[Specualtion] Canucks Rumors: Latest on Teddy Blueger's Future in Vancouver

Canucks Rumors: Latest on Teddy Blueger's Future in Vancouver

Michael DeRosa Monday, June 03, 2024

The Vancouver Canucks have several free agents heading into the offseason. As a result of this, they are gearing up to make some major decisions with their roster. One of their top free agents is Teddy Blueger, and he will get a good amount of attention if he hits the market because of his solid two-way game. 

However, there is a chance that he could stay with the Canucks. According to NHL insider David Pagnotta, the Canucks have shown interest in re-signing Blueger and will resume contract talks with the veteran forward later in June. 

The Canucks have a lot of decisions to make, so Blueger returning the club is not set in stone. However, it is clear that the Canucks will try to keep him around if they can, but they also have other notable unrestricted free agents like Elias Lindholm, Nikita Zadorov, Tyler Myers, Dakota Joshua, and Sam Lafferty.

If the Canucks cannot sign Blueger by July 1, he will get a lot of attention in free agency. This is because he is a quality bottom-six forward who provides offense and plays a strong defensive game. In 68 games this season with the Canucks, he had six goals, 28 points, and a plus-4 rating.

We will now need to wait and see what happens with Blueger and the Canucks this summer from here. 

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/06/canucks-rumors-latest-on-teddy-bluegers.html

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Good, I'd like to see him get a 2 or 3 year deal this time.

I’d give him 4 yrs with a low a cap hit as possible 

ex : he signed for 1.9 last yr 

he prob wants in the 2-2.5 range on a 2 yr contract …

1.33 x 4 could be good 

Just now, canucks curse said:

1.33 x 4 could be good 

I would be quite surprised if he went for 1.3.  4 years 9-10 mil total contract tho I can see happening.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Good, I'd like to see him get a 2 or 3 year deal this time.

Agreed. Teddy B. has a good attitude and is a low maintenance, team player.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Joshua has likely priced himself out of Vancouver, so the next best thing is to bring back Blueger to play with Garland on the 3rd line.  I'd put Podkolzin on that line and groom him into a long term Dakota Joshua.

I think this is exactly the plan. Even if Teddy gets a small salary bump, we'll save money with Podz. Podz should improve over the course of a season too, if he gets the same kind of attention Joshua got. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I think this is exactly the plan. Even if Teddy gets a small salary bump, we'll save money with Podz. Podz should improve over the course of a season too, if he gets the same kind of attention Joshua got. 

Yup, and go bargain shopping to find another Joshua type player as a project on the 4th line.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I'm surprised, tbh. I feel like he's one of the more replaceable UFAs we have. I like him though, so I wouldn't be disappointed to see him back.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I love how everyone thinks it is so easy to just go out and replace Joshua.
Oh yeah, one of those on every street corner. 

We not only really need him back but we need Podz to come into that role and need to add another PF on top of that. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Got to find a way to make Podz meaner. He’s solid and if he gains enough self-confidence he could be such a boost to the club even just as a physical presence on the walls 

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

29 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I love how everyone thinks it is so easy to just go out and replace Joshua.
Oh yeah, one of those on every street corner. 

We not only really need him back but we need Podz to come into that role and need to add another PF on top of that. 

Josh is getting 4 million a year. Not easy to replace but not easy to retain eitherv

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, canucks curse said:

1.33 x 4 could be good 

I would do that deal. It's tradeable  and can be buried in the minors

Edited by fuzzy

35 minutes ago, Devron said:

Josh is getting 4 million a year. Not easy to replace but not easy to retain eitherv

If he gets that it won't be here. Then I wish him good luck and good fortune.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

He was definitely more replaceable but if they keep Blueger I think it means Lindholm's talks are surely done. I wouldn't mind bringing Teddy back on the cheap but we should go and get another center then like Roslovic.

I worry we'll go into next season with Miller - Petey - Blueger - Aman as our centers (Suter will surely play wing) and go and try and find a scoring winger to help Petey.

Just now, DownUndaCanuck said:

He was definitely more replaceable but if they keep Blueger I think it means Lindholm's talks are surely done. I wouldn't mind bringing Teddy back on the cheap but we should go and get another center then like Roslovic.

I worry we'll go into next season with Miller - Petey - Blueger - Aman as our centers (Suter will surely play wing) and go and try and find a scoring winger to help Petey.

I don’t think it has anything to do with Lindholm, they want to be one of the strongest teams up the middle. We are just gonna have to hope guys like Hoglander and Podkolzin take another step on the wings 

• ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, Devron said:

I don’t think it has anything to do with Lindholm, they want to be one of the strongest teams up the middle. We are just gonna have to hope guys like Hoglander and Podkolzin take another step on the wings 

Hate to say it but this is a make or break year for Podz imho. Man I hope he takes it to the next level. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Blueger is one of our better PKers. Makes sense to bring him back, I actually like him more than Suter. He'd probably be cheaper than retaining Joshua too at a more valuable position. Blueger had 28 points just 1 shy of Suter's 29, but Blueger didn't get the favourable deployment Suter got. Who was used with Miller and Petey at times. This will be a huge year for Podz. He's gotta prove he can be a meaningful regular on the team. Taking Joshua's spot alongside Garly and Blueger would be a huge opportunity to prove he can be a middle 6 player.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

I would love to keep blueger and sign motte to play his wing with Eric Robinson on the other side that would give us a 4th line with tons of energy and physicality for roughly 4 million 

I suspect they want to keep the 4th line as cheap as possible

I think one of the major reason of our success this season is we have multiple players on bargain contracts playing well in the bottom 6 to provide solid team depth. It is up to management staff (which I have confidence of) to find these players again. We love Joshua and what he brings to the team. He is a power forward who plays a hard-nose game and help provide timely depth scoring for the team. However, we must bring him back at a reasonable caphit, and the moment he or anyone else gets overpaid, we can see ourselves go back to Beagle/Roussel/Eriksson territory again.

Podkolzin to me is the most likely candidate to be a Joshua replacement. Everyone has to remember that before his breakout season, Joshua's stats in the AHL is very comparable to Podkolzin's. Podkolzin also had a 14 goal rookie season back in 2021-22. I think he has the potential of a breakout season like Hoglander had this season. Pod is still young and him breaking out could be exactly what we need to replace the offense that Joshua brings to the team.

The harder element to replace is the tenacity and grit that Joshua brings to the roster. If management can find Joshua 2 years ago, there is no reason to believe there isn't already a player or multiple players they have on their list who could be a potential Joshua replacement.

It is up to our professional scouts and development staff to keep the team competitive by developing and finding these hidden gems. It is going to be hard, and not every player is going to be a hit.

One thing we know from our past is, we cannot overpay players in the bottom 6. Because that's what led to our downfall the last time.

• Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Not something I would worry about. There seems to be a notable amount of people here who don't appreciate what Blueger brought to the table this season in Vancouver. It is very important to get him extended here. You can find a multi year deal around $ 2 million per. He can play third line, 4th line and PK. He is quite valuable to the team. I also like his maybe underrated edge or physicality. 

Have been satisfied with Aman's progress. He started to figure things out more as the season went on. I think he will be an option for the club moving forward. One of those cheaper younger players the team will utilize to fill out the roster.

Until we see a signing I am just assuming Lindholm is a 50/50 on extending ( Captain obvious I know ) in Vancouver but if he wants an opportunity to be a top centre in another market that will present itself with a higher AAV but less term I would suspect than Vancouver can offer. Lindholm and Blueger are separate here, one does not require the other to walk.

18 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

I suspect they want to keep the 4th line as cheap as possible

It’s all about distributing mins if you have a super competent 4th line they can play 10-12 mins a game if you cheap out they can play 7-8 mins a game