[Speculation] Hurricanes Rumors: Jake Guentzel Likely to Hit Market, Rights available for mid round pick  

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I’m hoping that management tried to trade Lindholm’s rights before July 1st. Recoup something is better than losing him for nothing isn’t it? 

I hope so as well...but haven't heard or seen any reports that would indicate that.

3 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

and Kuznetsov....

I would say they pushed all their chips in at the TDL this year. 

They did as much as they could without giving up their 1st and top prospects

They gave Pittsburgh three very solid prospects, a 2nd that could have turned into a 1st if they'd made the final, a 5th, and a serviceable scoring forward in Bunting 

Carolina is very well run, they draft well, they don't flippantly move out picks and prospects, they don't overpay, and they generally don't give term to older players 

I've criticized them in the past for not stepping off the fence, they did that this season, but even when they didn't they were still viewed as a contender 

Edited by Coconuts

38 minutes ago, stawns said:

So why doesn't Carolina want him then?  They're closer to a Cup than Van is..........why don't they want him?

they do, but they also have cap logistics to work out and they are notoriously hardline when it comes to internal caps. 

Just now, tas said:

they do, but they also have cap logistics to work out and they are notoriously hardline when it comes to internal caps. 

Exactly my point.........the Canucks should be paying attention 

29 minutes ago, stawns said:

I would not call him elite, no.  Hes hit 40 goals twice in his career and has only been over 80 points once.........playing with the greatest player in the last 30 years.

I think he's a great player, a great two way forward and might fit well into the lineup......I just don't think it's worth it at that price.  

better than point per game 4 of the last 5 seasons is elite. 

Just now, stawns said:

they should be paying attention to the team that's going to win the stanley cup with 3 players including a goalie that was considered the worst contract in the league a couple years ago making $9.5 mil+

1 minute ago, tas said:

Yep and look at how many UFA/RFAs they have to deal with right now.

They have way too much cap uncertainty to commit to Guenztel long term.

They’ve got Necas, Drury, and Jarvis to sort out along with Pesce and Skjei to replace and Slavin to sign long term. Not mention they’re probably gonna wanna add a goalie at some point.

Tulsky has a longer list than Allvin of things to accomplish this summer.

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

How do you think they got Guentzel in the first place..? 

Not only did they give up Bunting (a solid player) and a 2nd, they gave up a couple young players who were also 2nd rounders

And a 5th, and another player drafted in the 4th round 

They basically gave up three 2nd rounders+ for a guy they knew they weren't guaranteed to keep 

At the end of the day I suppose they weren’t as close as they thought. JG was not to blame for that. He performed admirably. 

set the scene - JR/Allvin busy working on the Zadorov re-signing

JR to BB - Brock, seeing as you and Jake (Guentzel) have the same agent, how bout you give him a call, see where he's at. Maybe invite him and your agent out for a round of golf and dinner, make Jake feel at home. We'll pick up the tab. Tell him how wonderful it is to play in VAN, and reassure him we are contenders. Really sell him on the city and what it has to offer, the team and how good the guys are and what a thrill it is to hit the ice with those great fans in a Canadian market. Let him know we're very interested and we could figure out a fair number, but we'll give him full term and besides, you can't put a price on winning a Stanley Cup for a Canadian team. He'll be a legend in this town if that happens. We'll be in touch on July 1st with a fresh contract ready. 

not tampering? 🤪

4 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

At the end of the day I suppose they weren’t as close as they thought. JG was not to blame for that. He performed admirably. 

They were very close, they just happened to run into the President's Trophy winning Rangers backed by Shesterkin, who played extremely well. I watched a fair bit of that series, if not for Shesterkin the Canes move on. 

Lot of things have to go right to win a cup, them losing Pesce against the Isles didn't help them, nor did Andersen's uncharacteristically subpar tending. 

The criticism of the Canes the past couple playoffs prior to this one was they lacked scoring punch, they did actually try to address that. They went out and made a Guentzel trade we couldn't afford to, because they'd built up the sort of prospect depth we don't have. A Guentzel trade would have cost us a top prospect+ because our pool was shallower. 

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I mean. If you’re signing those guys. You’re hoping that they break out. What if they don’t? Then we screw ourselves and Petey doesn’t have an elite winger to play with. I’d rather roll the dice with Guentzel if Allvin can make room. 

Don’t like the rumours of $9-10M.  If Canucks sign JG to $9.5M then what do you expect Boeser to sign for if he repeats his 40g season???  

I don’t want Canucks to be overpaying for our wingers.

25 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

set the scene - JR/Allvin busy working on the Zadorov re-signing

JR to BB - Brock, seeing as you and Jake (Guentzel) have the same agent, how bout you give him a call, see where he's at. Maybe invite him and your agent out for a round of golf and dinner, make Jake feel at home. We'll pick up the tab. Tell him how wonderful it is to play in VAN, and reassure him we are contenders. Really sell him on the city and what it has to offer, the team and how good the guys are and what a thrill it is to hit the ice with those great fans in a Canadian market. Let him know we're very interested and we could figure out a fair number, but we'll give him full term and besides, you can't put a price on winning a Stanley Cup for a Canadian team. He'll be a legend in this town if that happens. We'll be in touch on July 1st with a fresh contract ready. 

not tampering? 🤪

It’s pampering 🥹

38 minutes ago, stawns said:

Funny I was listening to NHL radio and they asked Tulsky exactly that and he laughed it off. They have been spending to the cap and over with LTIR for years, they aren’t on an internal budget, he was very clear they will use any lever they can. 

46 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I’m hoping that management tried to trade Lindholm’s rights before July 1st. Recoup something is better than losing him for nothing isn’t it? 

sure, but only if you can find a taker.

everybody seems to think lindholm is going to end up in boston, so which team is going to pay up for a week of negotiating rights and why?

9 minutes ago, BPA said:

Don’t like the rumours of $9-10M.  If Canucks sign JG to $9.5M then what do you expect Boeser to sign for if he repeats his 40g season???  

Hardest thing to get in this league is elite talent especially as a good team and especially as a Canadian team. If we can land him I think you do. 

6 minutes ago, BPA said:

I'm not worried at all.  People overestimate how much Boeser is gonna get.  I've seen people say $8M+, and some even saying $9M+.

Reality is unless Boeser puts up a ridiculous season coming up, he's still a 65 to 75pt scorer at his peak.  He had a seriously unsustainable 20% shooting percentage this past year and still only managed 73 points in total.  That puts him squarely in the $7M to $7.5M range. 

I'll give you Debrincat as a comparable.  When he signed his deal, he had a stronger resume including two 41 goal seasons and a 32 goal season.  Even with that, his cap hit settled in at $7.875M which reflects the top end of his production (peak season of 78 points).

So anyways, like I said, not worried about Boeser getting Guentzel dollars.

Just now, DrJockitch said:

Hardest thing to get in this league is elite talent especially as a good team and especially as a Canadian team. If we can land him I think you do. 

guentzel would set the internal cap for wingers, at least expressed as a cap percentage. 

8 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'm not worried at all.  People overestimate how much Boeser is gonna get.  I've seen people say $8M+, and some even saying $9M+.

Reality is unless Boeser puts up a ridiculous season coming up, he's still a 65 to 75pt scorer at his peak.  He had a seriously unsustainable 20% shooting percentage this past year and still only managed 73 points in total.  That puts him squarely in the $7M to $7.5M range. 

I'll give you Debrincat as a comparable.  When he signed his deal, he had a stronger resume including two 41 goal seasons and a 32 goal season.  Even with that, his cap hit settled in at $7.875M which reflects the top end of his production (peak season of 78 points).

So you got Boeser pegged at $7-7.5M.  Then what do you expect JG to sign for with the Canucks??

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

when boeser's deal is up, the equivalent to debrincat's deal will be about $8.7m. 

52 minutes ago, tas said:

they should be paying attention to the team that's going to win the stanley cup with 3 players including a goalie that was considered the worst contract in the league a couple years ago making $9.5 mil+

And probably the deepest, most balanced roster in the nhl

Again, I really don't think the Canucks should go after Jake Guentzel.  Major risk, IMO. Much time lost to injuries the last two years. Production down.

Not a young guy. I've heard some folks say a good fit with Boeser, I've even heard a few comments about moving Boes before his contract is up. 

Rutherford has all summer to tweak the team; We were "one" game away from taking the Oilers out, (Boeser couldn't go), 

Obviously we probably can't keep everyone but options will come up that make more sense. I realize you have to be in the batters box in July,

but we need a team that can take the 82 game stretch and hopefully to the Cup finals next year, but it takes smarts.                             

10 minutes ago, BPA said:

So you got Boeser pegged at $7-7.5M.  Then what do you expect JG to sign for with the Canucks??

$8.75M x 7 for Guentzel.

His peak season is 84 points. 

He has had 4 seasons where he was scoring at more than a PPG pace.

He has two 40 goal seasons and two 30+ goal seasons.

He's coming off a season where he was on pace for 94 points.

Apples to oranges.

Boeser is not Guentzel.

• Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'm not worried at all.

Same. Not worried. And to be fair, not concerned either. Certainly no insecurity, fear, anxiety, or trepidation. Definitely not bothered or distressed.

You're spot on with your comparable and the top end. Also there will be flexibility from Boeser's camp given the organization's faith and support in him.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

And probably the deepest, most balanced roster in the nhl

And what happens when you take out ONE of Tkachuk, Barkov, or Bobrovsky?