[Speculation] Hurricanes Rumors: Jake Guentzel Likely to Hit Market, Rights available for mid round pick  

11 minutes ago, tas said:

when boeser's deal is up, the equivalent to debrincat's deal will be about $8.7m. 

That's pretty extreme.

Debrincat signed his deal on July 9, 2023.  It's not like he signed it 3 or 4 years ago.

Besides, Debrincat signed his deal at a younger age too... so there's a premium there as well. 

Boeser would also likely give Vancouver a discount.

So many factors go against the idea that Boeser would sign for $8M to $9M.

I'm not the only one predicting a $7.xx AAV either:

https://canucksarmy.com/news/early-estimates-brock-boeser-extension-vancouver-canucks

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

$8.75M x 7 for Guentzel.

His peak season is 84 points. 

He has had 4 seasons where he was scoring at more than a PPG pace.

He has two 40 goal seasons and two 30+ goal seasons.

He's coming off a season where he was on pace for 94 points.

Apples to oranges.

Boeser is not Guentzel.

That’s a hometown discount.  

As a UFA, JG would probably get more than $8.75M.  I’m guessing it starts with $9M at the very least.

8 minutes ago, HKSR said:

And what happens when you take out ONE of Tkachuk, Barkov, or Bobrovsky? 

Petey

Demko

Miller 

Boeser

What's the diff?

Tkacuk has one goal in his last 10, yet they're on the verge of winning it all because they have the depth to do it 

• Cheers 1

Just now, BPA said:

That’s a hometown discount.  

As a UFA, JG would probably get more than $8.75M.  I’m guessing it starts with $9M at the very least.

Quite possible.  I just think Rutherford can convince JG to come here for a little bit less.  $9M is the likely going rate for Guentzel.  People are quoting $9.5M, but that's probably the starting point for Guentzel's camp.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Petey

Demko

Miller 

Boeser

What's the diff?

Tkacuk has one goal in his last 10, yet they're on the verge of winning it all because they have the depth to do it 

You were insinuating that Florida is where they are because of their depth and balance.  We're saying it's those top guys that lead the way, and the others (depth) follow. 

Yes, you need depth and balance, but take out any 1 of those elite talents and Florida is not in the Finals. 

Florida has more top end scoring talent overall than Vancouver.  We need a Guentzel to match up with those teams.  It's obvious.

FLA:

Barkov

Tkachuk

Reinhart

Verhaege

EDM:

McDavid

Draisaitl

Hyman

RNH

VAN:

Petey

Miller

Boeser

???

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

47 minutes ago, stawns said:

And probably the deepest, most balanced roster in the nhl

that's proof that being top heavy doesn't prevent you from being deep right? and what about the other team in the finals with 3x $9m+ contracts, including arguably the worst contract in the league?

59 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'm not worried at all.  People overestimate how much Boeser is gonna get.  I've seen people say $8M+, and some even saying $9M+.

Reality is unless Boeser puts up a ridiculous season coming up, he's still a 65 to 75pt scorer at his peak.  He had a seriously unsustainable 20% shooting percentage this past year and still only managed 73 points in total.  That puts him squarely in the $7M to $7.5M range. 

I'll give you Debrincat as a comparable.  When he signed his deal, he had a stronger resume including two 41 goal seasons and a 32 goal season.  Even with that, his cap hit settled in at $7.875M which reflects the top end of his production (peak season of 78 points).

So anyways, like I said, not worried about Boeser getting Guentzel dollars.

Boeser is about an 8mill player on his next deal if he has another similar season. Give it another year of cap increase and contrast that with what other players of his capabilities will get and 8mill is about the top end of a fair deal. Hopefully he takes a shave on that and does come in around 7.5 if he extends. Can negotiate come July 1 but I imagine we won’t be doing so until we see how he performs going forward. Expect media to draw this one out for major clickbait

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Boeser is about an 8mill player on his next deal if he has another similar season. Give it another year of cap increase and contrast that with what other players of his capabilities will get and 8mill is about the top end of a fair deal. Hopefully he takes a shave on that and does come in around 7.5 if he extends. Can negotiate come July 1 but I imagine we won’t be doing so until we see how he performs going forward. Expect media to draw this one out for major clickbait

I'd be surprised to see him put up another 40 goal season unless he shoots the puck a LOT more.  Reality is he will fall back down to a 30 to 35 goal guy and probably 60 to 65 points.  Of course if he does throw up another 40 goal season and 70 to 75 points, $8M could be on the top end like you said, and knowing Boeser, it'll probably be a hometown discount to $7.5ish.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That's pretty extreme.

Debrincat signed his deal on July 9, 2023.  It's not like he signed it 3 or 4 years ago.

Besides, Debrincat signed his deal at a younger age too... so there's a premium there as well. 

Boeser would also likely give Vancouver a discount.

So many factors go against the idea that Boeser would sign for $8M to $9M.

I'm not the only one predicting a $7.xx AAV either:

https://canucksarmy.com/news/early-estimates-brock-boeser-extension-vancouver-canucks

debrincat's deal was 9.43% of the cap. 9.43% of ~$92m (what I'd expect the next cap jump to be) is ~$8.7m. 

Edited by tas

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

If Boeser has another season like this one I’ll be very happy and be glad to see him get 8+ mil. 

That would be huge for this team long term.

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, tas said:

debrincat's deal was 9.43% of the cap. 9.43% of ~$92m (what I'd expect the next cap jump to be) is ~8.7m. 

That's fair.  Appreciate when people actually use math to state their opinions.

I think Debrincat is still the superior player based on historical production, and he also signed his deal a few years younger than Boeser will be as well.  Then you factor in the good guy Brock discount, and we're under $8M.  I can't see $8M+ for Boeser unless he has an unbelievable 2024/25 season.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If Boeser has another season like this one I’ll be very happy and be glad to see him get 8+ mil. 

That would be huge for this team long term.

I'm hoping he'll re-sign for around $8-8.2M, give us a break, it's not that much more than what he's making now.

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That's fair.  Appreciate when people actually use math to state their opinions.

I think Debrincat is still the superior player based on historical production, and he also signed his deal a few years younger than Boeser will be as well.  Then you factor in the good guy Brock discount, and we're under $8M.  I can't see $8M+ for Boeser unless he has an unbelievable 2024/25 season.

if the canucks sign guentzel, he'll be the boeser measuring stick. 

• Cheers 3

Just now, kettlevalley said:

I think whoever signs Guentzel that contact will be a Boeser comparable.  

a comparable for sure, but it carries less weight as an external signing. 

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

You were insinuating that Florida is where they are because of their depth and balance.  We're saying it's those top guys that lead the way, and the others (depth) follow. 

Yes, you need depth and balance, but take out any 1 of those elite talents and Florida is not in the Finals. 

Florida has more top end scoring talent overall than Vancouver.  We need a Guentzel to match up with those teams.  It's obvious.

FLA:

Barkov

Tkachuk

Reinhart

Verhaege

EDM:

McDavid

Draisaitl

Hyman

RNH

VAN:

Petey

Miller

Boeser

???

those two aren't high end talent.. they just happen to play with generational talents.

7 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

those two aren't high end talent.. they just happen to play with generational talents.

When you can score 54 goals or 104 points in this league, regardless of the fact you play with generational talents, you have elite level skill.  Otherwise every player that ever played next to guys like Mcdavid, or Crosby, or OV would have been 100 point or 50 goal scorers.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

FLA:

Barkov

Tkachuk

Reinhart

Verhaege

EDM:

McDavid

Draisaitl

Hyman

RNH

VAN:

Petey

Miller

Boeser

???

If only we had a player that just hit 92 points this year...

7 minutes ago, Jim Tim said:

If only we had a player that just hit 92 points this year...

Relying on your DEFENCEman to get goals for you is a poor strategy when other teams have their defencemen focusing on I dunno... defence.  

We saw how that worked for us in the playoffs, no?  

You still need that group of 4 elite offensive guys up front.

5 minutes ago, testycal said:

Why does Jake give JR a discount?  Because they have had a prior business relationship? Because we live in Vancouver? Decent sushi?

I think it's a combination of things. A positive relationship with management and coaching. A chance to play with Pettersson. A team that's on the way up, and has a chance to win it all. Sushi.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Guentzal would be Boesers comparable on his next deal if think.  So whatever JG gets, Boes will be similar 

• Cheers 1