[Speculation] Hurricanes Rumors: Jake Guentzel Likely to Hit Market, Rights available for mid round pick  

2 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Is a 30 y/o Guentzal worth a large contract?  Serious question as I haven't watched him play much.

Imo, no.

There's too many things coming up in the next 3 years that signing JG to a massive, long term deal will complicate.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

My question is, why does it seem no one is scared it could be an anchor contract?  Again, serious question.  

Probably expecting a few good years (4-5) before he tails off like Miller.

On 6/15/2024 at 1:37 PM, bh90 said:

Vintage

If money Is #1 get rid of them

When you make millions it's easy to double triple your money through investments and such. 

smart players would care more about structure of contract .... cash is worth more today than tomorrow.

Canucks have deep pockets so structure the deal to front load the contract up front so player is given options to invest their money today rather than in 4 years.

The potential ROI on 4 million bucks over 4 years is significant

A 7 year deal at 9 million per year is nice but a 7 year x 8 million with actual salary being 12-14 million per season in year 1 and 2 can have more value after 7 years

With the escrow gone now the structure isn't as important.  While the escrow was still there only salary was subject to the escrow, not bonuses, so the stars demanded bonus heavy contracts and just like in real life, the poorest of the players paid off the escrow for them.

15 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

9.5 range is nothing new. That’s his market value. Given Petey doesn’t have a legit top 6 winger, this is the highest need. 

12 minutes ago, tas said:

allvin wouldn't do it if it kneecaps the team going forward. he's got his eye on the prize. 

$9.5M would be crippling.  I'll throw up a spreadsheet later. 

If we go after Guentzel, we gotta go grab his rights and offer him an 8 year deal.

7 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

My question is, why does it seem no one is scared it could be an anchor contract?  Again, serious question.  

because a) that's inherent to any big name free agent signing, b) they already have miller at the same age locked in for the same term anyway, and c) by the time the contract is up the cap will be at $105-110m. 

Edited by tas

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If we go after Guentzel, we gotta go grab his rights and offer him an 8 year deal.

The only way to sign him to an 8 year contract is a sign and trade where Carolina signs him.   Just getting his rights doesn't allow Vancouver to sign him to the 8th year 

Edited by qwijjibo
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

I think we’re all in denial on that lol 

honestly, I love Guentzel and want him but try to avoid considering that

i know it’s stupid but, hey 4-5 years and chances at cups come at a cost 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I don't mean this in a confrontational way at all, and I'm sure your spreadsheet is illuminating, but I wouldn't bother on my account. allvin has access to all the same info we do (plus boatloads that we don't), has made all the same considerations, and is thinking further down the line than we are. 

if, with all that considered, allvin still pulls the trigger, I trust his judgment. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Is a 30 y/o Guentzal worth a large contract?  Serious question as I haven't watched him play much.

He'll be worth it for the first half and less no the second half. Same as JT. But we're going for it, so giddy up

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, tas said:

I don't mean this in a confrontational way at all, and I'm sure your spreadsheet is illuminating, but I wouldn't bother on my account. allvin has access to all the same info we do (plus boatloads that we don't), has made all the same considerations, and is thinking further down the line than we are. 

if, with all that considered, allvin still pulls the trigger, I trust his judgment. 

Locking in the top talent should be priority I guess.  We'll have to cut costs elsewhere.  Mikheyev would absolutely need to be moved.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Locking in the top talent should be priority I guess.  We'll have to cut costs elsewhere.  Mikheyev would absolutely need to be moved.

oh no doubt. the nice thing about this group is they seem to know when to cut bait and move on, they're proactive and decisive. 

21 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Some folks are, I don't want him. I didn't want him at the deadline either.

I'd rather spend the cap/money it'd take to reel him in on a couple players instead. 

He's a top end talent, no doubt, but I dunno. I'd rather grab a couple good, but not great, players than go after Guentzel. One of th things I took from this past playoff run is we'd have been better served having better forward depth in our top six. 

I'd rather grab a good top six player and either a third liner or a middle six tweener, not all tweeners are as hopeless as Mikheyev was, we did quite well with Higgins for example.

Edited by Coconuts

24 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

If you wanna try and win the cup in the next 4-5 years then yes.

He’s an elite goal scorer that we could have desperately used this playoffs.

If we can have Miller, Petey, Boeser, Guenztel all scoring 35-40 goals that takes our offense to a whole other level. 

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, HKSR said:

I guess when you look at it, we would be a powerhouse if the pairings in the top 6 are:

Miller-Boeser

Petey-Guentzel

Then Hoglander and Lekkerimaki develop into the top 6 wingers for cheap...

Guentzel-Pettersson-Lekkerimaki

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Podkolzin-Blueger-Garland

4th-Line-Guys

Looks like Toronto to me.

Just now, Coconuts said:

Some folks are, I don't want him. I didn't want him at the deadline either.

I'd rather spend the cap/money it'd take to reel him in on a couple players instead. 

He's a top end talent, no doubt, but I dunno. I'd rather grab a couple good, but not great, players than go after Guentzel. One of th things I took from this past playoff run is we'd have been better served having better forward depth in our top six. 

I see it both ways... on the one hand, we do have a couple young forwards coming up that could potentially be true top 6 guys in the near future in Hoglander and Lekkerimaki.  If they come in for relatively cheap over the next 3 to 5 years, then we are set up front with Guentzel in the mix. 

On the other hand, signing a couple $5M guys could payoff handsomely especially if they play at or above their cap hit.  Only thing I worry about is we had a couple of those guys this past year in Mikheyev and Garland. ... .....