[Speculation] Hurricanes Rumors: Jake Guentzel Likely to Hit Market, Rights available for mid round pick  

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

With the escrow gone now the structure isn't as important.  While the escrow was still there only salary was subject to the escrow, not bonuses, so the stars demanded bonus heavy contracts and just like in real life, the poorest of the players paid off the escrow for them.

escrow or no escrow, cash is still worth more today than a year from now so front loading a contract either via salary or bonus still holds a signficant amount of value for a savy money manager

47 minutes ago, stawns said:

Most of those players aren't declining assets on the back nine of their careers though.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

They also pay top dollar for top talent then try and find the bargain guys for depth...

Florida:

Barkov - $10M.          - 28 years

Tkachuk - $9.5M.      - 26 years

Bob - $10M.               - 35 years

Ekblad - $7.5M.          - 28 years

Reinhart - 9.5?M.        - 28 years

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

VGK:

Eichel - $10M.            - 27 years

Stone - $9.5M.           - 32 years

Pietrangelo - $8.8M.  - 34 years

Hanifin - $7.35M         - 27 years

TBL:

Kucherov - $9.5M.      - 31 years

Point - $9.5M.             - 28 years

Vasi - $9.5M.               - 29 years

Sergachev - $8.5M.    - 25 years

Hedman - $7.875M.    - 33 years

COL:

Mackinnon - $12.6M.   - 28 years

Rantanen - $9.25M.     - 27 years

Makar - $9M.               - 25 years

Toews - $7.25M.          - 30 years

Landeskog - $7M.        - 31 years

Rangers:

Panarin - $11.6M.          - 32 years

Fox - $9.5M.                  - 26 years

Zibanejad - $8.5M.       - 31 years

Trouba - $8M.              - 30 years

Shsterkin - $10M.         - 28 years

Bottomline is we can't shy from paying top dollar top talent.  We need that to win.

Petey - $11.6M.             - 25 years

Miller - $8M.                 - 31 years 

Hughes - $7.85M.         - 24 years old

Boeser - $6.65M.          - 27 years

Guentzel - 8.7M??         - 29 years

After looking at the ages all laid out you can see that this simply just isn’t true. We’re actually one of the youngest and least “backside of their careers” 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, BornMello said:

After looking at the ages all laid out you can see that this simply just isn’t true. We’re actually one of the youngest and least “backside of their careers” 

Thanks, I was gonna do the analysis later this afternoon.  You saved me some work lol.

Get used to general statements by him that he touts as truth, then when facts are thrown at him, he will move the goal posts and divert the topic elsewhere to 'win' the argument. 

31 minutes ago, BornMello said:

Nicely laid out. 
The reality is to get players to go for a run you have to pay them past their prime years.  True for everyone. 
JG fits in 2 years younger than JTM. Z is in the same mold and still improving. 
To me when you sign EP and JTM to 20M you are committed to going for it and we need more talent on the wing to not waste years of QH and Demko’s bargain contracts. 
We are in a position where we need to be aggressive and we have a very aggressive management group. Just can hope they do it more competently than all their predecessors and competitors have.

2 hours ago, BornMello said:

I didn't mean the Canucks as they are, I meant adding guentzal for 7 years at $9ishm

I think we get Guentzel for 8.3 x 8. It’ll be a sign and trade and that extra year from 7 to 8 brings down the AAV to 8.3. The total for 9.5 x 7 and 8.3 x 8 = 66.5.

9 hours ago, Sika21 said:

There’s better options out there to spend cap money on this summer. 

There hasn’t been a better option that matches our core perfectly in maybe a decade. 

i would’ve liked to keep Lindholm, as I became a huge fan of his, but there’s no denying that Jake Guentzel is the perfect fit for this team.

13 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Feels like the Canucks are front runners, I hope they get it done.

9-9.5M x 7 years. Canucks will be a true contender for the forseeable future. Lets go Ruthervin!

a sign and trade would be cool to get that AAV down. I wonder what Carolina would demand to make that happen?

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

a sign and trade would be cool to get that AAV down. I wonder what Carolina would demand to make that happen?

I keep saying 3 way trade with bruins they get Lindy’s rights we get JG rights and Carolina gets a 4/5th from bruins 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

That solves our desperate need for a legit top 6?

Not really.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Who? 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

No there's not. Cheaper? Sure. Better? Nope.

Better? Definitely not. I’d rather split that money up in the likes of Toffoli/Monahan or the likes of that than put it all on JG. 

Guentzel is gonna get a haul. Boeser is due for a raise next year. OEL’s buyout is gonna spike soon. 

Wait to see who the buyouts are, and who’s remaining July 2.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sika21 said:

Better? Definitely not. I’d rather split that money up in the likes of Toffoli/Monahan or the likes of that than put it all on JG. 

Guentzel is gonna get a haul. Boeser is due for a raise next year. OEL’s buyout is gonna spike soon. 

You’re just kicking the can down the road with signings like that. Those two don’t solve our needs.

We need a legit top 6 forward. Toffoli would be okay on a cheaper deal, but we’d still need another top 6.

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Sika21 said:

Here’s the thing. What does it cost a team to acquire by trade a bonafide high end player like Guentzel?

Do you realize what the cost would be and what that might do to our depth?

When a player like that comes up in Free Agency, and you stand a chance to legitimately pursue him, you do. You find ways to accommodate elite talent. 

No one we currently have can come close to filling Guentzel’s skates in the short term with respect to what he can provide EP as a W and what he can also do for our PP.  These stop gap players people mention are not the correct solution. Sure they are more affordable, but the Toffoli’s and Monahan’s are more in line with what our current in house talent can aspire to (eg. Hogz) over the term of what we would be giving a TT or SM to sign them as UFA. Besides, we will need the requisite roster space and placement within it over that term to introduce players like Lek.

Our current up and coming talent can’t come close to a JG level output or performance, not in the short term. This is why when a compatible and desirable FA becomes available you find ways to secure them and in this case we have an ideal scenario to try to capitalize on with a player as close as you get to being turn key within a roster, a coaching team and a mgmt group who know him inside out.

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1