[Speculation] Hurricanes Rumors: Jake Guentzel Likely to Hit Market, Rights available for mid round pick  

Just heard the price & term JG wants; It's too much. We'd get a really good  player but have to move two worth keeping. We have to sit back and realize 

what a great team we had this year. Could maybe do it if both Milk Lindholm (rights) are gone. 

I’m scared of JG for long-term at his age. But I was afraid of the same for Miller. Time will ultimately tell, but for now it’s worked out great for us.

JG has the resume to back his asking price. For the detractors that say he rode shotgun with Sid - for sure - but he’ll be with a prime Petey here. He also did great with Carolina.

I’d be willing to gamble on JG but I’m hoping we can get him for just a hair over Miller at around $8.5. Tough ask with a few teams with the cap to go hunting this free agency though. 

Most importantly - I am glad we’re looking at providing Petey a bona fide skill winger. Petey has shown he plays best with creative types. I know NHL24 loves a line of power forward, playmaker and sniper (or something). But I don’t think Petey is as effective at finding open space while waiting for a puck off the wall from a retriever linemate as he is with a puck possession and skill game. 

1 hour ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Just heard the price & term JG wants; It's too much. We'd get a really good  player but have to move two worth keeping. We have to sit back and realize 

what a great team we had this year. Could maybe do it if both Milk Lindholm (rights) are gone. 

Source? 

36 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I’m scared of JG for long-term at his age. But I was afraid of the same for Miller. Time will ultimately tell, but for now it’s worked out great for us.

JG has the resume to back his asking price. For the detractors that say he rode shotgun with Sid - for sure - but he’ll be with a prime Petey here. He also did great with Carolina.

I’d be willing to gamble on JG but I’m hoping we can get him for just a hair over Miller at around $8.5. Tough ask with a few teams with the cap to go hunting this free agency though. 

Most importantly - I am glad we’re looking at providing Petey a bona fide skill winger. Petey has shown he plays best with creative types. I know NHL24 loves a line of power forward, playmaker and sniper (or something). But I don’t think Petey is as effective at finding open space while waiting for a puck off the wall from a retriever linemate as he is with a puck possession and skill game. 

I think you could be a million shy on the deal, but who knows

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Maybe instead of JG, Canucks look at other players that could possibly breakout??

UFA - DeBrusk, Duclair, Sprong

JG is an elite player. These guys you mention are spare parts. You shop these players only if you can’t land what you actually need and have to pray they “breakout”

Edited by Grandmaster
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

JG is an elite player. These guys you mention are spare parts. You shop these players only if you can’t land what you actually need and have to pray they “breakout”

So why doesn't Carolina want him then?  They're closer to a Cup than Van is..........why don't they want him?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

So why doesn't Carolina want him then?  They're closer to a Cup than Van is..........why don't they want him?

I don’t think they have 10 or so Cap to fit him in. They don’t even have enough to keep Necas. Are you denying JG is elite? 

Also Canucks priority right now is to have a legit top 6 player to play with Petey 

Edited by Grandmaster

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I was under the impression Carolina has been trying to sign him but he's looking to test FA and possibly a better fit.

Just now, Blitz-Pix said:

I was under the impression Carolina has been trying to sign him but he's looking to test FA and possibly a better fit.

Well, they've made it known his rights are available, and that tells me that he's too rich for their blood.

If so, what then, makes it a good deal for Van?  By all accounts, the Canes are one of the best run franchises in the league........ic they're saying if the juice isn't worth the squeeze on JG, maybe PA needs to listen 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Well, they've made it known his rights are available, and that tells me that he's too rich for their blood.

If so, what then, makes it a good deal for Van?  By all accounts, the Canes are one of the best run franchises in the league........ic they're saying if the juice isn't worth the squeeze on JG, maybe PA needs to listen 

Caines haven’t won a Cup without JR running that team. There is a reason they keep doing well in the regular season and terrible in the playoffs in terms of success. I wouldn’t say they are “one of the best run franchises”

4 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

I don’t think they have 10 or so Cap to fit him in. They don’t even have enough to keep Necas. Are you denying JG is elite? 

I would not call him elite, no.  Hes hit 40 goals twice in his career and has only been over 80 points once.........playing with the greatest player in the last 30 years.

I think he's a great player, a great two way forward and might fit well into the lineup......I just don't think it's worth it at that price.  

1 minute ago, Grandmaster said:

Caines haven’t won a Cup without JR running that team. There is a reason they keep doing well in the regular season and terrible in the playoffs in terms of success. I wouldn’t say they are “one of the best run franchises”

I would 

Just now, stawns said:

I would not call him elite, no.  Hes hit 40 goals twice in his career and has only been over 80 points once.........playing with the greatest player in the last 30 years.

I think he's a great player, a great two way forward and might fit well into the lineup......I just don't think it's worth it at that price.  

Given that this team’s highest need and the market rate within a rising Cap, JG is the best available and if we want to improve I feel this is more of a need to do. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I would 

Agree to disagree. They never have gone all in. They play the line of staying good but never close to being a Stanley Cup champion. The only time that happened was under JR’s command and guess how he ran things? JR would not be chasing after JG if he didn’t think we were close 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree.

I suspect much like we've kinda made our best offers to Dakota, Zads and Lindholm they've made what they consider their best offer to JG. 

If he's not going to consider it then probably looking to recoup a pick. Good asset management on Carolina's part IMO. 

Was hoping we'd do the same thing with Lindholm rights if we can't resign him

Edited by Blitz-Pix

2 hours ago, BPA said:

Maybe instead of JG, Canucks look at other players that could possibly breakout??

UFA - DeBrusk, Duclair, Sprong

I mean. If you’re signing those guys. You’re hoping that they break out. What if they don’t? Then we screw ourselves and Petey doesn’t have an elite winger to play with. I’d rather roll the dice with Guentzel if Allvin can make room. 

20 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

Agree to disagree. They never have gone all in. They play the line of staying good but never close to being a Stanley Cup champion. The only time that happened was under JR’s command and guess how he ran things? JR would not be chasing after JG if he didn’t think we were close 

How do you think they got Guentzel in the first place..? 

Not only did they give up Bunting (a solid player) and a 2nd, they gave up a couple young players who were also 2nd rounders

And a 5th, and another player drafted in the 4th round 

They basically gave up three 2nd rounders+ for a guy they knew they weren't guaranteed to keep 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

I agree.

I suspect much like we've kinda made our best offers to Dakota, Zads and Lindholm they've made what they consider their best offer to JG. 

If he's not going to consider it then probably looking to recoup a pick. Good asset management on Carolina's part IMO. 

Was hoping we'd do the same thing with Lindholm rights if we can't resign him

I’m hoping that management tried to trade Lindholm’s rights before July 1st. Recoup something is better than losing him for nothing isn’t it?