[Speculation] Hurricanes Rumors: Jake Guentzel Likely to Hit Market, Rights available for mid round pick  

1 hour ago, CanuckMan said:

I’m hoping Boeser has a 35 goal and 30 assist season for 65-70 points roughly and signs for 7M. That contract would be so great. 

Guentzal just scored 30 goals and 77 points........you figure he'll sign for $7m?

12 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I think one potential aspect of a JG addition that isn’t being mentioned much is what he might do in elevating EP.

We keep discussing EP requiring a finisher while arguing JG’s age/term/$ in relationship to our cap structure going forward and it’s a very valid concern, but on the flip side of that what we add to EP is a PPG player who has played with some of the league’s top players for a considerable amount of time. JG’s career and price point is what it is because he’s been a compliment to those players, namely Crosby, and learned how to play a certain level that enables and not just benefits from. As such his work ethic is very strong, not to mention the pedigree and the invaluable professional experience he brings to his linemates. 

I think he’d be a great mentor and support to EP in terms of confidence, consistency and overall mentality on how to take the step to become truly elite. As his career evolves, EP has been developing a style of game that is very similar with how Crosby played in that he can balance being an offensive dynamo while also bearing defensive presence, mindset and responsibility. In recent years especially, JG had a hand in that Crosby success. He had to as if he wasn’t able to keep up or provide on a two way game, he wouldnt have stuck. Crosby is highly demanding, just like MacKinnon. Should we sign JG, I see that responsible workhorse mentality fluidly translating to enhance EP in his development as a player. 

if you think of what EP has been able to produce given the limited capacity of some of his linemates, he’s had to be the leader of those lines. He doesn’t default to others.  In providing him a JG, you don’t just give him a supporting winger, you provide him with a career winner who with what he has absorbed from Crosby, can potentially elevate EP more so than any other UFA out there could. 

We have to consider that EP is only 25 and despite his independent efforts, has seen limited mentorship save for what he’s learned from coaching or even the Sedins. On the ice though, JG could bring that in spades, which maybe is something EP could invariably use most as he evolves. 
In that sense, JG could very well be worth his weight in gold to this club. 

Yes I keep suggesting the same thing to people, if he helps petey play at the level we know he’s capable of and get that value then guentzels value is worth more than he’s gunna get paid, end of the day all the top teams making the finals have very talented top 6s and find cheap role players, league is making the game less about depth and more about star power 

• Cheers 1

Guentzel would be a legendary UFA signing for the Nucks if they can get it done.

Exact type of player we need up front. Will help the PP significantly. Will give Pettersson a legitimate 1st line winger to play with and give us two effective scoring lines without relying on 3rd line chemistry.

I'd give him 9~ AAV over 7 years. Gamble on those final years that he doesn't completely fall off a cliff.

This is the kind of splash they need to make.

Stephenson would be a nice consolation signing, but a lot less exciting than what Jake would bring to this core.

3 hours ago, stawns said:

my point was that JG just did that, do you think he'll come in around $7m?

Guentzal should be more than Brock, he’s a 2 time 40 goal scorer and 1 time 36 goal scorer.

Brock has 1 40 goal season only. Close to 30 goals couple times but didn’t get there. 

if Brock is 7-7.5 JG should be 8.5-9

11 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

Guentzal should be more than Brock, he’s a 2 time 40 goal scorer and 1 time 36 goal scorer.

Brock has 1 40 goal season only. Close to 30 goals couple times but didn’t get there. 

Well, it's pretty much what have you done for me lately when it comes to ufa deals and if he has another 30+ season........

17 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

Sorry but Geuntzel is not worth more than Miller. He'll be 30 by the time the season starts.

• Vintage 1

For those who read the forum, you'll know I'm pro-guentzel and hope we sign him but, here's a question

Would you do guentzel at 9m x 7 years or

Stamkos at 9m x 2 years?

I say Stamkos based on some comments above. Think what Mats Sundin did for the young canucks in one season. I think Stamkos could have an amazing impact on Pettersons long term development 

27 minutes ago, bh90 said:

For those who read the forum, you'll know I'm pro-guentzel and hope we sign him but, here's a question

Would you do guentzel at 9m x 7 years or

Stamkos at 9m x 2 years?

I say Stamkos based on some comments above. Think what Mats Sundin did for the young canucks in one season. I think Stamkos could have an amazing impact on Pettersons long term development 

don’t think Stamkos leaves the Bolts but I’d be after him for sure if he isn’t extended. 

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

So?

though, I should add, I agree with you that unless boeser regresses substantially his next deal won't start with a 7. 

At age 29yr old I am not too keen on signing any contract for more than 5yrs. Also, can someone enlighten me why everyone thinks 

Guentzel is that good of a hockey player to sign for over $8M per season. Is he really that good? I just think he is over rated!! 

5 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

I don't think Guentzal is worth 9 to 9.5 million per. He's barely worth 8.

You telling me Guentzal is worth over $9M more than Huggy Bear and JT Miller!! 

I would peg him no more than $7M per season!! 

Edited by RolexSub
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

At age 29yr old I am not too keen on signing any contract for more than 5yrs. Also, can someone enlighten me why everyone thinks 

Guentzel is that good of a hockey player to sign for over $8M per season. Is he really that good? I just think he is over rated!! 

better than a point per game 4 of the last 5 seasons, adds another necessary piece to the top 6 and powerplay, does everything well. 

what's special about $8m? why that number?

4 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

You telling me Guentzal is worth over $9M more than Huggy Bear and JT Miller!! 

I would peg him no more than $7M per season!! 

thats not how it works though, inflation is very real. have you bought a bag of grapes recently?

1 minute ago, tas said:

better than a point per game 4 of the last 5 seasons, adds another necessary piece to the top 6 and powerplay, does everything well. 

what's special about $8m? why that number?

Everyone here is saying he is worth $9M and I am like I think he's only worth $7M. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tas said:

thats not how it works though, inflation is very real. have you bought a bag of grapes recently?

Yes and I don't need to buy some dam organic grapes that will cost me double with the same pleasure of enjoying my grapes lol!!! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

Yes and I don't need to buy some dam organic grapes that will cost me double with the same pleasure of enjoying my grapes lol!!! 

I think maybe you missed the point. this was never about grapes.

14 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

If no Guentzel what’s your backup plan then? Keep in mind that the focus from PA is to add to top 6. Who and for how much?