[Speculation] Hurricanes Rumors: Jake Guentzel Likely to Hit Market, Rights available for mid round pick  

25 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

You telling me Guentzal is worth over $9M more than Huggy Bear and JT Miller!! 

I would peg him no more than $7M per season!! 

How is he worth 9 million? The cap didn't go up by 12.5%.

27 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

Everyone here is saying he is worth $9M and I am like I think he's only worth $7M. 

Miller is a top center and hits and plays physical pks fights. Miller does everything well. Guentzel does some things well not everything.

Chandler Stephenson

Stephenson is a useful top six forward who can be deployed in a variety of roles.
Contributes better than secondary offense ... but not elite top six production.
Fantastic skater. Plays the game quick and fast.
Won 53% of his face-offs. Averaged 18:30 TOI. Used in all situations for VGK.
75GP - 16G -35A
Matches up against top six opponents.
Not overly physical - 43 hits / 40 shot blocks
Only 97 shots on goal
Has the skill, speed, and compete to potentially produce more offensively.
Expiring contract. Pending UFA. Only cost $2.75M in 23/24

Teuvo Teravainen

Motion player who plays quick and fast. Can be a threat off the rush. Not the kind of forward who will grind out a shift along the wall. Generally in motion / looking to make plays coming off the perimeter.
Fantastic puck touch. Excellent hand/eye coordination. Deployed in all situations. Better than average defensively. Jumps to space to disrupt opponents and create turnovers.
On the PP he generally works off the weak-side flank. Playmaker. Streaky.
Averaging 16:38 TOI - 11:06 ES - 3:40 PP - 1:51 PK ... 50/50 in face-off circle

These are two players that I would like to after if a Guentzel deal cannot get done.  Both are elite skaters and good defensive players, kill penalties and can play in the top 6.  Stephenson is more of a centre who can play wing and Teravainen is a pure winger.  Maybe he's our new Petri Skriko?

These guys would cost much less too.  6x6 should get it done for either player IMO.  

Both players have also won the Stanley Cup...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

Miller is a top center and hits and plays physical pks fights. Miller does everything well. Guentzel does some things well not everything.

Miller took a super team friendly deal to live here. He’s an 11 mil guy. 
JG will sign with us: 9.5 x 7. 

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Chandler Stephenson

Stephenson is a useful top six forward who can be deployed in a variety of roles.
75GP - 16G -35A
Only 97 shots on goal

Teuvo Teravainen

Motion player who plays quick and fast. Can be a threat off the rush. Not the kind of forward who will grind out a shift along the wall. Generally in motion / looking to make plays coming off the perimeter.
Fantastic puck touch. Excellent hand/eye coordination. Deployed in all situations. Better than average defensively. Jumps to space to disrupt opponents and create turnovers.

These are two players that I would like to after if a Guentzel deal cannot get done.  Both are elite skaters and good defensive players, kill penalties and can play in the top 6.  Stephenson is more of a centre who can play wing and Teravainen is a pure winger.  Maybe he's our new Petri Skriko?

These guys would cost much less too.  6x6 should get it done for either player IMO.  

The Stevenson guy sounds good. But he might cost too much for what role he will play? 

for what it’s worth:

Morning Notes: Toffoli, McGroarty, Buyouts

June 22nd, 2024 at 9:04am CST • By Josh Cybulski

Elliotte Friedman (32 Thoughts) believes that the Vancouver Canucks could target Tyler Toffoli if they are unable to land pending free agent Jake Guentzel. The Canucks have been linked to Guentzel on several occasions and will likely face stiff competition to acquire the former Stanley Cup Champion. Toffoli is familiar with the Canucks organization as the 32-year-old was traded to the team in February 2020 and dressed in ten regular season games, notching ten points.

Friedman also linked Toffoli to the New York Rangers, saying that he wouldn’t be surprised to see the Rangers in the mix for Toffoli. New York recently moved Barclay Goodrow’s contract off the books and has almost $13MM in cap space heading into the offseason. Although they have some pending restricted free agents who will eat up a lot of that cap room and the pending Igor Shesterkin extension to deal with.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/morning-notes-toffoli-mcgroarty-buyouts.html#ref=home

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The Stevenson guy sounds good. But he might cost too much for what role he will play? 

6x6.  Maybe he gets offered 7x7?  Hard to say, but I guess someone can give him $7 million maybe.  I actually prefer the Finn, Teravainen.  He's quick and fast and can play a 200' game.  No headaches with him unlike Laine.  I think he can play with Petey for sure.  Similar size to Guentzel.  Would be alot cheaper.  I think we can get him for 6x6...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

6x6.  Maybe he gets offered 7x7?  Hard to say, but I guess someone can give him $7 million maybe.  I actually prefer the Finn, Teravainen.  He's quick and fast and can play a 200' game.  No headaches with him unlike Laine.  I think he can play with Petey for sure.  Similar size to Guentzel.  Would be alot cheaper.  I think we can get him for 6x6...

We do need a winger who can push play through the neutral zone. What about trading for Ehlers? Garland for Ehlers. The Jets get two years of Garland. Or they can have Hogs and sign him long term? They need players they can keep. 

I feel like the Canucks need their established players to play this trough, I'd rather see them take Zadorov, Joshua, Myers and give a player like Mikheyev a real chance to step into the expected roll; I thought Myers and Zadorov were excellent in the playoffs and if you can also get Tanev I'd take that over the forward upgrade. If Hoglander, Mikheyev, Garland, Boeser, play at their potential this group is extremely talented still even with the loss of Lindholm. 

I feel like when you play a player 11.6million he has to make players like Garland and Mikheyev into 60-70 point linemates through their playmaking. We have already a solid top 3 forward group and if the Canucks lose these character pieces they won't be better off.

In a few years we might want to resign Hughes and that will be expensive; We'll also have the chance to sign other forwards in the coming years that we will be locked out of. (Including Boeser) we have now 3+ players on these 7+ year contracts and it could put us in a Calgary situation especially if we lose Demko.

Jake Guentzel signing has bad news written all over it; We have to remove too many pieces to sign him and he might cost us several good players in the coming years. He played with Crosby and Malkin who are generational talents and he has one single stretch of Hockey outside of that playing on a first line on a top-tier team.

He could easily be Johnny Gaudreau who goes from 115 points in Calgary +24 to 60 points -27 in Columbus;  I think this is an extremely risky free Agent signing especially when there are dependable pieces already in the organization. 

Edited by Jerk

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We do need a winger who can push play through the neutral zone. What about trading for Ehlers? Garland for Ehlers. The Jets get two years of Garland. Or they can have Hogs and sign him long term? They need players they can keep. 

Ehlers is a soft one dimensional winger. Teravainen is a better all around player, a cup winner and is free. 

The other thing to consider is Teravainen will be much cheaper than Guentzel. Which may allow us to re-sign Joshua. We need guys to win the board battles in the playoffs. Joshua and Zadorov are playoff performers and what you need to win a cup. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

How is he worth 9 million? The cap didn't go up by 12.5%.

markets vary from year to year, is pretty much the reason. This year, there's basically one premium 1st line winger available, some decent 2nd line options, and a bunch of 3rd liners. 

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

markets vary from year to year, is pretty much the reason. This year, there's basically one premium 1st line winger available, some decent 2nd line options, and a bunch of 3rd liners. 

So focus on D and depth and wait for next year to find a better deal on W.  It also gives them this season to see what Boeser does and whether they want to keep him or not

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hogs is the new Garly. 

Do we need Ehlers tho? lots of free agents this year so we don't really have to burn an asset for a guy like him for one year. 

CHI has 7 2nd round picks over the next 3 years, I wonder if JR/PA can convince CHI to part with one of them for Garly? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

So focus on D and depth and wait for next year to find a better deal on W.  It also gives them this season to see what Boeser does and whether they want to keep him or not

why tread water tho? if we can land JG we solve several issues at once.

Garly just isn't going to be a Tocc top 6 player. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Hogs is the new Garly. 

Do we need Ehlers tho? lots of free agents this year so we don't really have to burn an asset for a guy like him for one year. 

CHI has 7 2nd round picks over the next 3 years, I wonder if JR/PA can convince CHI to part with one of them for Garly? 

If Allvin can clear all of Garland’s cap I’ll buy him new head polish and throw in the Sham Wow! 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

If Allvin can clear all of Garland’s cap I’ll buy him new head polish and throw in the Sham Wow! 

I would imagine a team like CHI or SJS would be interested in all of garlands contract for a mid round pick-I don’t think Canucks want to do that 

I think they are trying to keep him - he drives play, he can play up the line up and RT likes him 

milky needs a sweetener - maybe several 

woo, klimovich etc…

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

why tread water tho? if we can land JG we solve several issues at once.

Garly just isn't going to be a Tocc top 6 player. 

Because it's a multi year process to build a contender once you get to where the Canucks are.  If there's only one top level winger available, that means there's a bidding war and you are going to max out to get one player and you still have a lot of areas to build up.

Passing on overpaying on the one guy everyone wants this year allows you to focus on other areas that will probably improve your team more than one player would anyway. 

Or keep some cap space available so you can take advantage of teams later in the off season 

Then, when next year rolls around youre probably in a better spot to go after a top line W if you still need one.

24 minutes ago, Jerk said:

I feel like the Canucks need their established players to play this trough, I'd rather see them take Zadorov, Joshua, Myers and give a player like Mikheyev a real chance to step into the expected roll; I thought Myers and Zadorov were excellent in the playoffs and if you can also get Tanev I'd take that over the forward upgrade. If Hoglander, Mikheyev, Garland, Boeser, play at their potential this group is extremely talented still even with the loss of Lindholm. 

I feel like when you play a player 11.6million he has to make players like Garland and Mikheyev into 60-70 point linemates through their playmaking. We have already a solid top 3 forward group and if the Canucks lose these character pieces they won't be better off.

In a few years we might want to resign Hughes and that will be expensive; We'll also have the chance to sign other forwards in the coming years that we will be locked out of. (Including Boeser) we have now 3+ players on these 7+ year contracts and it could put us in a Calgary situation especially if we lose Demko.

Jake Guentzel signing has bad news written all over it; We have to remove too many pieces to sign him and he might cost us several good players in the coming years. He played with Crosby and Malkin who are generational talents and he has one single stretch of Hockey outside of that playing on a first line on a top-tier team.

He could easily be Johnny Gaudreau who goes from 115 points in Calgary +24 to 60 points -27 in Columbus;  I think this is an extremely risky free Agent signing especially when there are dependable pieces already in the organization. 

JG will be playing with guys like 100pt Miller, 100pt Petey, 90pt Hughes, and 40 goal-scorer Boeser. It's not like he'd be playing with chopped liver in Van.

We could have another 80-100pt player with JG.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Because it's a multi year process to build a contender once you get to where the Canucks are.  If there's only one top level winger available, that means there's a bidding war and you are going to max out to get one player and you still have a lot of areas to build up.

Passing on overpaying on the one guy everyone wants this year allows you to focus on other areas that will probably improve your team more than one player would anyway. 

Or keep some cap space available so you can take advantage of teams later in the off season 

Then, when next year rolls around youre probably in a better spot to go after a top line W if you still need one.

sure that can happen, but you can also wait too long. The reality is we can both be right, what has to happen either way is better execution no matter who's on the ice. 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

sure that can happen, but you can also wait too long. The reality is we can both be right, what has to happen either way is better execution no matter who's on the ice. 

Of course, anc they have multiple areas they need to address, I just think going after a someone who is the only real choice for a top line winger is putting the cart before the horse.

I guess it probably comes down to where you think the team really is..........I don't think they're one player away from truly contending, so I think they should focus on building from the ground up.

Just now, stawns said:

Of course, anc they have multiple areas they need to address, I just think going after a someone who is the only real choice for a top line winger is putting the cart before the horse.

I guess it probably comes down to where you think the team really is..........I don't think they're one player away from truly contending, so I think they should focus on building from the ground up.

JG feels to me much like a guy in the mould of Pavelski in terms of longevity. IF thats the case, Petey and him could be a dominant duo for a long time. Miller and Lekkerimaki  could also be that, if we move on from Brock for cap or other reasons. 

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Chandler Stephenson

75GP - 16G -35A
Only 97 shots on goal

Teuvo Teravainen

I like that Stephenson can play as a center, but the big thing is both of these players lean towards being playmakers more than they do towards being shooters, which is something we need imo

Boeser, Miller, and Pettersson all like to shoot the puck, if Lekkermaki cracks the lineup he probably will too

Even Hoglander's point totals are skewed more towards goals 

We could absolutely use a guy who prefers to distribute the puck 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I like that Stephenson can play as a center, but the big thing is both of these players lean towards being playmakers more than they do towards being shooters, which is something we need imo

Boeser, Miller, and Pettersson all like to shoot the puck, if Lekkermaki cracks the lineup he probably will too

Even Hoglander's point totals are skewed more towards goals 

We could absolutely use a guy who prefers to distribute the puck 

My guess is Stephenson, like Lindholm, is going to want a bigger role than the Canucks can provide for him.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, canucks curse said:

I would imagine a team like CHI or SJS would be interested in all of garlands contract for a mid round pick-I don’t think Canucks want to do that 

I think they are trying to keep him - he drives play, he can play up the line up and RT likes him 

milky needs a sweetener - maybe several 

woo, klimovich etc…

If would could move off all of Mik with a not too costly sweetener that would be great too. But IMHAO Garland is the guy to go first. 

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If would could move off all of Mik with a not too costly sweetener that would be great too. But IMHAO Garland is the guy to go first. 

Garland is not going anywhere, Mikheyev is the only logical move 

• ThereItIs 1