maybe to Banff, then back for game 5, then to see the dinos in Drumheller than back for game 7 if there is one.

Would be cool to be there if they win the Cup.

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Florida better over all forwards 

Florida much better D group

Florida better coaching

Florida more phyical

Florida goaltendering  is not comparable,

one  is a proven nhl superstar one is a glorified  back up that’s looked terrible. 
So mcbitch and dry must do everything including dive  and scream at the officials and post game beg for more calls. What else is new. 

fingers crossed it’s not a good series and the panthers blowout  this overrated oilers team. 
All the panthers need to do is hit and get shots and they'll  win .

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, HKSR said:

I think people mistake point totals as necessarily 'prime' years.  To me, the player's prime years is when they are their most complete player.  Physically strongest, mentally strongest, defensively responsible, experienced in the game, etc.  When you look at a lot of the greatest players, their best offensive years are probably in their mid 20s, but the years when they generally are most competitive and complete as hockey players is in their late 20s to early 30s.  Sometimes it all lines up and their production also peaks then too (ie. JT Miller).

Let's just hope not 😂... but yes you are likely right...

The idea is, when you build a team through the draft, it likely takes 7-8 years+ before those players can start to carry a team... and perhaps even longer before they can carry a finalist...

Hopefully folks will remember that, before calling the young men busts after a couple of seasons...

There are the very special talents, but they don't come around that often... 

Edited by spook007
spell check
  • Like 1

Article certainly seems written more for an US audience.   But I agree with Ian. 

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5538039/2024/06/05/edmonton-oilers-canada-nhl/?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Why the Oilers are not ‘Canada’s team’ in the Stanley Cup Final

Ian Mendes Jun 5, 2024

In the aftermath of the Edmonton Oilers clinching their spot in the Stanley Cup Final, the question to Connor McDavid on the podium was predictable.

Winnipeg, Vancouver and Toronto also had Stanley Cup aspirations this spring, but Edmonton is the last Canadian team standing. And so the question to the Oilers superstar was somewhat inevitable, as Edmonton is on the precipice of wiping out a Canadian Stanley Cup drought that has lasted more than three decades.

“Can you talk about being Canada’s team?” a reporter asked McDavid on Sunday evening. “Everybody coast to coast is cheering for the Oilers. Any added pressure with that?”

McDavid seamlessly stick-handled the question.

“We’re a Canadian team and we’ve got great Canadian fans,” responded McDavid. “And it feels good to maybe unite the country a little bit and bring people together.”

It’s a nice, easy narrative, isn’t it?

A hockey-obsessed nation that is starving for its championship trophy to rightfully be returned north of the border.

It’s a storyline repeatedly pushed by a Boston Pizza commercial that seems to play during every single TV timeout and intermission in these playoffs. The commercial opens by relaying the heartbreak of several Canadian teams since Montreal’s magical run to a Stanley Cup title in 1993.

Somebody has punched through drywall after Vancouver lost Game 7 to the Rangers in 1994.

A Toronto fan has thrown a plate through their television screen after losing to Carolina in the conference final.

An Oilers fan repeatedly runs over their flat-screen TV with a pickup truck following a second-round loss to Anaheim in 2017.

And a bitter Montreal fan tosses their AM radio to the ground after the Canadiens lost to Tampa in the Stanley Cup Final in 2021.

(The Flames’ and Senators’ runs to the Stanley Cup Final in 2004 and 2007 respectively were omitted from the commercial. But hey, there is only so much Canadian misery you can shoehorn into a 30-second spot.)

The message of the commercial is simple: Canadian NHL fans have only known bitter disappointment over the last 30 years. It’s time for hockey fans in this country to put aside their deep-rooted, historical rivalries and pull in the same direction.

As the commercial draws to a close, fans are gathered inside a Boston Pizza sports bar clad in merchandise that is just generic enough to skirt a trademark infringement suit from the NHL. But it’s clearly meant to show a Canucks fan and a Flames fan high-fiving at the bar. A Senators fan and a Canadiens fan standing side by side. An Oilers fan and a Leafs fan clinking full beer glasses together.

“A Canadian team hasn’t won the Stanley Cup in 30 years. Maybe it’s time to try something different,” the commercial urges. “This year, let’s team up with the fans we’ve always cheered against.”

This commercial and the reporter’s question to McDavid, however, are rooted in pure fantasy — not reality.

Will some casual hockey fans in Canada be pulling for the Oilers over the Panthers?

Absolutely.

Will some big NHL fans in this country be hoping that McDavid — the absolute best player of his generation — winds up with a Stanley Cup ring?

You bet.

But will the majority of die-hard hockey fans in this country be actively rooting for the Oilers as if they were cheering on their own team?

Forget it.

Sure, most Canadians want the Stanley Cup drought to end, but with a very important caveat: only if it happens for their favourite team. Otherwise, it’s just like watching your neighbour win the lottery. I suppose it’s nice for them, but what does it do for you?

Consider this social media poll from Sportsnet 650 in Vancouver after the two Stanley Cup Finalists were determined. Of the 1,531 people who cast a vote, more than 70 percent of them said they would be cheering for the Panthers. Only 16.4 percent said they would be actively rooting for Edmonton, while almost the same number (12.9 percent) said they would remain completely neutral.

And yes, Vancouver fans — who would have made up the vast majority of that poll  — might be bitter because Edmonton did eliminate them in the second round.

But that’s the whole point.

You cannot simply ask a Vancouver fan to temporarily suspend their hatred of an Edmonton team that just bounced them from the playoffs. Nor can you ask a Calgary fan to ignore decades of hatred and bitterness in the Battle of Alberta to suddenly pull for their provincial rival. In fact, Calgary fans have full permission to sit out this entire Stanley Cup Final.

The trifecta of Montreal-Toronto-Ottawa will never cheer for one another, and while Winnipeg always seems like the most likeable Canadian team, it’s not like they have forged a national identity of any kind.

It’s a ridiculous question we wrestle with each time a Canadian team is still alive after Victoria Day. Should we embrace the last Canadian team standing for the sake of national pride?

But the answer is always in plain sight.

Consider the backlash in Toronto when the CN Tower — the city’s most iconic building — was lit up in red, white and blue in the summer of 2021 to commemorate the Montreal Canadiens reaching the Stanley Cup Final.

That felt awkward and it created such a stir that a spokesperson for the CN Tower had to release a statement explaining, “It is a federally owned and operated property that belongs to all Canadians.”

When the Canucks were the last Canadian team standing in the COVID-19 bubble in the summer of 2020, our James Mirtle and Sean McIndoe had a fun and spirited debate over the idea of Vancouver being Canada’s team.

But to definitively settle this argument, we should compare the Oilers’ run to what the Toronto Raptors accomplished five years ago. When the Raptors went on their magical run to the NBA title in the summer of 2019, it felt like the entire country was galvanized. There were massive viewing parties being held all across Canada.

In Abbotsford, B.C., more than 1,500 fans turned up to watch Game 5 of the Raptors-Warriors series inside the Abbotsford Centre. At the opposite end of the country in the Maritimes, there were massive viewing parties for Raptors games in places like Halifax and Moncton.

That summer, Cineplex Odeon opened up 33 movie theatres across the country to show Raptors games on the big screen.

“Canadian fans are invited to unite and rally behind the Raptors as they face-off against the Golden State Warriors, live on the big screen,” their press release stated.

Surely, they must be doing the same for Canada’s team — the Edmonton Oilers — here in 2024, right?

Alas, a Cineplex Odeon spokesperson told The Athletic this week, “Currently, we are not scheduled to show the Stanley Cup Final series in theatres as cinema rights haven’t been granted.”

And maybe that’s a technicality on the “cinema rights” point, but it doesn’t feel like the Oilers would have the nationwide appeal of viewing parties in every major city.

We do that for massive Olympic events. The FIFA World Cup. And yes the Raptors and Toronto Blue Jays, because they are the only professional teams based in Canada in their respective sports.

But if there are massive outdoor viewing parties planned for Oilers games in Ottawa, Winnipeg and Toronto this month, I certainly haven’t heard of them.

So to our American friends who think we’re obsessed with getting our trophy back, please know that we haven’t put the country on pause waiting to see if the Oilers bring home the title. Not everybody on this side of the border is on pins and needles. We’re not like England waiting for a FIFA World Cup.

The only time we’re all definitively pulling on the same rope is when we’re cheering for Team Canada in national competitions. The Olympics matter to us and on that front, this country has accomplished a lot since 1993. A trio of Olympic gold medals on the men’s side is a pretty nice consolation prize during a prolonged Stanley Cup drought.

(And we’re not pointing any fingers, but we do know of a certain country to our south that hasn’t won a gold medal on the men’s side since 1980. Forty-four years is a pretty good drought too, FYI.)

An Oilers championship — while erasing a 31-year drought for a Canadian-based team — does nothing for any other fan base in this country. Cities like Ottawa, Vancouver and Winnipeg, who have never hoisted a Stanley Cup, don’t receive partial credit for an Oilers championship. And if anything, an Edmonton Stanley Cup championship will only further enrage Toronto fans, who are closing in on six decades without a title.

But if there is one reason we should be collectively pulling in Canada for an Oilers Stanley Cup this month, it would be to end this ridiculous notion that we’re all waiting for the Stanley Cup to come home.

And maybe if the Oilers win a Stanley Cup in June, we can put this whole “Canada’s Team” narrative to bed once and for all.

I wonder if Tocchet or PA/JR was one of the person he interview. 

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5540399/2024/06/05/stanley-cup-final-predictions-lebrun/?source=emp_shared_article

LeBrun: Stanley Cup Final predictions — surveying NHL coaches, execs on Oilers vs. Panthers

Pierre LeBrun Jun 5, 2024

Am I surprised most people are picking the Florida Panthers to beat the Edmonton Oilers in the Stanley Cup Final?

No. They’re favored, after all.

But I am surprised for sure that my survey of NHL head coaches and front-office executives was as lopsided toward the Panthers as it was. In all, I heard back from 17 head coaches and 16 team executives. Out of those 33 responses, only four had the Oilers winning the Cup.

Here are their responses, all via text message this week.

(Note: Some responses are edited lightly for clarity.)

Head coach No. 1

I’ve got the Panthers in seven.

Florida’s willingness and effectiveness on the forecheck will constantly apply pressure to Edmonton’s D, forcing mistakes.

The other thing that I’ll be watching for is Florida defending Edmonton’s rush game. Florida is much more aggressive with D gaps in the neutral zone than Dallas. They do such a good job of limiting your space in the neutral zone and don’t let you have clean entries. You either have to be willing to dump pucks in and forecheck consistently or they will turn you over and transition the other way.

X-factors in the series:

• Stuart Skinner. Igor Shesterkin was phenomenal against the Panthers. Can Skinner perform close to that level?

• How the games are officiated will be huge. Are we looking at a series with two power plays per game for each team or five?

If it’s the latter, Edmonton can obviously excel.

Head coach No. 2

Very excited about this series. I think it’s a mismatch. We played Florida before the trade deadline, and I knew it was the best team in the league, with some separation on other top contenders.

Championship-caliber center depth. Best in the league with Aleksander Barkov, Sam Bennett and Anton Lundell. All heavier-type centers, too, which is made for playoffs. They also have got that “swagger” level. No situation rattles them. They expect to win now. Add in the solid D core and Sergei Bobrovsky being back to top echelon and this is a wagon.

You can never count out Edmonton with two of the best players in the world. Skinner could definitely get lightning in a bottle. I didn’t have Edmonton beating Dallas, so there you go.

I see Florida winning this series in similar fashion to how they beat the Rangers. Wasn’t a blowout, and the Rangers definitely had their chances, but you could see all along Florida was a class ahead of New York. Like any competitive coach … I will be jealous it’s someone else in the end.

But I am rooting for Florida because they nailed the roster. Gustav Forsling off waivers, got Carter Verhaeghe for nothing. Bennett and Tkachuk trades. Along with the home-grown pieces. Built a wagon. Have to tip your hat.

Head coach No. 3

Panthers in six.

Better depth.

Have the ability to check Edmonton’s top guys and create havoc on Edmonton’s breakouts.

Went through the long layoff before the Final last season and will be better prepared to handle that this time around.

In a nutshell, they’re just a more mature team this playoff season.

Head coach No. 4

Gotta go with Florida. Deep, physical, skilled, as well. Their physical depth will help contain McDavid and Draisaitl. They’ve been there before, as well, which will help. Plus they have the edge in goaltending.

Many coaches and execs pointed to Sergei Bobrovsky as part of the reason they picked the Panthers. (Joel Auerbach / Getty Images)

Head coach No. 5

Florida. Bigger, stronger, faster, deeper. They check all the boxes.

Head coach No. 6

I have Florida. I think forward depth will be the difference. Although, I had Dallas against Edmonton and thought forward depth would be the difference! Also, with Florida’s experience losing last year, they have more of an edge this year.

Head coach No. 7

Florida, due to its ability to wear a team down over the course of a series. They make you earn every foot of ice and especially in your own end. Very hard on the defensemen, centers and a goalie over time.

Look at their offensive-zone time possession numbers versus opponents.

Florida does give up odd-man rushes, and the Oilers can finish off the rush really well.

Head coach No. 8

I think this will be a terrific series. Both teams have high-end skill and depth, but I think I will give the nod to Florida. They are playing a great team game right now, they do not give up much at all, and they have the ability to play any style (i.e. nasty when needed). I also think last year’s experience in the Final will serve them well.

Head coach No. 9

Well, your guess is as good as mine, but I was really impressed with the Oilers in the Dallas series. If they can play like that, they are going to give themselves a chance. Especially if Florida isn’t extremely disciplined. That being said, I think the Panthers get it done. They are relentless and physical through four lines. I think they’ll be able to wear down the Oilers and spend enough time in their zone to keep chipping away at scoring chances. I also think with home ice and the better goalie they have the edge.

Head coach No. 10

I think Florida will win. They are deep, hard to play against and last year’s experience will help. Also, I think they have the penalty kill, goaltending and players that can match up against Edmonton’s top players. Florida is hard to win a series against because they just pound you physically and it seems like teams wear down as series go on.

Head coach No. 11

Panthers in six games.

Florida’s depth and willingness to play physical every game will wear down Edmonton’s defense. Plus they are really good at getting numbers to the net.

Discipline is a key to the Panthers’ success, though. Can’t give Edmonton four or five power plays a game.

I think the more physical team wins.

Head coach No. 12

Florida in six.

• Big physical team that doesn’t stop coming at you throughout a series.

• Shot volume team that puts extended pressure on your goalie and defensive-zone time.

• Lessons learned from last year’s loss.

(On Edmonton’s side is their PP, which terrifies every PK coach out there. It was the difference in the last few games against Dallas. Plus they have McDavid.)

Head coach No. 13

Florida. Balanced attack. Strong defense. Solid goaltending. And very good special teams.

Head coach No. 14

Panthers. The pace that Florida plays at and the depth they have throughout the lineup will cause problems in a long series. Consistent goaltending favors Florida.

Head coach No. 15

Florida. They will bully Edmonton. They are hard and they’ve been there.

It will be a very good Stanley Cup Final.

Florida’s PK is real good. They will be a challenge.

Head coach No. 16

Florida. Depth and new-found discipline! They can’t let Edmonton on the power play like they did with the Rangers, though — 15 penalties in 6 games, that’s pretty good.

Head coach No. 17

I think Edmonton will win. It’s time. McDavid looks unstoppable. Their PK is excellent and the goalie is getting better.

Connor McDavid “looks unstoppable” this postseason, one exec says. (Curtis Comeau / Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

Team exec No. 1

Edmonton in seven games.

I really like Florida. No surprise they are back in the Final. No major weaknesses. An excellent “team.”

I just can’t bet against McDavid. The Oilers have a feel similar to the 2016 Penguins when Sullivan took over midseason.

Team exec No. 2

Florida in six. Their blend of heaviness and skill will be hard to overcome, and they’re tested. Going through the run last season will have them better prepared.

Matthew Tkachuk and Barkov are a great complement to each other. Edmonton has the best player in the world, though, and one who isn’t too far off, so I’m not 100 percent comfortable in my prediction. McDavid and Draisaitl are hard to pick against. Zach Hyman and Sam Reinhart is an awesome secondary storyline with the parallels of being 50-goal scorers while the big dogs get most of the credit.

Bobrovsky has the edge over Skinner, and their D corps are fairly close. I also don’t think Edmonton’s PK can keep killing every single penalty, but that’s been impressive.

Great matchup overall. But I give the edge to Florida because of experience and the goaltending.

Team exec No. 3

Tough call to make. I will go with Florida because of the goaltending and Barkov, who I believe can make a difference versus the two-headed monsters. But still … tough call.

Team exec No. 4

Florida. It has the edge at five-on-five, in forward depth, the D-corps and goaltending.

Obviously, special teams goes to Edmonton. Florida will have to be more careful with penalty minutes.

Team exec No. 5

Florida.

Best balanced team. Able to play any type of game. They have more skill than they let on and are more than willing to do whatever is required at the time, including crossing the line.

And they have the goalie, which is different from getting good goaltending.

Team exec No. 6

Florida. I think they win convincingly. They have proven all season long they can beat you any way, and right now they are on top of their game. This is a good matchup for them too. To top it off, they will have learned a lot from making it this far last year and will be ready to finish the job this year.

Team exec No. 7

This will be a fast-paced, up-tempo series with a tremendous amount of star power on both sides. Each team has the individual components that typify Stanley Cup champions: superlative skill up front, grinding physical depth forwards, dynamic defensemen and mercurial goaltending.

It’s going to be an extremely hard-fought series that will go to six or seven games.

In the end, I believe Florida will prevail. They were there last year and learned that you have to learn to lose before you learn to win. It’s their time now …

Team exec No. 8

Florida in 6. The Panthers’ overall physicality will push them over the Oilers. The edge goes to Florida in goaltending, as well. Florida’s forwards will wear down Edmonton’s defense and will capitalize on the turnovers.

Team exec No. 9

Wow. Like always, two great teams. Both with impressive series wins over the past six weeks. Love Florida. Plays nasty, checks, and scores timely goals. Can play it any way. Has all that plus arguably the best goalie in the business.

But I’m picking Edmonton in a long series. The PK is unreal, and the PP, well, everyone knows about that. Bringing guys in and out of the lineup. Checking with speed. Lots going their way right now.

And McDavid.

Team exec No. 10

Florida, based on experience from last year and overall lineup balance and competitiveness.

Team exec No. 11

Florida.

Too deep. Too heavy. Great goaltending, and they get depth scoring.

But with that said. two words give the Oil a chance:

Connor McDavid.

But Florida in six is my call.

Team exec No. 12

My head wants me to say Florida … and they will be tough to beat, but McDavid looks like he will not be denied! Oilers in six.

Team exec No. 13

Florida because of its depth at every position and attention to detail.

Team exec No. 14

Florida in seven.

Home ice. Physical style — Dallas was not physical at all. And goaltending.

Team exec No. 15

I’m going to say Florida in six. I have been very impressed with the Panthers’ ability to completely commit to their identity and team game on a nightly basis, seemingly regardless of the score. I think their depth up front and their ability to hang on to pucks and wear teams down, particularly an opponent’s defense corps, will ultimately be the difference. Moreover, I think they have an advantage in net, though obviously Skinner has played well since coming back in for Edmonton.

I give the Oilers full credit for the run they’ve put together and wouldn’t be surprised at all if McDavid, Draisaitl and Co., were able to push through, but to me Florida has the edge coming into the series.

Team exec No. 16

Florida in six games. Too much depth and more predictable goaltending (which can change from game to game), and they were there last year …

But, if Evander Kane can play and is anywhere near his level, that can cause problems for Florida, especially for Matthew Tkachuk, as we have seen with the Edmonton and Calgary rivalry.

Bob has been excellent, but like any goalie now, he can throw a stinker out there, as Skinner does — but Skinner’s last game was the best of his life, and if he can throw that out there the next two weeks …

Yet this should be one of the most compelling Finals, just because McDavid represents everything that makes winning the Cup so good. It doesn’t happen quickly for most, and that’s why it’s hard and the hardest trophy to win.

On 6/3/2024 at 1:20 PM, nuckin_futz said:
So either the Florida Panthers become the first team since the 77-78 Boston Bruins to lose consecutive Stanley Cup Final appearances.
OR
Corey Perry loses in his fourth Stanley Cup Final appearance in five years with four different teams
and Edmonton fails to kill the Canadian curse
while losing in their last two Stanley Cup Final
appearances (06 and possibly 24)
What more could you want?
This is going to be great Final
for everyone except for Florida and Edmonton fans!!
This is going to be 4-7 games of living hell for you.

**** Stolen from Facebook

08df8f5e-3d0e-467d-8de1-03fe4d4f9310-tex

One thing to consider is that both teams had the same length of layoffs. 

I honestly felt that The Panthers having such a long layover last season in comparison to Vegas did them a lot of harm. 

So there won't be such disadvantage for Florida this time around 

17 hours ago, DSVII said:

Poor Bills catching strays

Yeah, first Gadzic slagging my hockey team and now Knob Lock slagging my football team....:classic_angry:

Like I needed another reason to hope for an Oilers loss....

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, spook007 said:

Is it normal they have this long between series?

This is the longest gap that I can recall.

I think it will hurt the ratings, which would be ironic, because the delay is totally due to tv rights holders.

Too many american stations with the NBA playoffs taking precedent.

Full on beta move, acknowledging the NBA as the bigger brother.

• Thanks 1