[Specualtion] Canucks Rumors: Latest on Teddy Blueger's Future in Vancouver

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

I love how everyone thinks it is so easy to just go out and replace Joshua.
Oh yeah, one of those on every street corner. 

We not only really need him back but we need Podz to come into that role and need to add another PF on top of that. 

Podz needs to toughen up and start scoring if he wants to play on the 3rd line.  They could pick

up a UFA for a little more than Podz salary, who can play with toughness and offence (Riemsdyk).

With the prospects starting to be ready to make the team, Blue would be a good addition with term,

but a lesser $.  1.5mx4 would be great.

Also, I hope that Suter can support the bottom 6 as well.  The team needs solid Cs in the bottom

6 if they want to bring up a rookie.  Raty/Aman  Suter  Pods

If they could fit in UFA Monohan (3mx2yr) alongside JT and Brock

Sean has finally come back from his injury and looks like he's ready to play.

He's a good playmaker, who would provide a lot of opportunities to JT's line.

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Joshua has likely priced himself out of Vancouver, so the next best thing is to bring back Blueger to play with Garland on the 3rd line.  I'd put Podkolzin on that line and groom him into a long term Dakota Joshua.

424335.thumb.webp.1385cbf1b0efba6c9131f2691c6e5a96.webp

5 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

It’s all about distributing mins if you have a super competent 4th line they can play 10-12 mins a game if you cheap out they can play 7-8 mins a game 

I think you also have to take into account that they have a bunch of prospects on the cusp who are gonna be pushing for bottom 6 spots and in order to have money for offensive help in the top 6 savings have to happen elsewhere. We got an older forward prospect pool most of which have been in the AHL.

It is a balancing act though. Cementing the bottom 6 Cs with vets and and letting the youngster wingers hash it out for the spots on the wing probably best balance. 

Garland-Blueger-???

???-Suter/UFA/???-???

???= guys like Hog/Pod/Karlsson/PDG/McDonagh/Bains/Sasson/etc

Could have cap leftover to sign some bottom 6 help too depending how the off-season plays out. 

8 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Podz needs to toughen up and start scoring if he wants to play on the 3rd line.  They could pick

up a UFA for a little more than Podz salary, who can play with toughness and offence (Riemsdyk).

With the prospects starting to be ready to make the team, Blue would be a good addition with term,

but a lesser $.  1.5mx4 would be great.

Also, I hope that Suter can support the bottom 6 as well.  The team needs solid Cs in the bottom

6 if they want to bring up a rookie.  Raty/Aman  Suter  Pods

If they could fit in UFA Monohan (3mx2yr) alongside JT and Brock

Sean has finally come back from his injury and looks like he's ready to play.

He's a good playmaker, who would provide a lot of opportunities to JT's line.

Monahan will be pricier than 3m. Put up almost 60 points was 55% on the draws and took a ton.

He could get double 3 with how the C FA market is shaping up. Besides Lindholm/Monahan there isn't much unless you okay with going older.

2 hours ago, canucks curse said:

I’d give him 4 yrs with a low a cap hit as possible 

ex : he signed for 1.9 last yr 

he prob wants in the 2-2.5 range on a 2 yr contract …

1.33 x 4 could be good 

I don’t see him taking a paycut, and definitely not a 30% one. 

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think you also have to take into account that they have a bunch of prospects on the cusp who are gonna be pushing for bottom 6 spots and in order to have money for offensive help in the top 6 savings have to happen elsewhere. We got an older forward prospect pool most of which have been in the AHL.

It is a balancing act though. Cementing the bottom 6 Cs with vets and and letting the youngster wingers hash it out for the spots on the wing probably best balance. 

Garland-Blueger-???

???-Suter/UFA/???-???

???= guys like Hog/Pod/Karlsson/PDG/McDonagh/Bains/Sasson/etc

Could have cap leftover to sign some bottom 6 help too depending how the off-season plays out. 

Yes for sure, I feel like podkolzin will be a full timer next year not sure we have any other prospects ready to take the leap quite yet karlsson and raty are close but injuries are bound to happen the more depth the better, bottom 6 to start the season having hoglander podkolzin suter blueger motte and either a cheap ufa or and prospect is exactly what I feel is needed as well, not sure if you watched the Tampa Florida series but motte is just as affective as I remember him and feel like he enjoyed his time in Vancouver even when we were bad could see him coming in around 1 million 

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

It’s all about distributing mins if you have a super competent 4th line they can play 10-12 mins a game if you cheap out they can play 7-8 mins a game 

I'm ok with that. If our top 2 lines play 20 min each, 3rd line 10-15 min, 4th 5-10 min. 

1 minute ago, Captain insano said:

Yes for sure, I feel like podkolzin will be a full timer next year not sure we have any other prospects ready to take the leap quite yet karlsson and raty are close but injuries are bound to happen the more depth the better, bottom 6 to start the season having hoglander podkolzin suter blueger motte and either a cheap ufa or and prospect is exactly what I feel is needed as well, not sure if you watched the Tampa Florida series but motte is just as affective as I remember him and feel like he enjoyed his time in Vancouver even when we were bad could see him coming in around 1 million 

I know he won't make the team this year but I'm excited to see if McDonough is going to come in again and show some improvements. He scored a couple nice goals last time he was up during preseason. I am rooting for him to surprise people and eventually be a good player for the Canucks. Decent size and hands, maybe a future winger for Petey if all goes right

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, canucks curse said:

I’d give him 4 yrs with a low a cap hit as possible 

ex : he signed for 1.9 last yr 

he prob wants in the 2-2.5 range on a 2 yr contract …

1.33 x 4 could be good 

hes not taking a pay cut. giving "term" at a below value salary, but still inside the players prime earning years isnt an incentive

itll be around 2.5. hopefully we can lock him up for 3-4 years at that. 

41 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

I think one of the major reason of our success this season is we have multiple players on bargain contracts playing well in the bottom 6 to provide solid team depth. It is up to management staff (which I have confidence of) to find these players again. We love Joshua and what he brings to the team. He is a power forward who plays a hard-nose game and help provide timely depth scoring for the team. However, we must bring him back at a reasonable caphit, and the moment he or anyone else gets overpaid, we can see ourselves go back to Beagle/Roussel/Eriksson territory again.

Podkolzin to me is the most likely candidate to be a Joshua replacement. Everyone has to remember that before his breakout season, Joshua's stats in the AHL is very comparable to Podkolzin's. Podkolzin also had a 14 goal rookie season back in 2021-22. I think he has the potential of a breakout season like Hoglander had this season. Pod is still young and him breaking out could be exactly what we need to replace the offense that Joshua brings to the team.

The harder element to replace is the tenacity and grit that Joshua brings to the roster. If management can find Joshua 2 years ago, there is no reason to believe there isn't already a player or multiple players they have on their list who could be a potential Joshua replacement.

It is up to our professional scouts and development staff to keep the team competitive by developing and finding these hidden gems. It is going to be hard, and not every player is going to be a hit.

One thing we know from our past is, we cannot overpay players in the bottom 6. Because that's what led to our downfall the last time.

Well said. 

5 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

I could see them adding a 4th line winger. They already got Garland and potentially Bleuger taking that 3rd line spot. Suter/etc and a vet 4th line guy could take that 4th line spot.

Then you got youngsters fighting for a 3rd winger, 4th winger and 13th forward spot. They had a bunch of guys have good seasons in Abbotsford. Karlsson even got some playoff games in Van and Tocchet always speaks highly of him. 

I think they should bring in a couple credible middle 6 wingers for the top 6. Lots of guys in that 45-55 point range in FA. Could get a couple of those for the price of 1 of the top UFA forwards or even a bit under.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I'm not sold on Podz yet either.

Edited by AlexanderM

57 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Hate to say it but this is a make or break year for Podz imho. 

Maybe,  maybe not.  Joshua for example,  who is a major topic of discussion around here, didn't 'break out' until this year when he was 27yo and had almost 200 pro games under his belt.  Pods is only 22yo and has similar amount of pro games but his NHL experience has been, imo, very limited in the sense of meaningful ice time.  As we know,  players like Pods (hopefully a power forward in the making), often are one of the slowest developing assets, it'd be a real shame to give up on him too early.  I think he took legitimate steps to becoming a regular NHL player in Abby this season.   I suppose time will tell though. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Maybe,  maybe not.  Joshua for example,  who is a major topic of discussion around here, didn't 'break out' until this year when he was 27yo and had almost 200 pro games under his belt.  Pods is only 22yo and has similar amount of pro games but his NHL experience has been, imo, very limited in the sense of meaningful ice time.  As we know,  players like Pods (hopefully a power forward in the making), often are one of the slowest developing assets, it'd be a real shame to give up on him too early.  I think he took legitimate steps to becoming a regular NHL player in Abby this season.   I suppose time will tell though. 

Like your post says though Joshua had almost 200 pro games. 
Not saying Podz won’t do it, just unsure at this point that it’ll be here. Hope so

3 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

He was a huge part of our much improved pk, I'm fine with locking that up if he's not too expensive.

So, for a lot of the season, our PK kind of sucked, IMO. It kicked in in the playoffs once Lindholm was back healthy. I wouldn't mind seeing Blueger back, but would be completely good with us going a different route. Personally, I think Tanev would have a much bigger impact.

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, for a lot of the season, our PK kind of sucked, IMO. It kicked in in the playoffs once Lindholm was back healthy. I wouldn't mind seeing Blueger back, but would be completely good with us going a different route. Personally, I think Tanev would have a much bigger impact.

It was average, it didn't suck........which is a huge improvement over the year before.  

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

It was average, it didn't suck........which is a huge improvement over the year before.  

I might have over spoken about how it was, but I would like to see it top 5, and personally I don't think Blueger gets us there. 

Assuming he can be had for a slight raise, IE mid-2s,  Bleuger is a no-brainer for me.  

Having a Suter-Bleuger safety net for the bottom 6 Cs is still a position of strength and both add a lot of versatility / utility. 

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

Joshua has likely priced himself out of Vancouver, so the next best thing is to bring back Blueger to play with Garland on the 3rd line.  I'd put Podkolzin on that line and groom him into a long term Dakota Joshua.

Podkolzin    Blueger    Garland

Would be a good 3rd line IMO.  Sign Blueger to a 2x3 deal, then we have only $8 million tied up on the 3rd line.  If we sign Lindholm he can play with Petey as our 2C...

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

Blueger is ok… but not really much more than filler.  We can probably find another veteran on a cheap contract.

No more overpaying bottom half players.

When you look at all the line combinations, it was Garland that was driving that line and whenever he was played.  When you took Joshua or Blueger away from Garland they didn’t produce.  If you took Garland away from those guys he still produced.

Edited by Provost