[Speculation] Hurricanes Rumors: Jake Guentzel Likely to Hit Market, Rights available for mid round pick  

Posted (edited)

Here we go…

Hurricanes Rumors: Jake Guentzel Likely to Hit Market 

Michael DeRosa Monday, June 03, 2024

Jake Guentzel is one of the top free agents heading into the 2024 NHL Offseason. The Carolina Hurricanes, naturally, are hoping to get him re-signed this offseason, but it is certainly not set in stone at this juncture that this will occur. 

According to NHL insider David Pagnotta, sources have informed that Guentzel "probably goes to July 1" and will test the market. However, he also noted that Guentzel has not shut the door on re-signing with the Hurricanes even with him likely hitting the market this summer. 

With Guentzel being one of the best players from this year's free agency class, it would be understandable if he decided to listen to offers from other clubs in addition to the Hurricanes. At 29 years old, he is right in his prime, and this is his ultimate chance to get the biggest deal possible. 

Guentzel is coming off of an excellent contract year, as he had 30 goals to go along with 77 points in 67 games. He also added four goals to go along with nine points and a plus-4 rating in 11 playoff games. As a result of this, he is gearing up for a big payday. 

It will now be very interesting to see what happens with Guentzel from here. If he does in fact hit the free agent market on July 1, the Hurricanes, Pittsburgh Penguins, Vancouver Canucks, Chicago Blackhawks, and Boston Bruins could be in the mix. 

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/06/hurricanes-rumors-jake-guentzel-likely.html

Jake Guentzel Likely To Test Free Agency

June 3rd, 2024 at 10:00am CST • By Josh Erickson

Hurricanes winger Jake Guentzel, nearly universally viewed as the second-best pending unrestricted free agent available, will likely still be on the market when July 1 hits, David Pagnotta of The Fourth Period reports.

The possibility of returning to Carolina after the market opens hasn’t been ruled out, but he’s expected to look at other offers and potential fits around the league. His camp has had extensive extension talks with the Hurricanes since their season ended in the second round last month, but their richest offer evidently isn’t enough to keep him from at least window-shopping elsewhere.

Despite missing around a month due to injury, the 29-year-old is arguably coming off the best season of his career. After yet again putting up over a point per game on Sidney Crosby‘s wing with the Penguins, Guentzel exploded after the move to Carolina, recording eight goals and 25 points in his final 17 regular-season games. He remained excellent in postseason play, tying for third on the team in scoring with nine points (four goals, five assists) in 11 games while logging the third-most ice time among forwards behind Sebastian Aho and Seth Jarvis.

Guentzel also positively influenced the Hurricanes’ already strong possession game. With him on the ice at even strength, the Hurricanes controlled 60.2% of shot attempts, 1.5% higher than their shot attempt share without him. The 2013 third-round pick also had a positive relative possession impact in all eight of his seasons in Pittsburgh.

He also hit the 30-goal mark for the third straight season and the fourth time in his career overall. While his market value won’t eclipse Panthers pending UFA winger Sam Reinhart, who’s coming off a career-best 57 goals, he’s undoubtedly a safer signing with a long track record of point-per-game play under his belt. His short stint thus far in Carolina certainly boosts his value, proving he can still produce elite numbers away from one of the game’s all-time greats.

Former Hurricanes GM Don Waddell managed to acquire Guentzel from the Penguins without parting with a first-round pick, but he did surrender solid complementary winger Michael Bunting and a trio of prospects with NHL ceilings. His value on the open market could very well eclipse the $9.5MM mark on a max-term deal, though.

That’s money the Hurricanes’ interim management group of AGMs Eric Tulsky, Darren Yorke, and owner Tom Dundon may not be willing to commit with Brett Pesce, Brady Skjei and Teuvo Teräväinen also headed for free agency this summer, among many others. However, as Pagnotta reports, there were no mid-season extension discussions with Teräväinen, and his camp is expected to make a call next week on pursuing a last-minute agreement in Carolina or joining Guentzel in heading to market.

Guentzel is completing a five-year, $30MM extension he signed with Pittsburgh in 2018. The Nebraska native and Nebraska-Omaha collegiate product led all players in playoff scoring with 13 goals in 25 games as a rookie in 2017, helping the Pens win their second of back-to-back championships.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/jake-guentzel-likely-to-test-free-agency.html#ref=home

Edited by RWJC
  • Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

You know JR will give him like 9 mill x 7 lol

hes a JR boy through and through 

cap space = 23.7 + milky dump best case scenario 28.6

JG 9

bluegger 1.33

myets 2.75x term 

tanev 4.75 x 3

zads 4.5x 6

joshya 3.25x 5

silovs 1.25 

Honestly, I'd throw just about whatever he wants at him if the management thinks he would be a Petey fit long term. Petey needs his pairing, like Miller has with Boes. If we don't have to use our minimal trade currency to acquire that, all the better.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Honestly, I'd throw just about whatever he wants at him if the management thinks he would be a Petey fit long term. Petey needs his pairing, like Miller has with Boes. If we don't have to use our minimal trade currency to acquire that, all the better.

If he was younger I would... but we're talking a guy who's 29yo who will be 30yo at the start of this coming season.

A 7 year deal brings him to 37yo.  I can't imagine $9M AAV when he's 35 to 37yo will look very good considering his game relies on his shooting ability. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If he was younger I would... but we're talking a guy who's 29yo who will be 30yo at the start of this coming season.

A 7 year deal brings him to 37yo.  I can't imagine $9M AAV when he's 35 to 37yo will look very good considering his game relies on his shooting ability. 

I'd think his skill set ages as well as Miller's does. We have clearly gone all in for the next few years, so this would be the way to actually open that window. We don't just need a top 6 wingers, we need a game breaker. Unless we are trading Hronek for one, I don't see many other ways to acquire a star. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I'd think his skill set ages as well as Miller's does. We have clearly gone all in for the next few years, so this would be the way to actually open that window. We don't just need a top 6 wingers, we need a game breaker. Unless we are trading Hronek for one, I don't see many other ways to acquire a star. 

I can't agree with that.  Guentzel doesn't have the size, strength, or defensive acumen and ability to age like Miller.  Miller will age into a 2-way 2C, then a strong defensive 3C (like Jordan Staal) as he ages.

Guentzel has nothing to fall back on as he loses his scoring touch.  He also relies on speed much more than Miller.  Scoring, skating, and speed all deteriorate with age.

• ThereItIs 1

23 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I can't agree with that.  Guentzel doesn't have the size, strength, or defensive acumen and ability to age like Miller.  Miller will age into a 2-way 2C, then a strong defensive 3C (like Jordan Staal) as he ages.

Guentzel has nothing to fall back on as he loses his scoring touch.  He also relies on speed much more than Miller.  Scoring, skating, and speed all deteriorate with age.

Millers game is also based on his first couple strides, something he will also lose over time. While JG is definitely much faster then Miller, his primary strength is his IQ, much like Miller. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, I think they'll age similarly even with different skill sets.

Just now, Bob Long said:

hes a good player, but 10 for 7 years is nutty. 

With the cap going up 10 will be more like 8 in a few years.

That being said he’ll be 30 starting next season. How many of those 7 years will he be in his prime? 3 or 4?

I have no doubt he could put up 40 or more with a resurgent Petey. But that contract could look ugly pretty quick.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

With the cap going up 10 will be more like 8 in a few years.

That being said he’ll be 30 starting next season. How many of those 7 years will he be in his prime? 3 or 4?

I have no doubt he could put up 40 or more with a resurgent Petey. But that contract could look ugly pretty quick.

if it does end up being us - not sure how without a Mik buyout -  I'm sure the first 2 or 3 years with Petey will be great... 

I'd have to sit down and do the math, but is it possible to retain our current d group and do this if we pass on Joshua, trade or buyout Mik, pencil in Silovs? 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

if it does end up being us - not sure how without a Mik buyout -  I'm sure the first 2 or 3 years with Petey will be great... 

I'd have to sit down and do the math, but is it possible to retain our current d group and do this if we pass on Joshua, trade or buyout Mik, pencil in Silovs? 

Mikheyev buyout or trade would be a must. And yea doubt we could pay Joshua anything close to 4.

I’m good going all in if we can get a cup in the next 3-4 years. That should kinda be the plan anyways. As long as there’s not a scorched earth approach they can always clean up the cap later. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Mikheyev buyout or trade would be a must. And yea doubt we could pay Joshua anything close to 4.

I’m good going all in if we can get a cup in the next 3-4 years. That should kinda be the plan anyways. As long as there’s not a scorched earth approach they can always clean up the cap later. 

It feels like if we let Cole, DJ, Lindy, DeSmith all walk + Mik trade/buyout something is at least possible without actually talking a step back. Lindy was great in the playoffs but we were a good regular season team before he showed up, and top 6 scoring was our biggest issue (outside of injuries) in the playoffs.

Fun times, I like this better than looking at the lotto simulator thats for sure. 

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, canucks curse said:

JG 9

bluegger 1.33

myets 2.75x term 

tanev 4.75 x 3

zads 4.5x 6

joshya 3.25x 5

silovs 1.25 

= 26.83

CAP space = 1.77

JG Petey Hogz

Suter Miller Brock

Joshua Bluegger Garland

Podz Aman PDG/Bains/UFA

Hughes Tanev

Zads Myers

Soucy Juulsen 

Demko

Silovs

Hronek gets traded for major assets ...what about to TOR for Knies and 1st?

Milky + woo + Klimo to CHI for CHI 3rd 2024...

JG Petey Hogz

Knies Miller Brock (what an amazing 2nd line)

Joshua Bluegger Garland 

Podz Suter Aman 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, canucks curse said:

JG 9

bluegger 1.33

myets 2.75x term 

tanev 4.75 x 3

zads 4.5x 6

joshya 3.25x 5

silovs 1.25 

Myers and Zads need about another mill each! That’s why I’m thinking Joshua might be a luxury we can’t afford. You need that 3.25 mill to give a mill to each of those dmen and you’ll have an extra 1.25 to find the next Dakota Joshua. Get me Sammy Blais on the 4th line and put Podz on the 3rd line with Blueger and Garland. It’s either that or you let Zads walk and sign Brenden Dillion to fill that Zads roll for 3.75-4 mill a year.

Edited by flickyoursedin

No way we can afford to pay another forward over 8M. Lindholm at 7M and take it but Guentzel is going to ask for 9M easily and we don't have that space - we'd have to basically buy-out Mikheyev and let Joshua and Blueger walk and then some to make him fit.

Pete shouldn't require a high-priced linemate like Guentz and they need a placeholder

on his RW for Lekky.

I would go for UFA Duclair (LW) 4mx3  Duclair adds toughness and has an offensive upside.

P.Kane (RW) 4mx1  I know y'all hate 'em, but he was almost a pt per game for Detroit. 

Duclair  EP  Kane

• Upvote 1

I don't think management skimps out of top 6 help given had our top 6 been rolling we'd beaten the Oilers and probably swept the Preds.

We gotta a lot of prospects on the cusp for bottom 6 spots, that's probably where they make savings in order to find more scoring. 

JG is pretty pricey. He's one of the top forward on the market and will get paid. Lots of middle 6 guys in this free agent pool. 

Could see either a top forward or a couple 40-50 point forwards come in. I think they spend cap on forwards just not sure how.

• Vintage 2