[Speculation] Hurricanes Rumors: Jake Guentzel Likely to Hit Market, Rights available for mid round pick  

Just now, DrJockitch said:

Yes, if you are the Canucks but if your one of 31 other teams it doesn’t. 

even 1 Million retained he becomes very easy to sell as a reclamation project. We're competing moving Garland and keeping Mikheyev makes less than zero sense

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, stawns said:

My guess is Stephenson, like Lindholm, is going to want a bigger role than the Canucks can provide for him.  

Maybe, but there's absolutely space for him here. He put up borderline first line numbers the couple seasons prior to this one, this season it was more along the lines of second line production. 

He wouldn't be coming here for a 3C position, he'd be coming here as a first or second line winger, or maybe as a second line center at times. He'd likely get powerplay time, he'd likely see some PK. And he'd be well compensated for it of course. 

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Garland is not going anywhere, Mikheyev is the only logical move 

When healthy Mik is a big, fast, defensive winger who can play with Petey and Geuntzel. Plus he’s excellent on the PK. Currently he has negative trade value. Garland is a good little player in the offensive zone. He just doesn’t do much else. No PP or PK and he’s too slow to drive defenders back off the rush. If we can move off all his cap that’s the first trade to make. Clear cap for JG. 

36 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

even 1 Million retained he becomes very easy to sell as a reclamation project. We're competing moving Garland and keeping Mikheyev makes less than zero sense

In a capped league yes we are trying to clear Garland’s cap. I’m hopeful there’s a lower level club that believes Garland can play a top six role and PP1. If he could drive play through the neutral zone he’d be a top six winger. He’s just a bit too slow. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

When healthy Mik is a big, fast, defensive winger who can play with Petey and Geuntzel. Plus he’s excellent on the PK. Currently he has negative trade value. Garland is a good little player in the offensive zone. He just doesn’t do much else. No PP or PK and he’s too slow to drive defenders back off the rush. If we can move off all his cap that’s the first trade to make. Clear cap for JG. 

San Jose picked up Barclay Goodrow off waivers. 3 years left at $3.6 million. Had 12 points last season. 

If Goodrow can be moved so can Mikheyev. I’d also put Mikheyev on waivers and see what happens. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

San Jose picked up Barclay Goodrow off waivers. 3 years left at $3.6 million. Had 12 points last season. 

If Goodrow can be moved so can Mikheyev. I’d also put Mikheyev on waivers and see what happens. 

I thought for sure he was destined for a buyout, too. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I don't think Vancouver is going to be in the fight for a FA Guentzel, we just dont have 9.5m to spare, and I think he will end up around 9 to 9.75m aav wherever he goes.

Current cap space: $16 million

Cap space if Mikheyev at full cap hit is moved: $21 million

Cap space if he's bought out: $19.7 million

Not entirely sure why people don't think we can afford Guentzel. In the last two scenarios we'd have enough space for him and Zadorov, and have a little left over.  

I still doubt Guentzel will come in near $9.5 million like some suggest. If we can get his rights and give him that 8th year we should be able to bring his AAV down to under $9M. 

Edited by Pears
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I’m hesitant on Guentzel. At $9.5 million I’m getting Huberdeau vibes. I wouldn’t do it. 

Our internal cap should really be $8 million. Only Petey and Huggy should get more than that. I’d do 8x8 to keep Boeser. I wouldn’t extend Demko.

Teravainen at $6 million. Zadorov at $5 million. Joshua at $3.5 million. Myers at $3 million. Blueger at $2.5 million. I’m good with all of that. If we move Mikheyev we have room for all those guys plus still have $5 million left over for Silovs and Duhaime and another 4th liner/7-8 Dman.  

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Pears said:

Current cap space: $16 million

Cap space if Mikheyev at full cap hit is moved: $21 million

Cap space if he's bought out: $19.7 million

Not entirely sure why people don't think we can afford Guentzel. In the last two scenarios we'd have enough space for him and Zadorov, and have a little left over.  

I still doubt Guentzel will come in near $9.5 million like some suggest. If we can get his rights and give him that 8th year we should be able to bring his AAV down to under $9M. 

Our cap space is actually $18.5 million with Poolman’s LTIR. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’m hesitant on Guentzel. At $9.5 million I’m getting Huberdeau vibes. I wouldn’t do it. 

Our internal cap should really be $8 million. Only Petey and Huggy should get more than that. I’d do 8x8 to keep Boeser. I wouldn’t extend Demko.

Teravainen at $6 million. Zadorov at $5 million. Joshua at $3.5 million. Myers at $3 million. Blueger at $2.5 million. I’m good with all of that. If we move Mikheyev we have room for all

those guys plus still have $5 million left over for Silovs and Duhaime and another 4th liner. 

why 8? what's the significance? is it arbitrary?

Edited by tas

3 minutes ago, tas said:

why 8? what's the significance? isn't arbitrary?

Other than Petey and Huggy, nobody should be getting more than JT Miller. 

Not now or anytime in the near future. If Lekkerimaki turns into a 50 goal scorer, sure. But that’s it. We don’t need any more contracts over $8 million. 

Petey, Huggy, Boeser, Hronek, Miller. We have our big 5 already. Rest of the guys need to be complimentary players. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

Not now or anytime in the near future. If Lekkerimaki turns into a 50 goal scorer, sure. But that’s it. We don’t need any more contracts over $8 million. 

With the new cap / rising cap in the next years, more and more contracts over $8 millionen will be signed

Edited by German Canuck
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Our cap space is actually $18.5 million with Poolman’s LTIR. 

That too so let's say we buy Mikheyev out which would bring us to $22.2 million. Then say...

Guentzel: 8 x $8.5 million 

Zadorov: 7 x $4.75 million

That leaves us with just under $9 million to fill out the rest of the roster. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, German Canuck said:

With the new cap / rising cap in the next years, more and more contracts over $8 millionen will be signed

Sure, but we have our big time players locked up. Sign Boeser to an 8x8 extension and we are done. We don’t need another one dimensional small winger like Guentzel who doesn’t even kill penalties for $9.5 million. Teravainen at $6 million is good enough. He’s a multiple 70 point player. He can easily get 70 points again playing with Petey while also playing a good 200’ Rick Tocchet game. 

1 minute ago, Pears said:

That too so let's say we buy Mikheyev out which would bring us to $22.2 million. Then say...

Guentzel: 8 x $8.5 million 

Zadorov: 7 x $4.75 million

That leaves us with just under $9 million to fill out the rest of the roster. 

If I had to choose I’d do Teravainen at $6 million and Joshua at $3.5 million over Guentzel at $9.5 million. To me that’s less riskier and adds more balance to the left side. And our penalty kill gets much better. We have lots of space for Zadorov and Myers too. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Teravainen at $6 million. Zadorov at $5 million. Joshua at $3.5 million. Myers at $3 million. Blueger at $2.5 million. I’m good with all of that. If we move Mikheyev we have room for all those guys plus still have $5 million left over for Silovs and Duhaime and another 4th liner/7-8 Dman.  

I wouldn't sign Guentzal. I think the Canucks are 2 wingers short and signing one does nothing.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sure, but we have our big time players locked up. Sign Boeser to an 8x8 extension and we are done. We don’t need another one dimensional small winger like Guentzel who doesn’t even kill penalties for $9.5 million. Teravainen at $6 million is good enough. He’s a multiple 70 point player. He can easily get 70 points again playing with Petey while also playing a good 200’ Rick Tocchet game. 

One dimensional small winger?

You dont know much about Guentzel or?

Edited by German Canuck
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Petey, Huggy, Boeser, Hronek, Miller. We have our big 5 already. Rest of the guys need to be complimentary players. 

you have to base it on percentage of cap, though, not just raw numbers if you want to compare things in earnest. 

you also have to accept that a ufa on the open market comes at a premium over re-signing your own players. 

If I had to choose I’d do Teravainen at $6 million and Joshua at $3.5 million over Guentzel at $9.5 million. To me that’s less riskier and adds more balance to the left side. And our penalty kill gets much better. We have lots of space for Zadorov and Myers too. 

I disagree. Guentzel is a game breaker and a proven winner. We all saw how that affected us down the stretch. I wouldn't mind Teravainen either but we need more players like Guentzel.