[Speculation] Hurricanes Rumors: Jake Guentzel Likely to Hit Market, Rights available for mid round pick  

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

When was the last time Guentzel played meaningful playoff games?  2017?  Do small wingers who don’t kill penalties usually excel in the playoffs?  

Wasn’t JG the Canes best player in these playoffs? 

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Friedman on 32 thoughts believes Toffoli is ourback up target to Guentzel if we cannot sign him.

Im open to Toffoli the only thing is hes gonna take 21-30 Million to sign him maybe more. Hes been signing value deals for awhile and keeps proving himself.

Realistically he strikes me as a guy thats gonna score at least 20 till he hes 35.

So if hes hunting for an AAV of 6-7M the team that gives him the most term with a chance to compete for a cup is going to get him prolly.

And it just worries me to commit big money on term to him with Boeser contract coming up and JL coming up quick behind him.

I am not against it thoughI do like Toffoli I am just scared of term this summer.

Toffoli is 32…

Unless he’s willing to take a two year deal it makes no sense to sign a player that age who has already shown signs of slowing down.

If we can’t fix the top 6 problem this summer then don’t sign anyone. Getting stuck with more inflated middle 6 contracts with too much term is what we’re trying to get out of.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Toffoli is 32…

Unless he’s willing to take a two year deal it makes no sense to sign a player that age who has already shown signs of slowing down.

If we can’t fix the top 6 problem this summer then don’t sign anyone. Getting stuck with more inflated middle 6 contracts with too much term is what we’re trying to get out of.

We will have zero interest in Tofu. He’s too slow. 

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So is Reinhart, Marner, Nylander. Why do they kill penalties and Guentzel does not?  Why do we need to pay a guy almost $10 million who doesn’t play in all situations?  Even Boeser kills  penalties. 

Boeser averaged 1s of short handed time this season. Guentzel tripled that at 3s. 

Edited by DrJockitch

Just now, Alflives said:

We will have zero interest in Tofu. He’s too slow. 

I hope so.

I was good with him a few years ago, and even as a rental at the deadline. However for a team that has admitted they need to get faster Toffoli does not fit that need.

I’d rather fill the roster with 1 year stop gap players than sign a player for the sake of it that doesn’t address team needs.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

modern-family-ed-o-neill.gif

I’m not so sure it’s a bad idea. 

He’s a center, a proven winner and still has plenty of gas left in the tank. It would also bump Petey over to the wing, where he should be.

Also, as stated, the deal would be front loaded, to lower the average cap hit and make a buyout not be a total disaster, should it come to that, though I don’t think it would. 

The reason the pk stuff came up is because a certain poster claimed that Guentzel does everything well. Then posters who can't discuss honestly twisted it into he has to pk. They also ignored the physicality aspect as well.

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

How did the Canes do in this years playoffs?

Are you actually implying Guentzel is the sole reason Carolina didn't advance? Because that is ridiculous 

Edited by canuck73_3

18 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

I’m not so sure it’s a bad idea. 

He’s a center, a proven winner and still has plenty of gas left in the tank. It would also bump Petey over to the wing, where he should be.

Also, as stated, the deal would be front loaded, to lower the average cap hit and make a buyout not be a total disaster, should it come to that, though I don’t think it would. 

Be that as it may, I doubt he leaves Tampa 

It'd be very interesting if he hit the market, but I doubt he does 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Carolina added Guentzel to go for the cup. Didn’t help them much did it?  Why should we do the same? 

9 points in 11 games says he did.

Is he responsible for the entire teams success? Maybe they needed other guys to step up or better goaltending you think?

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

When was the last time Guentzel played meaningful playoff games?  2017?  Do small wingers who don’t kill penalties usually excel in the playoffs?  

67pts in 69 playoff games 

9 in 11 this season how much more consistant do you want?

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

67pts in 69 playoff games 

9 in 11 this season how much more consistant do you want?

I can’t believe people are bringing up his size and playoff production.

Like clearly his size hasn’t affected his ability to perform in a tough environment like the playoffs.

Spouting about a players height, points, and what their team did tells you they haven’t actually watched the player that much.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Miller took a super team friendly deal to live here. He’s an 11 mil guy. 
JG will sign with us: 9.5 x 7. 

Do you honestly believe that Miller left 21 million on the table? That's asinine.