[Speculation] Hurricanes Rumors: Jake Guentzel Likely to Hit Market, Rights available for mid round pick  

17 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think people are mostly overlooking this point.  Without Lindholm, they're probably playing Suter at 3C and that means Miller and Boeser need a winger as well.  

They need depth scoring, not one, high priced guy

Exactly! They don't need 1 winger they need 2!

2 hours ago, RWJC said:

Don’t be ignorant. It’s his decision.

High end UFAs go where they want to.

He probably accepted to CAR because like you mention he would be lined up with a high end C and they looked as though they were a strong playoff club.

We have a high end C and we’re a strong reg season and playoff club. 
We also have a need for a player of his ilk to elevate EP and as a major threat on the PP. what does the PP do? It’s your best opportunity to score goals. 
Again, what do goals get you…?

You seem to miss your own point We don't automatically get him. If he goes to UFA, we'll be competing for his services. Since this is probably his last contract, he'll want term; most likely 7 years.

I doubt the contract is 9.5 million exactly per year. So how is his contract structured to come to 9.5 million AAV? 11.5 mil at 30, 10.5 at 31, 10 at 32, 9.5 at 33, 9 at 34, 8.5 at 35 and 7.5 at 36?

34 minutes ago, BPA said:

The answer is to re-sign Boeser this summer to the $8M deal. 

Guentzal is expected to get $9.5(ish)m after 30 goals and 77 points.  Boeser had 40 goals and 73 points..........why would he take $8m?

Only our fan base would cry about signing a guy that would normally cost a first + to acquire, if this signing happens it completely makes the Lindy trade and walk excusable in my eyes, anyone else watching how the nhl is prioritizing and showcasing top end talent in the playoffs? It’s all about who has the better special teams for better part right now 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

23 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

You seem to miss your own point We don't automatically get him. If he goes to UFA, we'll be competing for his services. Since this is probably his last contract, he'll want term; most likely 7 years.

I doubt the contract is 9.5 million exactly per year. So how is his contract structured to come to 9.5 million AAV? 11.5 mil at 30, 10.5 at 31, 10 at 32, 9.5 at 33, 9 at 34, 8.5 at 35 and 7.5 at 36?

I don’t miss my own point. If you follow the thread I in no way infer he’s ours. In fact I state the opposite, that were at the mercy of what the market dictates and where the player wants to play out the remainder of his career. 
Not sure where you think I’ve stated the opposite…?

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Every winger in the NHL who makes a minimum of $9 million, scored at least 70 points last year and doesn’t kill penalties:

Nikita Kucherov - 144 points 

Artemi Panarin - 120 points 

David Pastrnak - 110 points 

Mikko Rantanen - 104 points 

Kirill Kaprizov - 96 points 

Filip Forsberg - 94 points 

Matthew Tkachuk - 88 points 

Jake Guentzel - 77 points 

This is a VERY small list.  Less than 10. One of these players is not like the others. Can you tell which one?  

Not that I agree or disagree with you but didn’t Guentzel play less games this year. I’d be curious to see what the points per game are for wingers in the league this season.

Edited by J-23

12 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Not that I agree or disagree with you but didn’t Guentzel play less games this year. I’d be curious to see what the points per game are for wingers in the league this season.

Every player on that list is a current or former 100+ point player.  Except Forsberg.  But I made an error on him as he only makes $8.5 million.

Doesn't matter how many games Guentzel played or didn't play.  He is in no way a 100 point player, not even in his prime years playing with Crosby...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

53 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

Bingo

Ans that's how you end up like Jets, Hurricanes, Stars and Islanders

Lot of depth but no pop

You need high end skill to win in the playoffs not a bunch of solid players

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, bh90 said:

Lot of depth but no pop

This. We can't say we want/need to get a winger for Petey then back out when we realize how much they'd cost. Depth is nice but doesn't mean a whole lot if you don't have the proper fire power. 

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Every player on that list is a current or former 100+ point player.  Except Forsberg.  But I made an error on him as he only makes $8.5 million.

Doesn't matter how many games Guentzel played or didn't play.  He is in no way a 100 point player, not even in his prime years playing with Crosby...

Never mentioned anything about 100 points..

• Huggy Bear 1

12 minutes ago, bh90 said:

Lot of depth but no pop

Petey

Miller

Boeser

Hughes 

There's your pop......then you support that group with depth scoring 

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

28 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I don’t miss my own point. If you follow the thread I in no way infer he’s ours. In fact I state the opposite, that were at the mercy of what the market dictates and where the player wants to play out the remainder of his career. 
Not sure where you think I’ve stated the opposite…?

You obviously did as you went ahead and ignored my point as well.

You're  arguing that he's worth 9.5 million because of his past stats and the fact that we'll be competing with other teams for his services. My point is that salary is not the only factor. You ignored term. I'm suggesting that term will have an effect on his AAV.

How would you structure his 7 year contract to come up with a 9.5 million AAV?

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

That is pure numbers speculation.They said Hronek deal will  start at 8.5 plus.We saw how that played out.

• ThereItIs 1

With LTIR, they have about $18.5m of cap space left and a lot of spots to fill........oh, and OEL

_______ Miller Boes

Hogz Petey _______

Podz Suter Garland

PDG Aman Mik

Hughes Hronek

Soucy _________

_______ Juulsen

Friedman

Demko

That's 6 spots left for 18.5m.......lets say

Silovs for $1m

Myers for $3m

Karlsson (extra fwd) - $.775

OEL - $2.36m

_______ Miller Boes

Hogz Petey _______

Podz Suter Garland

PDG Aman Mik

Karlsson

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Myers

_______ Juulsen

Friedman

Demko

Silovs

That leaves about $13.6m left and three big spots left to fill.  Theres different ways to go

#1 Priotitize Zadorov and pass on JG.  This one might mean you give DJ close to the $ hrs asking and out him into the top 6.  You might then be able to get a moderately priced top 6 rw for Petey.

#2 Find two lower tier top 6 wingers and use the rest on a #4-5 dman (preferably zad, but might still be out of reach).  I like Terravainen and Toffoli, but might put Zadorov out of reach then

#3 Blow your wad on JG and patchwork the rest.  That would mean Suter back in the top 6 and Blueger at 3C, but it pretty much means Zad is gone

#4 Put Garland into the top 6 rw spot beside Petey, get another solid top 6 lw and sign Joshua and Zad.

Personally, my preference is #4 and #1 as it reinforces the most areas and doesn't commit them to any high priced, long term deal.........even then, they're going to be hard pressed to get it all under the cap.  I just don't see anyway they can go after JG and have any kind of decent depth........obviously moving Mik, but even then the JG option is my last choice 

Edited by stawns

13 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

That is pure numbers speculation.They said Hronek deal will  start at 8.5 plus.We saw how that played out.

I'm speculating that this poster is ignoring term as a factor in AAV?

Maybe quote someone who is pushing the 9.5 million AAV narrative.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

With LTIR, they have about $18.5m of cap space left and a lot of spots to fill........oh, and OEL

_______ Miller Boes

Hogz Petey _______

Podz Suter Garland

PDG Aman Mik

Hughes Hronek

Soucy _________

_______ Juulsen

Friedman

Demko

That's 6 spots left for 18.5m.......lets say

Silovs for $1m

Myers for $3m

Karlsson (extra fwd) - $.775

OEL - $2.36m

_______ Miller Boes

Hogz Petey _______

Podz Suter Garland

PDG Aman Mik

Karlsson

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Myers

_______ Juulsen

Friedman

Demko

Silovs

That leaves about $13.6m left and three big spots left to fill.  Theres different ways to go

#1 Priotitize Zadorov and pass on JG.  This one might mean you give DJ close to the $ hrs asking and out him into the top 6.  You might then be able to get a moderately priced top 6 rw for Petey.

#2 Find two lower tier top 6 wingers and use the rest on a #4-5 dman (preferably zad, but might still be out of reach).  I like Terravainen and Toffoli, but might put Zadorov out of reach then

#3 Blow your wad on JG and patchwork the rest.  That would mean Suter back in the top 6 and Blueger at 3C, but it pretty much means Zad is gone

#4 Put Garland into the top 6 rw spot beside Petey, get another solid top 6 lw and sign Joshua and Zad.

Personally, my preference is #4 and #1 as it reinforces the most areas and doesn't commit them to any high priced, long term deal.........even then, they're going to be hard pressed to get it all under the cap.  I just don't see anyway they can go after JG and have any kind of decent depth 

Attach pick with Mik and it help a lot

4 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

Attach pick with Mik and it help a lot

Ya, if the plan is to just keep Mikheyev on the 4th line, then you have to just add the pick and move on.

2 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I'm speculating that this poster is ignoring term as a factor in AAV?

Maybe quote someone who is pushing the 9.5 million AAV narrative.

Nothing to quote.All so called insiders are feed by agents.From Eliot to Saravely.

21 hours ago, RWJC said:

If no Guentzel what’s your backup plan then? Keep in mind that the focus from PA is to add to top 6. Who and for how much?

I think if Guentzel is a no go, then probably have to dip into that secondary tier of players. Toffoli, maybe? But he's so slow, how is he going to fit into Tocchet's system? Debrusk? 

• Cheers 1